• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Chameleon Type

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
:bye:
Hi all. This thread will be dedicated to the chameleon type. What is the chameleon type you may ask? It is a type that can cause someone to turn into any type based on his or her surroundings. And it's within all of us. Yes, all 16 types are within us, but we choose to act upon one. Thus, our type is decided.
But what about those people whose type floats in between boarders? They can't simply be XXXXs, we all have a type no matter what. It's just for some, it can change so much in a small amount of time. Whether it be influenced on a thought, experience, or emotion. It is that one thought, experience, or emotion that brings out the chameleon type. It's what helps us keep our individuality, while being able to adapt at the same time.
The chameleon type would be the building blocks of 1 of the 16 types, that we form ourselves too. But what would happen if this chameleon type were too strong? For example, say there was a weak infp. And this infp was in a room full of ESFJs. This weak infp may start to exhibit some traits of the ESFJ. This may be because of the perceiving ability, and it's natural ability to adapt. But that still doesn't excuse the fact that types can change based on the surroundings. What I'm trying to get at is, why are some more prone to change types? Why are some not as prone? What can we do to stop changing types? What can we do to start changing types? What are your thoughts on all of this?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are more made up definitions for chameleon types in MBTI lingo as well. But as I understand the usual slang term chameleoning with MBTI means the ability to mimick other cognative functions. Not the ability to attain and use other cognative functions. As the latter is quite impossible or at the very least wouldn't likely have the desired outcome.

Types that are capable of detaching themselves from the world, themselves and their own feelings, are known to be very good at being chameleon in any situation. Not for extremely long periods of times, because it requires some concentration and definatly drains you more than just being yourself (naturally).

NP's, in particular INTP's are known to be pretty good at chameleon'ing on a regular bases.

I can't imagine J's being too good at it though. I think it's mainly a perceiver thing. Intuitive obviously helps with the execution of said chameleoning. Though a sensor wouldn't be incapable of it. Introverted people also seem to have a leg up on extraverted people in that introverted people have an easier time detaching from the norm. And thinkers have a leg up on feelers, because if you act upon your feelings, as a feeler, being a chameleon would obviously feel wrong and may drain the feeler very rapidly. Whereas a thinker would be able to last longer.

A chameleon type does not use other cognative functions than the cognative functions that are strong to his type. Chameleon'ing is a method of mimicking cognative functions by using the main cognative functions in a certain way.

TiNe (INTP's) is specifically suited for that process. But an INTP acting like a ESFP or INTJ or ENTJ or whatever the situation calls for. Is still an executing INTP. He doesn't rearrange his cognative function order or anything like that.

By attempting to forcefully use undevelopped cognative functions, for example Fe for me. Would result in extreme drainage, and I will become a grumpy angry person in no time. But mimicking Fe on the other hand is quite doable while maintaining my posture.

It's tough for us to chameleon around people we are close to or trust though, because that clashes with our sense of rightiousness. And we remain ourselves around those people.

Chameleoning is very effective for me in my line of work however. Customer relations, employee relations, etc. I maintain most of those by chameleoning. I even have a J mode that isn't like I try to force using other cognative functions (difference between J/P is biggest of all four letters cognative function wise) but I am capable ot mimicking J's planning and working with deadlines things when it's neccesary to get things done. But it's more like I numb down my own cognative functions to stick my brain into a certain pattern to get things done.

I've been known to see and dream numbers for hours on end after a day of doing boring administration work for example. I have to check all my work though because in that mode I am prone to make mistakes. I know I am so I can deal with it accordingly luckily, and that's where my cognative functions come to play again, as I can easily find and correct my mistakes and find it fun to do so. :D

But I'm starting to rant about too many things, I'll end this post for now. :)

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think xSFPs, and ESFPs in particular because they're extroverted, are supposed to be the most likely to be excessively "chameleon" - they're great at looking (and probably feeling) comfortable in a wide variety of situations, but it can mean they don't have a strong sense of identity, don't hold to strong convictions, and change their beliefs and personality on the whim of a moment/depending who they're with.

I am generalising, of course, but I have to admit I've observed some of this with people who I am pretty sure are ESFPs.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think xSFPs, and ESFPs in particular because they're extroverted, are supposed to be the most likely to be excessively "chameleon" - they're great at looking (and probably feeling) comfortable in a wide variety of situations, but it can mean they don't have a strong sense of identity, don't hold to strong convictions, and change their beliefs and personality on the whim of a moment/depending who they're with.

I am generalising, of course, but I have to admit I've observed some of this with people who I am pretty sure are ESFPs.

That's fitting in, not chameleoning by mimicking other cognative functions which I meant though.

ESFP's are definatly the type that can most easily fit in just about every social situation, no doubt about that. But they don't chameleon MBTI-wise, they are just themselves. :D

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
People are pre-disposed to be comfortable in, and to survive in their environment.

An INFP in a room full of ESFJs might get "uncomfortable."

If they didn't have the option of leaving, it would behoove them to be able to identify with the population they are surrounded by. Learning their behaviors and mannerisms might be one way of doing it.

I know that people with a "strong personality" (not MBTI type) will simply plow through their environment as they are, focusing more on what their objectives are, and not necessarily the behaviors of others.

BUT - even the most strong of personalities might do themselves a dis-service if they do not know the social customs and norms of their locale. Take for example an American businessman in Japan. He better not be the same outspoken, loud, fast moving dude he is back in the U.S. If he is, then he risks offending his potential clients, and compromising his objectives.

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as the terms are situational, based on the people interacting with one and other, and the objectives of all at hand.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's fitting in, not chameleoning by mimicking other cognative functions which I meant though.

Yeah, in terms of cognitive functions I'm not too familiar with what this would mean, guess this thread might educate me ;)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I think there are sayings like "When in Rome do what the Romans do". I think any type with a strong drive to succeed and/or please and some guile/cunning can be chameleon. You'd think Fe would help here, but XNFPs are types that others can easily project onto and be what the person wants them to be.

I've seen ENTP's "chameleon" - not all the time seamlessly or well - but I've seen them try because they find it serves a purpose or is convenient for them. Actually, Fe goes a long way here. I've tried for work and social, I'm not bad at it, I prefer not to but I also have desire to belong (at least I admit it you interwebz haterz!).

I would say in any type there are people who are close to 50/50 on percentages who can 'flex', or you know introverts who can socialize well, etc. but in general types that cannot and do not flex or chameleon - IXTP. :shakes head: No.

SilkRoad

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Again, this isn't particularly in terms of cognitive functions, but I think my INTJ mom is the least "chameleon" person I can think of... :D

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I know that people with a "strong personality" (not MBTI type) will simply plow through their environment as they are, focusing more on what their objectives are, and not necessarily the behaviors of others.

Totally agree. And being smug ruins anyone's ability to chameleon effectively. Their true objective/true thoughts are SO OBVIOUS.

I have a sales background and much involvement with community organizing and some people SO OBVIOUSLY think they are fooling you or doing a good job of making you think something or "getting in good" with you when they're not. It's so fake to me. Seems to work on some people.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Apparently..The closer you are to X, the more healthy and balanced you are.

Why do people seem to think this is a bad thing??

Hold on to those 4 letters for dear life folks. After all, They define you

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The traditional chameleon is a 9.

gromit

likes this
Apparently..The closer you are to X, the more healthy and balanced you are.

Why do people seem to think this is a bad thing??

Hold on to those 4 letters for dear life folks. After all, They define you

Sarcastic post or serious post? I cannot tell...

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
So far people have said xsfp and nines. Interesting. You feel you are chameleon like?

Yes I do. I'm a weak INFJ but I do have a very strong N. And I am a 9 so maybe my Enneagram type in influencing this more than my MBTI type. hmmm, I don't know.

wolfy

awsm
I am xsfp and nine. I'm not sure what a chameleon type is. I don't change my behaviour and action much in any circumstance if that is what it is. I do fit in to almost any scene though. I think that is due to generally being more responsive than initiating.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seems to me the types most likely to be chameleon-like in behavior are Fe types and Se types -- and especially the two types that combine both (ENFJ and ESTP). As for being chameleon-like in type itself, that would be exceedingly difficult because type does not define how one behaves. It defines how one thinks, which only has a marginal relationship with how they act. However, some functional combinations can look like others, or like one other function, to the naked eye. For example, Si + Te can make for a passable imitation of Ti.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i can see how people would say i am chameleon-like.
i don't try to change or act differently. i think that i instinctively expose different sides of myself at different times. there are a lot of sides to people, so i just try to stay loose enough to let any part take the lead.
i like to enjoy people, different people in different ways. and i like to enjoy different sides of myself. i don't feel i need to be the same thing to all people.

i have consistency of heart, consistency of spirit, consistency of principles - i have that foundation, and the rest of me can slide around free and loose on top.

if i am chameleon-like i think it is because i like to enjoy people - so i let myself adapt to the situation, adapt to a person.
i am an ESFP and a enneagram 9 also.