• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI is not Typology.

Mole

Permabanned
This is Typology Central, so what is typology?

Typology is -

1. a classification according to general type, especially in archaeology, psychology, or the social sciences : a typology of Saxon cremation vessels.

2. study or analysis using such classification.

3. the study and interpretation of types and symbols, originally especially in the Bible.

'Typology' originated in the mid 19th century : from Greek tupos ‘type’ + -logy.

Notice there is no mention whatsoever of MBTI, none whatsoever.

Of course we could speak of psychological typology, but it is sheer nonsense to speak of MBTI as typology.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sci·ence
   /ˈsaɪəns/ Show Spelled[sahy-uhns] Show IPA
–noun
a branch of knowledge or study dealing with a body of facts or truths systematically arranged and showing the operation of general laws: the mathematical sciences.
systematic knowledge of the physical or material world gained through observation and experimentation.
any of the branches of natural or physical science.
systematized knowledge in general.
knowledge, as of facts or principles; knowledge gained by systematic study.
a particular branch of knowledge.
skill, esp. reflecting a precise application of facts or principles; proficiency.

Hey, I don't see any mention of psychology, chemistry, biology, neurology, astronomy, geology, ecology, epidemiology, toxicology, mineralogy, meteorology, anthropology, paleontology, thermodynamics, or zoology!

Clearly, because these subcategories are not specifically mentioned by name in the dictionary entry about the larger category, they are not sciences.

:doh:

For crying out loud.

For once I must agree. Is Victor still your favorite "deep thinker" on the forum? :rofl1:

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
i guess if you really want to get that semantically specific about it, MBTI is an assessment based off jungian typology.

victor, i'm still trying to picture who you are. it's baffling.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
+1

i'd really like to know many things about victor. :yes:

I want to have drinks with him one day, might be fun :)!

Victor, If I ever make it out to Australia can we kick it? I'll promise not to smoke ciggies ;).

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Victor wasn't born, but created in a lab September 19, 1972, in the same underground labs presented at the beginning of Pineapple Express. The rest of the story is classified.

Mole

Permabanned
A Conference Call for Four

+1

i'd really like to know many things about victor. :yes:

Dear Chloé, Skylights and Sparrow,

The four of us can speak together on the phone in a conference call whenever we like. Just say the word.

Victor on Lake Burley Griffin.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is Typology Central, so what is typology?

Typology is -

1. a classification according to general type, especially in archaeology, psychology, or the social sciences : a typology of Saxon cremation vessels.

2. study or analysis using such classification.

3. the study and interpretation of types and symbols, originally especially in the Bible.

'Typology' originated in the mid 19th century : from Greek tupos ‘type’ + -logy.

Notice there is no mention whatsoever of MBTI, none whatsoever.

Of course we could speak of psychological typology, but it is sheer nonsense to speak of MBTI as typology.

:yes:

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
MBTI =

My

Big

Toe

Itches :cheese:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You do realize if you were a woman what body parts you could have used for the letter T? The question is, do women ever find them "itchy."

No, my teeth never itch.
(My tongue, though? On occasion.)

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't forget the Thymus gland and the many others.

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
thread starter person who's that person on your avatar?