• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I think MBTI is full of it.

fill

"Everything in its place"
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Why? Because I've willingly made changes to my personality from INFP to INFJ to ENTP, now closer to ENTJ, simply so I can succeed in different areas in life more efficiently.

The test is self-fulfilling, and I think it's easy to manipulate it to make it say what you want it to say. I think a test isn't good enough, and that objective analysis of one's life, current relationship with family and friends, behavior, etc. needs to take place for a legitimate assessment of what someone's preferred "type" happens to be.

Either way, I can just about mimic any type I damned well pleased to get what I want. After about a month of acting out a type, I simply fall into it and "become it."

The fact that I can reprogram how I behave in a matter of weeks makes this indicator less and less useful as a source of insight to how I act and more as a tool to identify my behavior and manipulate it.

Who else has this problem?

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I agree, it is pretty stupid to think your personality has anything to do with celestial bodies and their astronomical arrangements at the time of your birth. Anyone who believes that stuff is surely substantially lacking in reasoning skills. Honestly, I could dismiss the attributes of those assigned to me which do not subjectively fit my tastes in what I think represents me as I would like to be, while highlighting the ones that do and pointing out that it can't just be a coincidence or generalized slurring of descriptions to fit anybody's personality mold. It's not like a major study has been done on tracking a large number of subjects who were born within minutes of each other to see if their personality traits correlate and mimic one another when they grew up and found absolutely no evidence that it is true. And if people question why I even look into that stuff I'll just tell them "It's for fun! GAWD! can't you lighten up? It's just interesting to read my daily horoscope, stop patronizing me for just being curious enough to look."

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I think a test isn't good enough, and that objective analysis of one's life, current relationship with family and friends, behavior, etc. needs to take place for a legitimate assessment of what someone's preferred "type" happens to be.

Every MBTI test I have seen has recommended further exploration--some form of objective analysis of one's life, current relationship with family and friends, behavior, etc. in addition to taking the test.

Maybe you found a test that didn't recommend further exploration.

Or maybe you just didn't read the part that suggested you do further exploration.

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Every MBTI test I have seen has recommended further exploration--some form of objective analysis of one's life, current relationship with family and friends, behavior, etc. in addition to taking the test.

Maybe you found a test that didn't recommend further exploration.

Or maybe you just didn't read the part that suggested you do further exploration.

That's a possibility. My main gripe has to do with function analysis. I can point out functions I'm currently "using," and if I think my current set of functions is detrimental to how well I work in a situation, I will consciously switch them around for new ones to find the right fit.

Short story: I don't think I have a "natural preference" to any type.

@snuggletron: What?

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
You said the answer yourself, that the test isn't enough. The theory is sound, but a lot of people's lives alter their personality temporarily against their will. I believe there is a preference, it's just that your upbringing and environment factors into how developed and understood it is. Many people just fail at the level of self-awareness required for the objective analysis of one's life.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's a possibility. My main gripe has to do with function analysis. I can point out functions I'm currently "using," and if I think my current set of functions is detrimental to how well I work in a situation, I will consciously switch them around for new ones to find the right fit.

I think you're overanalyzing all this, Brother Fill. :yes:

Please consider the following:

10 years ago I tested ENTJ.

I didn't even touch an MBTI book for 8 years after the initial test.

Then I took a different, paid test (more comprehensive than just MBTI) and got ESTP.

When it comes down to it, according to the function preferences in my footer, I'm definitely an Extrovert, and show a strong preference for T vs. F.

BUT - I'm almost perfectly balanced on J/P (48/52) and near balanced on N/S (40/60).

So, I could be ESTX or even EXTX on the right day.

Now look at the type descriptions for all ExTx types: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENTP, and ESTP. What do you see?

ENTJ - Jung Type Descriptions

ENTJ - Jung Type Descriptions

ENTP - Jung Type Descriptions

ESTP - Jung Type Descriptions

They all have many of the same words in common describing the archetype of these individuals.

At one point I tested as an "Ambivert" (balanced E/I) and another ISTP.

Then I was told to try and develop my Feelings as a means of directly combatting depression I suffered about a year ago. It was really difficult to turn them on, but once I did I was alot better at sorting through problems, especially those that couldn't be solved in a spreadsheet. After that I tested ESFP and even ISFP. :doh:

Once you know the tests it's easier to game them, but there are others that are better at getting to the root of it without commonly used questions.

Short story: I don't think I have a "natural preference" to any type.

My bet is you do, but you are rtoo focused on the trees to see the forest right now. If you forget all about this stuff ffor a few months, you will settle back into your default preference.

-----

New topic:

Have you tested for your Enneagram type?

I'm 7w8 sx/so.

Here's a decent quick test for your ring:

Free Enneagram Personality Test

The Enneagram type description for 7w8 sx/so tells ALOT about me that even the better ESTP type descriptions do not state.

I'm better off with the ESTP type descriptions if I (a) delete some of the stupid negative shit in it, and (b) consider my 7w8 sx/so description for material to fill in what the ESTP type descriptions misses. Between the two you get a farily good generic representation of key aspects of my personality. But, I'm a tricky bastard, so don't count on all of it in trying to figure me out. :newwink:

Good luck, Brother Fill! I hope you are well! :party2:

-A.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9
I think looking at function usage and orientation is ultimately more useful, particularly if you don't fit any particular archetype that closely. Being able to "act like another type", although I suspect this equates more to acting like the stereotype of another type (though this obviously depends on your level of understanding) may indicate a greater degree of functional maturity and mental flexibility.

Ultimately however, most people who want to fit the archetype (or stereotype) associated with the type they test as are going to end up doing so, and most who don't, won't, precisely because the enhanced awareness that learning about the types and functions gives you, opens up new options for modifying your habituated patterns of thought and behaviour. You can choose to make use of that knowledge to change who you are or you can use it to reinforce who you are. Same process, aimed at defining your self-perception, except that one may lead to you getting a different result in future and the other will lead to you getting the same.

I don't think it's very useful as a predictive or deterministic system to tell you how you ought to be, which is what a lot of people unfortunately choose to take it as being. It's quite good for describing how you are at the moment, if understood correctly. Also, obviously, any self-assessment test, once you know the rationale on which it operates, can be manipulated to give the result you want to achieve. Nothing surprising about that. The more interesting question I would want you to ask yourself is why you would feel the need to do so, and what you get out of it?

Little_Sticks

This is the biggest problem I have with any kind of psychology in particular that suggests there is a right way of being. Jungian enthusiasts and the like that believe type is inherent and set in stone can be just as bad as a psychiatrist that believes in mental illness as the cause for all of humanities ill-wills (not going to even mention the idea of medication).

Now if a lot of people find this useful and find that it explains a lot about them and others and can use that to better deal with and understand and help other people, then great. But it scares me when people start to believe they are one thing or another and nothing can change that. If you take away what someone believes in, what becomes of them? They say you learn what someone truly is underneath when they have everything (including beliefs) taken away from them...

rav3n

Why? Because I've willingly made changes to my personality from INFP to INFJ to ENTP, now closer to ENTJ, simply so I can succeed in different areas in life more efficiently.
Congratulations! You've figured out how to effectively utilize MBTI and Jungian theory. They're intended to illustrate your strengths and weaknesses, so you have a starting point.

The final tests of pass or fail, will be how you react when under severe stress or handling trauma that impacts on your inferior or shadow functions.

G

garbage

I'm sure that we've all got limits to exactly how far we can "bend," but I'm sure that we can bend a lot more than we give ourselves credit for. The capability matures as we mature.

To a certain extent, I look at MBTI to see the things that I have to work on in myself. I'd like to be balanced in terms of functional descriptions. Having a "one size fits all" mentality to life stifles growth as a person.

(Balance isn't about "either/or"--it's "and.")

They're intended to illustrate your strengths and weaknesses, so you have a starting point.

+ a billion

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx

EVERY INFP THINKS THEY ARE UNTYPEABLE!

That's part of MBTI!

Little_Sticks

EVERY INFP THINKS THEY ARE UNTYPEABLE!

That's part of MBTI!

Then more than half the world is an INFP because most don't even believe in this. I know you're joking though, I'm just purposefully being serious.

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think looking at function usage and orientation is ultimately more useful, particularly if you don't fit any particular archetype that closely. Being able to "act like another type", although I suspect this equates more to acting like the stereotype of another type (though this obviously depends on your level of understanding) may indicate a greater degree of functional maturity and mental flexibility.

I'll call it my "technique." My technique involves not reading a book or website about the "type" I want to transform into, but finding weak spots in areas in life I consider important, enough so to change the way I behave. For instance, while behaving as an ENTP, my attention span lowered dramatically, and I had a difficult time getting work done. I decided to think in terms of Te. I began thinking Ti, only in an external instance as well as thinking in schemes instead of singular possibilities. Did it work? Yes. Last night I made very good friends with an ESFJ acquaintance I'd always weirded out with my "ENTP-ness." Maybe it was coincidence, but this happened as well when started my ENTP phase: I began becoming very close friends with ISFPs I'd known for a long time but never held a meaningful conversation with.

Ultimately however, most people who want to fit the archetype (or stereotype) associated with the type they test as are going to end up doing so, and most who don't, won't, precisely because the enhanced awareness that learning about the types and functions gives you, opens up new options for modifying your habituated patterns of thought and behaviour. You can choose to make use of that knowledge to change who you are or you can use it to reinforce who you are. Same process, aimed at defining your self-perception, except that one may lead to you getting a different result in future and the other will lead to you getting the same.

Spot on.

I don't think it's very useful as a predictive or deterministic system to tell you how you ought to be, which is what a lot of people unfortunately choose to take it as being. It's quite good for describing how you are at the moment, if understood correctly. Also, obviously, any self-assessment test, once you know the rationale on which it operates, can be manipulated to give the result you want to achieve. Nothing surprising about that. The more interesting question I would want you to ask yourself is why you would feel the need to do so, and what you get out of it?

Again, Gospel.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
take it from a pro. mbti is full of "it" but if you look beneath the surface and find jungian typology you'll be in good shape. jung was empty of it.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Then more than half the world is an INFP because most don't even believe in this.

Um, no. The statements "Every INFP thinks that they are untypeable" and "Every person who thinks they are untypeable is INFP" are not congruent and never will be.

fill

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
New topic:

Have you tested for your Enneagram type?

I'm 7w8 sx/so.

Here's a decent quick test for your ring:

Free Enneagram Personality Test

8w9 sx/so/sp

Previous Enneagram results:

4w5 sx/so/sp
5w4 sx/so/sp
3w4 sx/so/sp
7w6 sx/so/sp
7w8 sx/so/sp
9w8 sx/so/sp

My sexual variant has always been consistent, which I find fascinating.

The final tests of pass or fail, will be how you react when under severe stress or handling trauma that impacts on your inferior or shadow functions.

And I await eagerly for this moment; I don't like stress, but I do expect it and would be utterly disappointed if it never came again in my life.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
congrats, nobody that has any idea wtf he's talking about actually uses MBTI; they all use Jungian typology

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The test is self-fulfilling, and I think it's easy to manipulate it to make it say what you want it to say. I think a test isn't good enough, and that objective analysis of one's life, current relationship with family and friends, behavior, etc. needs to take place for a legitimate assessment of what someone's preferred "type" happens to be.

I am with you on the things you've said. I had this lately in another thread and I concluded that mbti is a piece of the great puzzle that is life. It brought me valueable new ideas about personality and I dont want to miss them.

Mbti has one certain attribute, it attracts both tribe people and loners, this is what makes it success. The thing is, tribe people will always join any groups in their lives, so you cant really expect from them that they will start to think now with mbti for the first time.

Loners tho can find said valueable information and get help on their quest of self. If they tho wont stay sceptic about mbti, like about everything else, it wouldnt really help them.

Psychdigg

The problem with MBTI and all the personality inventories is that even if they accurately describe your personality you have to index that personality with a date and time. John Doe (Aug 12 2010 5:00 PM) has generated a profile that Myers-Briggs (1961 or whenever) determined to be similar to ENTP.

These tests are no more than cold reading.

For instance: Which describes you best? a. You are the life of the party. OR b. You keep in the background.

If you answer You are the life of the party. Lo and behold your profile says: You are the type that tends to be the life of the party. Oh WOW! How did they know that?

This is why I use somatotypes. It is objective and can't change. It tells your personality in its genotype - unadapted state. A lot of you ridicule somatotype because you think it identifies you as a type you don't prefer. The type you prefer is your current type that has been conditioned by all sorts of intrusions into your true self. Naturally, at this point you fail to recognize your true self. The purpose of therapy is to restore your true core personality. Somatotype is the only tool that can help you do that. (see my blogs)

Jaguar

This is why I use somatotypes. It is objective and can't change. Tells your personality in its genotype - unadapted state. A lot of you ridicule somatotype because you think you think it identifies you as a type you don't prefer. The type you prefer is your current type that has been conditioned by all sorts of intrusions into your true self. Naturally, at this point you fail to recognize your true self. The purpose of therapy is to restore your true core personality. Somatotype is the only tool that can help you do that. (see my blogs)

And for 3.99 you, too, can buy a somatopotato peeler. It's objective to you.
It doesn't mean it's objective to anyone else.