• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

S vs N distinction?

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm trying to type my friend and I have no idea if he is an S or an N so I was wondering if people could explain the S vs N distinction.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
how in tune is he with his environment (including the present)? :huh:

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not sure. He is alot sometimes.. but then again he isn't at all.

Stevo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Does he tend to talk in hypotheticals and "What if"s? This is more Ne than Ni but it is still a pretty good indicator.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Is he more focused on/interested in what is (S) or what could be (N)?

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure. He is alot sometimes.. but then again he isn't at all.

I'm a borderline case myself and tend to zone out to my own little world on occasion, but I'm much more present focused than future focused, and I tend to appreciate what is more than what could be :)

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
also Ss are usually more detail-oriented and Ns are usually more big-picture people. S is generally more practical and N is generally more theoretical. N will usually take longer to explain to you how they figured something out, and sometimes will have no clue. :laugh:

whatever said:
I tend to appreciate what is more than what could be :)

i typically think of this as the most fundamental breakdown of the dichotomy :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: on the big picture thing, I tend to see the big picture... of what's going on NOW!

and I'm not detail oriented in particular :unsure: there's a definite difference between Si and Se that people fail to discuss when talking about the differences between S and N :newwink:

DJAchtundvierzig

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay... I have now figured out he is an S! Thank you everyone!

Random Ness

Does anyone think a difference between N and S is deep vs. shallow? As in, pondering the deeper meaning behind things vs. not? Being tortured by deeper insights vs. being oblivious? Dwelling over things that are important in the long run vs. dwelling over temporary things that won't matter later on?

Don't hurt me I'm new... :eek:

R

ReflecTcelfeR

It is an underlying tone in some peoples beliefs, but it isn't so much brought to the surface.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:laugh: on the big picture thing, I tend to see the big picture... of what's going on NOW!

and I'm not detail oriented in particular :unsure: there's a definite difference between Si and Se that people fail to discuss when talking about the differences between S and N :newwink:

true that. Si seems more detail oriented and Se seems more physically oriented, if that makes sense

KDude

Does anyone think a difference between N and S is deep vs. shallow? As in, pondering the deeper meaning behind things vs. not? Being tortured by deeper insights vs. being oblivious? Dwelling over things that are important in the long run vs. dwelling over temporary things that won't matter later on?

Don't hurt me I'm new... :eek:

I've been confused on S and N priorities myself.. But if I am an S, then I certainly don't consider myself oblivious. My thoughts and aspirations shift toward longterm or ideal too. Yet, I don't really want to consider myself "deep" if I'm an N. Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.. I just think it's kind of rude to write anyone off in that way. There has to be S's who are on the same page as N's somewhat. There might be an ESFP out there with well thought out spiritual or philosophical beliefs, or had thought provoking experiences, or reads a lot, or maybe even just watches good movies..whatever!..something.. and in turn, it aids in illuminating a lot of their thinking in other areas in life...where they aren't focused merely on the personal/short term/economical/or hedonistic. If that's not the case, and that some people are predestined to be caught up in themselves, or defined by their surroundings or their upbringing to that extent, simply because of MBTI type, then... that's kind of facepalm worthy, I guess. I would hope that people have more free will to not limit their creativity or concerns like that.