• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Certainty in type and satisfaction with MBTI

Which of the following describes you best?

• Total voters
G

garbage

go go public polls

I hardly give a damn about the underlying theory. MBTI is basically a good, accessible reframing of the common knowledge that there are differences in the way people perceive and act. For that, it's pretty useful.

for the record, I put that my type's pretty uncertain

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm quite satisfied with the MBTI, and I am quite certain of my own type.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
I am extremely extremely satisfied in MBTI

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
To me, MBTI is just "something to do."

I am uncertain of my type.

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
DC, would you expect someone with more uncertain type to be less satisfied with the instrument?

Yes. Because the less they know about MBTI, the less they will be satisfied with the instrument.

I took lots of MBTI tests. But I am convinced about my type since I started studying the MBTI thoroughly, not only by reading type descriptions (because I can identify with aspects of another types), but the cognitive processes, which I can relate to much better than to any type description.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
How about if the uncertainty of type comes from having "too even" preferences as opposed to a lack of knowledge?

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Even preferences, I know. Still, I think that each one has a dominant process that comes naturally, despite being able to use another functions.

I notice that when my dominant function can´t help me solve a particular problem, which happens frequently when information is missing.

I have to make use of intuitive thinking to "fill in the blanks", by trying to look at the situation from different angles (thinking about possible scenarios that may unfold from what I know, or the ways that it can fit into the present context; which are not presented in the information I have, that´s why I call them "blanks"). And I can do so without any difficulty, even to the point of enjoying it sometimes.

But, I know that does not mean I am "mistyped", or creates a "type confusion" in my head. I know that of all mental processes, the first one that I naturally reach for in everyday life is my dominant. If it fails to help me, I have no problem in using intuition.

G

garbage

Welp, if dichotomies bimodal distributions, MBTI would actually suffice as a typology tool. As it stands, either (a) the average person really has no clear preference, (b) tests don't measure them very well, or (c) there's a better or more refined set of dichotomies out there.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
DC - ok, I accept that having relatively even preferences doesn't guarantee type confusion. I was wondering if people most want the MBTI to classify them, and if it fails, they deem the MBTI failed. It's an instrument, it's supposed to measure..

I'm curious of how much importance people place on the accuracy of the instrument, and how important people hold that the instrument accurately measures them.

Bologna, the lack of bimodal distribution is a big problem of the instrument. It might work ok if it produced some type-centered clustered in more dimensions. Nevertheless, normally distributed parameters - like in IQ - still matter.

When people speak of intelligence, they don't seem to make a great distinction between people of over and under 100 IQ. They mostly seem to treat the average as one group, and people of differing intelligence with varying accuracy.

rav3n

MBTI is a good starting point for delving further into Jungian cognitive functions and theories.

G

garbage

Bologna, the lack of bimodal distribution is a big problem of the instrument. It might work ok if it produced some type-centered clustered in more dimensions. Nevertheless, normally distributed parameters - like in IQ - still matter.

When people speak of intelligence, they don't seem to make a great distinction between people of over and under 100 IQ. They mostly seem to treat the average as one group, and people of differing intelligence with varying accuracy.

Normally distributed parameters definitely matter, for sure. But if they are normally distributed, people should treat them as such, rather than assuming that there are pure hardline dichotomies, categories, and functions.

It's just much, much more elegant for the theory to assume that dichotomies are bimodal. :doh:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well, it would be better for the theory yes - but then, normal distribution could best justify a 3-level preference, the middle being "no preference".

I think it would make a fine system.

G

garbage

Well, it would be better for the theory yes - but then, normal distribution could best justify a 3-level preference, the middle being "no preference".

I think it would make a fine system.

God, someone needs to make this mainstream. Have ±1σ represent "I really don't have a strong preference :)" or something.

:popc1:

Coco

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I picked the last one, but meant to pick the 6th one.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Quite satisfied and somewhat certain of my type.