• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

NF/NT vs SP/SJ?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I could probably find this out if I looked it up, but I thought maybe some people here could summarize it fairly easily.

Why are the types broken down into the categories of NF/NT and SP/SJ? Why not NF, NT, SF and ST? Or NP, NJ, SP and FJ? It seems kind of inconsistent that Ns are categorized with the F/T and Ss with P/J. But I'm sure there's a good reason for it!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Keirsey was the one that did it. From his observations, the iNtuitive Thinkers had more in common with each other than the iNtutive Feelers. But for the Sensors, the Perceivers and Judgers had more in common with each other.

Someone will come along and explain exactly why (I'm a bit fuzzy on it).

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I understand, N was paired with T/F because intuition is primarily internal. And I guess that they saw that T/F had more of an affect internally? So they paired them like that because NTs would think alike and NFs would think alike.

As for the S's, I think they figured that P/J is more how to deal with the world, and since S is well, more grounded in reality, SPs would deal with reality in similar ways and SJs would deal with reality in similar ways.

NPs, NJs, SFs, and STs have their similarities too; but I think it's more noticeable with how they've grouped them.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, it's hard to explain.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^^Ha, yeah, the question was hard to explain, too! I think I know what you're getting at, and that makes sense.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
From what I understand, N was paired with T/F because intuition is primarily internal. And I guess that they saw that T/F had more of an affect internally? So they paired them like that because NTs would think alike and NFs would think alike.

As for the S's, I think they figured that P/J is more how to deal with the world, and since S is well, more grounded in reality, SPs would deal with reality in similar ways and SJs would deal with reality in similar ways.

Yeah... That was the basic gist.

It really depends on what you want to look at.
Sometimes it is useful to compare SF vs ST, or NP vs NJ, or even other combinations.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ni and Ne are more like with each other than Se and Si

KDude

I mentioned it in another thread recently.. but I noticed others (beside Keirsey), group according to dominant function (Thomson, Quenk, etc). It creates more categories, but I think it makes more sense. IFP, INJ, ESP, ENP, ITP, ISJ, EFJ, ETJ. I think "artisan" and "idealist" or "rational" just create false dichotomies. I mean, it doesn't exactly work out that way in practice, does it?

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

NPs, NJs, SFs, and STs have their similarities too; but I think it's more noticeable with how they've grouped them.

Sorry if I'm being unclear, it's hard to explain.

Where'd you hear this? I always wondered if it might ultimately be something like that.

Keirsey seemed to choose the groups because they best fit the ancient temperaments and Kretschmer's character styles.
As those models were built on a different framework, they did not map together symmetrically (same rules for S as for N).