• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ti vs. Te, do they trust each other?

Do you trust it? Are you comfortable with it?

• I am Ti dom and I have discomfort with Te doms

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I am Te dom and I have discomfort with Ti doms

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • I am Ti dom and I have no discomfort with Te doms

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • I am Te dom and I have no discomfort with Ti doms

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok. here we go. First off.

"When I run sessions on the 8 cognitive processes, I separate my groups into Te and Ti groups and give them a project. What I notice is that the Te group tends to get their HANDS on the elements of the project, spread them around, and physically position them. The Ti group tends to lean back, fold their arms, and theorize endlessly about the project and seldom actually touch the elements. Ti seems to want to "think it through," while Te seems to want to "get it done." The introverted and extraverted aspects of this process seem very apparent to me, and the contrast in "timetables" is fascinating.

When the 2 groups debrief their projects, the Te people notice nothing "got done" on the Ti side. In return, the Ti people want to know what *principles* the Te people were using, and have a concern about all that activity "for the sake of what?"

Elsewhere online I have seen vicious debates between people who say the outer world should conform to the inner world, and others who say the inner world should conform to the outer world. (Things like, "if the facts don't fit the theory, then change the theory" VERSUS "if the facts don't fit the theory, then something is flawed about the research method" and similar remarks that illustrate e/i differences.)

I believe John Beebe has said it is common for Te people to take Ti principles and "dogmatize" them. So, for instance, Jung's theory of psychological types is often presented as discrete, absolute categories when in fact it is a model of *preferences*. So right there you can see Te/Ti differences."

(that was posted by Vicky Jo Varner (infjorinfp.com author) on the cognitiveprocesses.com forum page)

Also, on Dario Nardi PhD Home Page go to 'free articles' and in the article 'The wisdom of the sixth function, read the part about Ti (for I_TJs) and about Te (for E_TPs).

Read Einstien's relativity paper and see how you handle it (The thing is an introverted thinking manifesto. He comes up with a whole new theory out of a mere desire to make two frameworks consistent with each other)

I do notice that DomTi professors often don't (or don't even try to) guage how quickly and easily students digest material. they might dedicate equal amount of time and explanation to the most difficult and easiest material in a class, sending students into a panic one week and lulling them back to sleep the next (and all they while not even noticing these effects).

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
Excellent post @ Gabe.

I work very well with INTJs, who can typically temper their Te behind a more nebulous wall of Ni. ENTJs are usually too abrasive for close contact for long. They can make it hard for me to think. Depending on the dynamics and degree of familiarity, I either wait till I can withdraw, or ask them to stfu.

Respect sometimes becomes a problem in a more personal relationship with either, but especially with the ENTJ.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you are an Intp, and they are an ENTJ, you probably confuse them. To extraverted thinking types, introverted thinking types seem prone to 'overcomplicate' everything.
Regardless of this persons type, you could mention out loud that they're making it hard for you to think.
Although I know an ENTJ friend who is constantly frustrated with out INTP professor, I think this only carries on because both parties aren't *trying* to get back on the same page.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From what I can tell, T is about understanding the nature of something in order to work with it in the best way possible, in general. Te tends towards being about achievement and efficiency towards the goal, and Ti is about specifying the nature of what's being dealt with. Both eventually incorporate part of the other's process to some extent, however.

Another difference I've noted (generally, not always) is that people with conscious Ti seem to tend more towards pessimism and worry/self-doubt about their abilities, while people with conscious Te seem to tend towards optimism that any setbacks in the charted course can be worked around.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Another reason is that I tend to end up having fights over the meanings of words with them and I hate that. I feel like they refuse to understand the spirit of what I'm saying, and instead they want to pick apart my word choices. I guess I feel like they not only don't understand me, but are choosing to not understand me, so we can have a fight instead.

:D These are the exact type of arguments I get into with my ESTJ friend. I love to argue though, cause I think I tend to think that if we go at it long enough, we can both arrive at the logical truth.

In college now, I find a lot of my professors in lecture-heavy classes are clearly Ti. (As opposed to high school where a disportionate number of SJ teachers reigned.) I kind of like it, especially since it makes them sort of laid back and easy to discuss back and forth with, but sometimes they can really be divorced from the source material. It can be a very from their mind to yours sort of learning experience, which can be frustrating if you want to know specifics- like from the book or what's going to be on the test.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
In college now, I find a lot of my professors in lecture-heavy classes are clearly Ti. (As opposed to high school where a disportionate number of SJ teachers reigned.) I kind of like it, especially since it makes them sort of laid back and easy to discuss back and forth with, but sometimes they can really be divorced from the source material. It can be a very from their mind to yours sort of learning experience, which can be frustrating if you want to know specifics- like from the book or what's going to be on the test.

Although what's interesting about that is, that if I listen to them talk, so many inherent principles and archetypes permeate their material that I can eventually guess what they're going to say next. It's like they take everything they're teaching you, and fit it into predictable paradigms in their mind. Ti's often seem to lead everything they perceive back to how it relates to the same core principles or ideas, even though they venture quite far out with their train of thought. It seems to lessen as they get older, and have more different core principles and ideas to draw from.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Another difference I've noted (generally, not always) is that people with conscious Ti seem to tend more towards pessimism and worry/self-doubt about their abilities, while people with conscious Te seem to tend towards optimism that any setbacks in the charted course can be worked around.

IXTPs do seem to have a marked penchant for pessimism. What's with that?

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Ti:

ti_2.jpg

Te:

te_2.jpg

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that is a better comparison htb.

I've noticed in teaching math that people who have an easy time with algebra often struggle somewhat with geometry and vice-versa. I believe that algebra favors Te and geometry Ti. (Calculus tends to have a decent balance of both.) I think it is because algebra is heavily symbol oriented, and geometry is picture oriented.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ

I've noticed in teaching math that people who have an easy time with algebra often struggle somewhat with geometry and vice-versa. I believe that algebra favors Te and geometry Ti. (Calculus tends to have a decent balance of both.) I think it is because algebra is heavily symbol oriented, and geometry is picture oriented.

I thought that was a well-accepted theory. ;) I've always wondered why that was so, and if there weren't people who were great at both.

My husband, son (both INTPs and lefties) and I (IXFJ) are algebra people. My INFJ daughter (also a lefty) has an excellent grasp of geometry and finds it quite easy.

Jae Rae

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Are we agreeing? Cause I think Liquid_Laser is saying Ti is good at geometry and Te is good at algebra. And Jae Rae is saying the opposite.

For what it matters. I am Ti dominant and I prefer algebra. I hate drawing and memorizing theorems and proving things everyone already knows. Graphing is evil.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are we agreeing? Cause I think Liquid_Laser is saying Ti is good at geometry and Te is good at algebra. And Jae Rae is saying the opposite.

For what it matters. I am Ti dominant and I prefer algebra. I hate drawing and memorizing theorems and proving things everyone already knows. Graphing is evil.

I think we are agreeing that there is some cognitive reason why some have an easier time with algebra and others with geometry, but perhaps that reason does not have to do with Ti vs Te as I had originally hypothesized.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2

Geometry and Trigonometry were the only maths that I somewhat understood! Algebra is the devil's math. :steam:

Nadir

Enigma
MBTI Type
INxJ
Enneagram
People, do they trust each other? Depends on the people!