• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI Step II expanded report

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'll explain, probably in a couple of weeks or so. It can only be administered online, so you'll have to find a practitioner or site who does that (discoveryourpersonality.com is one)

I did a quick search for "free Step II MBTI" on Google, but didn't find anything yet. A few leads just ended up going to dead links.

Looks like the going price is right under $100.

EDIT:

Found this doc. Somewhat interesting...
https://www.cpp.com/pdfs/MBTI_FormM_Supp.pdf

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Okay, THAT was amusing. The fourth item on the Google search list about free MBTI step 2 tests, I clicked on without really looking at it, and realized I was back here at TypC.

For a post written in 2007.

By me.

*DOH*

I can't get away!

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You're not going to find it for free. If you do, it's bootleg.

Here's mine:

stepii-graph.jpg

About the only interesting thing there is the out-of-preference "Reasonable" on the thinking/feeling sub-scales (and the neutral logical/empathetic).

Otherwise, it's all pretty straight-forward.

I used discoveryourpersonality.com, as well (a couple/few years ago).
That's where you got the result graphs from? Nice! (You wouldn't believe how many people used to ask me where I got mine. Again; it was homemade, to emulate those MyPersonality graphs everyone had in their signature. So it's funny now for me to be asking someone where they got theirs from).

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You're not going to find it for free. If you do, it's bootleg.

That's where you got the result graphs from? (you wouldn;t belive how many people used to ask me where I got mine. Again; it was homemade, to emulate those MyPersonality graphs everyone had in their signature.

I just whipped those up in OmniGraffle. Seems like it wouldn't be a difficult programming task to do a web-page or something... and then one could take a screen shot—even if one didn't want to do actual gif/jpeg generation. Maybe I'll adapt the code from my Wilde Calculator (no promises, though).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm happy with bootleg. :) I don't have $100 to pop on a superfluous test.

I did look at my original descriptions from a really old thread on this forum (which I ironically found as yet ANOTHER link on the Google search!) and just guessed at my scores. I assigned stats to either side from 1-10, depending on which I favored.

EXTROVERSION/INTROVERSION
initiating ........ receiving 8
3 expressive ..... contained
gregarious ..... intimate 0
active ........... reflective 6
enthusiastic ... quiet 8

SENSING/INTUITION
concrete ....... abstract 7
realistic ......... imaginative 4
practical ........ conceptual 6
experiential .... theoretical 8
traditional ...... original 8

THINKING/FEELING
6 logical ........... empathetic
8 reasonable ..... compassionate
questioning .... accomodating 3
critical ........... accepting 3
1 tough ............ tender

JUDGING/PERCEIVING
systematic ....... casual 8
planful ............. open-ended 8
early-starting ... pressure-prompted 9
scheduled ........ spontaneous 9
methodical ....... emergent 5

I think I score differently than I would have a few years ago -- I'm more practical and also more engaging, and that is partly because I've had to be in order to be successful in life.

Note that actually my J/P is actually the most extreme leaning, which explains to me why I have a lot of trouble working toward goals in a structured fashion. I just don't much like it, but I'm frustrated because I need to do it to get anywhere now.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Interesting. I've seen it before and I like that it captures all the complex elements of each dichotomy. Some of them I would struggle how to choose between, and I think the T/F division would be the most complicated for me.

To copy Jennifer, I'll estimate what mine would be:

Initiating ........ Receiving 8
1 Expressive ..... Contained
2 Gregarious ..... Intimate
Active ........... Reflective 7
Enthusiastic ... Quiet 8

SENSING/INTUITION
Concrete ....... Abstract 8
Realistic ......... Imaginative 8
Practical ........ Conceptual 8
Experiential .... Theoretical 6
Traditional ...... Original 9

THINKING/FEELING
6 Logical ........... Empathetic
3 Reasonable ..... Compassionate
Questioning .... Accommodating 4
Critical ........... Accepting 6
Tough ............ Tender 9

JUDGING/PERCEIVING
2 Systematic ....... Casual
Planful ............. Open-ended 8
Early-starting ... Pressure-prompted 10
Scheduled ........ Spontaneous 7
Methodical ....... Emergent 5

Ugh, some of that is really hard.

- With E/I that actually addressed some of contradictory aspects that come from being a social-first introvert. In some ways I'm friendly and sociable, but in others, I'm extremely reserved and prefer solitude. I'm reluctant to call myself gregarious and expressive because I hold back a lot of myself, but I suppose I choose to come across a little like that to other people.
- As expected the T/F was the hardest, because a lot of the time I wanted to say I'm very much both. I consider myself rather compassionate but am the sort of person that that will put loyalties and sympathies aside to back up a principle. I also am value oriented but apply those values with very logical analysis. The only clear cut division for me was Tough vs. Tender.
- And even the J/P was a little difficult. I like a sense of order, because my mind is so completely muddled that it makes me feel confused and stressed, and that things are out of my control. It helps to have a systematic approach to bring clarity, so I can feel relaxed and more on top of things. It also doesn't help that I'm incredibly forgetful so I often need to make lists to help me keep on track. At the same time, I go-with-the-flow about most situations and don't identify at all with the J need to have everything nailed down way in advance.

I wonder about the T/F division because there are quite a few people like me that are conflicted about it. I wonder if it's a INXP issue too - as confusion around it seems to be common among us. And looking at the results [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] it makes me wonder. It would be interesting to compare what sort of patterns are forming. If there were more conflicted Fs it would be even better. [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]'s input would be good, but she's not around much these days.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
See the second money becomes involved I start getting worried. It just looks like a big ole scam.

If understanding one's own foibles and self were so important, why put a price on it? Just stick annoying adverts on your website like everyone else, or yknow actually PROVE something for once.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think the test is the best one out there. My results are posted in my profile.

Little_Sticks

Hey, for $25 I'll create MBTI Step IV for everyone. That's $75 cheaper than Step II - what a deal!

And you know it has to be good because it's two greater than four! And with your support of Step IV, I can then fund MBTI Step V research. I've got charts and blind science to back everything up. And who knows, maybe when that's ready, I might even be able to cure cancer for you.

La Viva MBTI Steps! Ultimate knowers of thyself!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mmmm. Curing cancer. That would be really nice.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took the step II about 2.5 years ago. My results are posted here.

At the time I came up as an INTP with no out-of-preference facets.

Upon thinking about it more, I think I should be closer on T/F than the results indicated.

I don't think I'm quite as extreme in my logical and reasonable scores. I think I'm slightly more tender than tough or maybe in the middle. I also think I'm in the middle on questioning/accomodating and somewhat more accepting than critical.

Regarding the other facets, they seem mostly accurate. I think I might be more realistic, systematic, and pressure prompted than the scores indicate. I also don't think I'm quite as extreme on reflective. Other than that seems pretty spot-on.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
To copy Jennifer, I'll estimate what mine would be:

Initiating ........ Receiving 8
1 Expressive ..... Contained
2 Gregarious ..... Intimate
Enthusiastic ... Quiet 8

SENSING/INTUITION
Concrete ....... Abstract 8
Realistic ......... Imaginative 8
Practical ........ Conceptual 8
Experiential .... Theoretical 6
Traditional ...... Original 9

THINKING/FEELING
6 Logical ........... Empathetic
3 Reasonable ..... Compassionate
Questioning .... Accommodating 4
Critical ........... Accepting 6
Tough ............ Tender 9

JUDGING/PERCEIVING
2 Systematic ....... Casual
Planful ............. Open-ended 8
Early-starting ... Pressure-prompted 10
Scheduled ........ Spontaneous 7
Methodical ....... Emergent 5

I wonder about the T/F division because there are quite a few people like me that are conflicted about it. I wonder if it's a INXP issue too - as confusion around it seems to be common among us. And looking at the results [MENTION=10653]SuchIrony[/MENTION] [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3521]Eric B[/MENTION] it makes me wonder. It would be interesting to compare what sort of patterns are forming. If there were more conflicted Fs it would be even better. [MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]'s input would be good, but she's not around much these days.

I'm not sure how I'd gauge these qualities when pitting them against each other....
The easiest ones are E/I & J/P (if I put aside the contrivance & hyper-awareness of being a 4 & how that affects "P-ness"), and if I saw the questions I assume N/S would be easy to choose also. It's quite clear I'm IxxP. As usual, my reaction to the T/F is "why the false dichotomies?!" and "why is Feeling so Fe?!".

For example... Most situations which call for empathy don't call for dry logic. And certainly, in a situation where people are involved, empathy can help you get the whole picture so you can reason on a solution anyway. And situations which call for dry logic don't often call for empathy, so it's not like I often must choose between the two. I'm not sure why they are "pitted" against each other. Same with reasonable & compassionate - these are at odds?! To me, it's unreasonable to not be compassionate. My compassion is principled, not necessarily emotionally driven. Misplaced compassion is not a sign of being a "Feeler", IMO (I'd argue it's more likely a sign of being P-dom...).

There are many times in life where I am perceived as "tough" by others, when I feel I am acting on a moral principle, one which is very much a Feeling valuation. I may be tough or tender, critical or acceptable, depending on my feeling about a situation. In day to day life, I'm easy-going & accommodating mainly cuz it's easy and I don't care enough to rock the boat. This is not Feeling; I'm quite sure it's being Pe-aux & NOT having my Feeling stirred from hiding.

Ultimately, I do prefer to be the Feeling options, because I "wear them" much better, whereas the Thinking options make me look ugly (which makes me think it's because I have inferior Te). The F qualities don't necessarily come more easily for me though, because those are outward behaviors, and my feeling is introverted. I think this is why S/N & J/P questions are much easier for me to answer; my Ne is visible in my behavior, whereas Fi may not be (more so "implied" by my obvious introversion).

I notice IxxPs have the hardest time with T/F, which seems odd since we're J-doms, but I think it's because T/F is often described in Te/Fe terms. Since those are our inferiors, we may have strong responses to those too, and we may see their effect in our minds, albeit often very negative since it's in inferior form. There have been times when inferior Te defined me as much as Fi, because I was in a sort of psychological stranglehold where I wouldn't let the Ne run free :tongue: . This had little to do with being "logical", but I certainly wasn't displaying F qualities; when I'm reasonable, then it's Fi with a proper outlet.

--------

Okay here's my stab at it:

Initiating ........ Receiving 9
Expressive ..... Contained 8
Gregarious ..... Intimate 9
Enthusiastic ... Quiet 7

SENSING/INTUITION
Concrete ....... Abstract 6
Realistic ......... Imaginative 9
Practical ........ Conceptual 9
Experiential .... Theoretical 8
Traditional ...... Original 7

THINKING/FEELING
Logical ........... 1 Empathetic ??????
1 Reasonable ..... Compassionate ??????
Questioning .... 1 Accommodating ?????
Critical ........... Accepting 4
Tough ............ Tender 3

JUDGING/PERCEIVING
Systematic ....... Casual 7
Planful ............. Open-ended 4
Early-starting ... Pressure-prompted 6
Scheduled ........ Spontaneous 8
Methodical ....... Emergent 9

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, reading the descriptions, I don't really like it because of the T/F divide. I would be a T under this perspective, but I think that's because this is a division between Te and Fe, Fi is nowhere contemplated.
I think its wrong to divide MBTI into letters, in doesnt work like that.

My idea is streghtened by the example of Seymour, who's an INFP, so he/she uses Fi as a dominant function, but tested very low on F, and much lower than all the other letters.

Here's mine:

stepii-graph.jpg

About the only interesting thing there is the out-of-preference "Reasonable" on the thinking/feeling sub-scales (and the neutral logical/empathetic).

Otherwise, it's all pretty straight-forward.

I used discoveryourpersonality.com, as well (a couple/few years ago).

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeah, reading the descriptions, I don't really like it because of the T/F divide. I would be a T under this perspective, but I think that's because this is a division between Te and Fe, Fi is nowhere contemplated.
I think its wrong to divide MBTI into letters, in doesnt work like that.

My idea is streghtened by the example of Seymour, who's an INFP, so he/she uses Fi as a dominant function, but tested very low on F, and much lower than all the other letters.

Well, empirically speaking there's almost no evidence that dominate functions are actually consistently dominate, that the dichotomies are actually dichotomous, or that other predictions of type dynamics are accurate. There's far more evidence that people's strength of preference falls on a continuum (as it does with the Big Five), and that the effects of two (occasionally three) individual preferences play a much bigger role in any given area than whole type does, etc.

You are right, though, that Step II doesn't really represent functions (which in a less type-dynamics oriented model can be seen as the effects of interactions between J/P and either S/N or T/F), and instead breaks things down in a more Big Five sub-scale-ish fashion. Still interesting, though, especially as it points out areas in which you may be atypical for your type.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
For example... Most situations which call for empathy don't call for dry logic. And certainly, in a situation where people are involved, empathy can help you get the whole picture so you can reason on a solution anyway. And situations which call for dry logic don't often call for empathy, so it's not like I often must choose between the two. I'm not sure why they are "pitted" against each other. Same with reasonable & compassionate - these are at odds?! To me, it's unreasonable to not be compassionate. My compassion is principled, not necessarily emotionally driven. Misplaced compassion is not a sign of being a "Feeler", IMO (I'd argue it's more likely a sign of being P-dom...).

There are many times in life where I am perceived as "tough" by others, when I feel I am acting on a moral principle, one which is very much a Feeling valuation. I may be tough or tender, critical or acceptable, depending on my feeling about a situation. In day to day life, I'm easy-going & accommodating mainly cuz it's easy and I don't care enough to rock the boat. This is not Feeling; I'm quite sure it's being Pe-aux & NOT having my Feeling stirred from hiding.

Ultimately, I do prefer to be the Feeling options, because I "wear them" much better, whereas the Thinking options make me look ugly (which makes me think it's because I have inferior Te). The F qualities don't necessarily come more easily for me though, because those are outward behaviors, and my feeling is introverted. I think this is why S/N & J/P questions are much easier for me to answer; my Ne is visible in my behavior, whereas Fi may not be (more so "implied" by my obvious introversion).

You always raise good points. :)

I think, just to address the tough/tender spectrum, for me personally I parse it as bottom line. I've had to spend a lot of time hanging with F types, and since I take pride in my chameleon abilities, I've always been bothered because at core I can't seem to really be tender in the same way they can. I can generally empathize with people, and on some occasions I even feel strongly about their situation (whether good or bad); but when push comes to shove, if I don't just give up and withdraw to avoid getting embroiled, I have to give the gentle but unflexing push, rather than being able to overlook something. There's a bottom line that there's a particular truth involved that needs to be confronted, and if I do not eventually bring it up, I either have to pull out or it will come out in the course of interaction. I can't just let it go. I tend to step back and analyze human matters like a system, even if I can empathize deeply with the people involved, and when there's a problem with the system, I feel like it needs to be addressed at some point, as a priority. I've had FP and FJ friends who seem more inclined to focus on the connection than the assessment, and I'd be jealous because I couldn't do that or possess the same poise as them while doing it. They actually didn't seem agitated by the flaw I could perceive. I dunno.

But I wouldn't consider "Tough" to be one of my all-encompassing traits. I'm very much in that middle area.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A Phlegmatic INFP and (likely) a Supine INTP! (One tougher than the typical type, and the other more sensitive than the typical type). They almost meet in the middle. (Being that INTP would usually go with Phlegmatic, and INFP is more characteristically like Supine).
The true Phlegmatic is really very "inbetween", which would go along with being so unsure in most of the T/F facets.
I notice IxxPs have the hardest time with T/F, which seems odd since we're J-doms, but I think it's because T/F is often described in Te/Fe terms. Since those are our inferiors, we may have strong responses to those too, and we may see their effect in our minds, albeit often very negative since it's in inferior form. There have been times when inferior Te defined me as much as Fi, because I was in a sort of psychological stranglehold where I wouldn't let the Ne run free :tongue: . This had little to do with being "logical", but I certainly wasn't displaying F qualities; when I'm reasonable, then it's Fi with a proper outlet.
It's likely from introverted judgment being so "deep", and harder to really decipher than extraverted functions. And then being dominant just makes them so integral to the ego's worldview that you don't even notice them.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
took the step 2 while in college... results were, as usual, inconsistent :laugh:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I took the step II about 2.5 years ago. My results are posted here.
It is surprising how T-leaning your results are. Did you find it hard to answer the T/F questions or did it seem like relatively clear-cut choices?

I'm not sure how I'd gauge these qualities when pitting them against each other....
The easiest ones are E/I & J/P (if I put aside the contrivance & hyper-awareness of being a 4 & how that affects "P-ness"), and if I saw the questions I assume N/S would be easy to choose also. It's quite clear I'm IxxP. As usual, my reaction to the T/F is "why the false dichotomies?!" and "why is Feeling so Fe?!".

EXACTLY. So well said.

It's that same old "Justice vs. Mercy" stuff I've never been comfortable with - as if objective principles and compassion are mutually exclusive. Why can't anyone grasp that compassion can be rational?

BTW you did read the added details on the first page? I don't get the impression you did - not that it dramatically clarifies anything. If I bolded what mostly applies to me and underlined words that somewhat apply, it would look like this:

LOGICAL (Impersonal, seek impartiality, objective analysis) vs EMPATHETIC (Personal, seek harmony, central values)

REASONABLE (Truthful, cause and effect, apply principles) vs COMPASSIONATE (Tactful, sympathetic, loyal)

QUESTIONING (Precise, challenging, want discussion) vs ACCOMODATING (Approving, agreeable, want harmony)

CRITICAL (Skeptical, want proof, critique) vs ACCEPTING (Tolerant, trusting, give praise)

TOUGH (Firm, tough-minded, ends-oriented) vs TENDER (Gentle, tender-hearted, means-oriented)

Even then, I still feel like I'm not being entirely truthful. I feel very ambivalent about a lot of those words. :unsure: I can see the divisions they're attempt to draw between them and think they're on the right track - I just don't think the diction is totally accurate. "Trusting", for example, is very complex, even in the context they place it in. If it means "gives the benefit of the doubt" or "doesn't need strong proof to form an opinion" then I will go with that, but if they mean "not prone to questioning claims" or "takes what others say as fact", then I'm not so sure.

I know what you mean. I'm still pretty certain I'm a Feeler in spite of the test confusion. My resulting, external behaviour often seems like that of Thinker but it is internally motivated by (what I know in myself to be) Feeling based decision making. It makes sense to me but it is still hard to reconcile this in relation to MBTI tests.

That's a good observation - they do seem to lean towards Te/Fe.

I don't find that there are many Ji friendly descriptions out there. I think it can be hard for many Ji-doms to make sense of how what differentiates Ti from Fi. Once you leave the stereotypes behind, the list of criteria for each can sound very similar - especially when the functions are used in a healthy manner. I see my Judgement process as highly logical and driven by impartial reasoning, but then probably many Ti-doms see theirs as highly compassionate and harmony-driven. :shrug:

In some ways I think of the Judging functions on a vague sort of spectrum - with Ti and Fi being close to the middle (and therefore more easily confused):

THINKING <-----|-----> FEELING
.....Te.........Ti....|....Fi.........Fe.....

valentine

MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Step II and the corresponding interpertation really helped me figure out why the typing I get on most tests is wrong.