• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Asperger's Syndrome and MBTI type.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I would say the most defining features of Aspergers syndrome is a lack of "awareness" of the world around them.

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Originally posted by Perch420
Aspergers is the total lack of Ni.

I would say the most defining features of Aspergers syndrome is a lack of "awareness" of the world around them.

Do you even fucking know what you're talking about? Go do some research on what Asperger's is before you start making horribly wrong opinions on the matter.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
On the contrary. Lots of people with autism/Aspergers suffer from a painful overload of awareness of the world around them.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On the contrary. Lots of people with autism/Aspergers suffer from a painful overload of awareness of the world around them.
I still wonder about this question. I wonder if in addition to the world around them, if they are also more aware of archetypal imagery (which everybody has, but most people are either unconscious of, or do not pay attention to), and hence why they "think differently" then everyone else.

I any case, Aspergers is not a function weakness or overstrength. The functions are just particular interpreters of the imaginal data that goes through the brain. (I had one "expert" tell me it was "lack of Fe consciousness"!)

ICUP

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IDK, but I'm jealous. If I could, I might get rid of Fe. LoL...... Maybe one day there will be a method to try that out.

Labels: I use 'em to understand, but not to discriminate. I think they are needed to promote understanding, but so many have used them for negative. It's too bad that instead of picking up a book or going online to read, or choosing to observe life as it happens, many decide to just discriminate out of fear of the unknown. I dislike fear and choose to rid myself of all that I can.

GentJon

MBTI Type
ISFP
I'm the ISFP with Asperger's that bumped this thread yesterday. I'm not nearly as into personality typing as a lot of you all are. I don't quite get all of the acronyms and jargon, and personality typing is probably more of an art than a science, contrary to how you all probably try to see it. Maybe that's not the best opinion to have to make friends here, but that's really how I see it.

Perch420, Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Ni! Now bring me a shrubbery!

But anyway, here are my MBTI scores, from early last year:

I hope that's okay to use imagevenue, that's what I've always used before, but for my NSFW interests. Or, the board itself has had an image uploader and hosting. Do you have one here?

I got the Asperger's diagnosis in 2002 when I was 22 years old. But when I was 10, I was diagnosed with something with the acronym NPOOD, but for whatever reason my parents never really followed up on it. I think NPOOD never really caught on with the larger psychology community and has mostly been forgotten. The only mention of it I have found on the internet is from stuff written in the 1980s. I think that a child who would have received a NPOOD diagnosis in the 1980s would probably get an Asperger's diagnosis today.

Nonverbal Perceptual-Organization-Output Disabled
Google books preview with pages missing.

Yeah, it certainly seemed to me that in a lot of ways ISFP and Asperger's or NPOOD are contradictory. But I wonder how much I've just learned to compensate. Like I learned over time to temper my Aspergian brutal honesty with a lot more tact, and maybe I learned that I can never plan for each and every eventuality, which offended my perfectionism, so I quit even trying, and earned that rather extreme "Emergent" score on my Judging/Perceiving score.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
asperger-king.gif

LMAO!

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm the ISFP with Asperger's that bumped this thread yesterday. I'm not nearly as into personality typing as a lot of you all are. I don't quite get all of the acronyms and jargon, and personality typing is probably more of an art than a science, contrary to how you all probably try to see it. Maybe that's not the best opinion to have to make friends here, but that's really how I see it.

I don't see how saying that would alienate any friends here. All the MBTI bashing I've been doing, about how it is non-empirical religious dogma, is far more likely to alienate others.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's what I now think happens with AS.

Just like there is hypersensitivity to physical stimuli, there is also hypersensitivity to emotion. They probably have problems with ego-boundaries, which result in emotional lability. (AS routines and intense interests provide the "structure" people with poor boundaries need).

What happens, is the ego constantly feels it's being dissolved; its boundaries are being breached. This is what constellates the shadow complexes, particularly the Demonic complex, which is involved with ego-destruction, and associates with the "8th function" (shadow of inferior; opposite function in the dominant attitude).
The person then seems to "use" out of place functions, and has more of a difficulty fitting a type. So NTP's feel they "use" a lot of Fi, and might be NFP. There were one or two other NTP's here, who testified to having AS, and also struggled with the T/F preference, so it would be interesting to see if they can identify with any of this.
I imagine INTJ's might have a lot of bad feelings with Si data, and think they might be S's.

It creates a feeling of trauma, in addition to the genuine pain from being misunderstood, rejected, censured, etc. by other people. Donald Kalsched's concepts of the deep shadow complexes associated them with trauma such as PTSD. But trauma is not just sudden large damage, but also can be small and gradual.

The damage might be more imagined/feared than real. Still, this does seem to "trigger" the shadows, as it is commonly put, and cause a-typical behavior for the type.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If what I'm thinking is true, and AS involves simply a weakened ego structure, then that would have little to do with Fe as we discuss it. Perhaps Fe might help them hide it or deal with it better (just as I've heard that women with AS are better able to hide it, due to the different social expectations on mean and women). Perhaps they are even less likely to realize they have the condition.
I don't think I've seen any Fe doms. testify to it, but there was at least one IxFJ on one of the forums who did.

It seems mostly N's and T's are affected by it, so it becomes familiarly characterized by NT traits, and since it involves a frail ego, the N and T preferences are greatly enforced to protect the ego, so Sensing and Feeling products then become further suppressed (at the same time as the person being so hypersensitive to them in the first place. The ego then fights extra hard to suppress them).

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
question for INTJ aspies, what do you guys think about your tert Fi?

i know a really sweet kid with asperger's. i don't think he lacks empathy. i do think he has a problem communicating empathy, however. and by "problem" i simply mean "doesn't do it like most other people".

good luck for your son, Ivy :hug:

I empathize with people and have a tough time communicating it. I'm not emotional at all, but feel very deeply, and care very much for those around me. I don't have asperger's, though. I think Eric B's theories in the post above mine make a lot of sense.

Spurgeon

MBTI Type
xNxx
Here's what I now think happens with AS.

Just like there is hypersensitivity to physical stimuli, there is also hypersensitivity to emotion. They probably have problems with ego-boundaries, which result in emotional lability. (AS routines and intense interests provide the "structure" people with poor boundaries need).

What happens, is the ego constantly feels it's being dissolved; its boundaries are being breached. This is what constellates the shadow complexes, particularly the Demonic complex, which is involved with ego-destruction, and associates with the "8th function" (shadow of inferior; opposite function in the dominant attitude).
The person then seems to "use" out of place functions, and has more of a difficulty fitting a type. So NTP's feel they "use" a lot of Fi, and might be NFP. There were one or two other NTP's here, who testified to having AS, and also struggled with the T/F preference, so it would be interesting to see if they can identify with any of this.
I imagine INTJ's might have a lot of bad feelings with Si data, and think they might be S's.

It creates a feeling of trauma, in addition to the genuine pain from being misunderstood, rejected, censured, etc. by other people. Donald Kalsched's concepts of the deep shadow complexes associated them with trauma such as PTSD. But trauma is not just sudden large damage, but also can be small and gradual.

The damage might be more imagined/feared than real. Still, this does seem to "trigger" the shadows, as it is commonly put, and cause a-typical behavior for the type.

This is good stuff.

I'd be interested in hearing what else you may have come up with/learned about this subject.

Any links?

plaminal

MBTI Type
xSFP
Enneagram
7?
There was recent news that a scientific study using one of those scans showed that Asperger's or Autism (sorry, can't remember, maybe both) people have more brain cells in one part of the brain. Can somebody who hasn't already been on the computer too long today find it?

About labels: In researching Asperger's for the first time, a few weeks ago, I learned about "face blindness." It's the inability to remember or reconstruct in your mind the face of someone you've met, even been around many times, sometimes even your friends or family.

All these years I've beaten myself up about this, shouted to myself in my mind to PAY MORE ATTENTION! I've been embarassed to come up to someone on my street or at church or wherever and not remember them on sight. Now, with the label, I can be easier on myself, and I may start telling people when I meet them. There are also ways to deal with it. But just not despising myself for not being able to remember is great.

I also have the characteristic that I can't lie, even to put off a stalker.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
OK, correction; I've spoken with someone knowledgeable on the subject, and it's not weak ego boundaries. It's simply what was stated before; that the feelings are too big for the situation at hand, and this is due to the sensory system not regulating itself the way it should. The sensory system and the emotions are in fact directly connected, as emotions are body experiences (I never thought of it like that).
So it would still stand that this will make the ego feel threatened (ordinary frustrations can produce same kinds of feelings as a horrific tragedy), and thus constellate shadow complexes/functions more readily.