• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is any one type more prone to drinking/drug use?

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm an addict in recovery. Meaning that I believe I will always be addicted to my drugs of choice... I just might not use them, like I don't use them now. I'm still an addict though.

I'm an INFP 4w5 with hedonistic tendencies, if that helps the original question in this thread.

I like the fantastical, the surreal, the escape. I've had addiction problems my whole adult life. Beat them all, but it's a daily struggle. The dreams are the worst, but I personally believe they are part of recovery.

And fwiw, and relatively speaking, marijuana is not addictive. This, from experience and observation.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
And fwiw, and relatively speaking, marijuana is not addictive. This, from experience and observation.

I think that sentence is ludicrous. You don't have the cash to buy some and your happy with that? Your body is not reacting to the withdrawals?

From observation .. I have seen someone go from calm and stoned to on edge and snappy ..

If you're not addictive then why not just have 1 joint a day as opposed to 8? or save it for the weekends then get caned on the shit?

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You don't have the cash to buy some and your happy with that?

Cash isn't the problem, in fact, there is no problem. I could get some in minutes, I just don't want any right now. I'm not addicted to it, and after 30 years of using it, I've never met anybody who is.

Your body is not reacting to the withdrawals?

No, not even a little bit. There is no withdrawal, except maybe being a little spacey, and realizing how much fun you just had. A friend got me high with his homemade vaporizer last night, and the withdrawal, if there was one, was a sense of unusual calm. I have anxiety issues, and I enjoyed that calm.

From observation .. I have seen someone go from calm and stoned to on edge and snappy ..

Bummer. Never witnessed that myself. Don't immediately blame the weed. Could be something else.

If you're not addictive then why not just have 1 joint a day as opposed to 8? or save it for the weekends then get caned on the shit?

Wow, lots of assumptions. Again, I'm not addicted, so right now I'm having none. Although like I said, I had dinner with my friend last night and he got me high, and we laughed our heads off. Good times. And I don't want any today, much less need it, just like I didn't need it (or expect it) when I joined my friend and his family for dinner last night.

IMO, nicotine is a much bigger problem than marijuana will ever be. And yes, I'm addicted to nicotine. I've beat almost every street drug that's out there (after they beat me), but I can't seem to quit smoking... and I want to, very much. Now that is an addiction.

If you want to talk about real drugs, not naturally growing medicinal herbs, I can tell you about addiction. I communicate well, and I'm not shy about talking about it, if anybody sincerely wants to know.

Edit: I'm surprised I haven't seen more talk about alcohol in this thread. I drink too, but thankfully it's not a problem for me. I can take it or leave it. I mainly use it to self-medicate when I don't have any Klonopin, like recently.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno.

I know addicts of all types. :/

I don't know any ESFJ addicts though, come to think of it. :)

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
That said, I do think (based on my informal experience) that there is a type component in which people try illegal drugs and underage drinking, with SJs being the least likely due to a greater respect for the law. Once a person has tried substances, however, type may not be a factor in addiction.

I completely agree with this. The legality of it has never been an issue for me. In fact, I never even thought about the legality, much less rejected using a drug simply because it was illegal.

I don't know nearly as much about MBTI as most of you, but I do believe that is an "NP" thing.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I dont think drug/alcohol use has anything to do with type. I think it depends on an individuals life, path, and experience.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
If I were to make any drug a lifestyle, it would be alcohol. I already drink a fair share and I'm not even legal.

I used to be into marijuana. A lot actually, but it chills me out too much and I don't like it. It smooths out my edges and I lose my ziingg. I don't like it. But I adapt to social environments. The other day, I went on a 9 hour climb up a mountain with some guys who smoked at every other stop...so I joined in. If I were at a party and weed was being smoked, I'd probably join in.

For me, it's all about social setting. I'll usually slip into it if it's what people are doing; I am not opposed. But having my way, I won't go out of my way to get on anything. Except alcohol.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I'd love to see a link to a study documenting evidence of raw potato addiction. :)
people can get addicted to anything, including raw potatoes.
That's not exactly the proof I was looking for. :rolleyes: I was mostly joking, but that doesn't mean you can cite yourself. saslou's note about trace amounts of nicotine is interesting, but also does not constitute evidence that raw potatoes are addictive. If I've read the data correctly, a single cigarette has several hundred times more nicotine than a potato or tomato, and I'm not aware of anything to suggest that it's addictive in such miniscule quantities (a few millionths of a gram per kg). I can't believe I'm typing this.

INTP said:
if someone who has a schizophrenia smokes 0.01g of weed and starts flipping out, do you think that he has smoked an overdose?
Symptoms of a marijuana overdose and symptoms of a schizophrenic episode have nothing in common.

You have no proof for what you believe, and apparently you don't understand what it means to provide evidence of a claim.

LEGERdeMAIN

Abstract thinker,

You don't experience withdrawal symptoms from a marijuana addiction immediately after you've smoked marijuana. It usually takes a week or more, even for a heavy smoker because cannabinoids remain in your body for weeks, even months*. You may not experience symptoms but others do. I was a heavy smoker and dealer for years. All of my regular customers were addicted, while the casual users were never "itching" to get high. In fact, most of the time I was high it was because the customers couldn't wait until they got home before packing a bowl, followed by the addicts exhale. I quit abruptly due to a certain kind of...um...how do i say.... "therapeutic detention". In the following weeks I became physically weak, irritable, aggressive and could not sleep and when I did sleep I had horrible dreams and woke up with anxiety attacks. I wasn't habitually using any other drugs at the time except nicotine, which I continued using during my detention, albeit at much higher doses (two packs a day instead of half a pack) once the withdrawal symptoms began.

*HEAVY USERS, not once a month smoker.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Abstract thinker,

You don't experience withdrawal symptoms from a marijuana addiction immediately after you've smoked marijuana. It usually takes a week or more, even for a heavy smoker because cannabinoids remain in your body for weeks, even months*. You may not experience symptoms but others do. I was a heavy smoker and dealer for years. All of my regular customers were addicted, while the casual users were never "itching" to get high. In fact, most of the time I was high it was because the customers couldn't wait until they got home before packing a bowl, followed by the addicts exhale. I quit abruptly due to a certain kind of...um...how do i say.... "therapeutic detention". In the following weeks I became physically weak, irritable, aggressive and could not sleep and when I did sleep I had horrible dreams and woke up with anxiety attacks. I wasn't habitually using any other drugs at the time except nicotine, which I continued using during my detention, albeit at much higher doses (two packs a day instead of half a pack) once the withdrawal symptoms began.

*HEAVY USERS, not once a month smoker.

NEXT DAY EDIT: I deleted this post because it was just too much, and it wasn't relevant anyway. It also shames me to know that my story is out there for everybody to see. Can't handle it. Sorry.

Suffice it to say that no, I do not have withdrawal from marijuana, but I had epic battles with crack and meth. I'm clean now, but they are awful. Stay away from them, please.

Last edited:

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
very well said abstract. i have not shared your experience...stayed away from anything i considered to be addictive BECAUSE i've seen my friends deal with it...and lost some too...horrible horrible life stealer that it is...but pot imo is about as addictive as sugar.

edit: and congrats for going through it...and hugs for how hard it is.. :hug:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Crack didn't make the slightest impression on me, and I did it a few times, just to be sociable. Snorted coke at parties many times, never once thought I needed to buy some myself to have around, never thought twice about it after the party.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Crack didn't make the slightest impression on me, and I did it a few times, just to be sociable. Snorted coke at parties many times, never once thought I needed to buy some myself to have around, never thought twice about it after the party.

Good for you, seriously. :) Glad you never got hooked. It is hell on earth.

But please understand that it could have gone the other way. It often does.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
very well said abstract. i have not shared your experience...stayed away from anything i considered to be addictive BECAUSE i've seen my friends deal with it...and lost some too...horrible horrible life stealer that it is...but pot imo is about as addictive as sugar.

edit: and congrats for going through it...and hugs for how hard it is.. :hug:

Thanks, Lady X. Yeah, I've lost a few too. One of them I made peace with just before he died. He was over the edge (even more than me), and was convinced I did him wrong (I most certainly did not.)

I showed him love and forgiveness, and it meant the world to him. When he left the trap that night, he hugged me and whispered in my ear, "I know you didn't do it. I love you too."

He died a week later.

RIP, bro.

capricorn009

I'm not sure...I smoke light cigarettes, but rarely drink other than socially and
have never done drugs in my life...I'm just not the type to run away from things
by sedating myself from them

ENTJ

KDude

I started a lot of drugs when I was 12, but quit (accompanied with meltdown) at 17. I can't say I was addicted exactly though.. just being stupid. I never got much out of the drugs that are "officially" addictive (coke, heroin, etc..). I mostly smoked too much weed and did LSD one too many times. There was one period where I did different sorts of amphetimines for awhile, but it just makes you feel like ass after a certain point. I can't believe people actually carry on with that shit, but they do.

I am still crazily addicted to cigarettes though. It sucks. The one thing that might make me quit is vanity. They make you look like shit after awhile. haha.. forget cancer! I want to be pretty :rolleyes:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
back to OP

I don't think it matters too much based on type, everyone can find something for them in one big goodie bag, whether it's prescribed or nay.

Strangely, I got addicted to OTC sleep aid this year (twice), before I realized my body became physically dependent and attached to it. I went through withdrawals, the first time I went unconscious while standing up and smashed my head against my kitchen floor. Felt good man.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Wow, lots of assumptions. Again, I'm not addicted, so right now I'm having none. Although like I said, I had dinner with my friend last night and he got me high, and we laughed our heads off. Good times. And I don't want any today, much less need it, just like I didn't need it (or expect it) when I joined my friend and his family for dinner last night.

IMO, nicotine is a much bigger problem than marijuana will ever be. And yes, I'm addicted to nicotine. I've beat almost every street drug that's out there (after they beat me), but I can't seem to quit smoking... and I want to, very much. Now that is an addiction.

I wasn't aiming all my question at you directly .. More thinking out loud with regards to weed being addictive.

You made some interesting points which i shall digest for a while though.
:D

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
If I abuse it, it is because I want the never ending stream of thoughts to stop.