• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is any one type more prone to drinking/drug use?

natashka

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just a thought

Also, do you think any specific ethnic culture to be predisposed to a certain type?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
dunno but i find it quite funny that one intp description said that intp is more likely to support marijuana legalization :D

but that kinda makes sense sine its usually the stupid people who cant think by themselves who are against it

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Drugs I would use:
- Coffee
- Tea
- Coca Cola
- Energy Drinks
- Ibuprofen (If needed)
- Paracetamol (If needed)
- Penecillin (If needed)
- Diclofenac/Voltaren (If needed)
- Meclizine/Postafen (If needed)
- Glyserol (If needed)
- Alcohol (I really can't stand alcohol anymore though)
- Hashish/Pot/Mary (I prefer this. Can't get addicted, can't get sick, and can't overdose, unlike on alcohol)

I will use legal and illegal drugs whenever and however I see fit. No one is ever going to tell me what I can and cannot do to my own body.

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
I believe there have been threads on this topic in the past.

I've wondered if Se-doms might be more likely to have issues with addiction, but that's just idle speculation.

Drugs I would use:
- Coffee
- Tea
- Coca Cola
- Energy Drinks
- Ibuprofen (If needed)
- Paracetamol (If needed)
- Penecillin (If needed)
- Diclofenac/Voltaren (If needed)
- Meclizine/Postafen (If needed)
- Glyserol (If needed)
- Alcohol (I really can't stand alcohol anymore though)
- Hashish/Pot/Mary (I prefer this. Can't get addicted, can't get sick, and can't overdose, unlike on alcohol)

I will use legal and illegal drugs whenever and however I see fit. No one is ever going to tell me what I can and cannot do to my own body.
Yes, you can get addicted. Most people don't, but marijuana can be psychologically and even mildly physically addictive. Studies have found that people genetically predisposed toward alcoholism are also more likely to become marijuana addicts.

By "can't overdose", I assume you mean can't die from an overdose, which is true. You can overdose, though -- there are negative effects of smoking too much in one sitting, of which the most common are fatigue and anxiety/paranoia.

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
Well, I would suspect so, since I think the converse is true:

SJ types seem to be less likely to use illegal drugs for sure. In my experience, the most straight-edge people have been SJs who don't even consider using illegal substances a personally viable option. Underage drinking is more common, but still, I see it in much greater numbers with the other temperaments.

I've wondered if Se-doms might be more likely to have issues with addiction, but that's just idle speculation.

I've wondered this myself. I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, in that personalities who score high on Fatalistic and Hedonistic attitudes are more likely to develop addictions, and that Se-doms are more likely have those attitudes.

My guess for most drinking and drug use is probably (E/I)SPs, followed by (E)NTs. Maybe NTs feel more free to experiment with cerebral drugs like pot, LSD, and shrooms, since they place smaller value on obeying authority.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
the enneagram thing says type 7 i think...and i like party stuffs but i don't like habits or routines...if that's an answer...

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
4 too i think, to feed emotion... people who value hedonism for sure. addiction also generally is suspected to have some kind of genetic component, i believe. personally, my opinion on the whole drug thing is that drugs are chemicals you put in your body that change it, just like food. they're not really all that different when you think about it. governments just decide to make some illegal... usually for good reasons, sometimes for dumb ones.

that said, i'm not really one for drugs. i typically avoid them on the basis that whatever i'm looking to do with the drug probably has a reason -- for example, if i've got a headache, it's probably because i've been way overstimulated, or haven't eaten enough, etc. i think symptoms are important, so unless i know why they're happening (or if i'm in a situation where i just need to get shit done), i probably won't medicate. though lord knows i appreciate some nitrous oxide

otherwise... alcohol's good, can be fun, i like little fruity drinks. :D and a really low dose of adderall if i REALLY need to get something done, lol. i don't really have much of a desire to try any other recreational drugs though, i just don't care that much

Sunny Ghost

hardcore addictions? i'm sure i know one of every type. i don't think this is more prone to one type or another. i'm neither an alcoholic or stoner. i've had my run with both, but never had dependency issues on either. it was more for experience.

Well, I would suspect so, since I think the converse is true:

SJ types seem to be less likely to use illegal drugs for sure. In my experience, the most straight-edge people have been SJs who don't even consider using illegal substances a personally viable option. Underage drinking is more common, but still, I see it in much greater numbers with the other temperaments.

I've wondered this myself. I think it's a bit more nuanced than that, in that personalities who score high on Fatalistic and Hedonistic attitudes are more likely to develop addictions, and that Se-doms are more likely have those attitudes.

My guess for most drinking and drug use is probably (E/I)SPs, followed by (E)NTs. Maybe NTs feel more free to experiment with cerebral drugs like pot, LSD, and shrooms, since they place smaller value on obeying authority.

i don't agree with this. at least not from what i've seen. i have many SJ, NF, NT, and SP friends who have a dependency on either alcohol or marijuana. i really don't think any one type is prone to it more than another.

Sunny Ghost

i wouldn't equate being sensual with having addictive attitudes. maybe Fi, purely out of speculation. however, we see people of all types with addictions. it's more about mental stability. addictions, be is alcohol or cocaine are dependency issues, which typically arise out of dissatisfaction in some aspect or another with self or life. at least, that's my view. it's a way of self medicating or running away from a situation. and with marijuana, most people use it for inspiration.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, you can get addicted. Most people don't, but marijuana can be psychologically and even mildly physically addictive. Studies have found that people genetically predisposed toward alcoholism are also more likely to become marijuana addicts.

you know you can get addicted on eating raw potatoes(or basically anything) if you do it enough. afaik it can even lead on a physical addiction because your body gets so used to eating only certain kind of food.

i bet if you would eat only junk food for a month and smoke weed for a month, you would get much greater addiction to junk food.

you will need highly addictive personality to create an addiction to cannabis, i know one guy like this, lucky he quited and even more lucky he never liked alcohol much..

By "can't overdose", I assume you mean can't die from an overdose, which is true. You can overdose, though -- there are negative effects of smoking too much in one sitting, of which the most common are fatigue and anxiety/paranoia.

fatigue, anxiety and paranoia arent signs of overdose, its a sign that you smoked too much for your psyche to handle. when you start puking for smoking too much, that could be labeled as overdose, but its not dangerous

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4

That is not called an addiction. That is called a habbit. A bad habbit. By saying that you can get addicted to it, you make it wide open for misinterpretation. An addiction is something you cannot live without. You CAN live without pot, and you WON'T get withdrawals when you stop smoking it (even if you've been smoking it three times a day for a year).

By overdose I mean you cannot take a lethal dosage. You would have to smoke 1000 joints in under one minute to get the same effect you do in 24 hours of consuming alcohol. However, smoking pot and drinking alcohol at the same time will multiple the effect of both pot and alcohol which will act like an overdose. (Believe me, I've tried, and it's not pretty).

I smoke it to relieve anxiety, before I go to bed at night. And it works.
I smoke once a month, once every two months, (now it's been over 6 months since last time).

I would much rather sit in a room filled with stupid ass pot smokers than a room filled with alcoholics. Why? Because people on alcohol are prone to become violent over a mere cookie, pot smokers aren't.

Go look for "Death by pot" or "Crime on pot," I bet you won't find anything.

Ps. You shouldn't abuse any substance.

Last edited:

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Just a thought

Also, do you think any specific ethnic culture to be predisposed to a certain type?

I don't have any evidence for or against your thesis, but...I think there is a lot more involved in a person's choice to 'alter state' than personality preference.
Mast people use drugs in order to numb themselves. This is 'self medication', and has more to do with life circumstances/traumas then personality. As far as party drugs go, I wouldn't be surprised if most users also do so in order to escape some less desireable state, even if that state is undefined and is not clearly the product of a specific trauma or circumstance.
But like I said, I don't have any data to support that.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
A book on Enneagram types by Don Riso says 2's can have pill problems as it makes them feel comfortable with themselfs, 4's as well as 5's have a tendancy to have issues popping pills and drinking, 6's have problems with almost any substance due to their lack of feeling comfortable and safe in the world, 7's have pill popping and drinking tendencies to calm them down from their overactive lives, 8's have drinking problems because it helps them feel more secure to let down their angry, hard front and truelly act out there emotions, and 9's use narcotization as a denfence mechanism, so they can have issues with anything from drinking to smoking meth. 9's are pretty much all over the spectrum in drug addictions and use.
But I personally believe any type can fall to an addiction, it just depends how far you fall into the deep pit that we call depression.

(This was all typed on my phone so I didn't have spell check, my appologies)

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
A book on Enneagram types by Don Riso says 2's can have pill problems as it makes them feel comfortable with themselfs, 4's as well as 5's have a tendancy to have issues popping pills and drinking, 6's have problems with almost any substance due to their lack of feeling comfortable and safe in the world, 7's have pill popping and drinking tendencies to calm them down from their overactive lives, 8's have drinking problems because it helps them feel more secure to let down their angry, hard front and truelly act out there emotions, and 9's use narcotization as a denfence mechanism, so they can have issues with anything from drinking to smoking meth. 9's are pretty much all over the spectrum in drug addictions and use.
But I personally believe any type can fall to an addiction, it just depends how far you fall into the deep pit that we call depression.

(This was all typed on my phone so I didn't have spell check, my appologies)

FlamingMask

MBTI Type
INTp
As I understand it, this thread is currently examining two topics:

1) Whether one or more types are more likely to use alcohol/drugs
2) Whether one or more types are more likely to develop an addiction to alcohol/drugs

i don't agree with this. at least not from what i've seen. i have many SJ, NF, NT, and SP friends who have a dependency on either alcohol or marijuana. i really don't think any one type is prone to it more than another.

Thus, I don't necessarily disagree with this. I don't think that addiction is something that cannot be correlated perfectly with type. It may be like the OCEAN-instrument's Neuroticism, which apparently varies independently of Myers-Briggs type. Addiction is probably much more a result of higher-level cognitive and biological factors.

That said, I do think (based on my informal experience) that there is a type component in which people try illegal drugs and underage drinking, with SJs being the least likely due to a greater respect for the law. Once a person has tried substances, however, type may not be a factor in addiction.

natashka

MBTI Type
INFJ
Addiction is probably much more a result of higher-level cognitive and biological factors.

Agreed. I don't think any particular type is any more likely to develop a drug/alcohol addiction than another. Addiction results from a combination of genetic and environmental factors.

With that being said, I should clarify my question: Is there a particular type that is most likely to experiment with drugs?

I would think that SJs are least likely to. Many INTPs I know experiment heavily with drugs, although they tend to steer away from stimulants. They don't view/use drug experimentation as a hedonistic outlet, but rather a way to expand their horizons. I would expect xNxPs to be more likely to experiment because they tend to have a little bit of a rebellious streak.

LEGERdeMAIN

That is not called an addiction. That is called a habbit. A bad habbit. By saying that you can get addicted to it, you make it wide open for misinterpretation. An addiction is something you cannot live without. You CAN live without pot, and you WON'T get withdrawals when you stop smoking it (even if you've been smoking it three times a day for a year).
Wow, this thread reminds me of a few years ago when I overheard some high school kids talking about how absinthe makes you hallucinate. Yeah, not so much.....

Marijuana can be addicting, there are definitely withdrawal symptoms, just like any using any other chemical for long periods of time. If you change the 'a' to an 'o' you get hobbit.

By overdose I mean you cannot take a lethal dosage. You would have to smoke 1000 joints in under one minute to get the same effect you do in 24 hours of consuming alcohol. However, smoking pot and drinking alcohol at the same time will multiple the effect of both pot and alcohol which will act like an overdose. (Believe me, I've tried, and it's not pretty).
tetrahydrocannabinol has a LD50 of about 1500 lbs. An excessive amount of any chemical can cause overdose, which may or may not lead to death. I would need to smoke 1000 joints in under one minute to get the same effect as 24 hours of consuming what quantity of alcohol? Are you high right now?

I smoke it to relieve anxiety, before I go to bed at night. And it works.
I smoke once a month, once every two months, (now it's been over 6 months since last time).
What other medications have you tried for your anxiety disorder?

Go look for "Death by pot" or "Crime on pot," I bet you won't find anything.

Ps. You shouldn't abuse any substance.
If you look up pot fatalities you won't find much but if you look up marijuana/crime you'll find lots of stats detailing the percentage of criminals who are involved in assault, burglary, murder, domestic abuse, etc. (the murder part is mostly along the border and is mostly due to government restrictions on marijuana in both mexico and the united states, although, as far as anyone can tell, some level of violence would continue even if marijuana were legalized in both countries)

As for the OP, people who are of mixed ethnic backgrounds are more likely to smoke marijuana, followed by american indians.

There isn't a type that is most likely to become addicted, ime. I would say that the extreme wings of each type(tiny mentally-challenged, mentally sick minority) are probably more likely to become addicted than those who are more balanced(most of us)

burymecloser

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6w5
you know you can get addicted on eating raw potatoes(or basically anything) if you do it enough. afaik it can even lead on a physical addiction because your body gets so used to eating only certain kind of food.
So you agree that marijuana addiction is possible. I'd love to see a link to a study documenting evidence of raw potato addiction. :)

INTP said:
fatigue, anxiety and paranoia arent signs of overdose, its a sign that you smoked too much for your psyche to handle.
That's exactly what they are. Let the phrase "too much" be a clue to you of what constitutes an overdose. That's exactly what it means.

That is not called an addiction. That is called a habbit. A bad habbit.
That's quite a distinction. I guess you showed me.

angell_m said:
An addiction is something you cannot live without. You CAN live without pot, and you WON'T get withdrawals when you stop smoking it (even if you've been smoking it three times a day for a year).
No.

Addictions so severe they can cause death are extraordinarily rare, and heroin is the only drug I'm aware of that creates fatal withdrawal with any frequency. If that's your standard for addiction, it's a meaningless word. Psychological dependence on marijuana has been medically established, as has physical dependence (which is what leads to withdrawal), though both are mild compared to most other drugs, particularly Schedule I drugs.

angell_m said:
By overdose I mean you cannot take a lethal dosage. You would have to smoke 1000 joints in under one minute to get the same effect you do in 24 hours of consuming alcohol.
I already said this: 'By "can't overdose", I assume you mean can't die from an overdose, which is true.' Your numbers are clearly made up, though. Not all joints have the same amount or potency of THC, and people drink radically different amounts of alcohol at radically different rates over 24 hours. Ideally you would use THC and BAC levels to measure this kind of thing. You're right, though, that it is physically impossible for a human to die directly from an overdose of smoked marijuana.

angell_m said:
However, smoking pot and drinking alcohol at the same time will multiple the effect of both pot and alcohol which will act like an overdose. (Believe me, I've tried, and it's not pretty).
Thanks for the tip, since I've never, ever tried that myself. :rolleyes:
It means a lot coming from you, because you're obviously an authority on these matters.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So you agree that marijuana addiction is possible. I'd love to see a link to a study documenting evidence of raw potato addiction. :)

That's exactly what they are. Let the phrase "too much" be a clue to you of what constitutes an overdose. That's exactly what it means.

people can get addicted to anything, including raw potatoes.

if someone who has a schizophrenia smokes 0.01g of weed and starts flipping out, do you think that he has smoked an overdose?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
you know you can get addicted on eating raw potatoes(or basically anything) if you do it enough.

I'd love to see a link to a study documenting evidence of raw potato addiction. :)

Close enough.

Potatoes have traces of nicotine in them just as tomatoes do ..

Nicotine is a naturally occurring compound that can be found in many varieties of tea and vegetables and this include potatoes and tomatoes. In fact, people who are against it, without realizing it, are taking in small traces of nicotine everyday.

Read more: Nicotine Water and Health Benefits
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution