• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gender Differences

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Gender differences are attributable to the T/F dichotomy.
Yes.

And?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Gender differences are attributable to the T/F dichotomy.
Yes.

And?

I/E? I've heard something about men on old sailing vessels having some kind of unspoken understanding that a certain part of the ship was their "personal space" or something. I can't really think of another relevant stereotype.

Of course if that's what you're suggesting, this really isn't going to make the female Introverts or male Extraverts too happy...

But honestly, I've never really even been sure of the T/F thing completely... much of it seems to be cultural. So I don't really like pushing people into boxes based on gender stereotypes.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I/E? I've heard something about men on old sailing vessels having some kind of unspoken understanding that a certain part of the ship was their "personal space" or something. I can't really think of another relevant stereotype.

Of course if that's what you're suggesting, this really isn't going to make the female Introverts or male Extraverts too happy...

But honestly, I've never really even been sure of the T/F thing completely... much of it seems to be cultural. So I don't really like pushing people into boxes based on gender stereotypes.
You always succeed to point out the relevance.

Question or answer?

Does it matter?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
How about I answer?
Real (representative sample) studies show that.
-Women and men are equally good at throwing a ball with thier non-dominant hand. (I will always find this a great example in 'how to remove the culture influence')
-Women and men on average talk exactly the same amount.

I'm just getting started here.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I feel like more males are T then F, and more females are F then T..

MBTI Type
ENTP
How about I answer?
Real (representative sample) studies show that.
-Women and men are equally good at throwing a ball with thier non-dominant hand. (I will always find this a great example in 'how to remove the culture influence')
-Women and men on average talk exactly the same amount.

I'm just getting started here.

But men can throw the ball much faster/harder.

Not_Me

MBTI Type
INTj
I read somewhere that 75% of females are F. Men are more evenly distributed. That would explain some of the popularized differences.

edcoaching

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I read somewhere that 75% of females are F. Men are more evenly distributed. That would explain some of the popularized differences.

The official statistics from the "National Representative Sample," U.S. only, are 60% of men prefer Thinking and 60% of women prefer Feeling. But, as stated above our culture values Thinking in men and Feeling in women so people who have the "opposite" preference usually get trained in their nonpreferred style from an early age...

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
The was I study I read a while back on a guy who came up with this test for male and female brains. I think his name was Cohen or Baron-Cohen. Female corresponded roughly to F and male to T. He didn't use those terms though, he called them social (female) and logical (male).

According to his findings the majority or females had the "female brain" type and the majority of males had the "male brain" type.

However, as a female who took his test on-line and was rated "very masculine," I was a bit put off by his whole terminolgy. I imaging most males would not be happy to score female.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
The was I study I read a while back on a guy who came up with this test for male and female brains. I think his name was Cohen or Baron-Cohen. Female corresponded roughly to F and male to T. He didn't use those terms though, he called them social (female) and logical (male).

According to his findings the majority or females had the "female brain" type and the majority of males had the "male brain" type.

However, as a female who took his test on-line and was rated "very masculine," I was a bit put off by his whole terminolgy. I imaging most males would not be happy to score female.

OMG, where is his online test? I need a good laugh today.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Every time I take a gender related test, I come out female. :rolli:

Anyhow, Wildcat, I find the statement about gender corelation too generalized. I think the doubts about this become more apparent when we look at it from a process specific level. For instance, I have witnessed, in all manners, a great deal of men who clearly posess very high Fi.

It think you will find that the accuracy of these matches changes depending on what circumstances you are observing.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Every time I take a gender related test, I come out female. :rolli:

Anyhow, Wildcat, I find the statement about gender corelation too generalized. I think the doubts about this become more apparent when we look at it from a process specific level. For instance, I have witnessed, in all manners, a great deal of men who clearly posess very high Fi.

It think you will find that the accuracy of these matches changes depending on what circumstances you are observing.

Its a dilemma. We all want to be able to group people and make generalizations because it makes things easier for us, but almost everyone resents being stereotyped.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I often criticize gender destinction studies on pragmatic grounds, as well. That is too say, I don't find them useful. When making decisions about someone, we should always base it on their individual merit. So, even if it just happened that the two genders tended toward different traits, it would still be irrelevant, because we'll never put it to use.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I often criticize gender destinction studies on pragmatic grounds, as well. That is too say, I don't find them useful. When making decisions about someone, we should always base it on their individual merit. So, even if it just happened that the two genders tended toward different traits, it would still be irrelevant, because will never put it to use.

Really? I'd rather take the statistics and approach people through a perspective that will confirm what I already know -must- be true. :alttongue:

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
Its a dilemma. We all want to be able to group people and make generalizations because it makes things easier for us, but almost everyone resents being stereotyped.

The main issue for me is how you describe the person who doesn't fit the stereotype. Are they are rare type, which is neutral or even positive? Or are they abnormal or a freak?

My main issue was not the test itself, but the terms used. If the test said most women are type E, but you are type L, I would be okay with that. I'm used to being a rare type. I took an on-line personality type recently where they asked some background information on gender, age, education level. At the end they compared my results to others in my demographic. I didn't match any of them, but I didn't mind at all.