• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

stupid Te

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's frustrating for me to think of "stupid Te" and "Te is stupid" as separate entities. It's kind of like how Simulatedworld made a thread talking about Conspiracy Fi, which was meant to be a separate entity from non-conspiracy Fi.

This "stupid Te" and "Te is stupid" is a context thing. One is a definition the other is not. One puts Te in the same group as stupid and the other splits out part of Te and places it in that group. Its like saying "you are stupid" vs "that was stupid". With one all the positive is dismissed, and sent with all the negative. "that was stupid" splits apart the good from the bad. "stupid Te" is more like "that was stupid" and the OP followed this thought by seperating out a portion of it.

Those who prefer Ti don't need external criteria for their reasoning while those who prefer Te do. That doesn't mean that either preference is innately stupid. You might want to make your posts less provocative and more sober. But, of course, your intent was to provoke reactions from the same demographic you were talking about and then tell us we were exhibiting the same behavior you were describing. Right?

Thanks, that helps me understand Te a little better. "stupid Te" is when they act before they have the "external criteria", but the acting is more of a chart the coure Ni/Si thing. Then they get bit by "stupid Te". Also, not saying chart the course personalities are stupid, but this could be a reason why they tend to lean toward their tertiary as opposed to their aux function.

Anyway, Te and Fe are both "driven" functions so actions are always taken before fully thought/felt out.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i didnt say Te is stupid :doh:

But i said it kinda in a way that stupid Te looking at this topic would think i said so, since i wanted to see how many Te users fall into that and how many would get what im actually saying.
Sorry to misquote that then (in the rush), but the point was that the things of Te (the perspective) may tend to come off as stupid to our type, to the point that you said "i havent yet met any Te user who wouldnt be at least little stupid like this".

G

Ginkgo

Thanks, that helps me understand Te a little better. "stupid Te" is when they act before they have the "external criteria", but the acting is more of a chart the coure Ni/Si thing. Then they get bit by "stupid Te". Also, not saying chart the course personalities are stupid, but this could be a reason why they tend to lean toward their tertiary as opposed to their aux function.

Imagine 2 detectives, one prefers Te and one prefers Ti. The Te detective must go out and piece together information to catch a perpetrator until it is cogent and reasoned out. The Ti detective only needs a small bit of information, from which he can build off in his mind until he reasons his own cogent analysis. Both functions work analytically and linearly, just in opposite directions.

Ti analysis works very precisely and semantically because it must be linear in its own right. I can recall my ENTP friend categorizing and coining different terminologies for us to use during Magic the Gathering games or some RPG. For instance, he would coin "crusading" as going on an excursion to claim treasure or land, while "questing" was supposed to be completing tasks for a client.

This, at the time, seemed unnecessary and almost fetishistic. I felt like both of these activities generally involved "going out and killing shit to accomplish a goal", and images of men and armor cleaving through hordes like butter are evoked for me. Fi was giving me a general feel of the situation, and my Te anima was saving the day.

Both my ENTP friend and I are imaginative; however, his imagination is lined by internal analysis, while mine i lined with images and essences. For instance, when we talk about such things as Magic the Gathering, he reviews the data and numbers attributed to the cards. It often seems very rigid to me, but I'm sure he could cook up any number of potential combinations to create a large systematic card deck. However, my mind always wonders into the realm of imagining these cards as "real" characters, realms, or places. My compulsion lies within creating abstract worlds that have more of an empirical quality about them, yet are still figments of my imagination.

Another interesting dit bit is when I argue with him, I more heavily rely on external source material. "Pix or it didn't happen". Meanwhile, he checks the inner consistency of a thought before he accepts it.

Eric B: Would you mind analyzing what I just said in terms of typology and function? That would be really awesome, you're good at this stuff. :)

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Imagine 2 detectives, one prefers Te and one prefers Ti. The Te detective must go out and piece together information to catch a perpetrator until it is cogent and reasoned out. The Ti detective only needs a small bit of information, from which he can build off in his mind until he reasons his own cogent analysis. Both functions work analytically and linearly, just in opposite directions.
Your Ti example sounds INTJ

Ti analysis works very precisely and semantically because it must be linear in its own right. I can recall my ENTP friend categorizing and coining different terminologies for us to use during Magic the Gathering games or some RPG. For instance, he would coin "crusading" as going on an excursion to claim treasure or land, while "questing" was supposed to be completing tasks for a client.
Thats "defining" and not logic.

This, at the time, seemed unnecessary and almost fetishistic. I felt like both of these activities generally involved "going out and killing shit to accomplish a goal", and images of men and armor cleaving through hordes like butter are evoked for me. Fi was giving me a general feel of the situation, and my Te anima was saving the day.
Sounds like differing visions. Vision is not logic, but perception.

Both my ENTP friend and I are imaginative; however, his imagination is lined by internal analysis, while mine i lined with images and essences. For instance, when we talk about such things as Magic the Gathering, he reviews the data and numbers attributed to the cards. It often seems very rigid to me, but I'm sure he could cook up any number of potential combinations to create a large systematic card deck. However, my mind always wonders into the realm of imagining these cards as "real" characters, realms, or places. My compulsion lies within creating abstract worlds that have more of an empirical quality about them, yet are still figments of my imagination.
The whole game in itself is imaginary, you just live it, while he tries to conquer it. Whole thing sounds kinda N to me(playful poking at N types though it may invoke certain emotions)

Another interesting dit bit is when I argue with him, I more heavily rely on external source material. "Pix or it didn't happen". Meanwhile, he checks the inner consistency of a thought before he accepts it.
:yes:

Eric B: Would you mind analyzing what I just said in terms of typology and function? That would be really awesome, you're good at this stuff. :)
No one likes me, everybody hates me, guess i'll go eat worms...lol...(this is Ni playing with where this would lead Fi to, a little Fe nudge, lol)

G

Ginkgo

Ok, I anticipate something will get lost in translation, but I'll try anyway.

Your Ti example sounds INTJ

Why? Those who prefer Te usually have to empirically test their environment to either confirm or dismiss their hypothesis. This can either be done in a hands-on environment (Yes, I know this sounds like experiential and sensory Se), or it can be done by digesting external information.

While Ti is more like a blueprint that defines how a system should act, Te is like the construction of that system in real life.

Thats "defining" and not logic.

In order for one to properly use logic or reason, one must have succinct definitions for the words being used within the reasoning. Words are like pieces of a jig say puzzle that must fit before the puzzle makes sense. Otherwise, it crumbles. You're critiquing my word usage because it doesn't add up, logically.

Sounds like differing visions. Vision is not logic, but perception.

Hmm... I think what a meant to say was that my friend sees the game as a system with numbers, probability, amongst other things; while I see it as a creative world with its own lore. And of course, we both intersect each others' thought process, and we aren't limited to either way of thinking. However, I think that his systematic approach is a hallmark of how his Ti manifests itself, while my more fantastical approach is a hallmark of how my Fi manifests itself.

The whole game in itself is imaginary, you just live it, while he tries to conquer it. Whole thing sounds kinda N to me(playful poking at N types though it may invoke certain emotions)

Yeah, he and I are both attracted to those things.

No one likes me, everybody hates me, guess i'll go eat worms...lol...(this is Ni playing with where this would lead Fi to, a little Fe nudge, lol)
:hug:

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I anticipate something will get lost in translation, but I'll try anyway.

Why? Those who prefer Te usually have to empirically test their environment to either confirm or dismiss their hypothesis. This can either be done in a hands-on environment (Yes, I know this sounds like experiential and sensory Se), or it can be done by digesting external information.

While Ti is more like a blueprint that defines how a system should act, Te is like the construction of that system in real life.

At a younger age Te likes to "test" their environment until they get a good understanding of it, then the testing slows down as they age. Ti builds that blueprint silently. The definition part is more INTP instead of ISTP, ISTPs want to understand more how the system acts.

In order for one to properly use logic or reason, one must have succinct definitions for the words being used within the reasoning. Words are like pieces of a jig say puzzle that must fit before the puzzle makes sense. Otherwise, it crumbles. You're critiquing my word usage because it doesn't add up, logically.
Its actually a combination of ideas and words. I can easily use the word vision to explain my understanding, but because of how an ENTPs vision works I feel a need to seperate "logic" from "vision". They have a "vision" and they have "logical analysis". The ENTP technical detours is driven by Ne while the analysis part is driven with Ti.

Hmm... I think what a meant to say was that my friend sees the game as a system with numbers, probability, amongst other things; while I see it as a creative world with its own lore. And of course, we both intersect each others' thought process, and we aren't limited to either way of thinking. However, I think that his systematic approach is a hallmark of how his Ti manifests itself, while my more fantastical approach is a hallmark of how my Fi manifests itself.

Yeah, he and I are both attracted to those things.

:hug:
:yes: I wouldnt focus on numbers at all, but just do things to have fun. My first attempt to actually suceed would go straight to creating a spreadsheet or writing a program. The program or spreadsheet would be like "working" logic.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nothing pisses me off more than stupid Te, stupid Te is when the person is trying to prove that his point of view is right or that others point of view is false by using more or less insignificant details.
You're describing "stupid Ti" here, too. And "stupid Fi" and "stupid Fe" and ... um, "just plain stupid."
When the person sees these details totally black(wrong) and white(right) and judges the other persons point false of view if he finds even some small insignificant detail that is not 100% correct.
Seriously, I've found this to be as commonplace with Ti as with Te. People tend to believe what they already believe. Such has been the case throughout human history.

Reasoning for this kind of thinking is that if you would be right, there couldnt be any incorrect things in your opinion.
This is mostly miscommunication between Te and Ti. Te says things in a particularly forceful way that tends to annoy Ti. However, Te is expecting an intelligent, cogent response that corrects errors. Te doesn't like being wrong, but would far rather be proven wrong (and learn something), than being allowed to believe something false.

Im not saying that every Te user is like this, but i havent yet met any Te user who wouldnt be at least little stupid like this. Uumlau seems to be intelligent Te user, i cant be 100% sure about him tho. Do Te users have to be an old fart to have even a little chance of being an intellectual(instead of just an smart ass)?

Talk about damning with faint praise.

If this is the quality of statements you usually direct toward Te users, why would you expect anything other than "smart ass" remarks from them?

Ti users also have a way of doing that just as much as any other type....
It's more of a general sign of being stuck in your perspective, insecurity and/or having control issues.
^^^ This.

I was hoping more of this kind of comments from Te users where they cant see what isnt said and thats why getting to wrong conclusions on what people are trying to tell them. Part of the reason why i made this topic so that i could see if many Te users are like this.

"Where they can't see what isn't said" ...

A piece of advice for you: most everyone believes that they are being reasonable, in their own mind.

If you're having this kind of trouble mostly with Te users, then the issue is far more likely about communication styles than anything else.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nothing pisses me off more than stupid Te, stupid Te is when the person is trying to prove that his point of view is right or that others point of view is false by using more or less insignificant details. When the person sees these details totally black(wrong) and white(right) and judges the other persons point false of view if he finds even some small insignificant detail that is not 100% correct. Reasoning for this kind of thinking is that if you would be right, there couldnt be any incorrect things in your opinion. In extreme cases this stupid Te even finds incorrect information in other peoples opinion, that actually has nothing to do with the persons opinion because he is trying soooo hard to find a fault in other persons opinion that it starts to wander out of the actual subject. Stupid Te also blocks out very stubbornly everything other guy has to say after he finds a fault(or what seems to be a fault to a stupid Te) in what he says(it might even be misunderstanding on stupid Te that is caused by wrong usage of some single word). Depending on how stupid the Te is it might even be most the time when the stupid Te is the one who is wrong. Stupid Te also always finds something to support his point of view and sometimes these things that support his point of view is as stupid and insignificant small details as the ones that he uses as reason why other peoples point of view is false. And is as stubborn on the reasons why he is right as he is on the reasons why others are wrong.

Im not saying that every Te user is like this, but i havent yet met any Te user who wouldnt be at least little stupid like this. Uumlau seems to be intelligent Te user, i cant be 100% sure about him tho. Do Te users have to be an old fart to have even a little chance of being an intellectual(instead of just an smart ass)?

I thought it was Ti that is notorious for being a logic/argument structure/detail Nazi. Te-stupido would be more about enforcing agenda, structure and procedures for no practical reason other than to have agenda, structure and procedures.

Te --> PowerPoint
Ti --> Word...as far as 80 paged detailed legal contracts are concerned.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
What, you WANT to lower Haight's server bills? :huh:

Te dictates that this thread is inefficient.

I thought it was Ti that is notorious for being a logic/argument structure/detail Nazi. Te-stupido would be more about enforcing agenda, structure and procedures for no practical reason other than to have agenda, structure and procedures.

Te --> PowerPoint
Ti --> Word...as far as 80 paged detailed legal contracts are concerned.

This.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
"Empirical thinking is at the core of extraverted Thinking when we challenge someone’s ideas based on the logic of the facts in front of us or lay out reasonable explanations for decisions or conclusions made, often trying to establish order in someone else’s thought process."

Still seems like Te to me. You see some insignificant small detail might look like reasonable logical explanation to Te if it is trying too hard to find something to support his point of view. And that is what makes Te stupid when it tries to find something to support its thinking from things that in reality does not support the thinking, even tho it might find some small fraction on it to partly support it(judging too fast if it supports it or not before looking at it more deeply).

Apparently you are not aware of the fact that the definition of Te you posted has almost nothing to do with what you've described as "stupid Te." Let me disabuse you of your foolish notions.

What it says in the Te description:

1. Challenges ideas based on facts in front of them.
2. Gives reasonable explanations for conclusions or decisions.
3. Tries to organize the thinking of others.

What you've said:

1. Resorts to petty tactics (such as focusing on useless details) in order to win an argument/support conclusions derived irrationally.

Really all you've said here is that you don't like people who are stubborn in their opinions, and Te users are certainly not the only people guilty of such behavior.

I was hoping more of this kind of comments from Te users where they cant see what isnt said and thats why getting to wrong conclusions on what people are trying to tell them. Part of the reason why i made this topic so that i could see if many Te users are like this.

They can't see what isn't said? Wouldn't that be more of a failing on the part of their interlocutor? If you don't explain yourself in a way that makes any sense, is it really reasonable to blame others for misunderstanding you?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Te dictates that this thread is inefficient.

This.

aww, you searched my posts to find something you can argue with. you do know that this topic is about year old?

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
aww, you searched my posts to find something you can argue with. you do know that this topic is about year old?

It was recommended by someone that I review it; someone was discussing it. I always read the whole thread.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
INTP and Elfboy should have a competition for who can dig a more impressive Abyss of Fail.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTP and Elfboy should have a competition for who can dig a more impressive Abyss of Fail.

you do know that the topic was some random thoughts year ago?

KDude

Both Ti and Te can be stupid depending on how narrow the perspective their operating from. Maybe a genius Ti type might deduce the properties of a system almost strictly from a phenomenal perspective, but not all can do that. It'd be nice if they could. We'd probably be a far more advanced species than we are if that was the case. There's power in seeing the rules of a game before you even see all of the pieces. Sometimes though their reasoning is just arbitrary, and too arrogant to be open to more information, to see that the game is not what they first thought. Ironically, even if Galileo was a Ne-Ti type, I would say that he had to combat a stupid Ti system (one that was institutionalized by Si perhaps), and he had to use Te (or was it Pe?) to show the superiority of his own.

Te is stupid when it deals with objects on a piecemeal basis, not having a grasp (or at least not caring) of any underlying principles at play except their own habits or visions. It's not really the Te that is stupid in this case, I guess. It's the Pi. The more narrow or ambitious they are, the more they try to smash through or control. And if it's not stupid, it's not cool at least.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something myself in this post. Just my 2c..