• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

there were more SJ in the past?

niki

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't know,..
but the reason why I'm speculating on this one, is because according to the article, & website about "The Millenials" generation (ie: meaning 'techie' / internet generation nowadays) like Millennials ...on 60 Minutes; Exclusive Video Only on Yahoo! News , for example,
said that generation nowadays tend to be more "innovative & creative" (though sometimes also negatively perceived as lazy, want only easy things, etc) .
and since the past things were much more simpler than nowadays (according to my Chinese parents' generations: life in their time were not lush in entertainment. so it's more focus on work. not like now w/ i-pod, mp3 player, internet, etc) , sometimes I kinda see how people in my parents' generation (baby-boomer generation) , were more direct "SJ"-oriented, always talking about "safe, conventional" jobs & sometimes rather judgemental about it (or is it just because they're MY parents?).

at least now you have this whole generation that is so crazed bout 'UN-conventional' things or even careers, such as Design, Interior Design (in the past there were no such thing) , and all this whole vibrant Indie music movement , and not to mention YouTube, more 'creative' & vibrant online business, even in what i've termed as "cool" jobs (ie: Zappo.com , even Google.inc !) , that I don't think ever exist in the past-time.
I don't know.....It seems that the Millenials are more "intuitive" & "creative" (just like the interview in the website above mentioned) than folks in the past. well, I could be wrong though (give me examples, pls)

is it a global change?
or it's just "very usual" thing, also occuring in the past?

i know i could be basing on the wrong things,..
but basically, up till now, i've only found VERY little "Intuitives" (it seems), let alone "NF" parents (though i think i'm kinda 'lucky' enough to havefound 1 or 2 seemingly NF parents who were very 'dreamy' & sort of idealistic).
most that I've found are of SJ traits.

were it related with the World-war time/era ? that things were miniscully reduced to the very simplistic things such as survival only ?
or it might be more of cultural thing? (most Chinese in my parents' days were taught to be very conservative, traditional. while even most Chinese kids are starting to question all those 'traditional, secure' things. thanks to the Internet & globalization).
or is it might be just in my circumstances, that it happened I have been 'unlucky' to only find "SJ" in most parents here in Indonesia ?

Need your opinions.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, I think it's that technological change/advancement has become such a part of culture in many areas that SJ's seem more like N's in some respects than they used to.

heart

heart on fire
External standards are changing, SJ will follow them.

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Niki wrote: "at least now you have this whole generation that is so crazed bout 'UN-conventional' things or even careers, such as Design, Interior Design (in the past there were no such thing) ...."

Not true! The profession existed, but under another name. An example is the famous cabinet-maker Thomas Chippendale (of 18th century England) who had the title of "upholsterer" rather than master cabinetmaker, which he was. His firm which employed about 22 men (I believe) supplied to clients not only furniture but wall coverings, draperies etc. His clientle would have had an academic grounding in architecture and therefore Chippendale was serving a discriminating customer. Chiipendale undertook all aspects of furnishing homes and worked closely with architects of the period such as Adam. Most high style design in this period was derived from the French, who imported it from eastern sources...The profession of an "upholsterer" or what is now known as "interior designer" has existed for centuries, at least as far as the wealthy are concerned.

Anything made is designed to some extent...and in this particular period in England a tradesman had to be very knowledgeable in all aspects of his craft and some aspects of those allied trades. Quality wasn't just a marketing tool used to trick potential clients into a purchase as it is today. Quality was literaly your livelihood. You produced product in a local market where you were known...any problems with the quality of your product would be immediately known to all your current and potential clientle. As the advent of cost efficient shipping grew into the dominate mode of furniture sales and distribution quality seems to have dropped in direct proportion to the customers ability to access the manufacturer physically.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know,..
but the reason why I'm speculating on this one, is because according to the article, & website about "The Millenials" generation (ie: meaning 'techie' / internet generation nowadays) like Millennials ...on 60 Minutes; Exclusive Video Only on Yahoo! News , for example,
said that generation nowadays tend to be more "innovative & creative" (though sometimes also negatively perceived as lazy, want only easy things, etc) .
and since the past things were much more simpler than nowadays (according to my Chinese parents' generations: life in their time were not lush in entertainment. so it's more focus on work. not like now w/ i-pod, mp3 player, internet, etc) , sometimes I kinda see how people in my parents' generation (baby-boomer generation) , were more direct "SJ"-oriented, always talking about "safe, conventional" jobs & sometimes rather judgemental about it (or is it just because they're MY parents?).

at least now you have this whole generation that is so crazed bout 'UN-conventional' things or even careers, such as Design, Interior Design (in the past there were no such thing) , and all this whole vibrant Indie music movement , and not to mention YouTube, more 'creative' & vibrant online business, even in what i've termed as "cool" jobs (ie: Zappo.com , even Google.inc !) , that I don't think ever exist in the past-time.
I don't know.....It seems that the Millenials are more "intuitive" & "creative" (just like the interview in the website above mentioned) than folks in the past. well, I could be wrong though (give me examples, pls)

is it a global change?
or it's just "very usual" thing, also occuring in the past?

i know i could be basing on the wrong things,..
but basically, up till now, i've only found VERY little "Intuitives" (it seems), let alone "NF" parents (though i think i'm kinda 'lucky' enough to havefound 1 or 2 seemingly NF parents who were very 'dreamy' & sort of idealistic).
most that I've found are of SJ traits.

were it related with the World-war time/era ? that things were miniscully reduced to the very simplistic things such as survival only ?
or it might be more of cultural thing? (most Chinese in my parents' days were taught to be very conservative, traditional. while even most Chinese kids are starting to question all those 'traditional, secure' things. thanks to the Internet & globalization).
or is it might be just in my circumstances, that it happened I have been 'unlucky' to only find "SJ" in most parents here in Indonesia ?

Need your opinions.
Older generation always appears more SJ-ish in the eyes of the younger one.

The baby boomers are an exception: the dropout quota is higher among them which leaves a lot less non-SJs at the top.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The "SJ generation" as it has been defined for a long time (a holdover from the mid-20th century, a la the Cleaver family and the voice of modernism) is dying off.

Ever since the 70's, where the United States really began letting alternate voices "in" (eastern philosophy/spiritual practices were one big shift in that time period, I remember how bad the reaction was in the religious community to things like "yoga" and "transcendental meditation"), things have been shifting. The current day United States culture seems more SP in overall nature -- lots of texture, variety, color, design, life. Very aesthetic. Freedom is promoted.

All this means that SJ types will shift in appearance as well. They'll look different than what the stereotype used to be. They still seem to provide stability and structure to the culture.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
humans gained self awareness- thus, opening the doors to intuition