• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL, the Feelers are fat.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Haphazzard:

This basic area always remains in the same proportion. With endomorphs the section below the waist is larger than the section above the waist. With mesomorphs the section above the waist is larger than the section below the waist.

Ok, so if my torso is long, like, from the top of my shoulders to my waist is long, but from my waist to my crotch is short, that is a general indication that I'm a meso?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Haphazzard:
This basic area always remains in the same proportion.

Understood. BUT - proportion is a factor of X, Y, and Z dimensions, right?

With endomorphs the section below the waist is larger than the section above the waist.

Can you cite a source that describes these definitions? If you have earlier I apologize. Larger means what? Longer? Wider? Deeper?

With mesomorphs the section above the waist is larger than the section below the waist.

Again, Larger means what? Longer? Wider? Deeper?

This figure is calculated along with height to determine the degree of ectomorphy.

L * W * H * FIGURE_VALUE = Degree_Of_Ectomorphy?

Weight becomes significant as an indicator of somatotype usually in mid 20's to early 30's because a clear trend is evident.

"Weight" is a misleading term. I am a bodybuilder, and if you consider my BMI alone, at 6'1" and 240 pounds I am considered obese. I'm not obese, I guarantee it. So, somehow weight must be fitted to accomodate the ratio of muscle to fat to bone if it is to be worth a damn in mweasuring anything so far as I can tell.

Most americans eat a bad diet. The american diet is especially bad for endomorphs. But they are lucky enough to get reminders about their diet from their weight.

I'm sure Americans aren't the only people of the world with sub-optimal diets. Most people likely do not put an ideal amount of effort into optimizing their food intake, but we live in a very deemanding world, and people have the right to choose the foods they eat, no one metric makes sense for everyone. But I see your point if you are considering this from a sheerly clinical perspective.

Ectomorphs may keep their weight down on french fries and pizza but the inflamation, joint problems, migraines, high blood pressure, arterial plaque take their toll pretty much out of sight.

Is there any qualified medical literature that associates ectomorphy with inflamation, joint problems, migraines, high blood pressure, and arterial plaque?

I'd be shocked if there were...

Ok, so if my torso is long, like, from the top of my shoulders to my waist is long, but from my waist to my crotch is short, that is a general indication that I'm a meso?

I have the exact same question. I am "long waisted." I have the torso of a 6'4" man, and the legs of a 6'1" man. My shirt size is 18 neck, 36/37 sleeves. My pants need to be tailor made. I buy size 38 waist pants at length 32, and have to get the waist and seat toally re-cut to make it fit my "gorilla butt and quadricceps." I'm a mesomorph, but long waisted. There's no way I'm an ectomorph, or an endomorph. I am very confused at this point as to how to apply this theory. :wacko:

Psychdigg

Tilty Red: Not necessarily. It's not just the length it involves the area as it it can be determined on a photograph.

wpdf1def1e.jpg

This photo shows the two areas that have to be considered. The top is the thoracic trunk and the bottom is the abdominal trunk.

You could take that photo and stretch it vertically and the person would look ectomorphic but the Trunk Index would be the same. Or you could squash the image and the Trunk Index would be the same because it is a ratio.

For example: Two men with the identical Trunk Index of 1.30 but different heights would be somatotyped as follows:

60 inches tall Endo 2.5 Meso 1.0 Ecto 4.0 86 pounds at age 30

66 inches tall Endo 4.0 Meso 2.5 Ecto 3.0 134 pounds at age 30

The system is fairly precise.

Psychdigg

Pitselah:

Without a photograph you probably are in the area of a Endo 2 Meso 2 Ecto 3.5

This would be close to the 3,3,5 area on the chart splitting you between INTP and INTJ and even possibly slightly ENTP

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Tilty Red: Not necessarily. It's not just the length it involves the area as it it can be determined on a photograph.

wpdf1def1e.jpg

This photo shows the two areas that have to be considered. The top is the thoracic trunk and the bottom is the abdominal trunk.

Right. My top part is long -- shirts are often too short. And people think I'm tall until I stand up. I can sit next to someone much taller than I am and we appear to be the same height, sitting.

The bottom part is just the opposite. I have to buy pants in Petite proportion because otherwise the waist will come up to my ribcage or the crotch will hang. Then I have to let the hems out, because my legs are closer to average (but still short compared to my torso).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazzard:

Forget about fat for a minute. Fat and muscle comes and goes but it doesn't change the somatotype. Your anatomical waist doesn't change. It is a line that divides the trunk midway between the bottom of the rib cage and the top of the pelvis. The base of the trunk - is basically the bony structure generally referred to as "crotch". (Heh-Heh He said bony structure). The top of the trunk is defined by the point where the neck joins the trunk over to a point that bisects the arc of the shoulders.

This basic area always remains in the same proportion. With endomorphs the section below the waist is larger than the section above the waist. With mesomorphs the section above the waist is larger than the section below the waist.

This figure is calculated along with height to determine the degree of ectomorphy.

Weight becomes significant as an indicator of somatotype usually in mid 20's to early 30's because a clear trend is evident.

Most americans eat a bad diet. The american diet is especially bad for endomorphs. But they are lucky enough to get reminders about their diet from their weight. Ectomorphs may keep their weight down on french fries and pizza but the inflamation, joint problems, migraines, high blood pressure, arterial plaque take their toll pretty much out of sight.

So if the top and the bottom of my trunk are exactly the same length (as they are on me) then...?

That must be the reason why I have no trouble finding clothes that fit -- I mean, except button up shirts :newwink:

Chloe

-- I mean, except button up shirts :newwink:

you have big titties? Great. I am sure all the girlz are jealous and all the boyz want to fuck you on forum. :)smile:):)smile:) <- 2 of 'em, representing the titties.

:D

as for this:

Haphazard said:
Then naturally I must be a mesomorph because of my gigantic breasts.

is this really meso trait or ? i mean, does breast size has anything to do with body type... because there are meso,endo and ectos with large breasts, ex. Angelina Jolie as ecto.
Just checking wasnt following thread.

Keep on rockin' those big titties. :wubbie:

EDIT: You have pics requests, but ignore that, those arent boyz, more like married dudes, Gosh! :D

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
5'10

I dont kno wmy measurements. I'm a guy, lol.

Psychdigg

DejaVu

5'10" 150 pounds. Looks like you could easily add 20 pound in the next 10 years. Yeah you probably are ENFP. Slight possibility of ENTP.

G

Glycerine

Pitselah:

Without a photograph you probably are in the area of a Endo 2 Meso 2 Ecto 3.5

This would be close to the 3,3,5 area on the chart splitting you between INTP and INTJ and even possibly slightly ENTP
That's interesting because I identify with ENFJ mostly. :)

Psychdigg

Pitseleh:

Following some of your threads I discovered you are a female which makes quite a bit of difference.

I would need a photo to be absolutely sure of your somatotype but you most likely are:

Endo 3 Meso 2 Ecto 3.5 which would put you in the area of 4,3,5 on the chart and indicate you are ENTP.

As far as jumping over to ENFJ that IS a possibility. It's not a giant leap and mid-range types like yours can do that.

Psychdigg

Halla 74:

I checked out your pictures and was able to use one of them for somatotyping.

Your Trunk Index appears to be 1.56 Here is the most likely somatotype:

Endomorphy: 5 Mesomorphy: 6 Ectomorphy 2.5 You are really high in mesomorphy. Good candidate for WWF Weight Pattern for this type.

221@20 256@30 284@40 300@50 so 238 would be a pretty good weight for you.

As far as MBTI you would probably be in the ESFP area. That's a fun place to be.

ESFP's like people more than ESTP's

MBTI Type
INFJ
Halfjillhalfjack:

Once again I have to begin this with a disclaimer. I can't know your actual somatotype without a proper somatotype photo. In some cases weight and height and age can come quite close. In your case:

You could be a Endo 5.5 Meso 3 Ecto 1.5 Balance 4.0

This would put you in the INFJ territory.

Your boyfriends situation is a little more ambiguous because his weight could be either from mesomorphy in which case he would be an ESFP or his weight could be from endomorphy which would be ENFP.

thank you for your help, it's very interesting, and completely confirms what I believe my type is....!

VictorClimacus

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4x3
6'3''
170 lbs
average width shoulders/chest, narrow waist, defined ribs, average-sized hips, long and stringy limbs, naturally little muscle or body fat, though I can put on muscle without too much trouble. For some reason I have big, strong thighs and, over time, have developed formidable strength in my chest and arms that has stayed with me for many years.

Hmmm. I would put myself around the 235 range. That puts me as an INTJ, which is not me, but certainly within the family of personalities--the introverted intuitives--with whom I am most comfortable and prefer to associate myself.

Hmmm. I would go so far as to say that there are more extraverted sensors per-capita among mesomorphs and more Introverted Thinkers among ectomorphs per-capita, but no further. I can imagine that the same hormones (i.e., testosterone and estrogen) that influence somatotype (mesomorphs get the most testosterone, endos the most estrogen) also influence the personality types (the ETs, and especially the Sensing ones, usually come across as the most masculine of the types). I think the sex hormones may have been what was on the creators' minds when they mapped out the somatotype numbers. The most "feminine" MBTI types (the Introverted Feelers) get put in the Endomorph corner and the masculine types in the Meso-corner. The in-betweens, the Introverted Thinkers, get the somatotype that appears moderately masculine.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really, really love this typology system.

You're basically claiming that fat people are all naturally introverted feelers and their primary strength should be to go back to their room and cry and stuff another jelly doughnut down their gullet.

Simply epic.

G

garbage

So, uh

Has anyone pointed out that this could be a valid categorization system if he interprets the dichotomies' definitions differently in his system?

And that MBTI, Jungian typology, Keirsey, and Socionics* also all use the same category and dichotomy names but have differing interpretations of their meaning?

So.. one could be a particular MBTI type but be a different type under this system. ... .. ....?

*aside from the subtle nuances in Socionics

KDude

No, his typology is a trainwreck. For one, it associates Fi dom with feminity and obesity to begin with. This is equivalent to a house with a foundation sculpted from a mound of shit. It seems that there was barely any thought put into it, so there isn't much reason to try to make it correlate with other systems.

Chloe

So, uh

Has anyone pointed out that this could be a valid categorization system if he interprets the dichotomies' definitions differently in his system?

And that MBTI, Jungian typology, Keirsey, and Socionics* also all use the same category and dichotomy names but have differing interpretations of their meaning?

So.. one could be a particular MBTI type but be a different type under this system. ... .. ....?

*aside from the subtle nuances in Socionics

Haha, very good point!
That way we can all be right when we type people, one can say that Katty Perry is INTJ others ESTP... and we are all right. :smile: Isnt that great? ! jk

Also.. I always thought that at some point, people should reach level when they have their own categories about other people, no need for MBTI, simply, you have wider deeper categories and more types, many wise people DO live like that and refuse to think in MBTI terms..which is next step in development, i think, but it's not denying mbti.