• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

KDude

Any system that tells people that they must be the wrong type because they don't fit a specific body type goes against the whole concept of MBTI being a self typed system based on understanding self and MBTI. This is stepping into astrology territory!

Besides the personal understanding aspects, there are social ones too! I don't think INTPs would accept me as one of their own. Since I've somehow, instinctually, unknowingly applied all of my intuitive, critical thinking skills into the realm of sensory and feeling areas in my life. I've INTP'ed myself into transforming as an ISFP! And brilliance like that just can not be appreciated.

Someone guide me back to my "true self". I want the happiness of knowing my true somatotype and the fellowship of my true types, the INTPs. I am John just playing the part of Paul.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6G7MkBMVxE]Get Back[/youtube]

It makes you wonder why John would ever want to do that though. What happened to me to unconsciously achieve this? :thinking:

Psychdigg

Walking Tourist:

Families can have all sorts of body types.
Walking Tourist:

People in families tend to have similar body shapes, seeing that they share the same genes. They don't necessarily share the same personality. There are a lot of clashing personalities in families so...?

It is not necessarily true that members of a family have similar body types. They can have different body types and because of that they have different personalities.

I'm a 4.5,4,3.5 ENFP
Wife a 5,1.5,5 ISFP
Oldest Daughter 4,2.5,5 INTP
Oldest Son 4,4,4.5 ENTP
Youngest Daughter 5,2,3.5 INFP
Youngest Son 5,4,2 INFJ

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Any system that tells people that they must be the wrong type because they don't fit a specific body type goes against the whole concept of MBTI being a self typed system based on understanding self and MBTI. This is stepping into astrology territory!

I think it was worth the learning experience. People get challenged, people start thinking for themselves. It's nice to hear outside ideas, even when they seem remarkably unfounded.

It seems to me that typing a personality by somatotype is about as accurate as saying that someone is pale because they don't like going outside. While that may be a factor, there may be others -- the person may not tan very well, may live in an unsunny climate or may be anemic, etc. And of course not all people who are not pale like going outside, either...

This is one of the issues I have with Socionics theory that bases personality type on facial features. There's a minor correlation, perhaps, but you can't really derive much from it. There will be a few people who fit solidly within the body/face shape cliche, but the bulk of people typically will not; variety will abound.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
This is one of the issues I have with Socionics theory that bases personality type on facial features. There's a minor correlation, perhaps, but you can't really derive much from it. There will be a few people who fit solidly within the body/face shape cliche, but the bulk of people typically will not; variety will abound.

Yeah well that's basically how VI-ing is approached. If someone strongly fits the typical visual appearance of a given type, that will be treated as a strong clue that he's actually of that type, provided that he doesn't possess completely conflicting traits. If he possesses a large percentage of non-physical traits connected to a given type, VI will likely be disregarded.

Psychdigg

KDude:

Ectomorphs (thinking types) are typically the ones who have the greatest difficulty adjusting to a new identity. Ectomorphs are preoccupied with themselves and tend to be egocentric and are very high in autonomy. They make an idol out of their chosen persona. They want to do everything themselves. There is this obsession with designing their personality the way they imagine it to be. The consequence is that they often are furthest from reality. Psychiatrist have recognized that schizophrenics lean toward ectomorphy.

If you find that your body is completely different from your "imagined" temperament you should probably consider it a gift. It means you have inadvertently done the work of individuation that Jung felt led to an integration of all your functions. However, all maladaptations have a price in wasted time and physical symptoms. Eventually, it is better to understand who you really are at your core.

What is your core? Is it your brain? Or is it the way the whole body is constituted.

Jaguar

If you find that your body is completely different from your "imagined" temperament you should probably consider it a gift. It means you have inadvertently done the work of individuation that Jung felt led to an integration of all your functions.

I consider it a gift. I've done my work of individuation. Great, I don't need to be somato-potato-tomato-sized. :bananallama::bananallama::bananallama:

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
KDude:

Ectomorphs (thinking types) are typically the ones who have the greatest difficulty adjusting to a new identity. Ectomorphs are preoccupied with themselves and tend to be egocentric and are very high in autonomy. They make an idol out of their chosen persona. They want to do everything themselves. There is this obsession with designing their personality the way they imagine it to be. The consequence is that they often are furthest from reality.

Wow, you totally just described a Fi-dom (IxFP) enneagram 4 (albeit, not the most healthy one). That means KDude may just be perfectly correct about his own type, as am I :harhar:

Psychdigg

Halfjillhalfjack:

Once again I have to begin this with a disclaimer. I can't know your actual somatotype without a proper somatotype photo. In some cases weight and height and age can come quite close. In your case:

You could be a Endo 5.5 Meso 3 Ecto 1.5 Balance 4.0

This would put you in the INFJ territory.

Your boyfriends situation is a little more ambiguous because his weight could be either from mesomorphy in which case he would be an ESFP or his weight could be from endomorphy which would be ENFP.

Chloe

psychdig :

what am i - meso or endo?

at my most healthy and natural state:
Female
5'6"5
128lbs
38 - 26 - 37

my weight fluctates a lot.. so i am unsure am i meso or endo? i gain it equally everywhere. i gain muscules very easily, but also fat easily, but i gain significantly more muscules than most females.
i also have hypothyreosis - endocrine metabolic diease so my easy-to-gain metabolism is probably caused by that too because it's major symptom of that disease.

Psychdigg

Chloee:

You are a midrange body-type. Without a proper photo you could be one of two types.

Most likely: Endo: 4.5 Meso 2.5 Ecto 5.0 Balance 5.5
Weight Pattern: 123@20 133@30 140@40 143@50
This would put you in the INTP bordering on ENTP

The rarer type would make you a 4.5 or 5.0 Meso. In that case you would be extremely active in some sport. It would also put you right between ENTJ & ESTJ

Psychdigg

Haphazzard:

The only thing I have is your height and a weight of 155. That's not enough to go on. I need to have a couple weights. If you are over 30 I need your maximum weight at 20 and 30. If you are 25 I need maximum weight at 20 and at your current age. Always need current age. If you participate actively in some sport AND especially if you excel at it that can be helpful because without a somatotype photo it helps to establish whether your weight is more in the abdomen or in muscle.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazzard:

The only thing I have is your height and a weight of 155. That's not enough to go on. I need to have a couple weights. If you are over 30 I need your maximum weight at 20 and 30. If you are 25 I need maximum weight at 20 and at your current age. Always need current age. If you participate actively in some sport AND especially if you excel at it that can be helpful because without a somatotype photo it helps to establish whether your weight is more in the abdomen or in muscle.

I'm 18 and walk long distances, though do not participate in any sport. My legs are, and have always been, quite muscular, though the other parts of my body have never been. As I said, 41, 31, 43, which should give some indication as to what's fat and what's not. I did have some weight gain that I lost, though that was due to hormonal treatments so that wouldn't count.

Chloe

Chloee:

You are a midrange body-type. Without a proper photo you could be one of two types.

Most likely: Endo: 4.5 Meso 2.5 Ecto 5.0 Balance 5.5
Weight Pattern: 123@20 133@30 140@40 143@50
This would put you in the INTP bordering on ENTP

The rarer type would make you a 4.5 or 5.0 Meso. In that case you would be extremely active in some sport. It would also put you right between ENTJ & ESTJ

thanks......i'll maybe post photo tomorrow
.but I dont get it, how can I be more ecto than endo, if i said i gain weight pretty easily

and why is my personality affected with endocrine illness?

Psychdigg

Chloee: 5'6" inches is tall for a woman. That's about equal to 6 feet for a man. Because of sexual dimorphism men are about 4 or 5 inches taller than women. Ectomorphy is pretty much how tall a person is for what they have to carry in the way of fat and muscle. The reason I ask if you are active in sports is to see how much of your weight is an expression of mesomorphy. So you are both Endo and Ecto but you have enough meso to move you toward the middle. If you were less meso you would be more intp or possibly bumping up against the infp area. People have a real struggle visualizing in three dimensions. Mesomorphic/Ectomorphic men intuitively can figure out their body type because they are also good with visualizing objects in a space.

Re: Endocrine Illness and Personality Changes. Hormones are modulators of mood and emotion. Normally our hormones facilitate and mediate our normal temperament. Our hormones usually give an extra push in the direction we are inclined to go. However diseases can affect these hormones so that they take over our behavior so that a person feels out of their normal control and they probably have surrendered some of their control. Because hormones tell our bodies what to do it's easy to see how we can get mixed messages about our true state. Any expert will know that I'm not an expert on this. But, every so often I am asked about this and I defer to the endocrinologists who know how to manage these conditions.

Psychdigg

Haphazard:

Your somatotype is probably Endo 6.5 Meso 2.5 Ecto 3.0 Balance 4
Your weight curve 155@20 181@30 199@40 205@50 Try not to let your weight get much over 168. If you pass into the 170's it's time to diet and exercise. Eat fish, chicken, Soup (without the matzah balls) green vegetables, and stay away from pasta,grains, sweets. As to your temperament you are probably borderline between ISFP and INFP. The thing that would make you ENFJ is more mesomorphy and less endomorphy. Also as an ENFJ you would weigh about 35 pounds less. And that may be the case but I can't tell in your situation without a serious somatotype picture. For now at least think about the possibility of INFP and ISFP.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah, I'm most definitely not an ISFP or INFP.

Any other guesses?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazard:

Your somatotype is probably Endo 6.5 Meso 2.5 Ecto 3.0 Balance 4
Your weight curve 155@20 181@30 199@40 205@50 Try not to let your weight get much over 168. If you pass into the 170's it's time to diet and exercise. Eat fish, chicken, Soup (without the matzah balls) green vegetables, and stay away from pasta,grains, sweets. As to your temperament you are probably borderline between ISFP and INFP. The thing that would make you ENFJ is more mesomorphy and less endomorphy. Also as an ENFJ you would weigh about 35 pounds less. And that may be the case but I can't tell in your situation without a serious somatotype picture. For now at least think about the possibility of INFP and ISFP.

ENFJ is a joke.

Try IxTx.

I've been told I have an ISTP face, but then I've been told that I'm far too future-thinking to be an ISTP.

Psychdigg

Haphazzard:

Yours is an interesting situation because you are very endomorphic and even though your ectomorphy is higher than your mesomorphy their combined total is still less than your endomorphy. This may mean that you are ISFJ bordering INFJ.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Haphazzard:

Yours is an interesting situation because you are very endomorphic and even though your ectomorphy is higher than your mesomorphy their combined total is still less than your endomorphy. This may mean that you are ISFJ bordering INFJ.

Still no T?