• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

Psychdigg

KDude:

I am a little reluctant to make assessments with so little information. There are a couple types of bodies that are your height and weight. One is in the area of NBA basketball players. You ought to know if you are that athletic type or not. If you are then you definitely are not an ISFP.

The other areas are in the endomorphic ectomorphic area. This means that you would primarily be ectomorphic with a slight leaning toward endomorphy.

To be an ISFP at your height would mean your weight would tend to be 40 more pounds than you are right now.

My best guess is that you are 4.0 endo 3.5 meso 6.0 ecto. That would put you in INTP territory.

Kdude: Marlon Brando was:

Endo 5.5 Meso 4 Ecto 2.5

This would make him INFJ

Lady X:

The personality depends on the rank order of they systems.

An ENFP is very close to the middle and is therefore orientational dominant. They want to orient themselves by understanding their relationship to everything else.

Secondly ENFP is higher in endomorphy. Endomorphy in the second position stops the action which leads them to do nothing to bring about change.

Last edited by a moderator:

KDude

Jokes aside, I may send you a pic, just out of curiosity. I've considered INTP/ENTP before tbh.

On another note, what, in your opinion, are examples of INFP and INTP males? You don't have examples in the first post. You just have Alicia Keys there as an INFP.. she's not exactly endo is she? It just looks like she has female specific hips. You're saying that's an introverted-Fi thing? :confused:

I've always liked sports, but never took it extremely seriously. I wouldn't say I'm naturally athletic per se. One thing I notice about true ectomorphs, who may not even exercise much, is that they're still a bit cut.. you might see more signs of a 6 pack or their pectoral definition easier. Me, I'm more like tall, thin, but not noticably defined (my body fat % may be about 12 right now, not sure).

G

garbage

"Nobody wants to take pictures of their body in a certain fashion, then send them to some guy over the internet so he can assess them according to a formulation of personality that doesn'tseem to really make a lot of sense anyway"

I mean, I'm not accusing you of being a pervert or anything, and I think the end results of an experiment like that would be interesting, but there's a reason why you're not getting volunteers for this experiment. Aaand it's not because people are prejudiced or hate science.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Yeah, I'm wondering what you think of people with body dysmorphic disorders?

Psychdigg

Mister Eyebrows:

I'm realistic about this. I get quite a few people sending me pictures. And they are of all types. If I were interested in "sexy" pictures there is an endless supply of that. Do you know how boring it is to look at bodies for the purpose of somatotyping?

Males are usually more open with showing their bodies than females. But suppose you are a female with a slamming body. You are probably using that body to get looks all the time.

It's really interesting to somatotype movie stars. They live off of exposure. But that exposure let's me see the real person. And I finding it very amusing when I see the persona these public figures try to portray personally and through their publicists. And more amusing than anything are the feeble attempts to classify types through the filter of personal prejudice and preference. Johnny Depp is an INFP to INFP's. ESFP to ESFP's
ESTJ to ESTJ's.

This is an extremely powerful tool. Jury selection is one application where this could be used and abused. Type casting for movies and plays. Choice of political candidates by nominating committees. Selection of CEO's. Stacking corporate boards. Intelligence agencies.

Unfortunately, this is the kind of information you can only obtain by exposing yourself but only about as much as you would on any public beach.

Psychdigg

Haphazzard:

This does create problems. You can be ecto from the waist up and endo from the waist down. There is also the issue of scoliosis because it can distort a person's true height. And there is gyandromorphy. All of these things can require adjustments to an assessment. But fortunately 99% of the people don't have those issues. Unfortunately, those who have those issues really have their plates full.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I did not mean that, I meant the psychological conditions in which people hate their bodies, or cannot feel connections with their bodies, are completely uncomfortable living within their bodies, etc. In this case, what is simply a 'facet of their personality' causes them unimaginable pain as they cannot integrate their bodies as parts of themselves.

Psychdigg

Haphazzard:

OK. I wasn't familiar with that term as applied to the condition you described.

It appears to be related to OCD type problems.

People can get into that state with just about anything. Knowing one's somatotype isn't a solution for that kind of problem. Unless they can get real philosophical and realize that whatever their appearance may be they can only do a finite number of things to change that. But people with these types of disorders know that they are being irrational and they maintain their inappropriate feelings out of habit.

Mole

Permabanned
Train Spotting or Eugenics

Somatic typing could be as harmless as train spotting or as harmful as eugenics.

Psychdigg

Kdude:

Alicia Keys is 5 endo 2.5 meso and 4.5 ecto She is an ectomorphic endomorph and will get up to 150 pounds by the time she is 50.

Endo-Ectos and Ecto-Endos seem to be the most dysplastic of the somatotypes. In other words they look like they were put together with spare parts. They tend to be very thin when they are young with little indication of what their bodies will look like in the future. It seems that the body puts a lot of its resources in achieving maximum height. Later after the body reaches its maximum height it starts packing on the fat which, depending on diet, could be an endless process leading toward obesity.

Kdue:

I looked at the pictures. Most likely you are about Endo 5 Meso 2.5 Ecto 6

This would put you in the INTP area but close to the outer reaches of ISFP and also close to ISTP. Since personality in reality is on a continuous scale of variation you might consider yourself some of all three though mostly INTP.

The problem with Jungian typology is clearly the dichotomous categories. You are either/or. On a test with just a few questions that have to go through your personal semantic filters you can slip into a type that is similar but not quite right. Written tests are based on how "ordinary" people perceive the meaning of a question. What is ordinary. What is ordinary even for the same person depending on how they feel or the current circumstances.

This is why I prefer something objective like somatotype. Everyone can be somatotyped very accurately if they provide the correct information.

There are cases where a person's temperament seems completely out of synchrony with their body type but knowing their personal history of trauma it appears quite maladaptive. In those cases there is some dissociative effects and somatotype can be therapeutic in anchoring one's natural personality.

Kdude:

I looked at your pictures and you seem to be Endo 5 Meso 2.5 and Ecto 6

This would put you in the INTP area. However you are close to the outer reaches of ISFP. You are also quite close to ISTP. So you may be an INTP but can't rule out some influences from ISFP and ISTP.

This brings to the fore the problem with the dichotomous nature of Jungian categories - everything is either/or. In a test that is supposed to rate you on each of the categories with only a few questions it is very easy to pop over to the opposite side. In reality all of the personalities involve continuous variation on the scales so that in rank order a person could be TFNS or SNFT for a total of 24 permutations. Graphs of each function follow the normal bell curve indicating that most people are not either/or but are in the middle.

Once in a while a person's temperament may be extremely different from what their somatotype indicates. But when you know their personal history the maladaptive nature of their personality is obvious. These are cases where there may be MPD or dissociative tendencies. Somatotype can be therapeutic in these situations because it can provide an anchor for the person to sort out their natural identiy.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Protip: you can respond to many posts in the same response. Using multiquote will help keep track of who you're responding to. It's the little quotation mark/plus sign next to "Quote" at the bottom of each post. Just click that on each post you want to respond to and then click "Quote" on the last one.

Psychdigg

Good-Bye everyone. I am an old man with some priceless information. I am quite content to die without sharing it.

I received this notice:

[reminder: quoting PMs is also against the rulez here. you are welcome to say you got a warning and what it was for. -admin]

Last edited by a moderator:
G

garbage

Good-Bye everyone. I am an old man with some priceless information. I am quite content to die without sharing it.

isn't the entire point of your warning that you shared your information way too much?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I kind of liked having him around! A picture and some descriptions about how I gain/lose weight and he easily marked me as

ENXJ...slightly more ENFJ (which is exactly WHAT I AM...just check out the video challeng! hahaha :D)

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I kind of liked having him around! A picture and some descriptions about how I gain/lose weight and he easily marked me as

ENXJ...slightly more ENFJ (which is exactly WHAT I AM...just check out the video challeng! hahaha :D)

I liked him around too, I don't particular believe in his system but I must admit that I was interested in it and I wanted to research a bit. Of course, all he was doing WAS advertising though. All of his posts are in this thread.

Off topic: Why did he switch from INTJ to ENFP? System isn't impeccable? Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cascadeco:

First of all I must explain something. There is absolutely no substitute for an assessment made using a photo that reveals the shape of a persons body - and I don't mean a nude picture. A bikini picture is quite sufficient because it allows measurements of various areas of the trunk. (My web site describes the kind of photo required).

My assessment of you was based on casual fully clothed pictures on your personal information section. Now that you have informed me of your weight pattern and actual height my assessment is necessarily different. Most significant is the fact that you haven't gained much weight from age 20-30.

So it would now appear you are closer to a:

2 endomorphy,
3 mesomorphy,
6 ectomorphy

This somatotype is on the border of INTJ and ISTJ but leaning toward the INTJ direction.

So you may want to try that on for size. Again it takes very little to push a person over from F to T the way the myers-briggs is constructed with its dichotomous scales. But your body type is quite a ways from the INFJ. And your biting, skeptical, confrontational and almost cynical comments are more like the edgy thinking type than the oceanic go with the flow feeling type.

Oh, AWESOME. Yes indeed, all F's are go-with-the flow who are skeptical of nothing. ;) This post has made my day. :rofl1: And the ecto figures are basically what I said in my first post, which you dismissed because I couldn't *possibly* have these figures and yet be INFJ at the same time.

Seriously, you guys who are giving credence to this theory? :confused: I mean, I can grant that ones level of *fitness* reflects ones activity level and whether or not one prioritizes that (so a certain element of personality), but actual body type/proportions - bone structure, muscle mass, height, metabolism, and whatnot - has nothing to do with ones *mbti*. Correlating body type with mbti seems ridiculous. Obviously you're going to have a portion of the population whose somototype happens to line up with the charts psychtigg is advertising, but you're going to have another half of the population who does not. It makes very little sense to me. And the solution is NOT that half the population is mistyped and that OrangeAppled is in fact ISTJ and KDude can't possibly be ISFP, solely because of how their body is constructed. Or that the existence of an endomorphic T is an impossibility. Yay for 'science'.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
isn't the entire point of your warning that you shared your information way too much?

and that priceless information shouldn't come with a price...

hey psychdigg i liked having you around too though, this stuff is interesting to discuss

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Of course, all he was doing WAS advertising though. All of his posts are in this thread.

Yup, there it is.
He wasn't here to be a member of this site, he was just here to promote his site.
And once he got told there were restrictions on that, he pouted and left.

Doesn't mean some of it wasn't interesting, just that he was only really interested in doing infommercial advertising and didn't want to invest his time if he couldn't get you to his site.