• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

Psychdigg

Serge:

You might be a 5.5 endo 3 meso 5 ecto

Weight 205@20 225@30 241@40 247@50

You are in INFP territory. It could be that your ambivalence about T & F is really about P & J

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
This chart is meaningless if you don't know a person's body type. But if you know a person's somatotype it can give you an accurate assessment of a person's temperament.

wp8539a40f_05.jpg

This. Is. Going. To. Take. Some time studying... :shock:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Quinlan

Read my previous post again. I added some things in editing that might make it clearer.

Very interesting thank you. When I first found out about MBTI I thought I was INFJ, then decided ISFP which seemed like a happy medium between Ni and Se.

What I still don't understand is if I'm more endo than meso how does that put me in the ESFP (more on the meso side) area of the chart rather than INFJ (more on the endo side)?

KDude

Lol ISFP are women :smile:

OK shoot.. I'm 6'5" 180 lbs - Age 33.. Possibly about 185-90 at 20

I took off the pic I had here, but if that tells you anything, I'd find it interesting at least.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm really only interested about the "171" figure - but I doubt it's subjected to the given personality types for ESxJ as with this chart. It's the rarest of the somatotypes, in case you hadn't figured, and the ESxJs are amongst the most common folks in the populous.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cascadeco:

Guessing you are about 65 inches tall and under 120. You look to be average endomorphy 4. About 2 mesomorphy. 4.5 ectomorphy

Although you could easily be INFJ you might find some of the INFP applies also.

Would need to know Height and weight for sure at age 20 and then 30

66.5 inches tall, 112 pounds. Same weight at age 20 as at 30. Hasn't really fluctuated at all beyond a pound or two, give or take, over the years. I put on muscle very easily for my slight frame. I'm pretty toned, hard body overall. Although in pre-teen and teen years I was a skinny, stick-like, non-curvy waif, super high metabolism. Now I'm somewhat of an hourglass figure, but a very small-boned frame of one, with little body fat. On the body quiz, I got 2.5 - between Ecto and Meso.

Basically, my body type/shape is nothing like that of the celebrities listed in the entire IxFx section of the chart, nor have I ever had the traits described under Endo body types. As a child/teen I think I was probably a 127 or thereabouts, and once I reached full maturity (20's) I became more of a 235 or something. I find your guesswork rather amusing, as well as telling me I should consider INFP as my true personality type. :rolleyes: All under the belief that this chart actually reflects reality, which, well.. seems quite ridiculous. Sure, some people will fit quite nicely within their supposed somatotype; others will not.

Psychdigg

Quinlan:

Listen here! I'm the expert. But you are absolutely correct. And I stand corrected. Do you want to buy a theory real cheap.

Actually you are just barely on the infj side of the border from ESFP. So it would be more correct to say you are more infj with some esfp influences.

Thanks for straightening me out. I have a rule of thumb for cases like this that I usually use that says you have to yield to the dominant as the default. My bad.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think it's interesting that my body type is at least somewhat in the ballpark of my personality type, but what about male ISFPs like KDude who are ectomorphs? I mean, I think body type might have some influence on personality, but overall, not really. Someone doesn't become a T type just because they're an ectomorph. Give me a break.

Psychdigg

Cascadeco:

First of all I must explain something. There is absolutely no substitute for an assessment made using a photo that reveals the shape of a persons body - and I don't mean a nude picture. A bikini picture is quite sufficient because it allows measurements of various areas of the trunk. (My web site describes the kind of photo required).

My assessment of you was based on casual fully clothed pictures on your personal information section. Now that you have informed me of your weight pattern and actual height my assessment is necessarily different. Most significant is the fact that you haven't gained much weight from age 20-30.

So it would now appear you are closer to a:

2 endomorphy,
3 mesomorphy,
6 ectomorphy

This somatotype is on the border of INTJ and ISTJ but leaning toward the INTJ direction.

So you may want to try that on for size. Again it takes very little to push a person over from F to T the way the myers-briggs is constructed with its dichotomous scales. But your body type is quite a ways from the INFJ. And your biting, skeptical, confrontational and almost cynical comments are more like the edgy thinking type than the oceanic go with the flow feeling type.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am 5'7
41 years old.
I weigh about 150 lbs soaking wet.
This is about 10 lbs less than I was 20 years old.
I do not work out.
I don't drive, So I walk and I used to cycle a lot , but I am bikeless at the moment,
I work on my feet.
I also have a diet pretty high in fat.

Yet my Body fat is Nil. and I am toned.

According to your chart I am an ISTJ or something.. Highly unlikely!

Here is a pic for you to analyze.
sdc10996e.jpg

Psychdigg

Arclight:

I appreciate the photo. It's not the ideal photo because your arm covers up where your anatomical waist should be. The photo is primarily to determine the Trunk Index which is calculated by dividing the area of the throracic trunk by the area of the abdominal trunk. Also, I need to know where the torso ends at the bottom (crotch or if it is a dorsal photo the sub-gluteal folds (or bottom edge of the butt).

Anyhow you appear to be a :

Endomorphy: 4.5
Mesomorphy: 3.0
Ectomorphy: 2.5

This would place you in INFJ territory but toward INFP so you are probably an INFJ with some INFP characteristics mixed in.

Now it is possible you may be a little bit different maybe a half degree endo either way or half a degree more mesomorphic. What is interesting is that you got up to 160 by the time you were 20 and then you actually lost weight as you got older. Did you eat a lot of carbs (chips, bread, junk) when you were a kid? You are certainly keeping your endomorphy in check.

Psychdigg

Here is an example of a properly posed somatotype photo. It has been edited with a tracing feature that removes anything that might be identified as prurient.

wpcb0ded9c_05.jpg

Notice the full torso is visible. Gotta see the bottom of the butt to do this right. The white strip patches are band-aids that are placed to identify

1. the bottom of the ribs (top edge of band aid should be in line with the bottom of the rib cage).

2. the top of the pelvis (bottom edge of band aid should be in line with the top of the pelvis - also called the "illiac crest".

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Arclight:

I appreciate the photo. It's not the ideal photo because your arm covers up where your anatomical waist should be. The photo is primarily to determine the Trunk Index which is calculated by dividing the area of the throracic trunk by the area of the abdominal trunk. Also, I need to know where the torso ends at the bottom (crotch or if it is a dorsal photo the sub-gluteal folds (or bottom edge of the butt).

Anyhow you appear to be a :

Endomorphy: 4.5
Mesomorphy: 3.0
Ectomorphy: 2.5

This would place you in INFJ territory but toward INFP so you are probably an INFJ with some INFP characteristics mixed in.

Now it is possible you may be a little bit different maybe a half degree endo either way or half a degree more mesomorphic. What is interesting is that you got up to 160 by the time you were 20 and then you actually lost weight as you got older. Did you eat a lot of carbs (chips, bread, junk) when you were a kid? You are certainly keeping your endomorphy in check.

No I had a little heroin problem in my early 20's and got down to about 125lbs before I smartened up.. I bulked back up but I never had to worry about my weight ever again.

I have the high carb diet now.. I live off of avocados, falafel pita sandwiches , french fries and Pop

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
FDG:

On my web site I give some brief descriptions (very brief) using the functions of the four basic systems.

People are doers (mesomorphs), thinkers (ectomorphs), feelers (Endomorphs) , and seers (Equimorphs or balanced body types)

So as a midrange type you are primarily searching (a seer or searcher). You want change.

The second system in the hierarchy defines your modus operandi or the method you use to get what you want.

Muscles as represented by mesomorphy and are concerned with action. So you work for change or you take action to bring about change.

Midrange Ectomorphs "plan change" and get bogged down in analysis. Midrange Endomorphs wish for change and try to position themselves where change will just automatically happen.

If you want to really sink your teeth into somatotype here are a couple links to an author (not me) who put a couple of his books on line for free - hundreds of pages.

Tracking the Elusive Human, Vol. 1
Tracking the Elusive Human, Vol. 2

He died last year but his widow keeps his stuff on line.

And there is my web-site in my signature below.

Thanks. I did read "Tracking the Elusive Mind" before, but I found it too obscure. Your website is much clearer.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm definitely INFP & definitely an ectomorph...5'8, US size 2, small frame for my height - thin, basically. No matter what I eat or do or don't do, I am thin. Although, if I eat very well & work out (ie. yoga, bike riding & strength training), I will gain like 5 lbs, but stay the same size (lose fat, gain muscle). I actually gain muscle easier than fat & have rather broad shoulders, which lands me around the IxTJ territory I guess.

It's funny, because this all applies to me:

* self-conscious
* preference for privacy
* introverted
* inhibited
* socially anxious
* artistic
* mentally intense
* emotionally restrained

:D

I really don't think body type is related to personality though. I think this plays on a lot of stereotypes. I notice the feeling types are supposed to be fatter :rolli: .

Last edited:

Psychdigg

Mace:

Extreme Ectomorphy is rarer than extreme Mesomorphy.

As to the percentages of each type in the general population/ I have never been able to nail down the source and method of determining the alleged percentages.

There are too many problems with the mbti to even think that taking the test really establishes the type it claims. And then to jump to the next level and say something about the number of each type in the population....

Type is just a way to cut up the pie. You can cut a pie into as many pieces as you want depending how large you want the serving to be.

Psychdigg

Orange Appled:

You said:
I really don't think body type is related to personality though. I think this plays on a lot of stereotypes. I notice the feeling types are supposed to be fatter.

Sheldon’s somatotype theory both identifies and measures the big systems of the human body. He spent a lifetime looking directly at what is hiding in plain sight. He classifies the very thing we overlook and take for granted - the human body. Look at the connection endomorphy, mesomorphy and ectomorphy have with the big functions of a living organism.

Endomorphy = Visceral System. An animal needs to eat. There is no life at all without the “big” tube (intestines). Living things must have a metabolism or there is nothing.

Mesomorphy = Muscular System. An animal needs to move. It needs to move toward food and away from danger.

Ectomorphy = Nervous System. An animal needs coordinated and rapid movement to capture food and escape danger. The nervous system is an emergency system. It records routines and strategies that can be quickly initiated when needed. It deals with things that suddenly come into view.

It shouldn’t be too hard to imagine that if a person is structured with an emphasis on the gut, this will have the effect of conditioning a person to be interested in food, and the comfort of feeling full and a desire to arrange a comfortable and relaxing environment conducive to carrying out the work of digestion. If a person is structured with a strong muscular body, wouldn’t you expect that those muscles would want to move and facilitate activity and gain proficiency at dominating their world? A stretched out, lean ectomorph, with a high surface to volume ratio could be expected to be vigilant about protecting that boundary/surface area.

Psychdigg

In case anyone is curious I'm

endo: 4.5
meso: 4.0
ecto: 3.5

That put's me in the ENFP area but closer to the ENFJ area than to INFP or INTJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
Psychdigg,

could you also help me with my somatotype and my bf's (and the corresponding mbti-relation, because I find the chart somehow difficult to read...)?
unfortunately I am not able to insert picutures....

I
5.15 feet tall (157 centimeters)
134 pounds (50 kg)
27 years old
As I child, I always used to be underweight.... no I guess I'm normal according to this body mass index thingee. I would say I'm pear-shaped, even though I'm not sure (I find my upper part of the body to be pretty lean, in contrast to my thighs). I only gain fat in the lower part of my body, haha. And I have a rather wide (?) pelvis, if that counts.

bf
6.14 feet tall (187 centimeters)
212 pounds (79 kg)
29 years old
He can be very skinny, though he also lost and gained weight since I have known him. Even though I'd call him slim anytime. (If I had to describe him bodywise it would be: tall and slim). He has extremely long arms. rather round shoulders, not wide, but wider than hips. if he gains weight, it is only in the abdominal section. extremely good metabolism, can eat a lot without gaining weight.

don't know if this is enough information and works at all without pictures.

G

garbage

5'8" (172cm)
155lb (70.3 kg)
26 years old

Your score is 2.17.

Your body is closest to a Mesomorph.

So according to this method, I'm probably one of the extroverted sensing types?