• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Outside of psychology and in the realm of health/fitness/kinetics/stuff to do with the body and making it run smoothly there have been. Whole tenants of Ayurvedic medicine are based on body type/personality type relations.

oh yes i actually do like ayurveda a lot :yes:
it's still a little mystical for my T side to handle (i grew up in a hospital, it's super ingrained, haha) but i like the idea of using metabolism. that's like the z factor that plays in between mind and body. plus i kind of like mystical stuff too lol

Psychdigg

Victor:

Did you read what I said about Jung? I'm not a fan of Jung.

If it weren’t for CPS (Consulting Psychologists Press) Jung would have faded out of public
awareness. CPS holds the publishing rights for the MBTI. Although 2 million people take it
each year and there are dozens of discussion boards with endless conversations about the
subtleties of the various types there is no way of being sure that these types are real. People
retake the test and get different results. A large number of dedicated Jungian therapists don’t
find it useful in their practice and there are quite a few therapists that have offered alternative
theories that eliminate the problems of the dichotomous structure of Jung’s type theory. It is hard
to know which function is even taking the test.

W.H. Sheldon, knew Jung from when he worked at his institute in Switzerland. Sheldon
determined that Jung’s somatotype was 4,6,3 . That would make him 4 endomorphy, 6
mesomorphy, 2½ ectomorphy and 5 equimorphy (balance). Translated into a body-type he was
extremely muscular - actually athletic. Combined with 4 in the visceral (gut) component he
would have made a decent NFL line man. His ectomorphy (nervous system) was below average
for most men. In fact his low ectomorphy suggests that his inferior function would be - thinking.
So basically his organismic systems would rank as follows:

Muscular- (Sensation type) 6
Orientaional -(Intuitive) 5
Visceral - (Feeling) 4
Nervous - (Thinking) 2½

Muscular in the first position suggest a desire for raw power and control. Orientational system in
the second position means a person is “searching-scanning” for the means to control. So this is a
person who wants to develop a system for dominating. Nervous being last means he avoids
restriction and boundary.

He was an extreme extravert that was interested in dominance and control of everything in his
environment including people.

Isn't ironic that Jung's personality as indicated by his somatotype is close to the assessment you would make.

As far as touching a nerve. It's my sensitive bs detector. I don't care if the bearer of truth is the devil himself. I am interested in truth. And criticizing a methodology because it is used for evil (Nazi use of anthropometry) is not the measure of a technology. Nazi's used every conceivable technology available to them to do what they wanted to do. A method is neutral.

FDG

A 2,4,4 male is around 68.4 inches tall
Weight pattern: 129 age 20 135 age 30 141 age 40 142 age 50

This type is considered a hard gainer in body building circles

Simple temperament description of 2,4,4 Works for Change. Avoids compromise, intimacy and surrender.

Andy:

About Winston Churchill. He definitely wasn't an ectomorph. His endomorphy was clearly evident in his pot belly and heavy jowls. He was 66.5 inches tall.
I would guess his somatotype at 6, 2.5, 2 That would make him close to the area of an INFJ

Red Herring:

Re: Wikipedia "The majority of scientists today generally consider such theories outdated.[citation needed]

The usual way a theory is outdated is when an attempt to replicate research repeatedly fails. No one has tried to replicate Sheldon's original research where he found .8 correlation between somatotype and a temperament scale he originated.

However, others have somatotyped populations and administered personality tests where the correlations were significant although low (.3 to .6).

The main reason others didn't try to replicate his research is because of Sheldon's use of nude photographs to determine somatotype.

Even though nude photographs are no longer needed to determine somatotype very few people know that and graduate students tend to avoid tainted areas of research for fear it will affect their career.

Cascadeco:

Guessing you are about 65 inches tall and under 120. You look to be average endomorphy 4. About 2 mesomorphy. 4.5 ectomorphy

Although you could easily be INFJ you might find some of the INFP applies also.

Would need to know Height and weight for sure at age 20 and then 30

INA: Half endo and half ecto would mean a tall person who can fatten up somewhat and also is under a 3 in Mesomorphy.

Babylon Candle:

A 5 in mesomorphy is quite athletic. If you aren't real athletic you are probably a 4 in mesomorphy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm pretty sure I'm a mesomorph, with some mild endomorphic traits maybe? But I've always had muscular legs, my shoulders are a bit broad for a female, and I'm not pear shaped. I'm, um, chesty. When I gain weight, I'm more of the upside-down triangle or an apple.

Psychdigg

Your Local Jesus:

Probably around 6 endo 4.5 meso 3 ecto

INTJ is the right area. You may also have some INFJ aspects to your personality.

Psychdigg

Sand Paper:

You sound like an endomorphic ectomorph.

Endo = 4.5 to 5.0
Meso = 1.5 to 2.0
Ecto = 5.5 to 6.0

If you weigh in the 120's (pounds) you are about 1.5 meso
If you weigh in the 130's you are about 2.0 meso

Your temperament is probably at the outer reaches of INFP and approaching an ISFP.

Psychdigg

Quinlan: Need a little more info.

Are you M or F. What's your height and weight at 20,30

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I notice that being a mesomorph with a leaning toward endomorph would make me more of an ESFP or ENFJ, which are strangely enough two types I've considered other than ENFP. I've also had ENFJ come up as the type of my facial structure.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'll play.

Male
6'4 (76 inches)
204 pounds

Obviously tall, long arms with shorter legs, broad shoulders.

Edit: It'd be helpful if we could derive these numbers ourselves without looking at comparison pictures. It's more fun that way ^^

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Andy:

About Winston Churchill. He definitely wasn't an ectomorph. His endomorphy was clearly evident in his pot belly and heavy jowls. He was 66.5 inches tall.
I would guess his somatotype at 6, 2.5, 2 That would make him close to the area of an INFJ

Yeah, sorry, that was what I ment. I got the words mixed up, as I often do. Either way, though, he behaved like a mesomorph.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I notice that being a mesomorph with a leaning toward endomorph would make me more of an ESFP or ENFJ, which are strangely enough two types I've considered other than ENFP. I've also had ENFJ come up as the type of my facial structure.

Ehm. Based on your bottom-pics, I would exclude that you're an endomorph?

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
FDG

A 2,4,4 male is around 68.4 inches tall
Weight pattern: 129 age 20 135 age 30 141 age 40 142 age 50

This type is considered a hard gainer in body building circles

Simple temperament description of 2,4,4 Works for Change. Avoids compromise, intimacy and surrender.

I'm 5'9'' and 130, although I don't think I'm a real hard gainer - I'm somewhat "average"; I reckon Brad Pitt was listed as 244, my body-type is similar to his.
Uhm and I'm sorry but...I didn't get the simple description :doh: perhaps language issues? What does "Works for change" mean?

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
I don't even need to do a test to find that I've got an Ectomorphic body type. But I'm an INFP so how can this be accurate?`Where's the test?

Psychdigg

FDG:

On my web site I give some brief descriptions (very brief) using the functions of the four basic systems.

People are doers (mesomorphs), thinkers (ectomorphs), feelers (Endomorphs) , and seers (Equimorphs or balanced body types)

So as a midrange type you are primarily searching (a seer or searcher). You want change.

The second system in the hierarchy defines your modus operandi or the method you use to get what you want.

Muscles as represented by mesomorphy and are concerned with action. So you work for change or you take action to bring about change.

Midrange Ectomorphs "plan change" and get bogged down in analysis. Midrange Endomorphs wish for change and try to position themselves where change will just automatically happen.

If you want to really sink your teeth into somatotype here are a couple links to an author (not me) who put a couple of his books on line for free - hundreds of pages.

Tracking the Elusive Human, Vol. 1
Tracking the Elusive Human, Vol. 2

He died last year but his widow keeps his stuff on line.

And there is my web-site in my signature below.

Psychdigg

Angell M:

INFP's usually are higher in both endomorphy and ectomorphy with mesomorphy lower than either.
For example 5,2,4 or 4,1.5,4

So tell me your height and weight age 20 and 30 (if you are that old).

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ehm. Based on your bottom-pics, I would exclude that you're an endomorph?

Yeah I'm pretty mesomorphic - and I fit the mesomorphic personality description. When I'm in ideal shape I'm pretty firm and have decent muscle tone.

But because of being female, and because I have naturally large breasts, I would say that I am leaning towards endomorph and softness. I have softness to my body, and I have put on extra weight before (though it's gone now).

Psychdigg

Quinlan:

You're probably 5 endomorphy 4.5 mesomorphy 2.5 ectomorphy

Weight 170@20 193@30 209@40 222@50

You are Extraverted but not extremely. In fact you are close enough to the INFJ area to be a little distracted by being over analytical about your relationships. But you definitely are in the ESFP area based on your somatotype. You may test out as an ISFP because of INFJ sensitivity.

ISFP is more typically a woman's somatotype area.

This illustrates the problems with MBTI. It's not always accurate. It only takes a few questions that are misunderstood to push someone over from extraversion to introversion. And considering that you are only slightly extraverted it should be easy to see how that could happen. There is quite a difference in the body of an ISFP and an ESFP.

There is a difference between the "S" of an ISFP and the "S" of an ESFP. Jung created a false dichotomy by insisting that a person is either S or N and that they can't be both. The result is that on the test two different factors express themselves as S. You will notice that on the somatotype chart all the peripheral extreme somatotypes are presented as "S". This is because S is supposed to be opposite N which you'll notice is primarily toward the center. But S more correctly is an expression of mesomorphy and is action oriented.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Quinlan:

You're probably 5 endomorphy 4.5 mesomorphy 2.5 ectomorphy

Weight 170@20 193@30 209@40 222@50

You are Extraverted but not extremely. In fact you are close enough to the INFJ area to be a little distracted by being over analytical about your relationships. But you definitely are an ESFP based on your somatotype.

So where does that put me on that chart?

ESFP and INFJ, that's really intriguing.

Psychdigg

Quinlan

Read my previous post again. I added some things in editing that might make it clearer.