• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Somatotype (Body-Type) and Personality

KDude

What about Blob types? They're a little off the charts, don'tcha think?

43586736jl4.jpg

Obviously ISFp, according to socionics. :coffee:

Common social roles
The lazy hedonist with a short attention span who loves to consume movies, music, shows, food, and drink and sees no reason to strain himself in life.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know this system as well as the Ayurvedic types, and they allow for mixed types, which I am (Kapha/Pitta).

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
from the source of truthiness:

"Sheldon's theories had popularity through the 1950s, influencing Abraham Maslow, Aldous Huxley, and Robert S de Ropp.The majority of scientists today generally consider such theories outdated.[citation needed] Some found the idea of somatotypes reminiscent of eugenics and racial hygiene; they went against the fashionable emphasis on nurture, presenting a ready-made paradigm that had strong resonates with mystical thought.

Sheldon's photographs of naked Yale undergraduates, numbered in the thousands, which had been taken under the umbrella of a pre-existing program for checking student posture, and other similar photographs that he had gathered from programs at other institutes, were eventually destroyed.[3][4]

The words endomorphic, mesomorphic and ectomorphic are still sometimes used to describe body types, as, for example, in association with weight training aimed at gaining muscle, but interest in this kind of correlation between physiology and psyche remains largely the province of the occult philosopher. The psychosomatic linkage is fairly simplistic and is seen as undemonstrated in physiological science, but the account of somatotypes is still probably a valid[citation needed], if limited, way to sort basic body types. Advanced triploblastic animals, such as mammals, or modern humans in particular, do have these three basic tissue layers.

Sheldon himself was more a behavioral psychologist than either an anatomist or a physiologist. His behavioral conclusions were based largely on interviews which he or his students carried out over a long span of time, and the actual psychometric data was often more suggestive than conclusive. The prevalence of kindred ideas in folklore and spiritual philosophy, though, suggests that ideas similar to Sheldon's will continue to be held until they are conclusively proven or disproven."

Psychdigg

Skylights:

Sheldon's theory about somatotype and personality has a strong tie in with Jung. Sheldon worked at the Jung institute in Switzerland for a while.

In Jung's Collected Works vol 6 page 524 Jung says: "so intimate is the intermingling of body and psychic traits that not only can we draw far-reaching inferences as to the constitution of the psyche from the constitution of the body, but we can also infer from psychic peculiarities the corresponding bodily characteristics.

At this point in time I have taken this theory further than anyone alive. Using actual measurements of a person's body (height, weight patterns, Trunk Index) it is possible to determine quite accurately the particular mix of endo, meso and ecto.

What I have done differently is add a factor that expresses the degree of balance between those three dimensions. A mesomorph that is a is a lot different from a mesomorph that is a (Brad Pitt) Both are muscular but Brad Pitt is a little more independent and selective than a Tiger Woods.

Types don't have rigid boundaries defining them. They are like clouds of probability. This is evident in the endless discussions about "am I a P or J" , "I tested first as an T and then later as an F" This is really a problem with the balanced somatotypes that lie at the center of the chart. The close you are to the balance point of the center the more likely you will be confused about your type. That also may explain why the majority of people who are endlessly fascinated with type are midrange types. Those who are more extreme in body-type are less concerned about their identity because it doesn't shift.

Balance doesn't mean stability. Think of a teeter-totter or balance scale. If one side is dominant it tips in one direction and stays there. If the weights are equal the slightest touch destabilizes the system and keeps going back and forth. People in the middle have so many possibilities that they have trouble determining exactly who they are.

Last edited:

Mole

Permabanned
Like a Dog to its Vomit

Yes, "Personality Types", was written by Carl Jung to complement Somatic Types.

And Somatic Types were an essential part of Eugenics which was started in the USA and perfected in Germany.

Unfortunately Carl Jung backed the wrong side in WW II, but he would be pleased to see we are returning to Eugenics, Somatic Types and Personality Types like a dog to its vomit.

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In that case I stand corrected. If C.G. Jung said it,it must be true.:doh:

KDude

People in the middle have so many possibilities that they have trouble determining exactly who they are.

I've never had that much of a problem with being typed ISFP. Until I came to this place. I start doubting my type when I'm supposed to be a potato chip grubbing, completely unintuitive nitwit who can't understand "how deep others are", born as a meek little soul with a teddy bear in my arms instead of some balls or self respect. And now I can add "endomorph" to things I'm not too. :D

These things create a doubting response in myself, where I go... "well shit, I'm not that clueless.. maybe I'm an NF" :thinking: Or "maybe I'm a Ti".. Or "maybe I'm ESFP".. but it's all bullshit. I am not really that great at being any of those, speaking strictly from a "functional" point of view (or how the type is described by authors, rather than laymen). I'd just suggest people get Thomson's book and find their type that way, if they're confused (I need to take my own advice too).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What a funny chart. I'm pretty solidly halfway between Ecto and Meso. Zero Endo. Thus I'm INTJ! Woot! ;)

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
INTJ, too.

Wouldn't be the first to be wrong.

How is one ever halfway between endo and ecto, tho?

Psychdigg

Victor:

You are committing the fallacy of confusing the origins (and you are wrong on that too) of something with its truthfulness.

This is a variety of ad hominen attack. Discredit the person and subsequently cast a shadow over everything they do.

The Nazi's and all bad men use a variety of tools to perpetuate their power.

If it is shown that somatotype is an accurate predictor of temperament that fact would stand whether it was used as a tool to manipulate people.

As of now you could say the same thing about personality tests. They are routinely used to hire,fire, promote, and put people on the fast track. Same with IQ tests. Is there something that IQ tests measure? And are those measurements used by certain people to make decisions about peoples future income and happiness. Yes. Indeed.

So your knee-jerk reaction pretty much helps me size up the current state of YOUR ability to carry out an objective investigation of this subject and probably most subjects.

Psychdigg

Red Herring:

I have real problems with Jung. MBTI is my least favorite test mainly because it is grounded in Jung. Jung describes the functions but doesn't name them very well and because of his alchemical tendencies to arrange things into quaternities of opposites has devised a system that is really incoherent.

If Sensing, Thinking, Feeling, Intuiting are all functions shared by everyone then why can't you have 24 combinations of these factors. But, Jung doesn't allow a person to be both Sensing and Intuitive. Jung doesn't allow a person to be both thinking and feeling. Why? Well that's just the way he said it has to be.

I bring up Jung, not because he is some holy guru, but because some THINK he is, it may persuade them to consider somatotype BECAUSE he thought it was important. In truth, Jung gave brief lip service to the concept of constitutional types but he was so involved with the psyche he had no time to consider the soma.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be a either a 343, Which puts me right on the boundary of ENFJ and ENTJ... Or I'd be a 353 (putting me near ESFP/ESTP). I think its a reasonable theory. Being more Meso/Ecto might have driven a more ENTJ/ESTP side of me. ...who knows...

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have no idea what I am on that damn chart.
Mesomorph, though. 250 lbs, 178 cm.
And no, I do not look like Manuel Uribe, i'm muscular XD

sandpaper

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
i never know which body-type i'm supposed to fit into.
most of my bones are long (my feet and hands are small though), i look very young for my age (i'm 20 and most people that don't know me think i'm 13 or something like that), i am considered tall by most people (though i'd say it's regular height in europe, 172 cm female) which are the characteristics of ectomorphs. but i do gain muscle easily (mesomorph), i look rather fleshy than rubbery like some skinny people with muscle do. my skeleton is rather delicate and small (ectomorph) but my body is hourglass shaped (female characteristic for mesomorph). on the other hand my thighs are significantly bigger than my very slim calves which is often associated with endomorph.

and i am an infp sooo i should be an endomorph? so confusing...

Mole

Permabanned
A Nerve

Victor:
So your knee-jerk reaction pretty much helps me size up the current state of YOUR ability to carry out an objective investigation of this subject and probably most subjects.

I understand I have touched a nerve.

And indeed how could I possibly have the nerve myself to question the personality of Jung?

And you're right, it does take nerve to question MBTI on an MBTI site.

But consider how well they take it. They are not nervous people. They take my critique of MBTI in their stride.

Of course they represent people from all over the world, and have resisted the temptation to be parochial.

Unfortunately Jung himself would have regarded them as Cosmopolitans. And just as Jung abused his female patients, Cosmopolitans came to an even worse end.

I can see I get on your nerves. Who knows, perhaps we Cosmopolitans make you nervous.

So I would be grateful if you would put me on Ignore.

On the other hand, you could read every word I write and let me know immediately I get on your nerves.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I'm stockyish with a bit of fat and a bit of muscle what type does that make me?

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
I'm stockyish with a bit of fat and a bit of muscle what type does that make me?

Mesomorph.

In reality, everyone is some percentage of the three types. I'm mostly an ecto with touches of meso.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
more information for those who are curious:
The Somatotypes

the proposed correlations are interesting, psychdigg, and welcome.

i can't say i've ever been a big subscriber to somatotype theory though .__.'' have there been studies done to affirm these correlations?

Outside of psychology and in the realm of health/fitness/kinetics/stuff to do with the body and making it run smoothly there have been. Whole tenants of Ayurvedic medicine are based on body type/personality type relations.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Skylights:

Sheldon's theory about somatotype and personality has a strong tie in with Jung. Sheldon worked at the Jung institute in Switzerland for a while.

In Jung's Collected Works vol 6 page 524 Jung says: "so intimate is the intermingling of body and psychic traits that not only can we draw far-reaching inferences as to the constitution of the psyche from the constitution of the body, but we can also infer from psychic peculiarities the corresponding bodily characteristics.

At this point in time I have taken this theory further than anyone alive. Using actual measurements of a person's body (height, weight patterns, Trunk Index) it is possible to determine quite accurately the particular mix of endo, meso and ecto.

What I have done differently is add a factor that expresses the degree of balance between those three dimensions. A mesomorph that is a 4,5,4 (Tiger Woods) is a lot different from a mesomorph that is a 2.5,5,4.5 (Brad Pitt) Both are muscular but Brad Pitt is a little more independent and selective than a Tiger Woods.

Types don't have rigid boundaries defining them. They are like clouds of probability. This is evident in the endless discussions about "am I a P or J" , "I tested first as an T and then later as an F" This is really a problem with the balanced somatotypes that lie at the center of the chart. The close you are to the balance point of the center the more likely you will be confused about your type. That also may explain why the majority of people who are endlessly fascinated with type are midrange types. Those who are more extreme in body-type are less concerned about their identity because it doesn't shift.

Balance doesn't mean stability. Think of a teeter-totter or balance scale. If one side is dominant it tips in one direction and stays there. If the weights are equal the slightest touch destabilizes the system and keeps going back and forth. People in the middle have so many possibilities that they have trouble determining exactly who they are.

though, i still wonder if anyone has done scientific correlative studies?

anyway, mine is actually pretty accurate. i'm average-limbed and muscular with a little more fat around my hips/butt than everywhere else.

If Sensing, Thinking, Feeling, Intuiting are all functions shared by everyone then why can't you have 24 combinations of these factors. But, Jung doesn't allow a person to be both Sensing and Intuitive. Jung doesn't allow a person to be both thinking and feeling. Why? Well that's just the way he said it has to be.

everyone is both though, we just tend to use either one or the other more, based on the model. i don't know if jung's theory is necessarily right, but i find it useful, because at least it's a starting point for understanding people's minds, and it's based off of their minds. all measurements are technically arbitrary, anyway.

i agree with you in believing that body and mind are unquestionably related, but i'm not quite comfortable with using body shape as a basis for understanding people's minds. there's so much that can go on in between.