• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Change versus Compensation

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Oh, I'm pretty sure that I do compensate in my expression based on the environment to some degree. For instance, in this post from a technical forum from several years ago, and I don't think I really seem like an INFJ from anything you can see readily...

There is no option to do this in Snes9x itself, because all of the SNES's audio goes through the same chip. Some games have internal options for adjusting the volume of the music, but many do not. This is not a problem for most, and would be difficult to implement at best, and impossible at worst. In any case, it is unlikely to be added to a future version of Snes9x.

An effect close to what you are trying to acheive can be produced in ZSNES by disabling the first five sound channels. It is not perfect, however, and portions of the background music are still played.

Even if this were possible, you could not use Winamp or any other audio application to play background music whilst the emulator was running. Two applications cannot play audio at the same time, unless of course you have two sound cards or a very advanced sound card and special drivers. You could however play the music on a stereo separate from the computer.

It would be impossible to guess my type from that post. So I do agree that there's a degree of compensation...

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I kind of see what wildcat means... but I agree with you that the traditional meaning of the two, compensation and change aren't the same.

You have suspensions... a spring being compressed. Does it return to its original position after stress? No quite... close to it, but not quite. And so there has been change. But the change isn't to become something else... more like a stretchier version of the same. The more you practice, the easier it becomes. You've changed, but you haven't become the other type.
Well I do declare! Tonight you should take over the world. It'd become a much better place :)

Quite true, the change is an increase capacity for change and some other residual effects. I guess purists would claim that this itself is the straw that breaks the camels back but I would retort that all learning is change. Even reading a book is change. It's the only real constant.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes.
Any system breaks up with enough pressure. Escape (=compensation; change) is a way to put up with pressure a little while longer.

My father was an alcoholic bohemian fiddler who used to sleep in taverns.
One day he changed. People asked: Is this the same man?

I guess the escape had become a burden. The medicine had become a poison.
Then he just stopped using the medicine, that is all.

Does Sun revolve around the Earth? Einstein did not know.
The change is not in us. It is in the circumstances. Not a bad way to put it.
You are perfectly at liberty to refuse to answer this old friend, I'm not sure you'd wish to divulge more so feel free to refuse.

In the case of your father, would you say he was flexing or breaking? I mean was there a definitive change in his cognitive wiring or just what his choices were?
Mece now? In the arctic winter I shall need my mittens. My suspension strut is all ice.
MECE? Always :D

As for ice covered suspension, see the silver lining? No? Well there's no leaves if it's all snow :D No leaves = no leaf blowers!!!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh, I'm pretty sure that I do compensate in my expression based on the environment to some degree. For instance, in this post from a technical forum from several years ago, and I don't think I really seem like an INFJ from anything you can see readily...

It would be impossible to guess my type from that post. So I do agree that there's a degree of compensation...
Actually I read through that and I wouldn't have pegged you for an NT still. There's not enough technical gumph for an NT ;)

I guess you could get ST from it which would be your alternate thinking style. Mind you this is with the benefit of hindsight. Also you INFJs are swines to type normally, there's nothing unusual in that. :steam:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
You are perfectly at liberty to refuse to answer this old friend, I'm not sure you'd wish to divulge more so feel free to refuse.

In the case of your father, would you say he was flexing or breaking? I mean was there a definitive change in his cognitive wiring or just what his choices were?

MECE? Always :D

As for ice covered suspension, see the silver lining? No? Well there's no leaves if it's all snow :D No leaves = no leaf blowers!!!
When you flex too much you start to break. My father did not break because he was given a job. He suddenly understood he was given a chance to survive.

NO LEAF BLOWERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well I do declare! Tonight you should take over the world. It'd become a much better place :)

Quite true, the change is an increase capacity for change and some other residual effects. I guess purists would claim that this itself is the straw that breaks the camels back but I would retort that all learning is change. Even reading a book is change. It's the only real constant.
YES! The insanely fearless mouse will take over the world! :devil:

Question now is... what will happen afterwards? :unsure:

Also you INFJs are swines to type normally, there's nothing unusual in that. :steam:
I think INFJs just have natural tendencies to compensate. Compensation to make interactions with others people smoother. If that makes us swines... lol!

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
When you flex too much you start to break. My father did not break because he was given a job. He suddenly understood he was given a chance to survive.
An interesting question for you.

When a person snaps and loses their control do they snap and change their type or do they in fact snap back into an extreme version of their own current type?

For example if I just lost it one day (I can just feel this is asking for it) and I snap, am I then more INTP than normal or less? I would hazard a guess that I'd be more likely to retract into my comfort zone and more flagrantly display my preferences and the thing I would lose is my flexibility.
NO LEAF BLOWERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Right.
There is always the dream ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
YES! The insanely fearless mouse will take over the world! :devil:

Question now is... what will happen afterwards? :unsure:
Well the real question you'd have to ask is could you, in all honesty, do any worse than the current lot providing you keep your sensibilities?
I think INFJs just have natural tendencies to compensate. Compensation to make interactions with others people smoother. If that makes us swines... lol!
Compensate nothing, it's the whole "I have strong emotions" yeah buried in your boots under about a ton of calm frickin water! Swines!!!

I find INTPs, ESTJs, ESTPs, ENTPs ...hell anyone, easier to read than an INFJ!

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*strolls in with more blatant yet maddeningly obscure ENFJ perving that forces you to compensate*

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well the real question you'd have to ask is could you, in all honesty, do any worse than the current lot providing you keep your sensibilities?
A trip down to the imaginary la la land... Well if you phrase it that way, probably not, at least for the first little while. Then I don't care anymore... people can do whatever... would that be better, worse or the same as the existing situation? Not sure.
Compensate nothing, it's the whole "I have strong emotions" yeah buried in your boots under about a ton of calm frickin water! Swines!!!

Would you rather that "I have strong emotions" without the water? That'll be INFJs on the war path... I can just imagine that day when all of us do that... It'll be a sight.

Read us? Why don't you take the simplest route and ask us?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Why is that a bad thing? :huh: I didn't think INTP's preferred to interact with intensely emotional people?

Yes, but isn't that what makes us interesting? ;)

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
athenian200 said:
:huh: I didn't think INTP's preferred to interact with intensely emotional people?

Emotional (with the connotation of neurotic).. no, but some INTPs appreciate sensitivity and emotional depth.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
*strolls in with more blatant yet maddeningly obscure ENFJ perving that forces you to compensate*
Compensate for ENFJs? Nah. Just ride the wave ;)
A trip down to the imaginary la la land... Well if you phrase it that way, probably not, at least for the first little while. Then I don't care anymore... people can do whatever... would that be better, worse or the same as the existing situation? Not sure.
Me thinks the pressure would change that response some. Plus the whole "running the world is your life" has to have some bearing. Besides yuz the brain right?
Would you rather that "I have strong emotions" without the water? That'll be INFJs on the war path... I can just imagine that day when all of us do that... It'll be a sight.
Hah! I fear no NF tirade.
It's the NT tirade that scares the bejeebus out of me!
Read us? Why don't you take the simplest route and ask us?
Boring. Stop being so boring. Why are you so boring? Bored.
:tongue10:
Why is that a bad thing? :huh: I didn't think INTP's preferred to interact with intensely emotional people?
Nope. I dislike the intensely emotionally irrational kind. Intense emotion is like intense thought to me. It's all processing. I surround myself with emotional type. They add the technicolor to the world ;)
Yes, but isn't that what makes us interesting? ;)
Interesting? Error. Misuse of word.

Irritating.

:D
Emotional (with the connotation of neurotic).. no, but some INTPs appreciate sensitivity and emotional depth.
Quite true. In fact I love the INFP deep mysticism, I love the ENFJ command and the ESFP throw caution to the wind. Balanced Fs are as much fun if not more so than balanced Ts. Something to do with feeling included. I have my FIRO-B scores and I'm sticking to them :smile:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Nope. I dislike the intensely emotionally irrational kind. Intense emotion is like intense thought to me. It's all processing. I surround myself with emotional type. They add the technicolor to the world ;)

I guess there's a reason INTP's often seem to understand INFP's (at least in some ways) better than we can a lot of the time. Do you find us boring since our emotions don't seem as intense as other F's?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I guess there's a reason INTP's often seem to understand INFP's (at least in some ways) better than we can a lot of the time. Do you find us boring since our emotions don't seem as intense as other F's?
Personally I come from an upfront family. I have upfront friends and value the straight up no nonsense honesty. I also treat obfuscation and excessive defence as a lack of honesty at worst and an irritation at best. The INFJ I know has known me for like 10 years, is my sisters ex (that happened in the middle of the ten years) and still I feel like grabbing a pick axe and taking it to his head. Why conceal everything? What on earth is worth all that effort?

I'm an honest and straight talking person, mostly. I do this in part to show my respect for others and in part so others can know what it is I need and want so they have a cat's chance in hell of accomplishing it. Those that do the opposite to this tend to read to me as disrespectful and also awkward as they still seem to want stuff and expect to get it (aside from the "tragic" ones) and yet do they tell you what it is that they want? Do they heck as like! That's just plain irritating in my book.

:thinking:
After further thought though I guess yes. I like interactive people and some just seem so cold and unresponsive that yes I do get bored and wander off.

How long would you poke someone in the ribs who screamed entertainingly as opposed to one who merely sat there and looked at you?

Actually that's how the ESFP got to be known to me as entertaining. She's the only person you can tickle without actually having to touch. Just look like you're going to tickle her. :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is there a way to duct tape Xander to a chair? *ponders with NF emotional intensity and depth*

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really care for actively socializing but I do it well. More than anything, I'm naturally quiet, serious, and thoughtful, but if I get the idea in my head that I should do something, then more often than not I go for it. There are a lot of things/behaviors that I do well that aren't really "natural" to me. It's not change, it's development. Self-actualizing. "Being all that you can be." Of course,

Where do you draw the line?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I don't really care for actively socializing but I do it well. More than anything, I'm naturally quiet, serious, and thoughtful, but if I get the idea in my head that I should do something, then more often than not I go for it. There are a lot of things/behaviors that I do well that aren't really "natural" to me. It's not change, it's development. Self-actualizing. "Being all that you can be." Of course,

Where do you draw the line?
Line? What line? You Js and your lines!!!
;)

I guess the "line" is drawn wherever you choose it to be. Unless you are some kind of science experiment then you're an individual and as such you get to draw it yourself. The only problem with that is within your own psychology and whether you're restricting yourself to your comfort zone with these "lines". It's often all to easy to claim that you can't do something and blame it on your type. All you're really doing is putting a name on a monster. That doesn't remove the fact that the monster is part of you.