• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do most people on the internet just happen to be N's?

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
:shock:
Should we even dare to think about it?

Who's on Encyclopedia Dramatica? I'd bet money that most people on Cracked: writers and posters are Ns.

ED, NTs. that's their kind of humor.

Cracked seems more like an S thing to me, i make it through one of their lists and find it hilarious but can only remember one or two actual examples

Unique

It's a myth.
Just like any celebrity who has an ounce of depth, must also be an N.

Somewhere along the way someone started a rumour that S's lack depth and it snowballed from there..

It is of course, nonsense.

The raw statistics alone suggest that S's dominate in numbers EVERYWHERE, I don't see why here would be any different.
Especially because I know quite a few deep, sensitive, artistic, emotionally intelligent and philosophical S's who just love the internet.

What makes sense would be the internet is dominated by Introverts.

Cause this is a personality THEORY forum

Get off your high horse, no-body is saying that S's couldn't be interested in something like this but N's prefer it

As for the topic....

It's relevant mostly cause this is an abstract idea forum, therefore = more N's and this has been discussed before and there are previous threads on it

As for the whole internet? Maybe in the beginning when it was more abstract... now its practical and mainstream, just going off a hunch that there are more S types, go look at the social networking sites

Heck even online games for example world of warcraft have a high volume of S type players (although it didn't start out that way)

anonym

Through the internet it has been easier to me to find people to talk to. As a N it's naturally harder to find people who talk about the same things.

1. N is more rare than S.
2. N makes you more likely to be interested in discussions.

As for the theory "On big sites there are a lot of S's and on small sites there are few S's.", I'd disagree.
As a N I prefer big sites because you can find more people there.
There are a lot of different small sites, even forums about small villages. I think nowadays S's find a lot places to be on the web.

It might be true that N's are more likely to avoid "mainstream" sites but that's the only aspect where the differences are obvious. And of course some sites attract S's more than N's and others attract N's more than S's.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
wow... it's always great to see which people on this site think that I'm shallow, unable to grasp theories and should be spending my time on facebook and twitter... :rolleyes:

First off, I've seen a gross misunderstanding of what S and N really ARE in this thread displayed by people... and the fact that they are only some of the functions that make up our personalities... personally, I use my Ti a lot more on the internet than most of my other functions... the internet allows me to piece together understandings of things through research that I wouldn't be able to do spending a lot more time in the libraries and with newspapers in real life. It's pretty rediculous to argue that Sensors wouldn't find appeal to forums on a site where the second most prolific poster is a Se dom :newwink:

Secondly, this sort of stupid misunderstanding of what the functions REALLY do often leads new people (especially those who join, post two or three times about "why doesn't my boyfriend understand me?" or whatever and then leave) to type themselves as Intuitive, which really tends to give a skew to the results of type on this site... There's probably some more senior posters who avoid the theory sections and such who really might not be as intuitive as they claim because they took one of the stupid, shallow basic tests online and found the N descriptions to be more in-tune with their Gen Y ideals!

Sensors DO tend to understand theory just as well as Intuitives, especially if we can apply it to real life examples so that we know WHY we're learning about it and that it's useful... theories that involve other people can be useful intellectual toys- especially when one works with other people for a living and such- the idea that we'd avoid the site because "it's too abstract" is just silly :nono:

so no... you're not the Ne-lite of the internet... please take some time to understand "the enemy" a bit better before judging in the future :)

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
This has actually been discussed before. On any forum associated with MBTI there automatically tends to be a selection bias, as even in the real world, those with an interest in MBTI also tend to be Ns. This is due to the abstract, somewhat impractical nature of the system. Ergo, the people interested enough in the concept to spout their type will tend to be Intuitives. For anyone interested, I’ve previously run into an MBTI survey on an anime forum in which the majority of the members were xNxP with a few xNxJs peppered throughout. So there’s definitely a selection bias within different internet groups.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm going to guess that you didn't read my post before responding :rolleyes:

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
personally, I use my Ti a lot more on the internet than most of my other functions... the internet allows me to piece together understandings of things through research that I wouldn't be able to do spending a lot more time in the libraries and with newspapers in real life.

U learn Ti well grasshopper. :D

G

garbage

SPs' and SJs' primary interests outside of the Internet; after all, the Internet is an abstract network of connections and ideas. Thus, they prefer to allocate their time to interests that have more relevance to the "real world" than the Internet.

Rather than partake in Internet forums, SPs prefer the following activities:
  • Gardening
  • Parasailing
  • Playing basketball
  • Shopping for bright-colored clothing

Likewise, SJs prefer the following activities:
  • Reading history textbooks
  • Remembering things that happened in the past
  • Adjusting their picture frames so that they are exactly parallel to the floor

Keep in mind, however, that there are some Internet websites that have an abundance of SPs and SJs. History forums are full of SJs, for example. As for SPs, from time to time they may surf the Internet on their mobile phones while they are partaking in their many rigorous physical activities.

R

ReflecTcelfeR

I think this thread could be considered a bit of an over reaction. My vote goes to the N's for internet surfers. The internet is a good way to get lost, and ignore the real world... that's what I would suspect an N to do once they found the internet. Let's ask everyone, one by one, why they use the internet, because obviously we can't settle on a sample size.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
we'd never get a proper sample size for analysis on this site alone! :horor: plus, it'd be a biased sample...

I usually have several windows open... one for this site, one reading news on the Yahoo site and one on Wikipedia... because you can never know too much :cheese:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
SPs' and SJs' primary interests outside of the Internet; after all, the Internet is an abstract network of connections and ideas.
I can't tell if you're sarcastic so I'll assume you're not. The internet is hardly abstract at this point. It's extremely data-filled. It's only "abstract" as much as watching TV or reading or watching a ball game is "abstract", in that you're not actually physically doing something. But there are plenty of stereotypical S things online. ("how to fix a car!" "how to explode things in cool ways!" "the best places to travel and travel tips") and lots more things that can be enjoyed by Ss (and Ns) online. Obviously. There's like a kazillion sites online, there's gotta be something for everyone.

Rather than partake in Internet forums, SPs prefer the following activities:
  • Gardening
  • Parasailing
  • Playing basketball
  • Shopping for bright-colored clothing
Parasailing, ok, and gardening in theory (but it's a lot of effort).

I know we're ADD and all that, but we really don't need to be running around 24/7. I'm way too lazy for that (and it's hot out). Still plenty of "inside time" to waste on the internet.

Consider how many posters are here, arguably one of the more intuitive-positive sites out there, and think about the sites that would be more S-popular.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
excellent post Mister Eyebrows.

what each type actually uses the internet for:

ESTJ - forum moderating
ENTJ - spying on people using google maps
ESTP - dead baby jokes
ENTP - drug dealing
ESFJ - daily religious email messages
ENFJ - shoe shopping
ESFP - facebook events
ENFP - joining cults
ISTJ - reporting posts
INTJ - bounty hunt contracting
ISTP - openware developing
INTP - learning trivia
ISFJ - donating money
INFJ - conspiracy theory
INFP - emo music

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think most people just don't have a clue. :/ Neither do I, but that's not the point... >.>

Other opinions?
Simpler explanation: Sensors actually have a life.

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
we'd never get a proper sample size for analysis on this site alone! :horor: plus, it'd be a biased sample...

I usually have several windows open... one for this site, one reading news on the Yahoo site and one on Wikipedia... because you can never know too much :cheese:

I have seven windows open right now, sometimes ten at times.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It'll get extreme sometimes and I'll have something like 15 windows open, but I just restarted the computer earlier and haven't worked my way up to that again yet :laugh: