• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do most people on the internet just happen to be N's?

jixmixfix

Permabanned
I think both S's and N's use it equally, but I think N's like to use it for intellectual purposes and S's tend to use it for multimedia purposes like music, games n such.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's not really a S hater / N elitist thing. It's that the more abstract and removed from reality the subject matter is, the less Ss tend to have an interest in it. It's a preference.

So Salvador Dali (ISFP) doesn't understand abstract? what about Captain (ESFP) Kirk?
What about all those S's involved in finance? Not hardcore finance, but abstract finance, people who make millions on conceptual money and projections?

That S's are not attracted to theory and abstract is just silly.. ISFP's alone blow that one right out of the water.

And finally, WE USE ALL 8 FUNCTIONS REGARDLESS OF PREFERENCE!!! So just because someone is an S doesn't mean they wont have some N tendencies and thus be attracted to N type things.. Just like some N's I know, love hiking,drinking, good food, cycling and fucking.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*cough* It's an estimation, a guess---a speculation to serve as substitute for vague data. The origin of the idea is "more N than S but S will still be significant".
What I'm asking is where is the rationale, if it's just speculation.

If we say that there are far more Ss than Ns in the general population, you have to have a reason for saying there are actually more people who are Ns on the internet.

I bet you 99%+ of people younger than 30 (and quite a few older) are "on the internet" regularly. You'll have to be more specific about where you're finding the imbalance. If you say MBTI forums, that would be debatable. The whole internet? That's less likely. How can you comment about the places you don't frequent? Perhaps Ns tend to go to the same places on the internet, and that's why you seem to think there are mostly Ns there...because you're all attracted to the same sites.

Pretty much all the Ss in my life except me are addicted to youbtube, for example.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
So Salvador Dali (ISFP) doesn't understand abstract? what about Captain (ESFP) Kirk?
What about all those S's involved in finance? Not hardcore finance, but abstract finance, people who make millions on conceptual money and projections?

That S's are not attracted to theory and abstract is just silly.. ISFP's alone blow that one right out of the water.

And finally, WE USE ALL 8 FUNCTIONS REGARDLESS OF PREFERENCE!!! So just because someone is an S doesn't mean they wont have some N tendencies and thus be attracted to N type things.. Just like some N's I know, love hiking,drinking, good food, cycling and fucking.

Captain Kurt doesn't understand abstract.

It's not an all or nothing thing, these are just trends we're talking about.

Abstract Thinker

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Okay, this is a little off topic, but I'll have a go...

I agree completely with what Arclight said above. I don't think it has as much to do with what a person does or produces IRL, as much as what lens they look through when they peer from the inside out.

My "N" is the strongest of my preferences (but not by far - I'm NOT balanced), and here's how I can verbalize what it's like for me:

When I look out into the world, I see the surreal and abstract first. I look at a building and I see how I felt the last time I was there. Or I can be in a club or any other public place, and I see what the mood is in the room. Then I notice what's actually there.

I have to purposefully look past my immediate "vision" to see what's actually happening around me. It's like I see my imagination first, a little blurry maybe, but it's always in the foreground.

I imagine (I actually have no idea), but I imagine that for S types, it's the other way around... they see the real world in the foreground, and then their imagined world in the background.

Now that having been said, I can focus on whichever "world" I want to with equal skill, and I do fine with day-to-day things. I imagine it's like that for everybody, N and S alike. So when it comes to artistic output or interpretation, all one has to do is focus on that which they need to.

Make sense? :shock:

That's just how I can put it into words.

KDude

I intuit that clubs suck so much ass that i don't even go anymore.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Captain Kurt doesn't understand abstract.

It's not an all or nothing thing, these are just trends we're talking about.

Kirk is a Method actor. Understanding the abstract is the key to his performance.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I bet there are a lot of ISFx on the Internet because there are a hell of a lot of ISFx writers I've noticed....I would think that people with more of a penchant for expressing themselves in writing would spend more time on-line, whether S or N...Also, I'm sure there are plenty of Ss who chat with people on-line all day or get on social networking sites.

There are a bunch of people who mistype themselves as N. I would think, however, that ESxx and also ENxJ would be less prevalent on the the Internet because of extroversion rather than N or S.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What I'm asking is where is the rationale, if it's just speculation.

If we say that there are far more Ss than Ns in the general population, you have to have a reason for saying there are actually more people who are Ns on the internet.

I bet you 99%+ of people younger than 30 (and quite a few older) are "on the internet" regularly. You'll have to be more specific about where you're finding the imbalance. If you say MBTI forums, that would be debatable. The whole internet? That's less likely. How can you comment about the places you don't frequent? Perhaps Ns tend to go to the same places on the internet, and that's why you seem to think there are mostly Ns there...because you're all attracted to the same sites.

Pretty much all the Ss in my life except me are addicted to youbtube, for example.

I guess you have to ask, "What is so "N" about the internet?"

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
The internet has things that interest Ns and Ss.

Most forums for example are an N thing. (this forum proves it).
A site with clothes, fashion, stuff to buy etc will be more likely visited by Ss.
Ns rule the blogs.
Ss might rule the cars forums though.
Ss will most likely want to use the internet for entertainment.

Anyway. You get the idea. You can't just generalize and say there are more Ns because there are more Ns on this forum for example. The internet is for everybody, but Ns spend more time on it.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I don't think the majority of people on the internet are iNtuitives. I'd say that there are slightly more Ns on the internet than in real life, but that doesn't mean much. If 1 out of 4 people are Ns in real life, maybe 1 out of 3 people are Ns on the internet. That's not a huge difference.

Ns are greatly overrepresented on typology forums because Ns are attracted to theories, and the MBTI is a theory. Ss tend to be wary of the MBTI because it's so theoretical and, for the most part, unsupported by concrete, factual evidence. Also, there are plenty of people who have mistyped themselves because of shoddy online tests. (Being interested in intellectual pursuits is not an N-specific trait, even though plenty of online tests make it seem that way. Creativity isn't an N-specific trait, either.) I'd say that about 10-20% of the users on here who think that they're Ns are actually Ss, if not more.

The only dichotomy that varies substantially on the internet is Extroversion/Introversion. I don't think I need to explain why.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

A site with clothes, fashion, stuff to buy etc will be more likely visited by Ss.
Ns rule the blogs.

Anyway. You get the idea. You can't just generalize and say there are more Ns because there are more Ns on this forum for example. The internet is for everybody, but Ns spend more time on it.

I'm going to have to disagree that "Ns rule the blogs" I'm sure plenty of ISTJs have political blogs (lots of ISTJs are in politics IRL), and many ISFJs and ISFPs have more creative blogs.

I really wish you people would look more at the types of writers, artists, and directors. Jesus.

KDude

I like writing as a form of communication, so I could see that (just my 2c. Assuming I'm still ISFP). Personally, I don't like blogging.. it's a bit forced, I guess? I'm not good at thinking of ideas for thread subjects either, for that matter. But I like getting out my thoughts in writing, as a reactionary/response thing, like here or email. I don't have much to say or people I can always connect with offline either, so I gravitate to the internet.. there's more opportunity to meet interesting people.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

Ns rule the blogs.

1. Of course these forums are more of an N thing. It has to do with typology for crying out loud. How are forums not relating to typology more N?
2. I think people who write rule the blogs. Typically I think of a writer as being an SF or NF.
3. Can't argue with that.
4. True, but N's don't? I sincerely doubt that all N's are intellectuals.

I really don't think of the internet as an N place, but as an introverted place.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
This thread seems to have devolved into which types blog. And I think it's the same thing - all types might blog, but they use the medium differently. The N's I know personally are blogging about politics or meandering ruminations, and the one confirmed S-type I know who blogs posts pictures of her decorating ideas.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. Of course these forums are more of an N thing. It has to do with typology for crying out loud. How are forums not relating to typology more N?

i wonder what the most populous type on 4chan is...

:rofl1:

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
i wonder what the most populous type on 4chan is...

:rofl1:

:shock:
Should we even dare to think about it?

Who's on Encyclopedia Dramatica? I'd bet money that most people on Cracked: writers and posters are Ns.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

No they're not and no it doesn't. This forum is about a subject that has very limited interest from the general population. If this forum proves anything, it's that, since this is a very small forum compared to those with subjects of general interest.

Ns rule the blogs.

Now you're on to something, but I would add - not just entertainment but all sorts of practical purposes such as parenting advice, financial, vacation planning, politics, etc.

I really don't think of the internet as an N place, but as an introverted place.

??

So, why did you start a topic asking why it's mostly Ns on the internet? :huh: