• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why do most people on the internet just happen to be N's?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I think most people just don't have a clue. :/ Neither do I, but that's not the point... >.>

Other opinions?

G

Glycerine

Hit it right on the money, I might be a S for all I really know. Also, S's tend to engage their environments more rather than staying on the internet for hours.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The Internet represents an abstraction to a large degree. Most early adopters of like technologies would also seem to be disproportionately Ns. Once the technology has been sussed out and mainstreamed, the Ss begin to participate more. But that's just an observation - not certain if any research has indicated otherwise???

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Most Ss are too busy irl to spend as much time in the Internet. They however are coming more and more as the lines between Internet/irl become less clear.

Ns and particular NTs have the advantage of initially coming to net and incorporating their own culture deeply within it. Ns have, in the words of ,Nathan Bedford Forrest , have come to the Internet the "firstest with the mostest".

KDude

The Internet represents an abstraction to a large degree. Most early adopters of like technologies would also seem to be disproportionately Ns. Once the technology has been sussed out and mainstreamed, the Ss begin to participate more. But that's just an observation - not certain if any research has indicated otherwise???

I downloaded and installed Slackware Linux in 1995. Before there were polished brands, before many I knew even had the net.

I also played MUDs and Ultima Online. Before shit like WoW blew up.

I'm probably N. If that's a good criteria and all that.

coconut

MBTI Type
INTJ
The confirmed S's I know use the internet for practical purposes. One checks news and sports scores. One gets ideas for home decor and only goes to those sites. Another keeps up with skin care and beauty products. They seem to use the internet as an information resource where it applies to their daily interests but not as a communication tool (so there's less of them on discussion forums; they're seen less).

So it's not that S's don't use the internet and N's do, but the way they use it can be type-dependent.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)

While this may be true, the internet is not a new thing. Every day the amount of internet users grows and the internet becomes more and more a part of society. I really doubt that there are as many intuitives on the internet as there seem to be. Now, I do believe that there are more introverts on the internet than extraverts, but it seems that there are way too many people calling themselves intuitives out there.

KDude

The confirmed S's I know use the internet for practical purposes. One checks news and sports scores. One gets ideas for home decor and only goes to those sites. Another keeps up with skin care and beauty products. They seem to use the internet as an information resource where it applies to their daily interests but not as a communication tool (so there's less of them on discussion forums; they're seen less).

So it's not that S's don't use the internet and N's do, but the way they use it can be type-dependent.

I know SP's who waste time on facebook ;) But I know people like you're mentioning above as well. I've gotten a few to test at least, and they were SJs.

BrokenSword

MBTI Type
INTP
All of my friends online and most in RL are N's. I think it's really interesting.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I challenge your premise. I don't think most people on the internet are Ns, I think it's quite the opposite actually.

If you had said forums, we might have the start of a rationale, but even there I would disagree.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm waiting for the argument where someone comes in and says that a lot of people who are S's are mistyped (as N's) and really there are not so many N's.:coffee:

KDude

I think there are a lot of S's here actually.. but they are all correctly typed SPs and SJs. :D There are a few borderlines ones that may be N (or have already switched to N), like myself.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
It's a myth.
Just like any celebrity who has an ounce of depth, must also be an N.

Somewhere along the way someone started a rumour that S's lack depth and it snowballed from there..

It is of course, nonsense.

The raw statistics alone suggest that S's dominate in numbers EVERYWHERE, I don't see why here would be any different.
Especially because I know quite a few deep, sensitive, artistic, emotionally intelligent and philosophical S's who just love the internet.

What makes sense would be the internet is dominated by Introverts.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I agree with this.

The internet perhaps "serves" possibilities and abstract exploration for N's, but for S's it's the real world that must be explored. Although there's also practicality involved, If I had to estimate the population of the internet, I'd say the average users at a significant period of time is 60% N and 40% S, which is in clever contrast to unverified estimation that there is 60% S and 40% IRL.

Then again, the Internet is a storage of concrete data---particularly media.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I had to estimate the population of the internet, I'd say the average users at a significant period of time is 60% N and 40% S,
Ok, I'll bite. Source? Or have you just personally read AND accurately personality typed everyone on the internet without meeting them in person?

:thelook:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, I'll bite. Source? Or have you just personally read AND accurately personality typed everyone on the internet without meeting them in person?

:thelook:

*cough* It's an estimation, a guess---a speculation to serve as substitute for vague data. The origin of the idea is "more N than S but S will still be significant".

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
There are tons of Ss on the internet; on Facebook and Twitter.

And then the deeper you go, they start to disappear, like sunlight while walking into a cave.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do they happen to only be Ns on the internet? To be honest I wouldn't think so.
Ns like to go to areas on the internet to stimulate their intuition whereas S's go to areas on the internet to stimulate there senses.
So it's not surprising for a N not to see as many S's in the places they often go to on the net.

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
There are tons of Ss on the internet; on Facebook and Twitter.

And then the deeper you go, they start to disappear, like sunlight while walking into a cave.

Nonsense.

For one.. I know many self professed N's who use both twitter and FB regularly.

Once again someone is suggesting that S's lack depth, when Introversion would likely be the daddy of depth much more than N or S and even then.. I know some very deep E's as well.

I would like for the S haters to just once back up their claims with something beyond a misdirected sense of self importance and a tendency to perform self fellatio at every opportunity.

N elitists are some seriously ugly people I am ascertaining. Get over yourself.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Nonsense.

For one.. I know many self professed N's who use both twitter and FB regularly.

Once again someone is suggesting that S's lack depth, when Introversion would likely be the daddy of depth much more than N or S and even then.. I know some very deep E's as well.

I would like for the S haters to just once back up their claims with something beyond a misdirected sense of self importance and a tendency to perform self fellatio at every opportunity.

N elitists are some seriously ugly people I am ascertaining. Get over yourself.

It's not really a S hater / N elitist thing. It's that the more abstract and removed from reality the subject matter is, the less Ss tend to have an interest in it. It's a preference.