• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

9 Q's of your opposite type!

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
ESTPs!

So, you've figured your opposite type. What you think of them?
E S T P :party2: I am very uncomfortable around them, feeling out of my league when communicating with them. I have known three, two are related to me.

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery?
I feel like I can't relate to their world. They do things I would never do.

I have seen them in action variously as master manipulators, often using people, absolutely able to persuade an eskimo to buy ice. Also they can say anything to anyone and not care how the other person will take it--if they think it, they have to say it.

What strikes as the oddest thing in them?
Insensitivity to other people, refusal to be corrected or recognize mistakes.

Can you begin to understand what their life is about?
I think their lives are about enjoying the good things of life, by whatever means possible, and getting LOTS of attention.

Do you think it's a more or less commonly understood type than yours?
I don't understand them, but since there are more SPs out there than NFs, I am guessing that most people understand this type better than Idealists.

What kind of societies or groups these people participate in?
Any. :devil: Every.

Do you see those types a lot?
I don't see many people at all, to be truthful, but I am related closely to two of them.

How do you act around them?
Nervous, extra quiet, and I try to hide from them.

What would you think they think of you?
Rigidly moralistic, a hard worker, shy, nerdy, confused.

chatoyer

MBTI Type
eNfP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISTJs again

ISTJs, I view them as reliable, detail-oriented, stable people. It's hard for me to have a really satisfying conversation with them, as I'm not terribly interested in details & they usually don't follow my tangents.

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery? No, not really. I admire their follow-through & wish I had the drive to get things done they naturally have.

What strikes as the oddest thing in them? The valuing of details, & the tendency to work and not make it playful, that play & work are so walled off from each other. When do they relax? And when they do, it seems like they view it as a "task" on their to-do list!

Can you begin to understand what their life is about? I think so, it just doesn't hold appeal to me, because I often don't share their "typical" interests. I do admire their hard work & diligence though.

More commonly understood, there are more of them & SJ qualities are highly valued in our culture in most work environments.

What kind of societies or groups these people participate in? Many of them are in accounting professions & admin assistants. Hobbies vary, & that's where I would connect with them.

Do you see those types a lot? No, not socially very much.

How do you act around them? Polite & I'll talk to them, but I've never felt a "kindred soul" connection with them.

What would you think they think of you? Flaky, dreamy, impractical, scattered. I feel like they can't see or value my skills or interests.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Beware.
Santtu is a domestic Finnish cat.
He plays with the mice before he catches them.
Alas we wildcats cannot afford such luxury.
I'm wondering about that one myself... So Santtu, why do you want to know?

ESTP? ummm I suppose they must be fun people... I know of ESFP, but not really of ESTP.

No... just different from myself... very very different.

I can imagine, but chances are I'll get it all wrong... therefore probably not.

Not sure... they say INXJs are rare... but what does that mean really?

Sports etc I suppose... don't really know or interaction with ESTPs myself.

No

Myself? I'm guessing more Ti ish...

*shrugs* like every other person? Either they like my randomness or they think I'm weird.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I adore INFJs! :wubbie: I had a very close INFJ friend while growing up and we were pretty much a nice team of good and evil- she being the good one! :laugh:

I'm in awe of them, but I've never felt that anything was really shrouded in mystery :sad:

That they can beleive in things so strongly! it makes my jaw drop!!!

Hers seemed to be to live consistantly with her beleifs- which amazed me- I'm not sure if that applies to every INFJ, but many that I've met have seemed similar in that aspect!

I'm not sure- it would totally depend on the social setting! :D

ooh- she belonged to things like the honors society, science club and liked to go to church and do charity work! :) I'd assume that other INFJs may have similar interests? :huh:

not frequently enough :cry:

the same as I always do! maybe a little calmer I guess- toned down a bit- don't want to scare the bejeezus out of them! :laugh:

probably that I'm loud, obnoxious and shallow :cry:- but at least quite a bit of fun! :) I generally hope that they realize that I don't have a malicious bone in my body, but I'm not sure that they do! :sad:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm wondering about that one myself... So Santtu, why do you want to know?
I remembered some type interaction chart, where certain kind of relationships were proposed for two people with particular MBTI code combinations.

People with opposite code to you are titled "anima", and those differing on the N/S dichotomy are named "neighbours" on this chart, for example.

I wanted to empirically test what kind of responses I would get for certain "MBTI type relationship". Opposite type seemed best to start, as I don't believe in this type relationship theory yet!

I think this study would increase our understanding of types, and this angle hasn't been covered yet.

I'm enjoying equally to find patterns and some outstanding elements that break the pattern :D

Then, I thought that many people in here share opposite types with each other, giving chance for discussion between the people.

We've had great responses too, and I'm enjoying the answers we've had. Is there anything you've learned from the responses?

I have! I'm seeing that some types are consistently seen as more understandable, regardless of whether they or their opposites are doing the evaluation. Other aspects of behavior are also better exposed when seen from both views. There are already some pairs of responses where people are evaluating each other's type. Don't you get the feeling that you've learned something when you compare them with each other?

Which reminds you, I have to redo my ISFJ evaluation. It's a disgrace because of some bad feelings, but I've had a day of time now and I can recall better things to say now :D

Camelopardalis

MBTI Type
INTJ
ESFP

A great person to be around! After a day of hardcore thinking and analyzing (which I enjoy more than anything), they're often people who can help me relax and discuss something light-hearted instead of gloomy politics.

Somewhat. I haven't research much on them yet.

They enjoy being around people so much...

Yes. My life is about that as well :D I guess I have some hidden ESFP qualities.

As mine is one of the most misunderstood types, I'd say they are more commonly understood.

I envisioned partying (the 'good' kind), surfing and travelling a lot :) Some ESFP's enlighten me?

I do see my father a lot. And my best friend.

I'm quite silly around them. My ESFP friends are actually the only people I'd let down my 'guard' and facade to (mostly because they're my closest friends) without feeling like an utter child and embarassed by what I did. Sometimes it's nice to let off some of my INTJ 'intensity' and 'seriousness'.

That would be for an ESFP to say.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Santtu:

I see where you're coming from. I've looked at those relationships... while some of them seem to make sense intuitively to me, others seemed a little forced. So I've tried to derive an "approach to life" relationship web theoretically rather than empirically... I didn't get very far in it though. Too much erasing/taking the whole structure down. old chart I made changes but didn't correct it on that chart. But you get the point.

We've had great responses too, and I'm enjoying the answers we've had. Is there anything you've learned from the responses?
Well... empirically testing seems to reflect what I derived intuitively. Opposite types... looking at it from a positive light are animus from each other. The ones we have the least understanding on because they're so different from who we are ourselves. However we can learn a lot from them, the use of our inferior function for example. The flip side of the coin though, differences can lead to negative interactions.

I'm seeing that some types are consistently seen as more understandable, regardless of whether they or their opposites are doing the evaluation.
That one I did not see. Care to explain in greater details of what you observed?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That one I did not see. Care to explain in greater details of what you observed?
I must have been sloppy, answers don't seem to indicate that when examined. I made a list:

ESFJ: individually more, as a type less understood.
ESFJ: about the same, but female ISTP is less understood.
ESFJ: more understood
ESFJ: more understood

ISFJ: well understood
ENTP: on forum, well understood

INFP: more understood

ESTP: more understood
ESTP: more understood when young, less when old
ESTP: more understood
ESTP: dunno
INFJ: depends

ISFP: less understood

ISTP: more understood

ISTJ: more understood
ISTJ: more understood

ESFP: more understood
ESFP: more understood

so.. mostly everyone is seeing other people more understood than them. This is interesting in another way; when people think they've figured out the essence of other people, they stop searching for me. In reality, there is more to most people's inner life than it appears.
This, put together, makes opposite types both people think they've understood the other person adequately, while making themselves feel inadequately understood.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
so.. mostly everyone is seeing other people more understood than them. This is interesting in another way; when people think they've figured out the essence of other people, they stop searching for me. In reality, there is more to most people's inner life than it appears.
This, put together, makes opposite types both people think they've understood the other person adequately, while making themselves feel inadequately understood.

It's not really that interesting, the sample is way too biased. What you can read into it is that N types think og themselves as less understood than S types, and I think it is true they are.

sui generis

don't fence me in
MBTI Type
esTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INFPs are pretty awesome, even if kind of shrouded in mystery. :)

Ha! Yeah. They're pretty self-contained and reserved unless they trust you. Even then, they're self-contained and reserved compared to some of us. :)

Their ability to fantasize/enjoy fantasy/escape from the real world. I'm not good at that and don't really care to be. I have no idea what it's like to have a whole other world in my head.

Altruism, idealism, Making A Difference, optimism, nurturing, sensitivity.

I think that they are more misunderstood by the world at large, but that my type is more misunderstood by people who are interested in Type.

I'd say social-justice-related or service-type groups.

I know a couple of them; they're much less common than EXTX types are, I think.

Carefully and respectfully at first; more comfortably and relaxed later (when they no longer find me intimidating :shock: )

You know, I have no idea. I know what individual INFPs think of me, but I have no idea what the group consensus would be (if INFPs make such things ;))

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
So, you've figured your opposite type. What you think of them? My opposite type is ISTJ. In theory I am somewhat intimidated by xSTJs, but in reality each person is different and so much more than their MBTI type, so I could probably happily get along with a lot of them. :)

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery? To me? Not really shrouded in mystery, though I'm sure there are a lot of things about living in this world as an ISTJ that are so foreign to me that I wouldn't even know about them unless they were explained to me, and wouldn't ever fully understand since I'm not an ISTJ myself. They do seem pretty different from me, but not in a very mysterious way.

What strikes as the oddest thing in them? I don't know if anything about them strikes me as particularly odd, but I don't really understand all the emphasis on scheduling.

Can you begin to understand what their life is about? Sure.

Do you think it's a more or less commonly understood type than yours? That's a good question. I think they are probably more commonly understood than ENFPs, since there are apparently more of them, and because many SJ traits are very highly valued in our culture here. But the fact that they are introverts may make them harder for some people to understand.

What kind of societies or groups these people participate in? The military.

Do you see those types a lot? I don't know, since I don't know most people's types. But if they are a type with a high percentage in the population, then I probably see them around.

How do you act around them? Slightly intimidated.

What would you think they think of you? I am probably shrouded in mystery. :smile:

autumn

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
ESTJ, my dad.

Not really... not a whole lot anyway.

His attitude about work. You got to do it, and you got to do it NOW. It seems cold :cry:

Work, family, so called "piller of community". My dad is like that too the max, he works really hard (lawyer), he is always telling his kids to get their work done, and he is a leader in his social circles (partner at law firm, president of the board of directors at country club).

More understood for sure.

Well... my dad is in the lawyer's society of Ontario or something like that, and he is a huge golf fanatic and very active at the local golf and country club.

I see my dad almost every day... I'm not sure about other ESTJ's.

Like myself.

Well my dad seems to think fairly well of me, but he also seems to have a slightly different idea of who I am than I actually am, in that he sometimes acts like I'm how he wants me to be, rather than how I actually am (i.e. "lets go golfing, you love golf :)" "No I don't, I don't want to golf")

heykitten

MBTI Type
INFP
You know, I have no idea. I know what individual INFPs think of me, but I have no idea what the group consensus would be (if INFPs make such things ;))
:peepwall:

heart

heart on fire
[What would you think they think of you?[/B]

I like your kitty, I know that much. ;)

heart

heart on fire
images

Just kidding... My brother-in-law is one, ESTJ. He seems dependable, hard working, practical, hard nosed on outside with softer heart underneath. He can be a bit overbearing and then later he might be apologetic about it. Very action orientated.

I don't totally understand him. Nor does he understand me, but he seems to think he does. He seems to find me both lacking and irritating.

Need to be sexually harassing to women and then gets offended if you avoid him because of it.

Work, family, tangible success,

More understood for sure and more valued by society as a whole.

traditional ones

I seem to, but know few well.

Closed off many times. Hard to find common ground. They have tendency try to invade too early, make assumptions and run with them. They also try to "push" me into some action they feel is imperative and that is guaranteed to turn my blood cold. They don't understand that I need time to warm up to communication and that getting too personal too fast or being crude with me is just going to shut me right down.

I seem to tick many of them off right off the bat, without opening my mouth at all.

Snowey1210

MBTI Type
ENTP
INFP=ESTJ

Interestingly, my best childhood friend happens to be an ESTJ. Probably not a strong one, but then again neither am I a strong INFP. What I like about them is that they are outgoing, and determined. What I don't like about them is that they can be extremely rigid, and attempt to make everything fit their agenda.

No, not at all. Really black and white to me, but perhaps there is more to it than I believe.

Their unwillingness to see things from a different light.

Yes in some ways, but to an INFP it seems unfulfilling.

A far more commonly understood type. I'm sure there is something beneath the surface but it doesn't show itself often.

Mine, Yours, any corporate building. Go getters is probably the best description I can come up with for the ESTJ. I'd prefer to reflect a bit first.

Yes. They are quite common.

More T-like. More Extraverted. I guess as an INFP I attempt to try to understand them by adopting some of their mannerisms.

Irrational, Immature, Awkward and Indecisive.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Bwahaha thread necromancy ftw.

I promised to write a better description of my opposite type, the ISFJ, when I had gained distance to them ( which I now have).
Tell me what you think of it! Just switch all your MBTI type code letters to the opposite and you'll have it. If you are unsure of your MBTI code, answer according to the MBTI type that seems least you..*

They're hard-working, idealistic people who work for the good of the society on a basic level. They go for service orientated jobs and genuinely enjoy doing service.

I still think that "mother" figure is well understood. But in closer discussions with them, there's a difficult battle of will and faith to stay protective, nurturing and caring. So I think they're deeper than they appear, and they might be easily taken for granted.

I'm curious where they get their strong ideals from. They're not subject to study, re-evaluation or anything like that. They just decide their thing is some kind of service, and it sticks. I can't understand the extent of dedication they do.

Uhh, helping, protecting, being a part of community by being valuable, steady and adhering to social standards.

Less, they're taken for granted.

They're the pillars of society. No I'm not saying I'm useless to society, just that I'm not a pillar;) So, they're behind the scenes mostly everywhere, but rather visible, as they take an active role in participating in what they do. They don't steal the spotlight, tho.

A little.

I try to get deeper with them than just realizing them providing me with something. I try to get into their psyche. I try to be appreciative of what they do, supportive.

Immoral, smart, a rogue, renegade, antihero, capable, con man, player.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
although this thread is probably not constructive at all, you should all at least remember that: the 'opposite' type is not the one with all the opposite letters, but the one with the same 1st and last letter, and opposite middle letters (ex. ENTP and ESFP)