• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

9 Q's of your opposite type!

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1. ISFP, if I'm accurately typed. I admire them. Coolheaded, especially the technical ones. The older and less foolhardy they become, the more likely I will place them in key positions. They bottle up frustration, go erubescent and explode -- but helplessly. No malice. Keirsey's right when he says that this type competes with ESFPs in terms of friendliness.

2. I don't. They're extremely lucid.

3. Their simple humor. Their eccentric but amusing tastes.

4. Yes, but it's often so straightforward that I actually can't concentrate on it for long.

5. No, and if individuals of this type specialize and excel in a trade, they are much more highly valued -- and, really, justifiably so.

6. The most typical associations within a culture or subculture. I've found every one in a design field, be it fashion, print or aviation.

7. Publicly, probably quite often. But their softness, especially that in men of this type, isn't immediately apparent.

8. Without any changes in behavior, though gravity lessens when they're around.

9. Many times more intense, more confrontational, more complicated; potentially aggressive and sometimes overbearing; but, helpfully, usefully directive and competent.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
also, if I may, I'd reccomend that to get beyond shadow-denying self-rightiousness, people think of the 'opposite type' in terms of behaviors in themselves that were unconsciously motivated and unnessicary. I'll start.
So when I was 15 I went to chamber music camp (I play violin), and there was this ESTP (perfectly decent kid) who ended up going out with a girl that I had a crush on. I ended up obsessing over this, and secretly dispising this ESTP, and justifying it by hating his confidence (so he was a little full of himself, who really cares). I actually fantasized about ways to ruin thier relationship (thank god I never acted on that) and railed about him to anyone who would listen, and I spent most of the time brooding about this shit.
What a shithead (me), right?

I promise I don't do that shit to ESTPs anymore.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
although this thread is probably not constructive at all, you should all at least remember that: the 'opposite' type is not the one with all the opposite letters, but the one with the same 1st and last letter, and opposite middle letters (ex. ENTP and ESFP)
With that definition of opposite. I provided my own definition in the OP :rolleyes:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
ESFJ

So, you've figured your opposite type. What you think of them?

I think they're malleable and flammable at best.

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery?

No I find they're shrouded in bubble wrap. Whenever I find them, they're covered with the stuff. I think they do it for safety reasons but it just doesn't seem worth it.

What strikes as the oddest thing in them?

Apart from the bubble wrap, they have webbed feet, giant vulture like shoulders and eighteen eyeballs.

Can you begin to understand what their life is about?

Yep. They live for desk lamps and car exhausts if I'm not mistaken.

Do you think it's a more or less commonly understood type than yours?

I pick option C.

What kind of societies or groups these people participate in?

Strange baby-devouring cults.

Do you see those types a lot?

Only in my very worst nightmares.

How do you act around them?

Like a Frenchman who's lost his bicycle. It completely throws them off guard so as I can make my escape.

What would you think they think of you?

They'd think I was a fine upstanding young gentleman with large tracks of land at my disposal and you know what? They wouldn't be far wrong.

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tell me what you think of it! Just switch all your MBTI type code letters to the opposite and you'll have it. If you are unsure of your MBTI code, answer according to the MBTI type that seems least you..*

*)you can answer with a template if your wish, for example ESXX! Of course, this makes the least sense if your type is XXXX..

I see. So what I wrote belongs in another thread. That's fine with me (and there is another thread now)
sorry.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I see. So what I wrote belongs in another thread. That's fine with me (and there is another thread now)
sorry.
Np, I'm actually interested to know how one would determine the most "opposite", of different "opposites" and how they would be different.

I didn't actually initially give much thought about different opposites. I don't want to confuse anything, but I remember thinking about this in my youth. What's the opposite of an elevator? Opposite how? According to what function, view, aspect of perspective? Something that moves material along a different axis? Something that doesn't move anything at all? Obviously we are doing worthless guessing here unless the purpose of the question isn't known.

Applied to MBTI and this thread's subject - how is such a type different that is formed by switching all the letters? What does it mean? Is this a useful concept, or are there more useful similar concepts available?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ancient thread revival! :D

I don't know very many of them, but based on what little information I have, I'd say that they're confusing and sometimes frustrating but generally well-meaning.
Sort of? Though there are other types that I find more mysterious/confusing than INFPs (like ESFPs).
They're like dreamy little kids sometimes.
Um... cultivating one's imagination and inner world? Being unique and creative and dreaming the impossible dream? I dunno.
:laugh: In the real world, less. On TypeC, MUCH MUCH MORE.
I'll bet it depends as much as it does with ESTJs. You can find ESTJs everywhere, doing pretty much anything, and considering the unlikely career choices of the INFPs I know, I guess they're like ESTJs in that regard.
Nope. I only know one or two. I know LOTS of INFJs, though.
The same way I act around everyone else. I try to be cordial/nice to each person I come across, and INFPs are no exception. One difference, though, is that I have to tiptoe around particular topics with INFPs, because when I try to use reason against something they believe, they'll get stressed and agitated while, at the same time, ignoring everything I said. And I'd rather not get into an unnecessary confrontation.
I think they like me okay.

Last edited:

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Cool thread idea, thanks for reviving :)

So my opposite should be the ISFJ.

I don't know real ISFJs, but then again, I don't know the type of most of my friends.
I think it's a very nice type. I've created a fiction character "to be my opposite" way before I knew of MBTI - and he's an ISFJ indeed. He was a challenging character to write, but then again he was rewarding too. I'm very proud of this one. He's brave, complex, just everything you wish for an important character.

No, not really. Looking at the opposite pole is very interesting to see the differences. It helps to understand the own type. The more I understand ENTP, the more I understand ISFJ and vice versa.
I've got more difficulties understanding the neighbours - especially ENTJ and ESTP. I haven't created any ENTJ or ESTP character yet.

Huh? You're mistaken. It's the ENTPs who are odd.

Yes. It's an "easier" goal. To understand, not to achieve. I've high respect for my opposite type.

I don't know. We are the open and outspoken ones, but I guess people won't see past our bragging and bantering, the 'cool' outside.
I think ISFJs would be seen as quiet, rather boring people. The everybody's neighbour, the lady at the baker's, the physician, the wife of your friend. Also in fiction (where I get most of my typology knowledge) they are the sidekicks, the loyal friends, the background people who support the story rather than carrying it.
Of course, this image doesn't have to be true. I've begun a story with an ISFJ main character, but abandoned that one because of a lack of plot. The character lingers in my head, though... maybe he'll get out again some day. Most of my stories have to grow that way.

No idea. I guess you'll find them everywhere.

Again, I don't know. Don't know the types of most people.

?!?
The usual way I guess?

I can see them sighing and shaking their heads when we'd rush ahead with all our ideas.
I can also see myself going back to them after a failure, seeking some comfort.

Edit. And know I'm going to look whether some ISFJ said something about ENTPs.

KDude

Not sure if know any ENTJs, but they seem to be even bigger "doers" than me, except in a wider reaching, achievement, hand over fist kind of way.

Probably. It's lonely at the top. Plus, they're like literally wearing something shrouded, sitting on high thrones in darkly lit areas. That doesn't exactly help.

That they actually mean well.

Probably rich, I guess. Thrones or hottubs, I think.

Not really. ISFPs don't communicate as much, so that balances out the rarity of ENTJ.

Illuminati, Majestic 12, Skull and Bones

Nope.

Haven't met any yet

As someone who can appreciate a nice hottub.

angelhair45

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm and ENFP my opposite is ISTJ
So, you've figured your opposite type. What you think of them? ISTJ aaaahhhh they are the bane of my existence. I have been surrounded by them my whole life. My step-dad, my younger brother, my mother-in law, my brother-in-law, and the church crowd. I also start acting like one in times of stress. I don't get along well with ISTJ's in authority, but I do with ISTJ male peers. I never fully open up to them, I've never met one who came close to understanding me.

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery?no

What strikes as the oddest thing in them? that people aren't as important as activities and stuff.

Can you begin to understand what their life is about? yes, but they can't seem to understand what my life is about.

Do you think it's a more or less commonly understood type than yours? Definitely more

What kind of societies or groups these people participate in? Church leaders! People in authority. Military. Everywhere!

Do you see those types a lot? Yes

How do you act around them? It depends. They can draw out my rebellious nature at time, other times I just keep myself a bit more closed up since they have trouble with my ENFPness

Childish, dreamer, lazy, unrealistic, wordly, rebellious, restless, asks too many questions, thinks for herself, difficult, argumentative, contrary, inconvenient, vain, messy, won't hurry up, proud, overly confident, and the one good thing, that they might all say is intelligent.

*)you can answer with a template if your wish, for example ESXX! Of course, this makes the least sense if your type is XXXX..

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you think of them?

I generally like them, especially the 8w9 ones. They can be a bit strange, and when I've debated with them some of their views can seem antisocial and alien to me. And it's really strange to debate with them because of that, lol. We just seem to have really different priorities. We seem to eventually meet at Ni and Se, but the Fi and Te different is really large.

One of my high school friends was an ENTJ, he was a really nice guy, even though his bluntness scared off some people (he really didn't like it when that happened, but he couldn't seem to help it. 16-18 year old Te dominance). It was fun to go out and do stuff with him. I liked how he always had something to say, I really liked talking to him about stuff; just anything really. I met him in chemistry class, and my teacher was using the MBTI test to group people together. I got INFP, and me, him, and an ENFP guy were the only other people that scored as N so we were put together. I think that our different skills worked well together in the class, and we started talking after working together for a bit.

Kind of. I think that both ISFP and ENTJ are shrouded in mystery in their own way, like every type.

From asking them questions, one of the oddest things about them is that they seem to have a really hard time with physical intimacy and intimacy in general. And like KDude said, that they actually do mean well (I hope so anyway).

Well, not really. lol

No idea. Education based societies? Like college alumni etc. Lots of ENTJs seem to be obsessed with learning and accomplishing stuff in school.

No not really. They are, afterall, one of the rarest types.

Depends on the individual. I just usually act like myself and see what happens with anyone.

HAHAHA, they'd probably think that I was weird and lazy in my personal life (but I get shit done at work); and that I am too apathetic about things. That I look at things too simply, maybe.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ISFJ, they are so very, very different to me.

Not really, but I do see them as having private depth.

Insisting on putting other people first even when doing so will cause them problems.

Having the same functions but in different order means that there are some similarities in how we approach things, we just have very different priorities. So I can begin to understand. It usually revolves around relationships.

There's more of 'em, that would count for something.

Mostly community based groups, if they have children than things that help run activities that they like. I also expect they'd often have a tight knit group of lifelong friends that they keep in close contact with.

I've only gotten to know a few on more than a surface level but it's not an uncommon type.

Cautious.

Impulsive, too rational, too unpredictable, too conceptual and too unfeeling.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm gonna answer this again with a better knowledge of my type, ENTJ.
ISFP. I think they enjoy the life, go to rock concerts, and they basically form the counterculture. I guess they are carefree of any rules and traditional measures of success. I guess they're the ultimate type with the "take it as it is" attitude.

No, I guess it's easily understood as the type that defines "underground". Some scheming, plotting and strategizing people are more mysterious. I guess their strive for easy living is quite understandable.

Uhh, how they can so concentrate on the simpler pleasures and ignore the big Game.

Culture, experience, living.

I don't know. There are books and books about people close to my type, but they concentrate mostly on impersonal issues. My thoughts go on and on about this, but I don't know.

Anything where there's big part on culture, experience and openness. They're probably at one of the most uninviting bars and clubs in the city, probably something with blackened windows.

No, not really. Sometimes I do. We haven't found many mutual interests until lately.
I'm myself, except that I don't go explaining my plans, theories or anything of the like. I try to enjoy my time and learn what there is to learn from them.

I guess they see me as the classical go-getter, bound to succeed in the traditional ways, decisive, goal-orientated, lacking spirit, lacking heart, being someone who represents the System.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What you think of them? i think they behave like there is someone watching them on webcam and the world will explode if they slack on the job or break the rules.

Do you feel that type is shrouded in mystery? no not at all.

What strikes as the oddest thing in them? the order of their priorities

yes

nothing particular to type that i can think of.

yeah i think so

a bit guarded.

totally depends on the person and how well they knew me but...generally i think i'm seen as nice...sweet...friendly...but difficult to understand and communicate with at times....i think they might view my priorities as childish or naive.

Liesl

INFP- I found them intense, engaging, creative.

Not particularly, they are very open with their feelings and emotions, although certain actions I found confusing. They also have an odd ability to attempt to become detached and uncaring when they are hurt, but warm and affectionate when they are loved and cared for.

I found it is best to be straightforward and logical with them, as I think INFPs don't respond to emotional threats and psychological manipulation unless they are sexually turned on by it. (don't ask...)

They want to be appreciated for who they are and not compared to us ESTJs who might lead more "conventional" lives.

Objectively speaking, I think we ESTJs are more often misunderstood. Our motives always have some sort of "symbolic" motive when oftentimes, we are being looked at through a macro lens- and the whole picture of who we are is overlooked and replaced with general stereotypes.

Most likely the INFP probably is drawn towards music and writing.

I don't, but my sister (ENTJ) knows quite a few of them.

Very carefully. Once they verbalize what they perceive as aggressive or hurtful behavior, I take care not to repeat it. I've also noticed that they can sometimes be sensitive towards objective commentary- which they think is uncaring, and unfeeling.

Probably arrogant arseholes, lol. But most of the time the INFP doesn't really recognize a true ESTJ, and if they do, they probably often mistake us for an INTP/ISTP.

I don't think I've ever seen a sensor-thinking type understand an INFP better. Kudos to you!

Last edited:

Liesl

My opposite type is ISTJ. There are some ISTJs that are very close to me, so I get to see a different side of them than what you would see upon first meeting them. When they love you, they can be adoring, patient, accepting of differences (if not understanding of them), and solid rocks that you can bank on when you are having a crisis.

Not really. It can seem that way because they're not quick to reveal personal information, but once you get to know them, their motivations are usually pretty explicable. They want stability. They want consistency. They want efficiency.

How small details changing can upset them and disorient them. They have this amazing ability to see details that I swear are NOT there. I genuinely mean it when I say I can't seem to see small details that they can, no matter how hard I concentrate.

For sure. I wouldn't say that I understand every ISTJ because I haven't met them all. But the ones I have met have wanted to provide a secure, logical life for the ones that they love.

I never feel like any of the types are really understood the way they want to be. Except maybe xSTPs because they don't seem to want to be understood very deeply. They seem to want to be accepted without having to go through explanations of themselves that they would consider invasive.

Oh, it depends. I think they value being in stable, secure groups where everyone does their part and everyone knows what is expected of them with their close friends. I would say local civic groups, religious groups, just 'normal' activities, but they put a lot of quiet devotion and commitment into them.

Yes!

I don't do anything differently. Except that I always try to clean up and make sure things are organized.

Very outspoken. Adorable. Adoring. Thoughtful. Brave.

Last edited:

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

That would be ENTP and generally speaking, they intimidate me. Mostly because they sometimes seem annoyed with SJ ways. There are exceptions to this though and with those I really find them fun and interesting.:wubbie:

Yes. So different from me.

Probably how much they enjoy iNtuition.

I think so but I'm sure they would disagree.

They can be quite zany, so, less. I think they are equally liked in society though. Plenty of people love zany.

Anything new and/or non-conforming.

I live near Silicon valley, CA, so yes I think so.

Like this >>> :shock:>> :huh:> nervous :cheese:

Either extremely annoyed or just ignore me.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
Hmm... ESFJ's.

In general, I like them, but don't have much in common with them (even aside from MBTI stuff). When in their company one-on-one I'm often a little uncomfortable -- as if I have expectations to live up to that I don't particularly understand, and have no hope of achieving.

No. Not really. I think that some ESFJ's aren't always seen to be as deep as they are, but in general I think that society in general understands and appreciates their qualities.

I'm thinking mostly of my sister when I say this, but their desire and appreciation to join groups and place themselves in public situations. I don't mean that I consider them "followers" (I don't), but in that it strikes me as alien to so freely associate within organizations, and more so to *choose* to and enjoy it.

I'd like to say yes, in that I think it's fairly "out in the open" -- much more than I am, certainly. So I think that I know what their lives are about. But understand? Not the word I'd choose. I think that to truly understand, I would have to be able to place myself in their shoes and internalize the ability to see things as they do, and with ESFJ's, I'm unable to do that for even a short period of time. That shouldn't sound as harsh as it does -- it's a failing of my own, not a condemnation of them.

Oh, easily a more commonly understood type -- no question. Perhaps not around this forum, but in general, absolutely.

Heh -- what sorts of societies or groups do ESFJ's *not* participate in? Professional and civic organizations, churches, etc.

Probably not as often as most people do, but pretty often. Lots of ESFJ's out in the world :). More now that I'm in more of a business environment then I did when I was in scientific research.

Um... like myself? I'm reserved and withdrawn -- perhaps more so around ESFJ's than normal, as I tend to only encounter them in "their world", where I'm not particularly comfortable.

Heh -- my guess is that you average ESFJ doesn't think much of me, at least not until they get to know me (and most probably not even then) -- which due to vast differences in interests and location doesn't happen often. Most likely they consider me too quiet, very dull, and uninvolved, although intelligent. Not a great deal of instinctive understanding either way :D. That takes work.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I get along with an ENFJ I see these traits: funny, silly, opinionated, stubborn, lively and intense. When I don't get along with one I see: overly sensitive, drama starters and as having "debbie downer" syndrome.

No

I can't understand what upsets them and what doesn't. It seems very random.

I don't know.

As a female ISTP I'm pretty misunderstood. I could see a male ENFJ having the same issues.

The Illuminati.

I have a good female ENFJ friend and the ENFP I hang out with regularly brings along her ENFJ male friend who rains on our parade almost regularly.

Same as I act around everyone.

Have to ask them

KiwiBurst

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
ISTJ. As a group, I don't know. I only identified two. Plus, it's not fair to judge them as a group. One is mean and abusive and the other is VERY caring and loyal. I love him.

A little yes. We have many differences.

I'm going to give a specific example. It's summer and my ISTJ friend decides to write an essay because he feels like he should be "working". He's writing the essay just to fill up time. He picked a random topic and just stuck with it. To me, that's a waste of time. What he SHOULD do (in my opinion), is ... pick a type of essay he wants to write (persuasive, argumentative, informational), pick a topic that he's interested in, write the essay, get it critiqued by an adult, and make the corrections. This way he's doing something productive, he's improviing his writing skills, and he's learning something new. Right now he's just torturing himself.

What? Were all human!

To be honest, I have no idea.

Engineering is filled with ISTJs.

Probably. ISTJs are supposed to be a common type.

Nervous.

My ISTJ guy friend said...
"You seem really quiet but when you start talking, you don't really stop." I found that funny and a tiny bit offensive. He also said... "You're a fun person."
An ISTJ girl said...
"You need to stop looking so confused all the time. Looking at your face just pisses me off."