• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Grouping NTs and NFs

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I think of similar MBTI types I myself thinking of the iNtuitives grouped like this:

ENFPs & ENFJs
INFPs & INFJs
ENTPs & INTPs
ENTJs & INTJs

In other words, I group the E/I NFs together and the J/P NTs together. I find an ENFP is more similar to the ENFJs rather than the INFPs.

Anyone else do this? Or perhaps with other types?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Grouping via CF similarity(J/P) seems good. So, yes, why is this?
I find an ENFP is more similar to the ENFJs rather than the INFPs.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my experience, ENFPs are much more like INFPs than they are like ENFJs, once you scratch the surface. Actually, I don't see how they are alike at all besides both being extraverted. And INTPs and ENTPs never seem alike to me, online or in real life. I struggle to see what they do have in common, most of the time. But I generally view the various NFs and NTs as distinct types. It's easier for me to group SJs and SPs into groups, probably because of my own bias and personal experience.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my experience, ENFPs are much more like INFPs than they are like ENFJs, once you scratch the surface. Actually, I don't see how they are alike at all besides both being extraverted. And INTPs and ENTPs never seem alike to me, online or in real life. I struggle to see what they do have in common, most of the time. But I generally view the various NFs and NTs as distinct types. It's easier for me to group SJs and SPs into groups, probably because of my own bias and personal experience.

What would be your groupings?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What would be your groupings?

Like I said above, I don't view the types as groups. But if I really had to group them, I would go by dominant function rather than temperament.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i don't have enough real life examples but from my online observation...i'd say no not so much...fi and fe are quite a lot more differentiating than e/i imo.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I usually group by dominant function

INFJ/INTJ = Ni
ESTP/ESFP = Se

etc

just because they seem to be more similar acting in consistent ways. Whereas everyones lives are differnt a Ni dom will always be a Ni dom, an Se dom will always be a Se dom... etc

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm a Keirseyan snob and would group them like this..

INTP/ENTP
INTJ/ENTJ

INFP/ENFP
INFJ/ENFJ

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seems like a pointless exercise. Not sure why anyone would want to.

G

Glycerine

You put ENFJ and ENFP together and INFP and INFJ together.
He put ENFJ and INFJ together and ENFP and INFP together.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I primarily focus on socionics, so I would group them-

INTJ/ENTJ (gamma NTs generally)
INTP/ENTP (alpha NTs generally)
ENFJ/INFP (beta NF)
INFJ/ENFP (delta NF)

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You put ENFJ and ENFP together and INFP and INFJ together.
He put ENFJ and INFJ together and ENFP and INFP together.

Someone didn't study transitive properties...

;)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think of them similarly to you, Mac. I had never thought about it formally, but those are the associations I tend to make intuitively based on overall vibe.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think of them similarly to you, Mac. I had never thought about it formally, but those are the associations I tend to make intuitively based on overall vibe.

The NT groupings make sense (just switching dom functions), but not the NF ones. I don't know why. I just find the INFs to be reserved and cool, and the ENFs to be forward and passionate. Maybe an online thing?

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The NT groupings make sense (just switching dom functions), but not the NF ones. I don't know why. I just find the INFs to be reserved and cool, and the ENFs to be forward and passionate. Maybe an online thing?

Might be an online thing. Also, it makes sense that you being an NT, you'd maybe have a better grasp of the inner nuances/differences between all four, whereas with the NF's you're looking more through just the external/behavioral window.

I do know that irl, I come across insanely differently from INFP's, and I can have difficulties connecting/relating to them. Whereas, ENFJ's are much, much less foreign to me, even though obviously the dom-Fe is a noticeable difference as far as some things go. It's more inner thought processes..so as to inner thoughts/perceptions, would def. lump ENFJ's with INFJ's and INFP's with ENFP's. There's not a whole lot in common between INFP's and INFJ's when you get down to inner workings and all of that jazz.

But as to my personal groupings, I don't have any across-the-board ones; I mean it really depends on whether you're looking at similar priorities, similar external behaviors/tendencies, similar modes of thought, similar social inclinations, similar etc etc etc... So yeah, there's just as much merit in grouping INFJ's and INTJ's together as there is in grouping INFJ's and ENFJ's together.. and so on.

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I do know that irl, I come across insanely differently from INFP's, and I can have difficulties connecting/relating to them. Whereas, ENFJ's are much, much less foreign to me, even though obviously the dom-Fe is a noticeable difference as far as some things go. It's more inner thought processes..so as to inner thoughts/perceptions, would def. lump ENFJ's with INFJ's and INFP's with ENFP's. There's not a whole lot in common between INFP's and INFJ's when you get down to inner workings and all of that jazz.

I totally agree with this! At first when I didn't really understand the MBTI I thought the J/P preferences are just variations of organized/messy people :D But no, it's actually a whole world of difference. Sometimes I feel I can understand INTPs way better than INFPs.

Fi NFs feel like members of a long lost sister tribe to me. I don't really understand their language, but we can understand each other through a shared sense of kinship.

If I really had to group, I'd go by the judging functions: E/I NFJ together and E/I NFP together.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always seen it like this, which I think is the exact way Mondo laid it out:

Group 1: NFJ's
Group 2: NFP's
Group 3: NTJ's
Group 4: NTP's

each group having an extroverted version and an introverted version. The two different types within each of these groups have the exact same dominant and auxiliary functions as each other, just in reverse order. Their top 2 functions are the same, which makes them a lot alike. They "extrovert" in the same manner and they "introvert" in the same manner.

The ENTP's I've known have literally seemed like extroverted versions of myself. The INTP's I've known have seemed like introverted versions of the ENTP's. Same goes with all the other groups.