• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Variations within Types

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
So, what appears as variations in type is really just variations in the sub-traits? I'd like to take a test that measured those sub-traits. I wonder how these sub-traits appear as behaviors in people that test as the same type(ignoring whether types really exist).

I'm also curious about possible additional aspects of personality that aren't included in these sub-traits. Are there other tests or theories that consider different attributes of personality?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
So, what appears as variations in type is really just variations in the sub-traits? I'd like to take a test that measured those sub-traits. I wonder how these sub-traits appear as behaviors in people that test as the same type(ignoring whether types really exist).

I'm also curious about possible additional aspects of personality that aren't included in these sub-traits. Are there other tests or theories that consider different attributes of personality?

According to the numerous factor analysis they did (mostly McCrae & Costa) they should that there are 5 main independent traits and 5-6 sub-traits within each one... The best measurement will be the NEO-PII which has been the best documented and "validated" (there are still debates as to what the last trait "Openness" is) in something like 20+ countries.

Edit: That's the gold standard for measuring the Big 5 including all facets of sub-traits.

marm

MBTI Type
INFP
According to the numerous factor analysis they did (mostly McCrae & Costa) they should that there are 5 main independent traits and 5-6 sub-traits within each one... The best measurement will be the NEO-PII which has been the best documented and "validated" (there are still debates as to what the last trait "Openness" is) in something like 20+ countries.

Edit: That's the gold standard for measuring the Big 5 including all facets of sub-traits.

Nightning, have you taken the NEO-PII? Has anyone here taken it? How would I go about taking it?

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Nightning, have you taken the NEO-PII? Has anyone here taken it? How would I go about taking it?

I have not personally taken the full measure... the NEO-PII is developed by McCrae and Costa... two personality psychologist. Below is the citation for the book... you can try looking for it in a university library or what not.

Costa, P. T., Jr., & McCrae, R. R. (1992). NEO PI-R professional manual. Odessa, FL: Psychological Assessment Resources, Inc.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP

It's important to note that FFM works from Traits, meaning measurable tangible effects via answers.

The factors that are listed are what they view as the main grouping of personality differences. Outside this groupings there are very few that are consistent (meaning less personality and more specific behavioral stuff, like disorders).

Effectively, what they did is ask a boatload of questions, did factor analysis to find the main groupings (the main five) which were a bunch of data points that were linked together - for the most part.

Meaning that one tends to have multiple + or - parts within the main trait. Of course, this variation is quite large in an individual (or can be, if you prefer).

Is there more to it? Yes. But in terms of measuring someone, you will overload if you step it up another level (which is not about adding just one or two traits, but a whole slew of them, all of which don't tend to apply to everyone... very difficult to measure that and in general specific tools measure them. This is getting out of my area of expertise, but I believe that is the jist of it).

You can find a... how do you say... short form test of just NEO here. It also has a scoring guide. No breakdown of note, however...

Far as I know the NEO-PII is controlled and has to be administered by a professional.

(I say this as I'm hunting for someone to administer KAIT, and it's very frustrating.)