• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tell us about your MBTI testing experience

How many different results have you received on MBTI tests?

Votes: 22 17.3%

Votes: 27 21.3%

Votes: 34 26.8%

Votes: 18 14.2%

Votes: 10 7.9%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 3 2.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have scored 9 different types over the years. I think someone else mentioned they scored 8.

The latest MBTI versions use facets. The facets reveal more of the person. ....Makes me wonder what results we'd all get, using all the versions of MBTI that ever existed.

As Jaguar has reminded us, MBTI is a system of 'facets' or one that employs a wide range of different personality descriptions to characterize one particular type. Furthermore, MBTI descriptions are often vague and vary from one version to another.

For these reasons, many MBTI users believe that they can identify with many different types and do not know what type they should regard as the most descriptively accurate. We also know that MBTI online tests ask very vague questions the answers to which are often contingent on a person's transient circumstances such as social environment, job title, mood and the impact of recent experiences. I invite you to take a poll where you may indicate how many different results you've received on MBTI tests and to brainstorm what, if anything, could be done to make a more reliable test.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ten years ago I took a (free) online MBTI test and was typed as ENTJ; my wife took the same test at the same time and was typed as INTJ.

Two years ago we both took a (not-free) comprehensive personality test from : PhD-certified Personality Test - Most Detailed Online Assessment (which was developed by phD's) and I was typed ESTP, and she was typed INFJ.

In our cases the differences in the results are actually quite reasonable. From my footer:

SENSING (S) 60% ||| intuitive (n) 40%
PERCEIVING (P) 51.43% ||| judging (j) 48.57%

I'm nearly balanced in N/S and P/J, and so it's not unbelievable that I could test as one or the other in either function, especially on two different tests with a ten year history threat.

My wife's results are similarly believable, her scores on I, N, and J are very strong, but on T/F she is nearly balanced.

So, in some cases variance as we have experienced does not appear out of order.

Do you think it possible for a person to test as the same type on other (non-folk) typology tests, possibly based on a system "superior" to MBTI?

Do you think it plausible for the same person to test as the same type on the same test with a decade in between administrations of the tests?

Do you think any typology system is 100% accurate?

If so, do you think a test that is 100% accurate and 100% reflective of a 100% accurate typology system can be developed? :thinking:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have tested as 7 different types over the course of my testing life... very rarely do I get the right result! my most common result is INTP, which is obviously not true :rolli: I also get ENTP, INFP, ENFP, INTJ, ISTP and ENTJ :doh:

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've only received INFP. When I take an mbti test (I've taken a lot of them, some several times), I know what each question is asking. Most mbti tests ask the same exact questions, just re-worded, and repeated. Unless you're unclear on your type and the test you're taking isn't a 'standard' mbti test, I don't see why anyone would get a different result unless they fudged it.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you think it possible for a person to test as the same type on other (non-folk) typology tests, possibly based on a system "superior" to MBTI?

Do I think it is possible for a person to receive the same personality test result in every assessment? I would think that this would be the most likely to happen for the Big 5 Assessment as the behaviors people of the Big Five types exhibit tend to remain consistent and easily measured. However, the test would need to emphasize people's behaviors that do reflect their typical behavioral inclinations. I noticed that some tests ask people questions like 'do you vote liberal or conservative' and your answer is supposed to determine whether you have high or low open-ness. In addition to that, I'd think that in order to receive the same results on a legitimate personality assessment, the test-taker would have to be self-aware and avoid changing his answers on the basis of transient circumstances, fleeting moods or conformity to his or her new social group. Lastly, somebody could get the same score by learning how the test works and convincing him or herself that they do have the type that they desire. For example, on INTPc we may observe people manipulating the testing system so they may 'come out as INTPs'.

Altogether, I think that self-aware people who take Big Five tests that ask questions about general behaviors rather than specific or idiosyncratic actions are likely to get the same result on every assessment. The fact that a personality system aficionado can get any result he'd like to get on every assessment is just an unfortunate example of a lethal flaw of all personality testing systems. Although some tests could prove to be reliable by documenting many test-takers who always get the same results, we should accept that fact with a grain of salt as we don't know if the test-takers are manipulating system. Thus far I was unable to think of a personality examination that is very difficult to manipulate.

Do you think any typology system is 100% accurate?:

I'd think that the typology systems that are humble and limited in scope or describe very simple personality qualities that are directly observable tend to be more accurate than those that are ambitious and speculative. For example, one reason the Big Five system is more accurate than MBTI is because it describes very simple features such as Conscientiousness and Openness. All Conscientiousness refers to is how diligent or task-committed a person tends to be on most occassions and all openness refers to is how open to new experiences people tend to be. MBTI on the other hand deals with incredibly complex abstractions such as Intuition which is sometimes referred to as big picture thinking, creativity, pattern recognition, abstract problem solving and even intelligence sometimes. Even more importantly, its much easier to empirically observable how open to novelty or conscientious someone is than to see how 'Intuitive' or creative/adept at big picture thinking or pattern recognition he or she may be.

I can't certify that Big 5 describes the personality features that all people have with impeccable accuracy, but it is the consensus of professional psychologists that its more accurate than MBTI.

If so, do you think a test that is 100% accurate and 100% reflective of a 100% accurate typology system can be developed? :thinking:

I'd have to say that this test would be neurological and that's the only assessment that could vindicate Jungian typology. Such an examination could tell us where a person's unconscious dispositions lie. I think its possible to develop some very accurate tests that are non-neurological, but they won't yield accurate results in every case, as after all, there will be human error on behalf of administrators and test-takers. We could devise the kind of a test that would accurately type people in the event where the administrators and the test-takers did not make mistakes. I would guess that the test would have to ask people strictly about their general behaviors and would be the most appropriate within the context of the Big 5 system.

Unless you're unclear on your typefudged it.

It's difficult for many people to be clear about their type because types are often defined in a vague and an incoherent fashion. In many cases one personality description fits multiple types very well.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have only tested as INFP until very, very recently. A month ago, I started taking various MBTI tests, simply experimenting, and repeatedly got INTP and occasionally INTJ as my type. Despite those results, I do still believe I am solidly an INFP :)

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Always get the same result but the preferences have moderated over the years.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So far: INTP, ENTP, ENFP, INFP, INFJ, INTJ.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
7 different types I believe....

I most often type some sort of SP, ESTP being most common I think.

ESFP, ESTP, ISFP, ENFP, INFP, ESFJ, ESTJ

(how one person's mood can vary from INFP to ESTJ baffles me.)

It would have been more streamline if the questions were more specific

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Altogether, I think that self-aware people who take Big Five tests that ask questions about general behaviors rather than specific or idiosyncratic actions are likely to get the same result on every assessment. The fact that a personality system aficionado can get any result he'd like to get on every assessment is just an unfortunate example of a lethal flaw of all personality testing systems. Although some tests could prove to be reliable by documenting many test-takers who always get the same results, we should accept that fact with a grain of salt as we don't know if the test-takers are manipulating system. Thus far I was unable to think of a personality examination that is very difficult to manipulate.

Interesting! I've never taken a Big 5 test. I will do that soon to see how it compares to the other tests I have taken...

I'd think that the typology systems that are humble and limited in scope or describe very simple personality qualities that are directly observable tend to be more accurate than those that are ambitious and speculative. For example, one reason the Big Five system is more accurate than MBTI is because it describes very simple features such as Conscientiousness and Openness. All Conscientiousness refers to is how diligent or task-committed a person tends to be on most occassions and all openness refers to is how open to new experiences people tend to be. MBTI on the other hand deals with incredibly complex abstractions such as Intuition which is sometimes referred to as big picture thinking, creativity, pattern recognition, abstract problem solving and even intelligence sometimes. Even more importantly, its much easier to empirically observable how open to novelty or conscientious someone is than to see how 'Intuitive' or creative/adept at big picture thinking or pattern recognition he or she may be.

I agree, the more abstract a concept, the higher the chance for it to be interpreted differently by different people. Keeping things simple is best whenever possible...

I can't certify that Big 5 describes the personality features that all people have with impeccable accuracy, but it is the consensus of professional psychologists that its more accurate than MBTI.

Interesting! Does it have as a big a "following" as MBTI? :laugh:
Not that the size of a given conept's following is indicative of its quality, just a joke. :D

I'd have to say that this test would be neurological and that's the only assessment that could vindicate Jungian typology. Such an examination could tell us where a person's unconscious dispositions lie. I think its possible to develop some very accurate tests that are non-neurological, but they won't yield accurate results in every case, as after all, there will be human error on behalf of administrators and test-takers. We could devise the kind of a test that would accurately type people in the event where the administrators and the test-takers did not make mistakes. I would guess that the test would have to ask people strictly about their general behaviors and would be the most appropriate within the context of the Big 5 system.

I'd love to take a neurological typological test, and agree with you that it would indeed be the uiltimate vehicle for maximizing accuracy and minimizing gaming by participants. It's kind of hard to make your body's tissues fake their composition, eh? :newwink:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have so many different results I keep track of them elsewhere for lols. Of the results I've kept, from most often scored to least:

INTP, INFP, ENFP, ENTP, INTJ, ESTP, INFJ, ISFP, ISTP, ESTJ.

So 10, that I can see. Quite simply I do not rate MBTI tests, they can be a place to start but that's all, tests based on cognitive functions have still given me multiple results, it's too hard to remain unbiased if you know the function behind the question but I do tend to score almost exclusively as INTP, ENTP or ENFP so the consistency appears better. With Sloan I am a lot more consistent although there is still some variance, and the results that I get align more with INTP than ENTP. The test that has best consistency and accuracy for me is the enneagram ones.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Interesting! I've never taken a Big 5 test. I will do that soon to see how it compares to the other tests I have taken...::

You could try this test, but many of the questions are garbage. http://www.outofservice.com/bigfive/If you keep looking, you may be able to find a more accurate and a reliable assessment. You could contact the psychology department of a big university, they may point you in the right direction, but you may have to pay for the test as most free assessments aren't much different from the one above.

InterestingInteresting! Does it have as a big a "following" as MBTI? :laugh::

I am not sure, but the following that it has is rather different from the influence that MBTI exerted. I know that there are many psychologists who believe that the Big Five model is both accurate and reliable, however, they tend not to use it for the same purpose the folk typologists employ MBTI. In other words, they don't treat it like a religious revelation or a fast and easy way to understand the most complex matters of personality.

Max Webber once argued that magic is the foundation of religion or one reason people become religious is because religion offers seemingly deep insights into profound questions of life. Scholars are rarely interested in such hocus-pocus because they know that it's usually too good to be true, yet MBTI folks are inclined to think otherwise. I think the post below provides an example that illustrates my point very well.

This is why I find MBTI to be far more insightful and interesting, if sometimes "less" reliable. It offers a far more comprehensive and intuitive insight into personality types, and as a result, provides more applicative knowledge for the student of psychometrics..

'Comprehensiveness' and 'intuitive insight' are the key terms here that serve as the fulcrum of modern-day folk typology.

I'd love to take a neurological typological test, and agree with you that it would indeed be the uiltimate vehicle for maximizing accuracy and minimizing gaming by participants.:
Me too, but I don't know if it exists yet. I think that neurological studies would need to advance a lot further in order for us to be able to pinpoint the exact brain processes that cause this or that mental process.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Like a few others, I've encountered diversity in MBTI scoring.

INFJ, INTJ, INTP, ENTP, ENTJ

The rub with MBTI is that the questions are self-modulating - once you understand the difference in score tally between answering "N" or "T" or "J", it becomes almost impossible to avoid injecting whatever flavor-of-the-moment bias one feels like entertaining. As such, final output is less about honest assessment than self-directing dishonesty. It can be a real pain.

So, my difficulty remains my propensity to adapt answers.

I'm not sure if I'll ever know my MBTI. Probably doesn't really matter.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I almost always test as either INTJ or INFJ, but I've also gotten INFP, ISFJ and ISTJ. INFP and ISFJ were flukes, but despite how little ISTJ fits me, I have tested as it more than once. My Si and Fe are more developed than in your average INTJ, so I can see how that would skew some of my test results. If I were to take the official MBTI test, I am extremely confident that I would either get INTJ or INFJ. Ni is definitely my Dominant function.

Unfortunately, these online tests aren't always reliable. They can be for some people (out of the five or six people that I've had take online MBTI tests, over half of them tested as a type that clearly fit them), but for many, further research and self-evaluation is necessary.

Last edited:

teslashock

Geolectric
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I always score either INTP or ENTP on the tests I take, so they must be accurate. You guys just don't know yourselves well enough. :coffee:

KDude

Usually ISFP, ISTP, and ESFP for me. Ti or Se dom are mistakes though. I'm neither when it comes down to it.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Solitary Walker, use your expertise and tell me what type I am.

I've gotten INFJ, INFP, ENFP, ESFP, ISFP, ENTP, and ISFJ...I actually even got INTJ once, but that's a crazy fluke I refuse to acknowledge it. I am definitely not any T type.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I only got ENTP once, but I really can't remember what test it was. I'm definitely INTP, though, and that's what most tests say.

But I agree that it's easy to modify your answers if you know what each question pertains to.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Years ago I got INTP. I then tested further (and wasn't honest with myself I think) so I got INTJ. Since over a half year, when I found back to those tests (and this time actually spent some time to understand them; before I took them totally wrong) I got always INFP. In one strange test however I got ISFP, but it was the only one.

With understanding the test better I think however that INFP is the only accurate result.

_dp

MBTI Type
enfj
Enneagram
1w2
I've typed as every J type except for ISFJ at one time or another on some test, while sometimes cognitive processes tests type me as an ENTP =]