• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tell us about your MBTI testing experience

How many different results have you received on MBTI tests?

Votes: 22 17.3%

Votes: 27 21.3%

Votes: 34 26.8%

Votes: 18 14.2%

Votes: 10 7.9%

Votes: 5 3.9%

Votes: 3 2.4%

Votes: 4 3.1%

Votes: 1 0.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
3: INFP, INTP, INTJ.

Of course I could always get INFP if I wanted, but when I answer truthfully, I don't get INFP.

H

Hate

I've taken several tests and so far the only results I've gotten have been ENFJ.... The only thing that varies are my percentages...

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I've gotten ESTJ and ISTJ. Now, with the knowledge that I have Asperger's, it's hard to know whether what the test considers "introversion" is just a representation of poor social skills/confidence in them, or if it is indeed introversion. Even after having observed people on this forum here for almost a year now, it's hard to know where I stand.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I think a lot of the trouble comes from the fact that most of tests look for function use. However, there is a very important distinction between function preferance and function order. That list of 8 functions associated with type is not a description of function preferance. Rather it is about how the functions are used, when they are used. The tests usually just look for which you use the most so they aren't really testing for type at all.

A better test would be more concerned with how a person uses each of the functions, rather than how much they use them.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I've gotten ESTJ and ISTJ. Now, with the knowledge that I have Asperger's, it's hard to know whether what the test considers "introversion" is just a representation of poor social skills/confidence in them, or if it is indeed introversion. Even after having observed people on this forum here for almost a year now, it's hard to know where I stand.

To be homest with you max, I'd be hesitant to apply rigid function theory to someone with aspergers. I'm not sure the theory really applies to them. As far as I can tell, it represents a problem with the instincts that most of us use to navigate life. Most people have certain understanding of facial expression, tone of voice and the like hard wired into a brains by evolution. In people with aspergers, these instincts seem to be missing or suppressed. Hence, they have to learn these things the hard way, without the head start most of us get.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
ENFP 3x's on the MBTI form M
INFJ and once, INFP, on the MMDI
INFJ, and a few times ENTP, on the congitive function assessments
eNFJ according to a counselor who is also a typologist

I'm usually ENP on forced choice assessments, and INJ on the graduated forms.

sculpting

Initially about 9 years back I tested as an ENTP, then an ENFP using an online test withing about a ten minute period. The ENFP description seemed a better fit, although lacked the aspects of analytical thinking that the ENTP description had that seemed to fit better.

This spring I took:
MBTI Form M-INTP slight on I/T
MBTI Step II-INFP slight on I/F
MBTI Complete-ENTP slight on E/T
MMTI-c 98% certainty of ENFP (Note this is the children's test and is based upon more simplistic function descriptions. It was developed from scratch.)

I did this all over a few days period. As a child/teen I would have tested as a strong introvert-thus likely an INFP. I would suggest you will see more variation of this sort with Ne doms over lifetime, the least perhaps with INTJs.

The reason I test as T so often is that the MBTI questions regarding what a "thinker" does are all things I highly "value"-responsibility, accountability, fairness, justice, recognition that an action in the short term may be painful for a few but best for the whole in the long run. I "value" logic, emotional detachment from problems, and incorporation of all data available to produce the most true answer. The most "true" answer is the most beneficial answer typically-thus I am obsessive about digging to find that "true" answer, even if it pisses people off or hurts my own feelings. My Fi principles are Te truths. Many male enfps I work with in executive/strategic roles seem to do this as well.

Assuming there is truth to the strict MBTI cognitive functional order-things like my "robotic Fi" are ways individuals can drastically alter how we use a particular function-we adapt it into a new tool, which breaks the MBTI mold and renders the test less useful.

Perhaps a fun Ne-ism...Which functions can be "adapted" most easily to look like other functions? By understanding which functions are most malleable, you should be able to predict the MBTI types that will be most likely to test incorrectly or test in a multitude of types as they mature.

KDude

The real point of contention for me is Ti or Fi...but it's simple if I just look closely. I use Ti in technical problem solving, and I use it both consciously and kind of unconsciously in athletic activities, etc.. (even then though, I still might go for certain creative or emotional impulses..). But Ti is not a fulltime thing for me, while with ISTPs it is. It seems like they're in Ti mode with everything. Therefore I won't type myself as ISTP. Even though we're close (Se/Ni?), there's enough of a difference that I see them as a different "type".

Everything else is simpler. I'm not really an extrovert. Also, anything with a strong Fe, Ne, or Te placement is a bust. That eliminates quite a few choices...and in the end, I'm pretty much left with ISFP. The tests are mostly accurate in my case.

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
To be homest with you max, I'd be hesitant to apply rigid function theory to someone with aspergers. I'm not sure the theory really applies to them. As far as I can tell, it represents a problem with the instincts that most of us use to navigate life. Most people have certain understanding of facial expression, tone of voice and the like hard wired into a brains by evolution. In people with aspergers, these instincts seem to be missing or suppressed. Hence, they have to learn these things the hard way, without the head start most of us get.

That's pretty much my thinking. I would've thought that with something as black-and-white and straightforward as the function system was as opposed to the more open-ended spectrums, that it would make my type more obvious, but I've found that that isn't really the case. I've spent so much time wondering what my type really was, when the reality is that in my case, it doesn't really make a difference. Being told, "You're an ISTJ, therefore you should be an accountant" or "You're an ESTJ, therefore you should be a corporate manager" doesn't help me at all.

KDude

ESTJs can be many things. I know a few, and none are really that much alike. There's general principles behind the things they do, but once we get in the realm of specifics (like "all these guys do this", and this type is good for accountants), it's just stereotypes and shit. I wouldn't worry about it. I was bugged with some things about isfp too, but don't let it get in the way.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
~15 years ago, INFP / INFJ, reflective of how close my P / J scores tend to be. Took a written assessment through a career counseling course, but unfortunately I do not know which version that was.

Last two years, some personal questioning of INFP / ENFP, due to the close scoring I generally get in the I vs E department as well.

INFP for me however.

How could the tests be improved ... I think after you have taken the test once or twice, you know what answers will influence the results, and this bias ensures that you'll never get a "true" result again. The subjective nature of the questions is the most problematic factor. My natural inclinations can be so conditioned over time it's harder to differentiate what is merely habit ... essentially nature vs nurture.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
That's pretty much my thinking. I would've thought that with something as black-and-white and straightforward as the function system was as opposed to the more open-ended spectrums, that it would make my type more obvious, but I've found that that isn't really the case. I've spent so much time wondering what my type really was, when the reality is that in my case, it doesn't really make a difference. Being told, "You're an ISTJ, therefore you should be an accountant" or "You're an ESTJ, therefore you should be a corporate manager" doesn't help me at all.

I think it would be best for you to focus entirely on the functions, not on the descriptions. An ESTJ with Asperger's is going behave differently than a neurotypical ESTJ. If you gain energy when you interact with people, you are most likely an Extrovert. I've seen some extremely Extroverted people with poor social skills. The two are not necessarily correlated.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I don't think it's likely someone with Asperger's would be ESTJ, in any case, given Asperger's generally causes more Ti-like behavior. The functions are ways to categorize thinking styles, not actual portions of the brain.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The first time I took a MBTI test was about 5 years ago, and first result I got was ISTJ. While it made sense that I'd get introverted thinking and judging, I wasn't quite sure about the sensing part. I considered myself to be quite pragmatic and practical, which is why I scored as a sensing type. However, I took the test again, and in other tests, I've flip-flopped between INTJ and INFJ. This trend has happened consistently, and still happens! Occasionally I've gotten INFP too.

I default to INFJ though. It feels like my home base, from reading the description of it.

Havane

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Well, I don't think it's likely someone with Asperger's would be ESTJ, in any case, given Asperger's generally causes more Ti-like behavior. The functions are ways to categorize thinking styles, not actual portions of the brain.

You're right. People with Asperger's are usually ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs. However, there are exceptions. ESFP is the only type I can't conceive someone with Asperger's testing as, since that would be so contradictory.

KDude

I thought Asperger's can be pretty hung up on collecting or organizing things.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Six for me when taking online tests: all four INxx types plus ENTP and ISTJ. When I took the "real" test with a career counsellor though, I did test INTP (though slight on J/P, that's usually been my closest score).

I think the standard tests with those 'pick one or the other' style questions that measure each preference individually suck. I don't know what would be a better option. Maybe a test could be created using descriptions of how people experience their functions, in their own words, and test-takers could rate these descriptions on how much they "ring true" for them.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I used to score intj regularly(i scored intj like 5 times or something), still do at the times, but better tests give me intp. Weirdest/only other type i ever had was isfj once

Max

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think it would be best for you to focus entirely on the functions, not on the descriptions. An ESTJ with Asperger's is going behave differently than a neurotypical ESTJ. If you gain energy when you interact with people, you are most likely an Extrovert. I've seen some extremely Extroverted people with poor social skills. The two are not necessarily correlated.
There is a lot of truth to what you've said, but I think you may be confusing the functions with the spectrums. A percentage or scale representing extroversion on one end and introversion on the other is a spectrum, whereas the functions like Te, Ti, Se, Si, etc. are more concrete and just come in a specific order, as opposed to there being a large gray area like with the spectrums. When you look at it in terms of the extrovert/introvert spectrum, it's really difficult to say where I stand personally with those criteria, such as being energized by others. I have other things on my mind, like how to do the socially appropriate thing. I like being with people though, I think I've just been ridiculed to solitude for the most part, which has made me more used to being alone and working alone. Most introvert criteria doesn't fit me so well, and the introverts on here, most notably ISTJs, come off to me as being more socially apathetic than I am.

It's interesting you should say that, because on the function test, my top functions always come out as Te and Si about tied, and Ti next. I don't particularly trust that test, but it is worth noting. If anything, I would think that the repetitive routines/activities would be most closely tied to Si.

You're right. People with Asperger's are usually ISTJs, INTJs and INTPs. However, there are exceptions. ESFP is the only type I can't conceive someone with Asperger's testing as, since that would be so contradictory.
Yeah, ESFP is usually linked with impulsiveness, while aspies are generally anything but impulsive- at least to my present knowledge. My least-used functions are Se and Fe- I pretty much completely lack Se.

I thought Asperger's can be pretty hung up on collecting or organizing things.

I could see how that may be Te-linked.

Also, keep in mind that I've only known that I have Asperger's for about 3-4 weeks now. It's a newly found discovery for me.