• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Motivate an ENTJ

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ok, lets forget the thread title, now that it's got your attention. I'm really looking for the top resources in self-motivation. I'd be ready to buy a book. Perhaps one with a philosophical treatment of the subject. Yeah, I'd use the book for my own good. No, I am not seeking motivation to build killer robots or anything of the like. Honestly.

Good books cost 50eur in here, which is a day's pay for me nowadays (after taxes, which are damned high), so I'm interested of finding the best deal (and philosophy) the money can buy.

So, what's your take on motivation?

If you've got an idea that doesn't involve a book, tell me that, too.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I was going to say "Get to work!"

Feel motivated? ;)

(Srsly, I will post again later upon a little reflection.)

Green Crack

MBTI Type
ENTP
The last person on this earth who should be buying a motivational book is an ENTJ. Just Saying. I'd give you some advice but i'd feel far to hypocritical.

Actually i will give advice, use the energy you're using to get motivated, to do whatever you were going to do once you got motivated.

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
Create a long term plan based on your vision of what you want to accomplish in the future.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
Now that's a challenge.

I don't know any good books, but I have a couple of ideas that don't involve books, so here goes.

(1) Let someone else know what your goals are. I always secretly made goals for my writing but I never reached them. Now that I've got those goals written down, somehow my imagination is much more constructive. Instead of imagining how nice it would be to write, I'm imagining characters and scenes, which is a lot more useful and fun to do.

(2) If you need to do something creative but the ideas don't come, don't wait for ideas while idling/playing video games/reading motivating books/visiting an internet forum (!). Your mind will start creating ideas about video games or meta-ideas about motivation or... which can be very interesting but won't get you ahead. Instead do the most mindless work you can imagine: cleaning, doing dishes, working in the garden... You'll see you'll have to drop whatever you're doing in no time in order to get on with your creative work. I've switched between preparing lessons and gardening often already and it works very well for me.

(3) Get an External Te. Wait, you've got one of your own already. Wake up that damn Te of yours, then! :smile:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Doing, using Te.. ye, I'm not sure if this falls in that category, but I'll tell anyway.

I thought of role playing games where you have some special items, and a description of their effects. I thought of listing stuff to do in a similar manner. So I got a list of things to do.. like

2 hrs: go cycling. This task will bring motivation, energy and joy.
1,5hrs: go work on your professional website. This will bring sense of professionalism and competence.

etc.

I kind of liked it.

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
In regard to books I would recommend Sun Tzu's The Art of War and Machiavelli’s The Prince, which if nothing else should provide some useful tools for chugging through daily life. These two works will often come with each other for a fairly good price and as both of them are within the public domain, they can also generally be acquired for free. While you're at it I'd also recommend that you acquire the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. Number 5 on the list below more or less explains why. The later book is not within the public domain but you should be able to find it for a few cents at any used book store. Now for the non-literary mentions:

1. Cheesy 80's Music: Believe it or not, investing in an IPod collection of cheesy motivational music from the 80's is a great way to build up energy. I not only recommend Eye of the Tiger, I Ran by Flock of Seagulls, and Push It to the Limit of Scarface fame but also the oft-overlooked Hearts On Fire of Rocky IV. Any sort of fast paced music will generally work for this.

2. Aerobic Exercise: Aerobic exercise is great for warding off physical fatigue and increasing the level of aggression-causing testosterone, which will often lead to a more competitive mindset. Anaerobic exercise is also beneficial for similar reasons in the longer term.

3. View Life as A Game: There is an oft-quoted theory that it takes 10,000 hours of work in order to master a particular discipline. You mentioned seeing life as an RPG. In that regard I recommend that you view even the most menial task as "Level Grinding" and the more complex one's as a game to be mastered. Anything becomes epic when you give it a cool name such as "Luck" or "Agility". Measure each of the skills required for the task at hand and give each of them an estimated experience points required for mastery or a required practice quota to meet the next level.

4. Set Daily Goals And Meet Them: Set particular timeframes until which you must accomplish a particular task. For example, if you have fifty items to place onto your online storefront, attempt to finish the task by 2 P.M.

5. Read About Required Skills: Reading a manual or guide on how to apply a set of skills may very well motivate you to test them out. This can be true for engineering projects, books on computer programming, pamphlets on the basics of musical production, notes on foreign languages, guides to starting a business, or anything else for that manner.

6. Read About Skilled Individuals In Your Field: Whether the person that you are reading of is a historical figure or contemporary master, reading about successful individuals can be inspiring. For instance, an unusually large amount of inventors have been inspired by reading of Thomas Edison in their youth, even down to the famed Nikola Tesla.

7. Create A Vision For Success: Whenever the current situation gets you bogged down attempt to the visualize the particular endpoint for which you are striving for. The Beatles, for instance, played for 178 nights within one year while they were first starting out, but at a large portion of each of these nights, they would allegedly play as if that night would be the event at which they would finally break out.

8. Self Hypnosis: The effectiveness of this technique will depend on your suggestibility. When you must finally sleep, plan what you will do as soon as you awake and repeat it to yourself. This has never failed in causing me to get to work at the beginning of the day.

The majority of these methods seem to appeal to Te, Se, and Ni.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
2 hrs: go cycling. This task will bring motivation, energy and joy.
1,5hrs: go work on your professional website. This will bring sense of professionalism and competence.
Wait... so you make a list with time-spans, activities and the outcome it will generate? And if you get, say, a half hour to spare, you look at it and choose one to do?
Wowza. That really sounds like a nice thing to do. I'll add motivators to my "to do list of boring work" :D Can someone come up with a motivator for "ordering lesson preparations"?

Edit. Writing this down prompted me to actually do it. What's that? Is my Te getting dominant aspirations? (*eyes suspiciously towards function*)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Does the task relate to your bigger scheme? :) If it does, the little piece of it will have the same motivators as the bigger one :)

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Lunarmoon, that is an awesome set of methods. I'll try many of them in the soonest occasion possible. I liked your book references too. I've known of every one of them for quite some time, but haven't got any of them yet.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Take heroin and engage in mindless sex everyday.