• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
These are not the droids you're looking for.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I may be missing something here, and this is not a dig, but if you didn't come here for typology, I am very curious as to why you joined a typology community?
Haha, nah fair enough point. I used to be more of a typology fan and I enjoyed the discussions in the forums (typology or not). So came here to see what stuff i could learn. What is tiring in typology forums is the unspoken rule that Ns are better than Ss. I'm not saying this applies to everyone because it definitely doesn't, but for many it still unfortunately does. You just need to look at some of the talk in 'mis-typed TC members' to see this playing out. It just becomes a tool for further discrimination. What i'm saying is clearly old news tho :p

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did a search yesterday and came across this which I thought applied perfectly here...I didnt focus so much on the men/women, but the concept behind it.

Quote:
We (men at least; it does not seem to hamper women at all) cannot debate, discuss or argue successfully or meaningfully if we do not agree to the meaning of the words or symbols we are using. Too often we (again men) argue to the death about something that a third party observer realizes is actually agreement in concept but using different words to say or describe the same thing; but, that neither party can agree on the meaning of the words that they are using. We are then in fact arguing semantics, which is meaningless, pointless and accomplishes nothing but raising tempers and levels of frustration however much fun and great a pastime it may be.

Good quote! Need to remember that!!!!!!

I voted for-

"Too many circular discussions - been there, done that."
"Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point."
"This is a great little community - that's why I'm here."

Reasons?

Well, it does get old discussing the same thing over and over again. And it also gets old because the usual debators are so set in their views that there isn't a point. It got to the point where I could predict pretty much exactly what the people were going to say next...

The forum goes through phases. The veterans stop debating, new people join the forum and start threads to debate and debate in other threads. Then those people get tired of it and leave, and more people come in to start more stuff up. I think we're in a typology depression right now, when the new people show up and ask questions is when the forum is booming with typology stuff. And when people start leaving is when it goes through a depression.

So I stick around because of the people here. I really like the community! I also stick around because of the enneagram. I haven't really found an enneagram forum that's much like this one. I also like being here because I like to debate. :D

I don't usually speak my mind on here, but I didn't vote that option because that isn't the main reason I don't participate much anymore (like the above ones are). But I don't usually speak my mind on here because when I do some idiot comes in to tell me how their opinion is better; or I sound like a dick (because I definitely can be with my views on people and things, so I normally just shut my mouth in most situations). Or I just get ignored, and the Ne dominant who's dominating the thread gets all of the attention over me and some of the others expressing their views. ;) Which I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to this post.

Very interesting perspective. :) Sounds pretty reasonable.

Mole

Permabanned
I may be missing something here, and this is not a dig, but if you didn't come here for typology, I am very curious as to why you joined a typology community?

I was invited to join by Geoff who told me this is a tolerant and well run community - and so it is.

But he told me nothing about MBTI. And when I discovered that MBTI is a vast and popular American cult, 70 years old, and based on a fake personality test, I was horrified.

I was though mildly mollified when they changed the name from MBTI Central to Typology Central.

My hope though is they will stop using 'typology' as a weasel word for 'MBTI'. And start to use 'typology' in its proper meaning which is the study of types - all kinds of types including personality types.

So this site is slowly evolving in the right direction and I'm evolving along with it.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Haha, nah fair enough point. I used to be more of a typology fan and I enjoyed the discussions in the forums (typology or not). So came here to see what stuff i could learn. What is tiring in typology forums is the unspoken rule that Ns are better than Ss. I'm not saying this applies to everyone because it definitely doesn't, but for many it still unfortunately does. You just need to look at some of the talk in 'mis-typed TC members' to see this playing out. It just becomes a tool for further discrimination. What i'm saying is clearly old news tho :p

Humankind will always find something to use to discriminate nevertheless :doh:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I was invited to join by Geoff who told me this is a tolerant and well run community - and so it is.

But he told me nothing about MBTI. And when I discovered that MBTI is a vast and popular American cult, 70 years old, and based on a fake personality test, I was horrified.

I was though mildly mollified when they changed the name from MBTI Central to Typology Central.

My hope though is they will stop using 'typology' as a weasel word for 'MBTI'. And start to use 'typology' in its proper meaning which is the study of types - all kinds of types including personality types.

So this site is slowly evolving in the right direction and I'm evolving along with it.

You seem to be referring to how people use, obsess over and ultimately discriminate with MBTI. I am certain that was not the original intent. But like learning to read, once we get past Dick and Dora in our first reader, we graduate to more and more complex reading.

With typology it is a starting point from which we will hopefully move on to a greater hunger to know more about what else there is that can explain our curiosities about ourselves and those with whom we interact??