• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Jaguar

I'm easily confused. Doing a little research, I've learned they:
- are largely solitary, stalk-and ambush predators
- are opportunistic in prey selection
- are a keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the population of prey species
- have an exceptionally powerful bite allowing them to piece the shells of armoured reptiles

So, do you identify with these attributes?

In a literal sense, not at all. You are making an issue out of 4 letters, again. Lol.
Relax. Have a friggin' martini.

Sunny Ghost

I'm easily confused. Doing a little research, I've learned they:
- are largely solitary, stalk-and ambush predators
- are opportunistic in prey selection
- are a keystone predator, playing an important role in stabilizing ecosystems and regulating the population of prey species
- have an exceptionally powerful bite allowing them to piece the shells of armoured reptiles

So, do you identify with these attributes?
:girlfight:

I don't know about Jaguar, but I feel that you might... :whistling:

Sunny Ghost

I don't typically mean to be... mean... but it just seems like it's been a lot of silly attacks. So what, if someone doesn't want to fill in the blanks with their personality type. One could simply ask the person what their type is and get to know them on a more personal level. And also, it shows a little bit about the person to fill in the blanks creatively. And as far as the off topic threads go, I feel like it's the same way with that. You can see a particular persons type in action, by the way they respond, the way they think, etc. It's all very fascinating in my opinion.

Sunny Ghost

oh, and yes, yes. of course you're a highlander. :) i like that avatar, btw. not to mention, i love INFP's. :D

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't typically mean to be... mean... but it just seems like it's been a lot of silly attacks. So what, if someone doesn't want to fill in the blanks with their personality type. One could simply ask the person what their type is and get to know them on a more personal level. And also, it shows a little bit about the person to fill in the blanks creatively. And as far as the off topic threads go, I feel like it's the same way with that. You can see a particular persons type in action, by the way they respond, the way they think, etc. It's all very fascinating in my opinion.

Well, it isn't meant to be an attack at all. I'm very sorry if it's coming across that way. It is really about authenticity, integrity, confidence in who you are - or something like that. I'm just not sure.

In either case, this thread has helped to elucidate why people change their type to those nonsensical things.

I'm a big fan of creativity in general. The off topic threads are sometimes the best ones :)

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
The problem is that we are not based on personality theory, we are based on MBTI.

For instance, a group of Australian psychologists has recently published a book on personality theory. And although it is exhaustive, it contains no mention of MBTI. And this is because MBTI is not a personality theory.

So if MBTI is not a personality theory, what is it?

MBTI is a confidence trick like astrology. And MBTI is a powerful and popular American cult, not unlike Scientology.

So caveat emptor - let the guinea pigs beware.

What an uninformed thing to say!! MBTI was developed and based on Jungian functions by Katherine Briggs and her daughter, Isobel Briggs Myers. Why was it developed?

Certainly not for pop psychology, but originally as an aid to fast tracking the re-entry into the workforce of women replacing men (who were away at war) during WWII. It assisted in quickly identifying aptitude and skill potential to best utilise the replacement workforce.

There are a variety of personality theories and tests - which would you have people believe Victor? Any of these tests singly or combined does not define who you are! Only you can do that.

In fact, when an MBTI administrator or an administrator of any of the psychometric instruments provides testing they emphasise that the descriptions are a guide only and, if people do not feel that the type fits them, they are advised to select best fit.

Any psychometric instrument does not tell the whole story - you do by putting together the pieces. MBTI is not the panacea for all but is an excellent starting place for self-reflection and often a good confirmation of skills and talents you may have.

It is certainly considerably better than some of the every-man-is-an-expert pop psychology that seeks to make money by telling linear thinkers that they can think laterally by following a linear technique and you can pay me several hundred dollars while I show you the process. Hullo!!!!

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What an uninformed thing to say!! MBTI was developed and based on Jungian functions by Katherine Briggs and her daughter, Isobel Briggs Myers. Why was it developed?

Certainly not for pop psychology, but originally as an aid to fast tracking the re-entry into the workforce of women replacing men (who were away at war) during WWII. It assisted in quickly identifying aptitude and skill potential to best utilise the replacement workforce.
That's helpful to know. Didn't realize that.

There are a variety of personality theories and tests - which would you have people believe Victor? Any of these tests singly or combined does not define who you are! Only you can do that.

In fact, when an MBTI administrator or an administrator of any of the psychometric instruments provides testing they emphasise that the descriptions are a guide only and, if people do not feel that the type fits them, they are advised to select best fit.

Any psychometric instrument does not tell the whole story - you do by putting together the pieces. MBTI is not the panacea for all but is an excellent starting place for self-reflection and often a good confirmation of skills and talents you may have.

How remarkably well said. :rock:

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.

I don't come here for typology. It's okay, and I look at some typology threads. I think there is something in MBTI and I don't completely disregard it, but I don't take it seriously either. I don't think i'd enjoy this site if all it ever became was typology thread after typology thread.

Maybe some people list their type to something nonsensical because they don't want their opinion to be disregarded by some idiot who thinks their type isn't deep enough or smart enough.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I don't come here for typology. It's okay, and I look at some typology threads. I think there is something in MBTI and I don't completely disregard it, but I don't take it seriously either. I don't think i'd enjoy this site if all it ever became was typology thread after typology thread.

Maybe some people list their type to something nonsensical because they don't want their opinion to be disregarded by some idiot who thinks their type isn't deep enough or smart enough.

I may be missing something here, and this is not a dig, but if you didn't come here for typology, I am very curious as to why you joined a typology community?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I mostly don't talk about typology but I'm glad I can randomly start linking it into other topics without getting the :huh: look that I would in real life.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I mostly don't talk about typology but I'm glad I can randomly start linking it into other topics without getting the :huh: look that I would in real life.

This is an interesting point - I have been talking about typology and learning styles for years to the disdain of a number of colleagues BUT when they attended a proscribed professional development course recently you would think that they just discovered on their own the best thing since sliced bread LOL :shock:

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses Work or school?
Those areas (grades K-12 especially in the U.S.) typically have more of a general focus and as people spend almost half of their waking life at these places it would be bizarre if they did only discuss the focus of these places at these places. This is comparable more to going to a literature meeting at the local library only to consistently get into knitting.

It seems like the "in" thing to do - to call yourself WILD or NANO or MILF. Haha. What's the point of your joke? I do think it takes away from the community. There are likely those who have been around longer who actually know - so in a sense it creates exclusivity as well.
Indeed. I find it ironic how people who are most obsessed with being different, both online and in the real world, are those who ultimately come off as being the most collectivist.
6af6f70daed83cabf515d3af05ca20b6.jpg

Goth-p1020646.jpg

To be legitimately different from others requires moral courage: the ability to share unpopular views and to be alone for it if need be. The majority of people wish to be special in a sense but a small minority possess the later trait.
I have you all fooled. I'm really a 70-year-old female ESFP.
I never would have guessed you to be a day over 69 from the picture in your avatar. :newwink:

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
MBTI is not in a vacuum.
Find the context in basicness.

In the way of an analogy.
I was in the porch in the morning. It was sunlight.
The house of the neighbour was only partially lit by sunlight.
Sunlight was obstructed by an obstacle ahead of it. My house.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I did a search yesterday and came across this which I thought applied perfectly here...I didnt focus so much on the men/women, but the concept behind it.

We (men at least; it does not seem to hamper women at all) cannot debate, discuss or argue successfully or meaningfully if we do not agree to the meaning of the words or symbols we are using. Too often we (again men) argue to the death about something that a third party observer realizes is actually agreement in concept but using different words to say or describe the same thing; but, that neither party can agree on the meaning of the words that they are using. We are then in fact arguing semantics, which is meaningless, pointless and accomplishes nothing but raising tempers and levels of frustration however much fun and great a pastime it may be.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I voted for-

"Too many circular discussions - been there, done that."
"Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point."
"This is a great little community - that's why I'm here."

Reasons?

Well, it does get old discussing the same thing over and over again. And it also gets old because the usual debators are so set in their views that there isn't a point. It got to the point where I could predict pretty much exactly what the people were going to say next...

The forum goes through phases. The veterans stop debating, new people join the forum and start threads to debate and debate in other threads. Then those people get tired of it and leave, and more people come in to start more stuff up. I think we're in a typology depression right now, when the new people show up and ask questions is when the forum is booming with typology stuff. And when people start leaving is when it goes through a depression.

So I stick around because of the people here. I really like the community! I also stick around because of the enneagram. I haven't really found an enneagram forum that's much like this one. I also like being here because I like to debate. :D

I don't usually speak my mind on here, but I didn't vote that option because that isn't the main reason I don't participate much anymore (like the above ones are). But I don't usually speak my mind on here because when I do some idiot comes in to tell me how their opinion is better; or I sound like a dick (because I definitely can be with my views on people and things, so I normally just shut my mouth in most situations). Or I just get ignored, and the Ne dominant who's dominating the thread gets all of the attention over me and some of the others expressing their views. ;) Which I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to this post.

Jaguar

I did a search yesterday and came across this which I thought applied perfectly here...I didnt focus so much on the men/women, but the concept behind it.

Clearly, this person has been observing TypeC squabbles:
We are then in fact arguing semantics, which is meaningless, pointless and accomplishes nothing but raising tempers and levels of frustration however much fun and great a pastime it may be.

:laugh:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I've been on MBTI forums since 2002, so I've seen most of the typological discussions and don't have a strong drive to rehash stuff again. I do enjoy the community of people who are interested in personality and social sciences and share a context of familiarity with MBTI.

I think MBTI can be a useful tool for self-discovery and facilitating understanding and communication between people (especially very different people) but beyond that, I don't take it particularly seriously.

I stick around because I've made some friends over the years and because it's entertaining.