• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
:yes: Things become to defined and we begin identifying values vs non-values and bring in personal values of values.

True and I know that I am not entirely right. But I know too that I am not entirely wrong and thats enough for me to give mbti the benefit of the doubt

in german its called: dangerous half-knowledge -.- :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I really like the values mbti presents and I can until today not get enough of reading entp profiles and learning new facettes of how life could be, but in real life the story is rather complicated.

I had that thing lately when my boss appointed me to project manager with the words that he thinks I am decisive enough for the job though I was thinking of myself I am anything else but that. And on another occasion, co-workers reflected me as the typical computer nerd, which is true but creates in the end an ENTJ/INTP hybrid with arcane powers and the paladin fear bubble.

All these reflections I received where for real, but I in the meantime I already had created an image of myself and my real self was quiet different from that and not even in a negative sense.

This is a personal problem of mine and I have the luck of having a wise enough gf to show me that discrepancy, therefore if everyone would have a wise partner at hand too, I'ld be cool with mbti.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
True and I know that I am not entirely right. But I know too that I am not entirely wrong and thats enough for me to give mbti the benefit of the doubt

in german its called: dangerous half-knowledge -.- :)

I dont believe half-knowledge is dangerous unless you need or want something to rely on.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I really like the values mbti presents and I can until today not get enough of reading entp profiles and learning new facettes of how life could be, but in real life the story is rather complicated.

I had that thing lately when my boss appointed me to project manager with the words that he thinks I am decisive enough for the job though I was thinking of myself I am anything else but that. And on another occasion, co-workers reflected me as the typical computer nerd, which is true but creates in the end an ENTJ/INTP hybrid with arcane powers and the paladin fear bubble.

All these reflections I received where for real, but I in the meantime I already had created an image of myself and my real self was quiet different from that and not even in a negative sense.

This is a personal problem of mine and I have the luck of having a wise enough gf to show me that discrepancy, therefore if everyone would have a wise partner at hand too, I'ld be cool with mbti.

:yes: That matches the perception I get from an ENTP I work with who is in a project lead position.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya it maybe is an entp thing too of on the one hand being interested into mbti and on the other hand having a wanting knack for being recognized as an independent thinker.

Well fuck that, mbti aint that bad, I think I only have issues with people who really rely on its contents 100%.

We should indeed again have more conversations on the content of mbti. The ones we had back then were inspiring on a daily basis

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The biggest issue I find here is that surface is confused with who we are personality wise in regard to the functions. We get confused and lost in the transition from surface to deepness. Because there are more then one way to skin a cat we end up with a many to many relationship in regard to surface to internal. This is the disconnect I see. We really need a surface personality and an internal personality and be able to distinguish the 2 before we can even start to understand types any better then what do right now.

gromit

likes this
The biggest issue I find here is that surface is confused with who we are personality wise in regard to the functions. We get confused and lost in the transition from surface to deepness. Because there are more then one way to skin a cat we end up with a many to many relationship in regard to surface to internal. This is the disconnect I see. We really need a surface personality and an internal personality and be able to distinguish the 2 before we can even start to understand types any better then what do right now.

Interesting... when you say surface personality and internal personality, do you mean that we each have two four-letter types? Or that each type incorporates two different types of people? Or is it independent of MBTI type?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Interesting... when you say surface personality and internal personality, do you mean that we each have two four-letter types? Or that each type incorporates two different types of people? Or is it independent of MBTI type?

When we base things on what people do it is surface level, when its based on how we internally are its internal. I think each person is a single type, but because of the methods we use to go about deciding type we have brought it into the world of surface level and now have a mixture of surface vs internal.

gromit

likes this
Ok that makes sense to me. How can we describe/define something we cannot see directly though? I guess that's the real question of all of this...

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was thinking that there also seems to be a trend in authoritarian personalities critisizing types and telling others their types are incorrect based on their own interpretations of typing and the functions.

I find this fascinating. There are some that are so utterly confident in their ability to ascertain somebody's type based on their writing. I wonder how it is they are so confident and admit to being a bit curious as to what techniques they're using. There might be something we could learn from them or at least there could be a discussion on exactly what they are doing so we can critique the validity of it.

I will once again turn on my pre-recorded message that I've written many times (lol), but I view the 16 types as 16 'trends' or general ways of being/approaches to life. They are categories/TYPES, after all. To think everyone on this planet is going to relate 100% to one and only one seems a bit presumptuous; what about those who are somewhat between one or two?

It's not a popular view here but this is one reason something like MBTI Step 2 is good because it gives you a little more granular insight. I'm surprised so many people don't think it's worth the $90 given how much time they spend on this forum and how much their time is worth. In either case, you have to take this stuff with a large grain of salt because it just gives you some general ideas of how somebody might be anyway.

I agree; I wear my INFP badge with pride. Yet, I only list my type off and on. I do find that people use it inappropriately as a data point, or rank it as qualitatively more important than what I say - and instead of listening to what I say, they look at my type and extrapolate from that rather than the other way around. Still, even when I don't list my type, you do have a data point for reference, just not the one you "want" Highlander.

Be cool, don't worry if the letters aren't listed. You don't like it because you lose that data point; instead just read what people write instead of needing to categorize it by type all the time.

Personally I don't come here to be an experiment where you all push buttons to see what reaction is elicited.

It is annoying to lead a cogent discussion and have someone say "all you INFPs are emo anyway, don't try to tell me otherwise" or alternatively, rep me that I must be an INFJ (presumably because I am insightful or "care" about others).

Is it really like that for you? That is, are people treating you differently because of what type you have down? Maybe you do a better job of noticing.

Really, the "experiment" comment seems a bit uncalled for. Who is pushing buttons to see what kind of reaction they can elicit?

To me this is more than just annoying - it is prejudice in the true meaning of the word - to prejudge! Not quite up there with prejudice against all members of a religion or race or country, but certainly on the way and just demonstrates lack of maturity on their part.

Again, disturbing if people are being treated differently because of type.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
-circular discussion, it gets really old.
-it's almost too general to the point of seeming too aloof and unrealistic.
-there are a lot of intellectual and close minded people here..sometimes I can't say what I think/feel.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I already said, I don't wish to be a guinea pig for ridiculous confirmation bias.

Well if you want the benefit of being part of a completely voluntary conline community based on personality theory, you should also accept some responsibility in turn to the collective whole that comes with that with that, and allow yourself to be a bit of a "guinea pig".[/I]

+1000

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Of course people will read into things because of your displayed type, that's only natural but by displaying your type you can help prove those assumptions right or wrong. The more varied the members of each type are the deeper and more nuanced our understanding of each type will be.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am unique. I believe this leads to better understanding.

Well, of course the flaw in this argument is that we humans in practice have proven to have a remarkable ability to not understand each other. It's why MBTI was invented in the first place - because a lot of people suck at this. :)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Is it really like that for you? That is, are people treating you differently because of what type you have down? Maybe you do a better job of noticing.

You don't have to take my word for it ... simply change your type to INFP and see what happens. See if you don't notice a shift in how your opinion is weighted in the whole equation.

I am surprised that you are surprised people are treated differently around here based on type.

As I said, I have had my type displayed and not displayed. Probably 50/50. I don't hide it intentionally; but when in prominence, I notice a change. Even when I have listed my type as xNFP I believe there's a difference.

And to your "+1000" ... disappointing, although truly I do appreciate your perspective and desire to just see my type at a glance. And I know why.

But I am in no way obligated to display it by participating here - if you want to know my type, after all, I never "conceal" it, it's in my blog for the forum to see.

Jaguar

You don't have to take my word for it ... simply change your type to INFP and see what happens. See if you don't notice a shift in how your opinion is weighted in the whole equation.

How could anyone possibly miss something so pervasive in this forum?

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Only an ENTP troll with INFP hater tendencies could miss that obvious truth of this place.

Or, someone who is a gerbil biker from hell:

gerbil.gif

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
lol... I have my type visible BECAUSE of the prejudices on the site... if my type were thought of better I might have something smartass there :cheese:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's also old news. I remember that awkward moment when INFPs from Global Chatter were thanking me for confronting people (particularly BlueWing/Solitary Walker) about dissing INFPs all the time. How long ago was that now?

INFP is a bit of a slur here. It's maybe the most disliked type that isn't an SJ.