• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
This is really good. :)

;) It is good isn't it. I think most of us who have types in the smaller percentage of the pop would wish this.

I use this in my classroom with students across cultures, religions and age groups. They ask lots of questions and some actually learn to value the talents they have instead of wishing they were more like someone else.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses Work or school?

I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses non-work related subjects. 'Work' and 'school' would propably lose their meaning. I agree with the op.

1-because people except me to behave a certain way, Like I couldn't possibly be informed about certain topics, or that I ought to be hugging everything that moves and have empathy for everyone at all times.

Why would you care about what people expect from you?
You don't dare to behave differently from their expectations, and you don't even realize it.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I voted that I am here for other reasons than typology... If it was only about typology, I wouldn't have sticked around. It gives an interesting frame for the discussions, so it is better than just some general forum.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
;) It is good isn't it. I think most of us who have types in the smaller percentage of the pop would wish this.

I use this in my classroom with students across cultures, religions and age groups. They ask lots of questions and some actually learn to value the talents they have instead of wishing they were more like someone else.

Why that almost sounds like self development :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, this is a typology forum? :doh:

I do post much less topics about typology. In fact, I can't remember when I made my last topic. I feel content with the knowledge of typology I have gathered and should probably just move on and leave this forum. Apart from responding to other peoples topics, I have not much to the pool of threads myself.

But I got stuck here do to the forum having nice members to kill time with.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
What I am seeing here is that you perceive yourself as a collective. You may want to have that checked. Once you stop doing that, we'll be on the same page. :hi:

1.) The fact that you voluntarily choose to be part of a collective online communtiy in order to articulate these thoughts rather than sitting at home thinking them to yourself, is in itself a refutation of your ultra-individualist philosophy.

In a deeper sense,the clothes you are wearing were collectiely made, so was the food you eat, so was the technology you are using right now, so were all the theories you espouse. You are the result of social processes, as well as having an individual consciousness.

There are over 6 billion people in the world. The ones most obsessed with how "unique" and "impossible to categorize" they are, are often the least interesting, and certainly not "unique".

You really should get your anti-collectivist philosophy "seen to".:newwink:

2.) A more simple point, but related to the last: nobody forces you to be part of an online community devoted to MBTI - a very marginal interest in society - so why are you so adamant that such a forum should not introduce rules relating to its fundamental purpose? (it's not as if MBTI type is irrelevant to a typology forum).

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with this wholeheartedly, though it would seem quite a lot of the long-standing mods are type-less or type-confused, which is kinda funny.

To be honest, I don't get people who don't identify with a type yet yearn so eagerly to fit into one, well, I guess I get it, but I find it completely pathetic. :sad:

See, and while I think it's great that some people really DO identify 100% with a particular type, I think they are more in the minority anyway. I will once again turn on my pre-recorded message that I've written many times (lol), but I view the 16 types as 16 'trends' or general ways of being/approaches to life. They are categories/TYPES, after all. To think everyone on this planet is going to relate 100% to one and only one seems a bit presumptuous; what about those who are somewhat between one or two? Those who aren't as extreme in one of their preferences as another person of the same type is? It seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone will identify with bits and pieces of several - hence, their ambiguity with their own type and perhaps as a result their extension of their ambiguity to the usefulness of the system in its entirety.

This isn't to say that that person doesn't 'fit best' in one of the 16, because he/she probably does, but it's easy to get caught up in the detailed profile descriptions and other conflicting info on the net, and lose touch of the larger 'concept', if you will, of what the type embodies.

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
Wait, this is a typology forum? :doh:

I feel content with the knowledge of typology I have gathered and should probably just move on and leave this forum. Apart from responding to other peoples topics, I have not much to the pool of threads myself.

Please no. :cry:It is clear to me you have gathered a lot of knowledge by your posts. We need the wise, and as well as the inquisitive. Responding to other people's topics is essential here. I would be missing another complex point of view, not previously thought of, were you to leave. I'm not sure how serious you were, but nonetheless, I find myself somewhat alarmed. You bring a lot to this table. That is not an opinion, merely a fact.:yes:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I am just wondering if everyone at your work or school only ever discusses non-work related subjects. 'Work' and 'school' would propably lose their meaning. I agree with the op.

Why would you care about what people expect from you?
You don't dare to behave differently from their expectations, and you don't even realize it.

Why is it always the INTJs?? :huh: :laugh:

I am just saying everything to do with people expands beyond it's purpose eventually. Or it contracts to such a level that it becomes so specialized it's almost useless.

Guess what is more likely to happen to an online forum with a limited subject?

I don't care what people expect from me unless they matter.
The thing is .. I don't come on here to be misinformed or judged by people who can't see beyond their own puny constructs. The people who matter to me know my type or don't care.
What most people do when they are bothered by a pest is exterminate the pest , or remove what attracts the pest. I simply choose to be preventive rather than reactionary in this instance.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I have to know what you are like 20 years from now. :D

Actually, I grow concerned with the answer to that question. Tater's unbridled explorations sometimes delve into interesting places and still, even for that, I don't feel he is "in" his true authentic self. Sometimes it's good to forget the "N" for a while - embrace the "S". Go to the park. Paint a fence. Let the mind soak into that activity.

Tater is still trying on different clothes to see which feel "right" I suppose.

What I am seeing here is that you perceive yourself as a collective. You may want to have that checked. Once you stop doing that, we'll be on the same page. :hi:

And Tater, we are not the Borg. Even though resistance may be futile. ;)

:hi: LOL. You've always seemed like a total INFP to me. It's those artistic little doodles and pictures your aways making.

OMG this is clearly an emotive response, and as such it can only be treated as Fi! See how he emphasizes his own activity, trying to find meaning and personal authenticity ? Obviously INFP.

Jag, I personally welcome you to the INFP stronghold. I shall change my type now to MEEE. :D

Bite me, Hitler. :D

I shall be a hell-raising enneagram 8 INFP. Has it ever been done? If not, I'm there. Screw convention. :D

I am a peace-making hell-raiser myself. Again, welcome to the club!

I used to feel the same way; I was aghast and affronted that someone would frequent a typology forum and not post their type! It's going in the other direction, it's anti-learning, it's setting bad examples!

But why do you think most of the people who post something other than their type have typically been here a long time >6 months, or else have experience being judged by their type already when they come here (infps)?

I agree; I wear my INFP badge with pride. Yet, I only list my type off and on. I do find that people use it inappropriately as a data point, or rank it as qualitatively more important than what I say - and instead of listening to what I say, they look at my type and extrapolate from that rather than the other way around. Still, even when I don't list my type, you do have a data point for reference, just not the one you "want" Highlander.

I just remind myself that most people never even bother to read and reflect before responding anyway.

Exactly. To me, it almost tells you more about someone to see MILF as their type instead of their type. I mean would Jaguar be the same if you saw ENTJ under his avatar? He's totally WILD or BITE. :) Just as an avatar can give you a different perspective than someone's pic. A pic is more representative of exactly how a person looks, but is that really important? A false acronym is just another way for someone to express him/herself. Why is that frustrating, I wonder? It just makes me more curious most of the time.

Good point aphrodite.

Highlander
RAWR

Highlander:
COOL

Be cool, don't worry if the letters aren't listed. You don't like it because you lose that data point; instead just read what people write instead of needing to categorize it by type all the time.

Personally I don't come here to be an experiment where you all push buttons to see what reaction is elicited.

I think we should live up to the thread title!

unrelated_dolphin_735.jpg

That made me laugh.

I do agree with the OP though, there has been much less of interest to me lately, and not much about typology, and I'm not sure why.

Maybe the honeymoon is over.

Then, occasionally, I still see a discussion that piques my interest; I think the waxing and waning of participation is simply this way.

I guess I'm more interested in practical application of the theory - how it applies in daily life in interactions between people.

Me too, but here, here on the forum - being reduced to some derivative stereotype of the type is asinine.

It is annoying to lead a cogent discussion and have someone say "all you INFPs are emo anyway, don't try to tell me otherwise" or alternatively, rep me that I must be an INFJ (presumably because I am insightful or "care" about others).

I am so much more that those 4 letters (of course)! And yet, those 4 letters, when I discovered them - they answered questions I didn't understand without them. It's a great paradox.

David Keirsey's little narrative at the beginning of "Please Understand Me II" is a good place to start.

It is a nice little poem. :)

gromit

likes this
Well, I joined the forum a couple months ago because I was interested in MBTI, and I've found the cognitive processes stuff particularly interesting/relevant. I'm still learning about everything, but it appears to be a useful language or angle from which to discuss the experience of being human.

I like the non-typology topics too, because people reveal a lot about themselves in how they respond to different things, in terms of what they value, how they think about things, etc.

I also just think everyone here is pretty great and that there's a lot of collective life wisdom and experience.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Please no. :cry:It is clear to me you have gathered a lot of knowledge by your posts. We need the wise, and as well as the inquisitive. Responding to other people's topics is essential here. I would be missing another complex point of view, not previously thought of, were you to leave. I'm not sure how serious you were, but nonetheless, I find myself somewhat alarmed. You bring a lot to this table. That is not an opinion, merely a fact.:yes:

Yikes. You flatter me. :D

I'm not actually leaving by the way, I just said that I am not contributing as much as I used to, to making new topics. When others make a topic of interest I will ofcourse still post in the typology sense. :smile:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
It is annoying to lead a cogent discussion and have someone say "all you INFPs are emo anyway" or alternatively, rep me that I must be an INFJ (presumably because I am insightful).

To me this is more than just annoying - it is prejudice in the true meaning of the word - to prejudge! Not quite up there with prejudice against all members of a religion or race or country, but certainly on the way and just demonstrates lack of maturity on their part.

I am so much more that those 4 letters (of course)! And yet, those 4 letters, when I discovered them - they answered questions I didn't understand without them. It's a great paradox.

Absolutely agree with you there - the first Typology test I did was when researching distinct character similarities among exceptional students who had left brain/right brain balance with aptitude for the arts AND technology. I stumbled on Keirsey before I trained to administer MBTI and temperament was a revelation to me.

If I can use type to help one student discover themselves and have faith in their abilities then I classify it as a great tool.

Just like the fractal avatar of the hand tho, there are varying degrees of preference in each dichotomy from slight through to very clear, it is all of the bits that are subsets that make us individuals and allow us to wield our potential in different ways.

On the old self-scorable Form M there are 78 questions and the results may then generate an expanded interpretive report. Consulting Psychologists Press can direct you to a range of resources at CPP.com - they hold the rights to the MBTI.

It is a great little poem. :)[/quote]

R

Riva

Don't care what people think, what their opinions are. I try to make it clear if they have wrong opinions. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not.

Anyway, I love this forum baby.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
Rather than see the 4 letters and thus cram what an individual says into that preconceived notion of the box, should one not read what someone says and use that info to EXPAND the very box itself?

I think, generally speaking, people reduce the boxes to seem much smaller than they actually are.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Rather than see the 4 letters and thus cram what an individual says into that preconceived notion of the box, should one not read what someone says and use that info to EXPAND the very box itself?

I don't understand this.

If I tell you my agre, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, income bracket, occuation etc., none of this will mean I am purely defiend by those things. they simply add a context ot ones udnerstanding of a person.

If this were for example a forum about religion, it would make sense for one to list ones religious orientation as a a type. This wouldn't mean your whole life were reduced to that. If it were a forum about work, it would make sense to list your occupation. Again, this wouldn't mean your whole existence is reduced to that. Likewise any other "special interest".