• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If we all agreed with each other's theories/ideas that would be an awfully BORING forum, doncha think?

I said some consensus. Like there is consensus on many things about evolution, but not everything. Discussing it would be impossible, in fact there would be no theory to speak of, if there wasn't any consensus on evolution at all.

That being said, with personality type, total consensus would be a good thing, under the rather bold assumption that the system being used did not require any correcting, and was fine just the way it was. I know that's pretty unlikely, but the point is that if peronality type serves a purpose, it is one best served through consensus. It would actually make a forum like this USEFUL if such a thing existed, and probably somewhat harmonious. It would only be boring if you think the only way to remove boredom is with aggression and confusion.

H

Hate

"Judge me not on the letters of type....But on the content of my character."

-Martin Luther King Jr. on MBTI type.

G

Ginkgo

Thumbs up

"Judge me not on the letters of type....But on the content of my character."

:thumbup:

You just scored like 9000 points on my interpersonal game of tetris.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fixed

"Judge me not on the letters of type by the color of my skin....But on the content of my character."

Jaguar

:hi: LOL. You've always seemed like a total INFP to me. It's those artistic little doodles and pictures your aways making.

Bite me, Hitler. :D

OMG this is clearly an emotive response, and as such it can only be treated as Fi! See how he emphasizes his own activity, trying to find meaning and personal authenticity ? Obviously INFP.

I shall be a hell-raising enneagram 8 INFP. Has it ever been done? If not, I'm there. Screw convention. :D

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of the reasons it bothers me when longstanding members don't share their type is that it takes away from a typology forum's focus on typology. I don't think it is setting a good example for the rest of the members.

If you don't know your type, it's a different thing.

There, there, now it will all be okay. I felt just like you did before I changed my type to my funky 4 letters. :smile:

I used to feel the same way; I was aghast and affronted that someone would frequent a typology forum and not post their type! It's going in the other direction, it's anti-learning, it's setting bad examples!

But why do you think most of the people who post something other than their type have typically been here a long time >6 months, or else have experience being judged by their type already when they come here (infps)?

Most of the ones I know that have some other acronym for their type, including myself, have delved deeply into typology at some point and surfaced a changed person, or realized that, for one reason or another, MBTI type does not really reflect the essence of them for whatever reason, and choose not to be branded by it.

If you can search beyond those 4 letters you might ask yourself why someone would want to do this. It isn't the end of the story, it isn't because we are cowards, and I do not think that INFJ under my username could represent me any better than my candid posts or comments (which few respond to I might add).

And, as Magic said, the lack of consensus about typology pretty much deletes any common ground for discussion, and predictably turns those threads into arguments over just WHAT we mean by typology, as there are so many current theories in play.

What, pray tell, would you like to discuss about typology, Highlander? I'm all ears.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There are thousands of people on this site. I don't understand what's with all the authoritarian thinking lately...there seem to be a bunch of people popping up and complaining about irrelevant things which don't concern them...like whether or not every single person names their type, or if every discussion is about typology, or if some people you don't even know are arguing in the graveyard.

I mean...live and let live unless it directly hurts you in some way.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There, there, now it will all be okay. I felt just like you did before I changed my type to my funky 4 letters. :smile:

I used to feel the same way; I was aghast and affronted that someone would frequent a typology forum and not post their type! It's going in the other direction, it's anti-learning, it's setting bad examples!

But why do you think most of the people who post something other than their type have typically been here a long time >6 months, or else have experience being judged by their type already when they come here (infps)?

Most of the ones I know that have some other acronym for their type, including myself, have delved deeply into typology at some point and surfaced a changed person, or realized that, for one reason or another, MBTI type does not really reflect the essence of them for whatever reason, and choose not to be branded by it.

If you can search beyond those 4 letters you might ask yourself why someone would want to do this. It isn't the end of the story, it isn't because we are cowards, and I do not think that INFJ under my username could represent me any better than my candid posts or comments (which few respond to I might add).

And, as Magic said, the lack of consensus about typology pretty much deletes any common ground for discussion, and predictably turns those threads into arguments over just WHAT we mean by typology, as there are so many current theories in play.

What, pray tell, would you like to discuss about typology, Highlander? I'm all ears.

Well, you do have a calming effect and way with words. I think I'll respond tomorrow when I'm less tired.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I think the OPs makes some good points. Have not read all of the posts so if I have repeated anybody than my apology in advance.

I like typology and find it interesting and a useful tool. What this place does to stimulate me as far as typology is not so much the amature opinions of what they thing is typology. Rather it is essentially a bunch of guinea pigs or gorillas in the mist being observed. Naturally a lot of people have mistyped themselves but a lot of them are at least close. If someone doesn't feel comfortable about sharing there type I am comfortable with it. Its kind of annoying to think someone would intentionally mistype themselves but regardless those inaccuracies are included in the equation.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
don't understand what's with all the authoritarian thinking lately.
Boy, it is terribly authoritarian to tell someone that their views don't match reality, isn't it? Galileo must have been a one terribly oppressive bastard for criticizing the geocentric cosmology of the church. Did Socrates deserve his hemlock after all?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its kind of annoying to think someone would intentionally mistype themselves but regardless those inaccuracies are included in the equation.

Exactly. To me, it almost tells you more about someone to see MILF as their type instead of their type. I mean would Jaguar be the same if you saw ENTJ under his avatar? He's totally WILD or BITE. :) Just as an avatar can give you a different perspective than someone's pic. A pic is more representative of exactly how a person looks, but is that really important? A false acronym is just another way for someone to express him/herself. Why is that frustrating, I wonder? It just makes me more curious most of the time.

The only place it could get truly confusing is in a typology thread with new members, and in that case, they can just ask if they so desire.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Boy, terribly authoritarian to tell someone that their views don't match reality. Galileo must have been a one terribly oppressive bastard for criticizing the geocentric cosmology of the church. Did Socrates deserve his hemlock after all?

It just worked out well for those guys. There are plenty of cranks who do the same thing while being completely wrong.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There are thousands of people on this site. I don't understand what's with all the authoritarian thinking lately...there seem to be a bunch of people popping up and complaining about irrelevant things which don't concern them...like whether or not every single person names their type, or if every discussion is about typology, or if some people you don't even know are arguing in the graveyard.

I mean...live and let live unless it directly hurts you in some way.

Actually, I don't think at all that every discussion should be about typology. A mix is great. In fact I quite enjoyed the "Female Buttocks Appreciation Thread". :devil: I've also recently enjoyed the one on the oil spill. The dumb tests get me every time.

It seems like the "in" thing to do - to call yourself WILD or NANO or MILF. Haha. What's the point of your joke? I do think it takes away from the community. There are likely those who have been around longer who actually know - so in a sense it creates exclusivity as well.

Why anybody cares who argues in the graveyard - no idea on that one.

Well, guess I have repeated myself enough already on this stuff. :workout:

Jaguar

He's totally WILD or BITE. :)

I have you all fooled. I'm really a 70-year-old female ESFP.

lyn_ruth_miller.preview.jpg