• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

KDude

.. I think I discuss typology quite a bit. A lot of it might be in between the lines and all that (discussing some other subject, like entertainment or relationships), but it's there. It's everywhere, man.

I don't discuss MBTI in the wall-o-text fashion that some do, but that's because I'm "stupid" :hi:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There's already so much material on typology here...you could just read about it.

Jaguar

I don't see the point in people putting something other than an MBTI type as their type. Don't shout at the world "I refuse to be categorized!" while being on a forum specifically for that purpose.

Where could you have possibly gotten the idea that this forum was created to categorize people?
Ivy has made many a post in the last year, or so, about why this forum was created. I assure you, it was not to categorize people.
This forum is a place for discussions and the expression of viewpoints, as long as they are not used to intentionally harm or insult others.

People have every right to come here and discuss typology without being hounded, coerced, or bullied over what "type" they may, or may not, be.
If you can't respect the rights of others in that regard, you better rethink your position.

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Where could you have possibly gotten the idea that this forum was created to categorize people?
Ivy has made many a post in the last year, or so, about why this forum was created. I assure you, it was not to categorize people.
This forum is a place for discussions and the expression of viewpoints, as long as they are not used to intentionally harm or insult others.

People have every right to come here and discuss typology without being hounded, coerced, or bullied over what "type" they may, or may not, be.
If you can't respect the rights of others in that regard, you better rethink your position.

I don't think people should be hounded to "pick a type" or be told what type they ar by others unless they ask. I am competely against that. One thing is if you are unsure of your type. Obviously I respect that. X in place of a function should be an option. MILF or whatever in place of all your functions should not.

One thing is to be unsure of ones type, another is to reject the idea altogether that you could be a type, or to know ones type but refuse to say and instead put something silly in the Type-field.

Let's not confuse the two things.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As a self-help tool, I think it's utterly useless. It doesn't tell you anything about how to improve your own strengths or weaknesses, because it doesn't clearly qualify your personality like O.C.E.A.N. does. And if it doesn't tell you about your own strengths or weaknesses, how can it tell others about how you should find a niche in life? It just gives you a list of functions, which don't dictate behavior, but rather dictate psychological 'preferences'. There's no way to effectively use this thing. People would be better off taking multiple intelligences tests, or attending self-help seminars if they don't already have a grasp of what they want in life.

I actually don't agree - for one reason. Maybe it's an anomaly. Maybe it's a placebo. I've used it for years from a self development perspective and found it worthwhile. People are better off doing a lot of things but as one tool in a toolbox I think it can help.

"Know Thyself" - Inscription From The Oracle of Delphi

G

Ginkgo

.. I think I discuss typology quite a bit. A lot of it might be in between the lines and all that (discussing some other subject, like entertainment or relationships), but it's there. It's everywhere, man.

I don't discuss MBTI in the wall-o-text fashion that some do, but that's because I'm "stupid" :hi:

It might just be a sign of intelligence to be short and sweet. There's only so much time in life. Would it always be intelligent to allocate it for the purpose of text-walling? I don't think so. Pride yourself. :)

G

garbage

not addressed to anyone in particular, but if you're reading this and if the shoe fits, then make it addressed to you

1. there are things like the "mistyped members" thread and "what's my freakin' type" threads where you can bitch about (or uh discuss, i guess) people being mistyped, if you actually want to do something about that sort of thing, and
2. oh my god so many little details just arent right and they piss me off they gotta be fixed they gotta be fixed

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't think people should be hounded to "pick a type" or be told what type they ar by others unless they ask. I am competely against that. One thing is if you are unsure of your type. Obviously I respect that. X in place of a function should be an option. MILF or whatever in place of all your functions should not.

One thing is to be unsure of ones type, another is to reject the idea altogether that you could be a type, or to know ones type but refuse to say and instead put something silly in the Type-field.

An input validation routine should work nicely. Maybe fewer people would invent "cute" types of their only choices were the 16 and XXXX.

G

Glycerine

not addressed to anyone in particular, but if you're reading this and if the shoe fits, then make it addressed to you

1. there are things like the "mistyped members" thread and "what's my freakin' type" threads where you can bitch about (or uh discuss, i guess) people being mistyped, if you actually want to do something about that sort of thing, and
2. oh my god so many little details just arent right and they piss me off they gotta be fixed they gotta be fixed
lol, +1000. For a long time, I was obsessed w/ fitting to a T. I am 100% sure what my type is. I just don't like the negative connotations of my type being slapped on me.

G

Ginkgo

I actually don't agree - for one reason. Maybe it's an anomaly. Maybe it's a placebo. I've used it for years from a self development perspective and found it worthwhile. People are better off doing a lot of things but as one tool in a toolbox I think it can help.

"Know Thyself" - Inscription From The Oracle of Delphi

This. I'm sure you could get people who've attended psychic readouts who said that they were astonished. Ultimately, you're the one finding meaning in the toolbox. You're the one using it as such. I could probably read Moby Dick and find some ethic or meaning to define myself by, and live myself just as happily. I bet you could too. You could probably find some utility in a rerun of The Simpsons as well. While you may not think so now, just you wait... just you wait til you see Mr.Burns and say "Wow, that's so me!" :D

KDude

It might just be a sign of intelligence to be short and sweet. There's only so much time in life. Would it always be intelligent to allocate it for the purpose of text-walling? I don't think so. Pride yourself. :)

Don't worry, I have pride.. I couldn't possibly call myself stupid if that was not the case.

My real point though is that I tend to avoid abstract, theoretical discussion. I'll gravitate towards the concrete or anecdotal, and see theories play out in a personal way. MBTI discussion can be indirect, and need not be limited to an area with a big sign that says "MBTI Discussion". If some recognize that, they can enjoy this site more. I mean, you get to interact on a variety of subjects with all kinds of types. It's fucking cool. What's not to like? :thinking:

G

garbage

for that matter, everyone should list their real Locations, damn it

Mole

Permabanned
This. I'm sure you could get people who've attended psychic readouts who said that they were astonished. Ultimately, you're the one finding meaning in the toolbox. You're the one using it as such. I could probably read Moby Dick and find some ethic or meaning to define myself by, and live myself just as happily. I bet you could too. You could probably find some utility in a rerun of The Simpsons as well. While you may not think so now, just you wait... just you wait til you see Mr.Burns and say "Wow, that's so me!" :D

I think, Tater, you are becoming truly wicked.

G

Ginkgo

Are you specifically soliciting Jaguar here? You still haven't told anyone why one ought not to have MILF in their box. Who cares? (besides you).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

So you're suggesting that it can't be used to help you understand yourself better? From this perspective, you're comparing it to a psychic readout or the meaning within Moby Dick?

Jaguar

X in place of a function should be an option. MILF or whatever in place of all your functions should not.

If people want to list WARM, COLD, FREE, or even PISS, SHIT, or DICK as their type, I don't care.
(FREE and DICK are already in use. )

Last time I checked, the ghost of Joseph Stalin doesn't run this forum.

G

Ginkgo

So you're suggesting that it can't be used to help you understand yourself better? From this perspective, you're comparing it to a psychic readout or the meaning within Moby Dick?

All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.
-Friedrich Nietzsche

There is not one big cosmic meaning for all, there is only the meaning we each give to our life, an individual meaning, an individual plot, like an individual novel, a book for each person.
Anais Nin

Who's writing your book?

tcda

psicobolche
MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
Are you specifically soliciting Jaguar here?

No. Please don't try to stir up trouble needlessly.

You still haven't told anyone why one ought not to have MILF in their box. Who cares? (besides you)

Judging by your type you cared enough. Though to be honest I find it quite funny - I take my hat off to you for that one. :laugh:

However, I don't get why you are so up in arms about your right to put a silly 4-letter word as your type, on a forum devoted to a topic you don't believe in to begin with. Way to fight oppression, man!

(hint - within a social group to which membership is compeltely voluntary and which deals with a very marginal interest unknwon to 99% of society, establishing rules to faciltiate the stated purpose of the group, is not an act of oppression. That goes for Jaguar too).