User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    nnja
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    C) guard yourself against the mentally retarded that take it too seriously when interacting with you.

YES.
    "Don�t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive." - Howard Thurman

[SIGPIC]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l110/evillinclinations/fortune45.gif[/SIGPIC]

...and yes, I'm still on about that...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Yloh View Post
    People go to forums because of community. Sure MBTI is what brought us here in the first place, but people are social creatures and enjoy talk about other things.

Perhaps if you want to have a more intelligent discussion about the theory you should post some threads about the theory itself.
    Well that makes sense. I'm more interested in application of the theory - slight nuance. Point taken however. Those of us who want more discussion on these things need to start more threads on it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so much variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

1.) I don't see the point in people putting something other than an MBTI type as their type. Don't shout at the world "I refuse to be categorized!" while being on a forum specifically for that purpose.

Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.) I originally joined the forum due to some stress and wanting to talk psychology in order to understand things better. I have found the forums very useful when reading posts by a few members knowledgeable about MBTI, who can point to people to read and explain things about why certain types work certain ways.

Having said that I admit that nowadays I don't talk that much about MBTI, because simply put, I don't know if at this stage, it offers that much room for expansion beyond what most of us know about it. It's good to see how the theory can be applied empirically etc. and to share experiences, and I enjoy posting on a forum where I can share that frame of reference with people.

But as theory I don't think it's been developed to a level where much more can be discussed on it than "the obvious". I think this will be the case until functions theory seeks a serious unity with the sciences (both natural and social) - and I don't mean crude empiricism, but scientifici-philosophical theories about the rules of how the universe works, and applying there to human psychological development.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Just for fun, I try reading the poster and formulating an opinion. FWIW, 80% of the posters here have mistyped themselves - not as what they are, but what they'd like to be. It's interesting to watch - the characters that do not give out type have probably twigged this at some level.

How accurate do you think you are in forming these opinions?

There is probably some percentage that fall into the category you describe but 80% seems awfully high.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so mauch variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.
    All communication is like that. It's just one lovely facet of how we work. It has its ups and downs. But if everyone were to be using the same models and modes of understanding, then we would all be in a consensus and life would get boring. Like feeding the same gruel to everyone, everyday. I prefer some choice, and I think everyone else should have some choice in how they form their own conclusions. There would be nothing to talk about with a consensus because everyone would be in the same house of understanding.

Smile Hands Across the World

Of course this is a Typology Forum. Just look at the title above. It says Typology Central.

It does not say MBTI Central.

And this is all to the good, for as children we need MBTI to orientate ourselves in the world, but as we mature we put away childish things.

For as children we believe whatever we are told by Carl Jung, Mrs Briggs and her daughter Mrs Myers and this powerful American cult.

And as we grow from children to our full height, we learn to tolerate cognitive dissonance. And we discover cognitive dissonance leads us to new things.

But growing up is hard to do. And so we seek company and support. We reach out across the world and find hands reaching out to us.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    1.) I don't see the point in people putting something other than an MBTI type as their type. Don't shout at the world "I refuse to be categorized!" while being on a forum specifically for that purpose.

Being categorized as part of a collective whole doesn't make you cease to exist as an individual human; just as refusing to categorize yourself as part of a collective doesn't suddenly mean you are truly an individual beyond categorization and above the fact that humans are defined by their interaction with social groups and fill a finite number of roles with regards to said groups.
    Exactly.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    My problem with it is that everyone seems to use their own framework or little definitions, there is so much variety that there is no real opportunity to reach any sort of consensus or conclusions. People just end up talking past each other.
    I agree.
    That frustrates me, too.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Not everyone will find the same purpose for something to be used. There were designers who devised purposes for this website, but they knew that not everyone was going to abide by those. Not everyone who attends a Catholic school is going to be Catholic. Not everyone at a homeless shelter is going to be homeless. Don't tell anyone what it's bad to break some De Facto rule that has nothing to do with forum administration.

Humans are only defined by other humans, and since all humans form subjective judgments, they cannot objectively judge other humans. The essential qualities of a human cannot be flawlessly defined. I don't think people think they will "cease to exist" if they are defined. It's quite the opposite. It's more like the definition doesn't properly denote who they are, and no definition ever will. However, we do make judgments about ourselves and others so that society can adjust and treat us a certain way. So it's up to us, as a society, to determine whether our judgments are ethical or conductive to our growth. Is the widespread usage of MBTI conductive to our growth? Does it actually work in a professional atmosphere? Does it hamper people when they're pigeon-holed? Does it foster people's strengths? What does it do?

As a self-help tool, I think it's utterly useless. It doesn't tell you anything about how to improve your own strengths or weaknesses, because it doesn't clearly qualify your personality like O.C.E.A.N. does. And if it doesn't tell you about your own strengths or weaknesses, how can it tell others about how you should find a niche in life? It just gives you a list of functions, which don't dictate behavior, but rather dictate psychological 'preferences'. There's no way to effectively use this thing. People would be better off taking multiple intelligences tests, or attending self-help seminars if they don't already have a grasp of what they want in life.