User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 2345614 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
    - A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
    - An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical.
    Your first observation I haven't noticed, but, to be honest, I came/come here because of the diversity of intelligent and creative people who post here and the discussions/debates/ideas that ensue because of this fact, I like this place because, in general, it provides me with a kind of social/intellectual stimulation that I sadly do not get IRL. I personally don't care too much at all about typology, so I tend to veer away from those threads, I'm interested in about six of the MBTI types, and that's about it, and other than those types, I tend to like discussing things sans typology interferences/interjections. My ISTP ex always made fun of me for how much I invested in a forum whose focus was one that I didn't particularly care for.

Regarding your latter observation.

Grrr, that frustrates me!!!

:steam:

If you're gonna be on this site, you should have at the very least taken a test, and deeply identified with your designated type.

But you can't always get what you want.

I seem to care more about the holistic 16 archetypes than getting into the functional analysis part of it.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTJ

I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
    - A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
    - An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
    Ah. It figures you're an INTJ. I, myself, felt similarly. Since this board has been around for several years now, it has become more social and less well-defined... as most/all online communities seem to do. Sorry. You might have to figure out a way to endure it... because whatever faults it may have, in my opinion, it's the best monkey show in town. Please stick around. It may grow on you.

Ah balderdash. Maybe I have blown it but I'm just saying what I think.
    There's so much bullshit flying around this forum on a daily basis, you could fertilize the entire state of Nebraska with it.
    And I'm just saying what I think.

A fool and his money are soon elected.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    Because some people have entrenched views on topics and turn every discussion into a war of atrition which definitley leeches the joy out of it for other people :rolli:
    Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    ... to be honest, I came/come here because of the diversity of intelligent and creative people who post here and the discussions/debates/ideas that ensue because of this fact, I like this place because, in general, it provides me with a kind of social/intellectual stimulation that I sadly do not get IRL.
    Very true

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Ah. It figures you're an INTJ. I, myself, felt similarly. Since this board has been around for several years now, it has become more social and less well-defined... as most/all online communities seem to do. Sorry. You might have to figure out a way to endure it... because whatever faults it may have, in my opinion, it's the best monkey show in town. Please stick around. It may grow on you.
    It has grown on me. But, it can be better.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Glycerine

I just don't want people to associate me w/ being illogical BASED on my type. Also, there are certain aspects of my general type that I don't necessarily relate to so I don't want to be lumped into the group. In short, pidgeon-holing, I guess.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.
    but I LIKE it when you post here!

I do hate it when you look at a thread, look at the bottom of the screen at who's posting and immediatly can predict exactly how the thread is going to go though... then nobody learns anything and it's rather pointless
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I'd prefer that the forum be about harmless non-sense than dangerous non-sense such as folk typology. If the only kind of typological discussion that we could have is going to be about folk typology, we should appreciate that the forum is not about typology.
    I think how dangerous it is depends on how seriously someone takes it. Truth be told, some people take it dead seriously, dead as disco, whether they're either receiving information or relaying information. I think others just fancy it like a facebook quiz, and use it as a social outlet.

This is kind of like how some video gamers talk about rigid game mechanics, while others deviate into more fanciful things like fan fiction. Some people are anal retentive about the core structure of the game, some aren't. Naturally, they conflict with each other.

There will be a place for both here, but I think it should be someone's responsibility to uphold the core construct so it doesn't get lost or become completely convoluted on this particular website.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I do hate it when you look at a thread, look at the bottom of the screen at who's posting and immediatly can predict exactly how the thread is going to go though... then nobody learns anything and it's rather pointless
    Exactly how interested are people going to be when they read a member constantly claiming:

"I know more about Jung and typology than anyone here."

That type of hubris serves no one, nor does it encourage any type of innovative thinking from members who want to look at multiple theories to promote understanding.
    And let's not forget the daily clubbing of baby seals, as I now call it.
    Certain people now beat an MBTI type into someone, whether they want it or not.
    A fool and his money are soon elected.

MBTI
    ----

if you'd like to see more enlightening threads on typology - start them.

i have been professionally MBTI tested through my workplace. it was part of a planning session for the team. we were tested individually and later discussed our strengths/weaknesses/work-style preferences and people shared their types with others (if they wanted to). it was useful and fun.

i've only been around this forum for a short while, but i find it fascinating, as people are quite candid and there are people with diverse skill sets/knowledge. lots of play fighting...and fighting, which is fun to watch. i like some fluff with my stuff. the nuances of the forum politics here and the cliques i haven't worked out yet.
    Last edited by strawberries; 06-15-2010 at 05:56 PM.