• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

This is not a Typology Forum

Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

• Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

Votes: 25 46.3%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

Votes: 19 35.2%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

Votes: 26 48.1%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

Votes: 6 11.1%

• Total voters

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Reminds me of that painting:
4kbi1u.jpg

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But does it necessarily mean they do not have courage? This reminds me of the famous "mistaking kindness for weakness" saying. Although i have no problem with displaying my own type, people doing it to avoid confrontation and argument, or render it to open discussion, may not solely be deemed as cowardly.

It's an interesting analogy. It seems to be more about fear than kindness though.

I'd prefer that the forum be about harmless non-sense than dangerous non-sense such as folk typology. If the only kind of typological discussion that we could have is going to be about folk typology, we should appreciate that the forum is not about typology.

:smile:

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Highlander - thanks for the courage you have shown in posting your concerns. I have to agree with you. I was hoping for more meaningful discussion on the board itself than most of the topics posted.

I was tested professionally and am an accredited MBTI administrator but know that there are limitations in all of the tests. They help in understanding me and learning styles and aptitude of my own and students BUT they are not the all of us!

Serial self testers, particularly intelligent people, are likely to introduce prejudice into their own testing, either consciously or sub-consciously, based on the result they would like to see and the traits they expect should go with that type.

I have been fortunate to meet a couple of very interesting people here with whom I have been having interesting conversations with fresh perspectives. On the other hand, I am unlikely to stay long because I hear enough trivia in the classroom. I will probably drop by and check the threads from time to time - so in advance, thanks for having me.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's an interesting analogy. It seems to be more about fear than kindness though.

Oh well i would have placed reservedness instead of fear here, possibly even stoic in some sense.

Lark

I dont know why people have been changing their type, I considered deleting mine because people suggested repeatedly a while back that I wasnt "true to type" from the little I'd posted and just wanted them to stop that, or because my results varied depending on what typology I used, ie socionics or enneagram.

I think its a very good example of a typology forum, its just not obsessive and its pretty good if you're interesed not familiar with typology at all or with a particular typology system, such as MBTI.

I was thrown initially by the abscence of a test on site, and using another typology which suggested types and shadows, ie adventurous type/anti-social type, but I didnt feel like an outsider because my knowledge wasnt the same as members.

Jaguar

So do you a) not know what type your are or b) not want to be pigeon-holed?

You already blew it with some of us with your reverse psychology attempt.
Cowards?

Very immature tactic. You don't really deserve a serious answer after that stunt.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Highlander - thanks for the courage you have shown in posting your concerns. I have to agree with you. I was hoping for more meaningful discussion on the board itself than most of the topics posted.

I was tested professionally and am an accredited MBTI administrator but know that there are limitations in all of the tests. They help in understanding me and learning styles and aptitude of my own and students BUT they are not the all of us!

Serial self testers, particularly intelligent people, are likely to introduce prejudice into their own testing, either consciously or sub-consciously, based on the result they would like to see and the traits they expect should go with that type.

I have been fortunate to meet a couple of very interesting people here with whom I have been having interesting conversations with fresh perspectives. On the other hand, I am unlikely to stay long because I hear enough trivia in the classroom. I will probably drop by and check the threads from time to time - so in advance, thanks for having me.

What you've said about serial self testers makes perfect sense.

Do you have any ideas on types of threads or content that would be interesting?

I would like to see more discussion on practical application of the theory.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Because some people have entrenched views on topics and turn every discussion into a war of atrition which definitley leeches the joy out of it for other people :rolli:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You already blew it with some of us with your reverse psychology attempt.
Cowards?

Very immature tactic. You don't really deserve a serious answer after that stunt.

Ah balderdash. Maybe I have blown it but I'm just saying what I think. :doh:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical.
Your first observation I haven't noticed, but, to be honest, I came/come here because of the diversity of intelligent and creative people who post here and the discussions/debates/ideas that ensue because of this fact, I like this place because, in general, it provides me with a kind of social/intellectual stimulation that I sadly do not get IRL. I personally don't care too much at all about typology, so I tend to veer away from those threads, I'm interested in about six of the MBTI types, and that's about it, and other than those types, I tend to like discussing things sans typology interferences/interjections. My ISTP ex always made fun of me for how much I invested in a forum whose focus was one that I didn't particularly care for.

Regarding your latter observation.

Grrr, that frustrates me!!!

:steam:

If you're gonna be on this site, you should have at the very least taken a test, and deeply identified with your designated type.

But you can't always get what you want.

I seem to care more about the holistic 16 archetypes than getting into the functional analysis part of it. :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've been here about six months. During that time, there are a couple things that seem noticeable:
- A gradual reduction in actual discussions about Typology
- An increasing number of members that change their listed type to something nonsensical

So, I am wondering why this is.
Ah. It figures you're an INTJ. I, myself, felt similarly. Since this board has been around for several years now, it has become more social and less well-defined... as most/all online communities seem to do. Sorry. You might have to figure out a way to endure it... because whatever faults it may have, in my opinion, it's the best monkey show in town. Please stick around. It may grow on you.

Jaguar

Ah balderdash. Maybe I have blown it but I'm just saying what I think. :doh:

There's so much bullshit flying around this forum on a daily basis, you could fertilize the entire state of Nebraska with it.
And I'm just saying what I think.

:cheers:

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Because some people have entrenched views on topics and turn every discussion into a war of atrition which definitley leeches the joy out of it for other people :rolli:
Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
... to be honest, I came/come here because of the diversity of intelligent and creative people who post here and the discussions/debates/ideas that ensue because of this fact, I like this place because, in general, it provides me with a kind of social/intellectual stimulation that I sadly do not get IRL.

Very true

Ah. It figures you're an INTJ. I, myself, felt similarly. Since this board has been around for several years now, it has become more social and less well-defined... as most/all online communities seem to do. Sorry. You might have to figure out a way to endure it... because whatever faults it may have, in my opinion, it's the best monkey show in town. Please stick around. It may grow on you.

It has grown on me. But, it can be better. :)

G

Glycerine

I just don't want people to associate me w/ being illogical BASED on my type. Also, there are certain aspects of my general type that I don't necessarily relate to so I don't want to be lumped into the group. In short, pidgeon-holing, I guess.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah. That's why I don't post here much anymore.

:sadbanana: but I LIKE it when you post here!

I do hate it when you look at a thread, look at the bottom of the screen at who's posting and immediatly can predict exactly how the thread is going to go though... then nobody learns anything and it's rather pointless :(

G

Ginkgo

I'd prefer that the forum be about harmless non-sense than dangerous non-sense such as folk typology. If the only kind of typological discussion that we could have is going to be about folk typology, we should appreciate that the forum is not about typology.

I think how dangerous it is depends on how seriously someone takes it. Truth be told, some people take it dead seriously, dead as disco, whether they're either receiving information or relaying information. I think others just fancy it like a facebook quiz, and use it as a social outlet.

This is kind of like how some video gamers talk about rigid game mechanics, while others deviate into more fanciful things like fan fiction. Some people are anal retentive about the core structure of the game, some aren't. Naturally, they conflict with each other.

There will be a place for both here, but I think it should be someone's responsibility to uphold the core construct so it doesn't get lost or become completely convoluted on this particular website.

Jaguar

I do hate it when you look at a thread, look at the bottom of the screen at who's posting and immediatly can predict exactly how the thread is going to go though... then nobody learns anything and it's rather pointless :(

Exactly how interested are people going to be when they read a member constantly claiming:

"I know more about Jung and typology than anyone here."

That type of hubris serves no one, nor does it encourage any type of innovative thinking from members who want to look at multiple theories to promote understanding.
And let's not forget the daily clubbing of baby seals, as I now call it.
Certain people now beat an MBTI type into someone, whether they want it or not.

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
if you'd like to see more enlightening threads on typology - start them.

i have been professionally MBTI tested through my workplace. it was part of a planning session for the team. we were tested individually and later discussed our strengths/weaknesses/work-style preferences and people shared their types with others (if they wanted to). it was useful and fun.

i've only been around this forum for a short while, but i find it fascinating, as people are quite candid and there are people with diverse skill sets/knowledge. lots of play fighting...and fighting, which is fun to watch. i like some fluff with my stuff. the nuances of the forum politics here and the cliques i haven't worked out yet.

Last edited: