User Tag List

View Poll Results: Why aren't there more typology related discussions on this forum?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Too many circular discussions - been there, done that

27 45.00%
  • Because x, y, or z person is so set in their views there is no point

8 13.33%
  • I'm afraid I'll be criticized for contributing or asking a question

11 18.33%
  • I'm really here for the intellectual stimulation, not Typology

21 35.00%
  • This is a great little community - that's why I'm here

30 50.00%
  • Better no typology at all than folk typology!

7 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Typology is like a drug: it gives a kick for some time, but in the end you recognize it doesnt give the answers you were searching for all along.
    Square pegs dont fit in round holes(as long as everything is normalized by width and height). *ponders* But a round peg does fit in a square hole
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Square pegs dont fit in round holes(as long as everything is normalized by width and height). *ponders* But a round peg does fit in a square hole
    Ya and imagine not everything was normalized, we couldnt even tell a peg from a hole

Typology is like a drug: it gives a kick for some time, but in the end you recognize it doesnt give the answers you were searching for all along.
    Depends on the questions you've raised.
    Your expectations were most propably too high from the beginning.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Only the hippies then stay in Wonderland.
    Depends what you were looking for from it.

I never thought it explained any "big questions", but I think a.) it works well enough in practice to be worth giving qualified credibility to and 2.)there are some thinkers in MBTI with a good method who could be reconciled and united with other scientific fields ("natural" and social, though the division is kind of arbitrary - what is Advanced Physics for example?) - though of course there is a long way to go and MBTI first needs to prove itself scientificially for that to be possible (which I believe could happen).

So just because it doesn't give all the answers, doesn't mean it should be discarded entirely as both a tool and as a perspective IMO.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    STP

Ya and imagine not everything were normalized, we couldnt even tell a peg from a hole
    Lol
    Im out, its been fun

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It doesnt really have to do with my expectations if a thing is working or not

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

The most classical example of why mbti is fail, is that it holds up values in persons that are maybe values in a certain cultural circle of people, which inhabitants are not intrested in soccer. But it completly misses out on other values those I am familiar to.

So if you start believing in it, you automatically start identifieing with a set of values which you are supposed to have by your local society. This tho can heavily hinder you in any kind of development of becoming an independent thinker.

Of course one can say: you mustnt believe in everything mbti says, but this kind of thought is rather egoistical. Cause maybe I am warded against bad ideas, other weaker souls tho, may be not. And this kind of thought is kinda daring, cause who is independendent enough to think of his own, while at the same time seeking a reflection about himself.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

In my personal opinion the best mbti would be communication, in which you seek reflection, which is a thing everyone needs from the people surrounding you.

So the real fail isnt mbti, its human communication

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    MBTI first needs to prove itself scientifically
    In seventy years not one double blind test has been done on MBTI.

This is because MBTI is not a scientific theory. At very best it is pseudo science - the kind of science you are having when you are not having any science.

No, MBTI is a confidence trick and a popular and powerful American cult.

MBTI
    STP

The most classical example of why mbti is fail, is that it holds up values in persons that are maybe values in a certain cultural circle of people, which inhabitants are not intrested in soccer. But it completly misses out on other values those I am familiar to.

So if you start believing in it, you automatically start identifieing with a set of values which you are supposed to have by your local society. This tho can heavily hinder you in any kind of development of becoming an independent thinker.

Of course one can say: you mustnt believe in everything mbti says, but this kind of thought is rather egoistical. Cause maybe I am warded against bad ideas, other weaker souls tho, may be not.
    Things become to defined and we begin identifying values vs non-values and bring in personal values of values.
    Im out, its been fun