• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is the most independent and why?

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm fiercely independent. It's taken me a lot of years to realize it and understand it. But, I was thinking about it, and I think that all 4 of my functions play a significant role in my independence.

I - because I'm naturally drawn to the inner world and don't always feel drawn to the outer world (people)

N - I think all N's have an independent streak and it's probably because we think differently than the masses (S's). We think abstractly and so, after a lot of "S" time, we want to revert back into our "N" worlds.

T - The only reason I think my T contributes to my desire for independence is because it is Ti (and not Te). I don't necessarily have a desire to organize people, I'd rather organize thoughts, ideas, concepts, and systems.

P - contributes to the desire for each day to be different and to not fall into a mundane, routine life. Desire for things to be new and exciting, keeps us looking for new things.

If you consider yourself a highly independent person, how do you think your functions contribute to your independence?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP, followed by ISTP, ENTP and ESTP; although it really depends on how one defines independent. ExxPs are very individualistic, but generally quite sociable (especially ESxPs).

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I value independence, by definition of working and being alone, so much that it physically hurts me and it makes me want to kill someone for it.

I am not comfortable with other's relying on me but I hate having to rely on others.

On independence:

1. Ti
2. Fi
3. Ni
4. Si
5. Ne
6. Se
7. Te
8. Fe

Je(Fe and Te) hates "Lone time".

Ji(Ti and Fi) loves "lone time".

P(Ni, Si, Ne and Se) is almost neutral but Pe(Ne and Se) is a minus on "lone time".

In reality, it's very relative to the person. (his beliefs, experiences etc.)

KDude

S is not being with the "masses"... haha.. It's simply preferring to experience the sensory world (and as far as i'm concerned, there are not other optional worlds at the moment). And senses are used in reference to people and without reference to them. I might like looking at the waves crashing for an hour by myself. That's not dependency. That's just existing with things as they are.

I'd still agree that an INTP is potentionally more independent though. If you consider the ability to get lost in ideas/concepts/etc to be independent. I've noticed that some of you can walk 10 blocks thinking about something, and not realize what's around you (or something along those lines). That's definitely more indepedent, in some sense. ;) But I would think all introverts, especially the percievers, are the same as you when it comes to people.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No fucking way Si is so high up.

Ti
Ni
Fi
Ne
Se
Te
Si
Fe

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^
Introversion/Extroversion determines the affinity for "independence". Pi requires introversion and at the same time dislikes external outputs. What's about it that dislikes independence?

It's from introverted functions to judgment functions then to perceiving functions.

Independence(+):

Ti
Fi
Ni
Si

Independence(-):

Ne
Se
Te
Fe

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a hard time seeing extroverts as independent because they seem so reliant on people to feed them energy.

I'm going to say IPs, especially INxPs. I think the Ji functions have the most autonomous vibe to them. iNtuition can make you seem detached from the external. Probably Ti is a bit more independent than Fi, because Feeling tends to deal more in the realms of people.

So something like: INTP > ISTP = INFP > ISFP

KDude

^Agreed :)

Now I wonder what comes after ISFP. ENTP? Do they sit in the middle?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
1. INTP
2. INTJ
3. Everyone else

This isn't so much an IxxP thing, it's an INTependence thing.

InsatiableCuriosity

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm fiercely independent. It's taken me a lot of years to realize it and understand it. But, I was thinking about it, and I think that all 4 of my functions play a significant role in my independence.

I - because I'm naturally drawn to the inner world and don't always feel drawn to the outer world (people)

N - I think all N's have an independent streak and it's probably because we think differently than the masses (S's). We think abstractly and so, after a lot of "S" time, we want to revert back into our "N" worlds.

T - The only reason I think my T contributes to my desire for independence is because it is Ti (and not Te). I don't necessarily have a desire to organize people, I'd rather organize thoughts, ideas, concepts, and systems.

P - contributes to the desire for each day to be different and to not fall into a mundane, routine life. Desire for things to be new and exciting, keeps us looking for new things.

If you consider yourself a highly independent person, how do you think your functions contribute to your independence?

For me, you have described it in one hit!:yes:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^
Introversion/Extroversion determines the affinity for "independence". Pi requires introversion and at the same time dislikes external outputs. What's about it that dislikes independence?
Well, speaking of the individual functions, Si is obsessed with stability and tradition, and operates entirely on the basis of data collected over time. Nothing about it could really be considered independent, unless you wholly describe independent as antisocial.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
At first I would have said INTJ, since we do tend to be very independent. Our drive to implement our ideas in the real world, however, does require a degree of interaction and connection with it, however, so INTP is probably a better answer.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Independence(+):

Ti +10
Fi +7.5
Ni + 5
Si + 2.5

Independence(-):

Ne - 2.5
Se - 5
Te - 7.5
Fe - 10

From this you have to consider the Dom(+-5) and Aux(+-2.5) functions of each type so it's this:

INTP(10), ISTP(7.5)=INFP(7.5), ISFP(5)=ENTP(5), ESTP(2.5) = ENFP(2.5), ESFP(0) = INTJ(0), ISTJ(-2.5) = INFJ(-2.5), ISFJ(-5) = ENTJ(-5), ESTJ(-7.5) = ENFJ (-7.5), ESFJ(-10)

...at least based on my understanding. Realistically, I think nurture would overwhelm nature.

Last edited:

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, speaking of the individual functions, Si is obsessed with stability and tradition, and operates entirely on the basis of data collected over time. Nothing about it could really be considered independent, unless you wholly describe independent as antisocial.

It is independent of its own "personal" data. It determines "tradition" on a subjective level.

KDude

1. INTP
2. INTJ
3. Everyone else

This isn't so much an IxxP thing, it's an INTependence thing.

INTJs may not budge and change easily, but they still kind of want to be in charge of things though, right? There's a still need to define oneself through control.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I see you guys want all the nice parts of independence and not, say, the asexuality and the closed-mindedness.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It is independent of its own "personal" data. It determines "tradition" on a subjective level.
Unicorns are real, and they're blue. See? I can make shit up too. :yes:

Si determines tradition (and really, anything else) on a data-based level, and is wholly dependent on what came before it. That's what it is, in fact -- adherence to what was. No independence whatsoever there.

Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference—for example, noticing that some food doesn’t taste the same or is saltier than it usually is. Introverted Sensing is also operating when we see someone who reminds us of someone else. Sometimes a feeling associated with the recalled image comes into our awareness along with the information itself. Then the image can be so strong, our body responds as if reliving the experience. The process also involves reviewing the past to draw on the lessons of history, hindsight, and experience. With introverted Sensing, there is often great attention to detail and getting a clear picture of goals and objectives and what is to happen. There can be a oneness with ageless customs that help sustain civilization and culture and protect what is known and long-lasting, even while what is reliable changes.
Source

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Si determines tradition (and really, anything else) on a data-based level, and is wholly dependent on what came before it. That's what it is, in fact -- adherence to what was. No independence whatsoever there.

"Data" is defined by cognition or the person's perception; "Data" is relative to the person. "Data" and/or "Tradition" can therefore vary between different individuals creating "independent tradition" and/or "independent information".

"I am independent because society doesn't fit my 'tradition'."

Now, Je(Te&Fe), however, is about adaptation towards a system and since Dom Si's are usually accompanied by Je, it forms the relationship of Si-Je, which is the relationship of tradition that is judged based mainly on external criteria.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
INTJs may not budge and change easily, but they still kind of want to be in charge of things though, right? There's a still need to define oneself through control.

They seek a more controlled environment than INTPs, but are the last type to give up self-sufficiency in order to get it.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"Data" is defined by cognition or the person's perception. "Data" is relative to the person. "Data" or "Tradition" can therefore vary between different individuals creating "independent tradition" and/or independent "information".
Data is data. The only thing that could change is your interpretation of it, or the data itself. Si does not interpret -- it only collects and then associates, which means A is A, regardless of which Si user perceives it. Si is not Ne.