• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What Defines You?

LunarMoon

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
While preparing packages for my small business I reflected on the fact that I almost entirely define myself based on my occupation, accomplishments, and socioeconomical status, and couldn't help thinking about how unsavory that would be for someone who centered their identity around their relationship to others, their country of origin, their sex, or something less tangible. I'd imagine that an INFP or even an INTJ wouldn't define herself entirely based upon her work for instance but I wouldn't put it past most NTs to associate themselves with their competencies and abilities. Parallel to that, most SJs that I know of seem to think of themselves in relationship to their family and friends. So the question is: what do you, as whichever type you are, define yourself by?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I define myself by my accomplishments and how far I am from accomplishing something that I find to be significant. I've lost most social connections, and for the most part it hasn't really affected me. I had doubts thinking I was the crazy immature one who broke all ties with them and that I need to improve myself because I'm not to my own standards in behavior, but with much thought and consultation I believe it to be their fault, which makes things so much better because then I can just move on without them trying to put guilt trips on me.

Jaguar

While preparing packages for my small business I reflected on the fact that I almost entirely define myself based on my occupation, accomplishments, and socioeconomical status. [...] but I wouldn't put it past most NTs to associate themselves with their competencies...

Your occupation is outside yourself.
Your accomplishments are outside yourself.
Your socioeconomic status is outside yourself.

What the hell do you stand for? Who are you?

This isn't about MBTI type. It's about consciousness.
As long as you keep looking outside, you never have to look inside.

If a dog shits on the newspaper rather than the carpet, has he defined himself?
He's "competent."

Gee, great dog. ;)

soft

MBTI Type
infp
i think the quality of my relationships with friends/family define me. tbh, i would be happy accomplishing nothing for the rest of my life, as long as i had my closest friends with me the whole time.

also, my desire for a deep intimate relationship. right now that's the only thing i really feel is missing from my life. it seriously depresses me though, so i guess it's important to me.

Little_Sticks

So the question is: what do you, as whichever type you are, define yourself by?

I define myself by my ability to positively influence the world as I see it. I want things to work well and I want people to be as happy as possible and be as trustful of others as possible. If I only seem to negatively influence the world in my eyes, I start to question what value I have as a human being, and when I seem to positively influence the world in my eyes, I feel 'successful', useful, and competent.

Nice thread :D

Kaveri

MBTI Type
intp
I define myself by my personality type and astrological sign. :p Kidding. I define myself by my thoughts, emotions, characteristics, plans, ideas... mostly by my ideas of who I want to become or what I love. xD

But if someone asks who I am or what I'm like, I will tell my sex, my age and my occupation.