• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are INFP's notorious for....

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
Not knowing what type they are? (there is a selfish motive for starting this thread)

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
For me, at least, yes, until very recently. I have thought I was INFJ, INTJ, ENFP, INTP but the first type I related to completely was INFP like five years ago. I think it is because we love to question and take things apart. Once we have taken all the INFP profiles apart, we want more, we want more questions and we want more details. So we spill over into some of the other types that bears similarities to us. So that we can have something new to take apart and question. We do that with a lot of things, I believe. I think some other types know when to stop questioning. Every time we change, we question. Since we never stop changing, we might never stop questioning our true type. :D

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to say no. There are way too many self-proclaimed INFPs on this board & other forums for INFPs not to know their type. I think it's a big myth that NFPs cannot decide on type - rather, people just like to lump other people into the NFP categories if they seem indecisive. I notice people typing themselves as INFP at first & then switching to another type once they know MBTI better & then staying with that new type - indicating to me that they mistyped as INFP and have found a better fit.

I'd argue that being Fi-dom, you often know yourself well and you will find your type soon enough through testing, reading profiles, researching functions, and honest self-analysis. Almost everyone goes through a questioning period when they first get into MBTI. Those who can never decide seem to not know themselves very well, or to not understand MBTI very well, IMO.

Personally, once I settled on INFP, I never went back ;).

phthalocyanine

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
yes and no... if the INFP has an atypical development of functions, they may confuse themselves with another type... but i think the more they self-reflect and focus on who they are when alone and what really matters to them (as opposed to what they can do if necessary or what roles they might play well), it becomes clear.

at least, that's how it worked for me.

(my ultra-subjective posting style should give away my infp type fairly easily)

Frank

Anyone who is fairly well balanced within the functions probably has a harder time. Extremes of any function would be much easier to notice.

swift sylvan

MBTI Type
NiTi
I'm going to say no. There are way too many self-proclaimed INFPs on this board & other forums for INFPs not to know their type. I think it's a big myth that NFPs cannot decide on type - rather, people just like to lump other people into the NFP categories if they seem indecisive. I notice people typing themselves as INFP at first & then switching to another type once they know MBTI better & then staying with that new type - indicating to me that they mistyped as INFP and have found a better fit.

I'd argue that being Fi-dom, you often know yourself well and you will find your type soon enough through testing, reading profiles, researching functions, and honest self-analysis. Almost everyone goes through a questioning period when they first get into MBTI. Those who can never decide seem to not know themselves very well, or to not understand MBTI very well, IMO.

Personally, once I settled on INFP, I never went back ;).

Ah, but just because I am new here doesn't mean I haven't been on a long process of discover my type. I think it's just this quest for identity which is so silly that I care to figure that out so much when really at the end of the day whether I am E/I, S/N, etc... at the end of the day I am me for better or worse.

I imagine on this forum enough I will discern which type I am most of the time as well as finally just sticking to one instead of: infp, infj, enfp, enfj, intp, isfj, etc....

BRMC117

is an ambi-turner
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w2
Anyone who is fairly well balanced within the functions probably has a harder time. Extremes of any function would be much easier to notice.

Introverted- 89%
iNtuition -95%
Feeling-89%
Perceiving-84%

ohh yea I really didnt have a hard time lol

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Depends really, personally, I found that as an INFP, I questioned up until the point when I very recently spent a bit of time with ENFPand INTP friends who were confident in their type. It was then that I could say that although we were similar, the way we processed and expressed things was quite different, at that point, the way that parts of the descriptions might manifest in real life clicked, and after reading a bit more, I settled on INFP...The descriptions can be a bit sketchy and open to individual interpretation, so if you can't spend time with simillar types in real life, you might wanna ask around here to find the most reliable descriptions, especially online, cause anyone who likes MBTI could write one...Good luck :)

DUDE

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I always wanted to be like others. I am not good at making friends and I don't even speak a word in crowd. Yep I hate crowd! I even thought myself as a loser. Later I get to know my type and I read some psychological articles. Now I started to accept myself for who I am. I like to hear your story :)

Sorry I am not good at English

woolgatherer

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I agree with OrangeAppled that since INFPs are introspective we have a pretty good grasp of who we are. I did think I might be an INTP briefly years ago though.

Kenneth Almighty

MBTI Type
ENXP
I have a cousin who took the MBTI, and his jaw dropped on how accurate the profile was. I'd have to agree.

But with you? No, I don't think it's always that simple :p

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I think INFPs always know they're INFPs, but sometimes try to be something else. Denial, basically. INTP is the most common port of call from what I've seen. The first time I read the INFP profile I knew it was me, even though I'd scored as INTP on the test. I've never doubted since.

The issue is clouded somewhat by INFJs though. Some people can't seem to decide between INFP and INFJ. I always assumed they were either dishonest INFPs or INFJs being too hard on themselves.;) Most seem to settle on INFJ, rightly or wrongly.

capslock

MBTI Type
INFP
I took the MBTI when I was about 20. Can't say I was very surprised by the result.
And compared to my friends (who are all far from being INFP), I had a pretty good idea what my "profile" was beforehand ;-) They are still rather clueless, or uninterested rather, in their personalities/psychology.

soft

MBTI Type
infp
I'm not absolutely positive because I think I might be an ISFP.

i'm the same way, always stuck between the two... but i think a lot about possibilities and the future, and i consider myself to be somewhat "philosophical" (lol...). those are two things i read are more INFP than ISFP, so i guess i'm sticking with infp.

Shelleh

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Im an INFP Im not one that is like 'OMG that must be my type!' I've tested myself about 5 times;

4/5 - Classed as an INFP
1/5 - Classed as an ENFP

I never judged myself to be an INFP I thought I might be one when I read up on it in an instance so then I went ahead and found out I actually was one.

I get curious and like to learn about new things :)

KDude

i'm the same way, always stuck between the two... but i think a lot about possibilities and the future, and i consider myself to be somewhat "philosophical" (lol...). those are two things i read are more INFP than ISFP, so i guess i'm sticking with infp.

they can both be similar, i think, being Fi dom, but it's almost as simple as just seeing if you generally like to directly experience more first..they are both comparing what lines up to their Fi, but it seems infp can dissociate more quickly with potential situations/people, and appear more the introvert. the isfp likes going outside often, or meeting new people, or touching things before getting an idea of what fits. in fact, it kills us if we can't see enough. it's not as fun to fantasize or imagine. i can imagine things for about 10 seconds.. and then i go get a bag of chips. if i can't go to paris, and my choice is to imagine or eat a bag of chips, then the chips win every time. as for philosophy, i don't know about other isfps, but i like the philosophers who can break down things to a maxim. i like simplicity - and if i want to know about a more complicated philosopher, i swear i would prefer the damn cliffnotes. i do not need to read the critique of pure reason in it's totality. it's not that i'm stupid (but i do believe infps are generally more intelligent than i am) - it's just boring to play with any theorizing.