• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you revert to your opposite type under stress?

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
There was this site called teamtechnology.co.uk, which suggested that INTJ's, under extreme stress, acted like ESFP's, or that any personality type reverted back to their shadow type. This is an interesting theory, which (as far as I can tell) has not been presented in such explicit terms on any other website I've seen (some websites have implied the exhibition of an 'opposite' personality under stress, such as personalitypage.com, but not explicitly). I can't really tell whether this is a fair call or not. I know I probably shouldn't use myself as an example (I've done so way too many times, but I'm not really sure how else to get across my confusion about this theory), but here is what I am prone to do when under 'extreme stress':

- Have suicidal thoughts (more often)
- Verbally abuse and threaten people
- Create an emotionally volatile atmosphere
- Actively avoid or defy authority
- Take my anger out on friends
- I may throw objects around the place
- I may disrupt certain gatherings (i.e - I once disrupted a party in a classroom)
- My appetite is diminished
- I lose my rationality completely (or get upset over nothing)
- I become confused as to why bad things are happening to me
- I don't care about the consequences of my actions until after I've left the 'extreme stress' phase
- I get people asking me in a worried tone: "Are you all right?"
- I become more negative and cynical than usual
- I begin believing that nobody cares about me
- I become very impulsive

I did consider putting this in the 'What's my Type?' section, but I felt that wasn't really appropriate, since I am using myself - under extreme stress - as anecdotal evidence, in order to prove or disprove this 'shadow stress' theory, as I will term it. (I know that this all sounds vague, but I've got no better way to express my curiosity :doh: ). Besides, I am dealing with shadow types, as opposed to real types. Also, I feel that I would be hogging that section if I did.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
How a personality changes under different conditions is dependant on so many facets it's hardly surprising that there's no clear cut answer.

According to theory under the right kind of stress you should manifest certain ESFP traits.

Exactly how this comes out is very variable but let me put it like this, if I get seriously annoyed then I'll go for whatever it is which I want to achieve regardless of opposition. This is manifesting traits from ESFJ.

Oh and the traits are usually negative traits according to theory though I'm of the opinion that such things depend greatly upon perspective.

Edit having re-read your post.
-Loss of rationality
-Emotionally volatile atmosphere
-Think that no one cares.

Sounds like negative traits of an ESFP does it not?

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
- Actively avoid or defy authority
Guilty :blush:

- I may throw objects around the place
As a teen / child I did this. I still think about it when I get very upset, but I don't do it.

- I don't care about the consequences of my actions until after I've left the 'extreme stress' phase
To an extent, yes. It's more like I see the consequences and I decide I'm going to do it anyway. There are those 'life changing' moments, and if I'm very upset when they happen, I'll say "the hell with it" and plow on, knowing full well there is no going back.

When under extreme stress I become obsessive - I've worked myself to exhaustion, I've exercised myself into ill health, I become 'consumed'. I can recognize when this is happening now most of the time and I can pull myself back.

And I still 'shut down' if things get really bad. Shutting down is something I allow myself to do, because if I don't I'm going to fall apart.

I've read the descriptions of the types under stress and some of it I identify with, other aspects not so much.

DaRick

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
How a personality changes under different conditions is dependant on so many facets it's hardly surprising that there's no clear cut answer.

According to theory under the right kind of stress you should manifest certain ESFP traits.

Exactly how this comes out is very variable but let me put it like this, if I get seriously annoyed then I'll go for whatever it is which I want to achieve regardless of opposition. This is manifesting traits from ESFJ.

Oh and the traits are usually negative traits according to theory though I'm of the opinion that such things depend greatly upon perspective.

Edit having re-read your post.
-Loss of rationality
-Emotionally volatile atmosphere
-Think that no one cares.

Sounds like negative traits of an ESFP does it not?

Yeah, negativity is a very subjective term, which tends to be used by subjective individuals, from past experiences. In that regard, I don't consider any of the above I've listed (as anecdotal evidence) to be positive traits in the slightest. I always feel like a tool after the 'extreme stress' period. The traits are theoretically negative because stress is considered to be a negative, both on your current physical and psychological well-being (although stress may indeed prove beneficial from an experiential point of view, as you look for ways to avoid it the next time you are caught in a parlous situation). However, I do know that some of the traits I have listed sound like a combination of both ESFP and ESTP, but I'm not 100% on that.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Naomi Quenk put out a good book about MBTI "inferior function / flipped" selves (the original release was called "Beside Ourselves" -- but I think the title was changed upon rerelease). I recommend it, if you can find a copy.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
It's called Was That Really Me? Highly recommended.

Jae Rae

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I think my type morphing depends on how long I'm coping with stress. I notice that I dig into Fe, then get really nitpicky and critical (Ti) and then back to an extreme version of Fe ("You should do this," "this must be done," "I have to decide on this now") Basically I give myself and others a lot of imperatives that have to happen quickly and I isolate myself from people but that doesn't happen for very long. Thankfully, I have a good bunch of people around me that know how to snap my ass back in check when I get out of hand.

I found some interesting information on types under stress a few weeks ago.

P_Article_ConferenceBoston_clip_image001.gif

In Beside Ourselves, Naomi Quenk (1993) makes the case that during periods of extreme stress the inferior function takes control of consciousness and results in a person exhibiting uncharacteristic, childish, immature and archaic behavior. Quenk's model does not address the impact of stress at less than extreme levels. The Kirby and Barger (1996) model suggests that the inferior function does not take control but, rather, the person attempts to use the dominant function more adamantly as stress increases. They state that the greater the stress, the greater the effort to utilize the dominant function, which eventually results in a dysfunctional state. The stress model presented by Ware, et. al., (1994) suggests that under stress, type preferences migrate toward I, S and T.

My research and anecdotal evidence over the past 12 years using The CommunicationWheel and a systems model of typology suggests that as stress increases, the auxiliary, tertiary and fourth functions tend to rotate into consciousness in a sequential manner (see Figure 1). That is, at moderate levels of stress a low-level, stressed-out version of the auxiliary moves into consciousness. At high levels of stress, a moderately stressed-out version of the tertiary function moves into consciousness. If the stress increases to an extreme level, the fourth function will manifest as the inferior function, resulting in the appearance of a person's "evil twin, Skippy."

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I absolutely turn into an ISTP, but everything BAD about them. When my emotions go away, I become a cold hard beast.

Great suggestions, everyone... I'm making a note of those right now. I've always wondered how much force the shadow exerts under protracted strain.

EDIT: lol @ "evil twin, Skippy"...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Thank you, PM, that was a very informative paragraph. I hadn't run across it yet.

I can see some of that.

My basic response to moderate stress is to start brainstorming, looking for something positive and fun to do, options to "go around my problem / avoid the stress." This also can lead to eating, drinking, and other distractions. (Ne)

Ratcheting it up another notch, I hunker down and withdraw. I get winsome, start reviewing the past for what worked, take refuge in better memories, looking for some intense feeling I once had to help me through. I search for the safe and familiar. (Si)

The Fe explosion only comes if I can't see another way out / no more possibilities to explore, and if I can't get myself alone and stabilized. I become paranoid, hypercritical, oversensitive to what I perceive based on what people say/do and DON'T say/do (trying to read far too much into their behavior), and even the extreme emotional outbursts / emodumps.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I certainly don't turn into an ENFJ when stressed, even extremely so, so I've never held much stock in the "shadow theory".

If anything I turn into an IxFP, ruled by Fi. I will be outwardly cold but furious and emotional inside, and unable to focus on anything but that emotion.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
No...I don't think I become ISFP...in fact I think I get more like the stereotype of "ENTJ" because I tend to become more volatile and get angry more easily and get annoyed at small things. I'm not really nice to be around when stressed, so I try hard to avoid getting to that point.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Well, theoretically I should act out Se under stress... does this fit?

- Drinks several sodas more than normal and eats too many snacks.

- Becomes too unmotivated to get out of bed, and spends the whole day watching television and feeling sorry for themselves.

- Stomps foot.

- Screams/yells.

- Breaks a pencil in half.

- Insults own reflection.

I have to admit that this is why I didn't like xSTP's at first... I thought they acted this way most all the time, and could only be motivated to act decently under extreme stress every few years.

The only positive thing in my case is that unlike other types that can stay in their shadow for a few days/hours... I usually run out of energy and come to my senses before mine can cause as much damage. I've seen other types stay in their shadows long enough to seriously sabotage themselves.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have no idea if I become more like a certain type when I stress out, but this is how I am when I get stressed:

I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain, trying to 'fix' what is making me stressed, which usually entails me trying to 'fix' something I think I'm doing wrong, because I tend to think it's always my fault and only later will realize the other person might have played a role too. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial. I also beat myself up about all of this, which exacerbates the stress. At home, I'll latch onto details and might nag more than usual, because I'm irritable and I don't like the cat litter flecks on the entry hall carpet. ;) And I'm annoyed that I'm being so petty, which further stresses me out. By this point I can't stand being in my brain, so I then try to divert myself by forcing myself out to a gym or something, or I watch tv, or I try to distract myself by playing a game or something. Temporary fix. I'm also feeling physically ill by this point, and just want to lie down, so forcing myself out and about takes a lot of willpower, because I don't feel well and have a tension headache. ;-) Eventually it works itself out -- I usually end up exhausting myself mentally/emotionally, and after sleeping poorly for several nights (if I'm really worked up about something, that is! Otherwise I might calm myself down in a day or so), my body will be exhausted, whereupon my mind will shut off, I'll stop doing the analytical stuff, and it'll be over.

The end. :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have no idea if I become more like a certain type when I stress out, but this is how I am when I get stressed:

I become incredibly analytical, and get 'stuck' in my brain. I become *really* judgmental, and see the negatives in everyone and everything, and nearly everything about people irritates me. I'm aware that I'm this way, and I then withdraw and don't talk as much to people, and tend to avoid conversation and stick to myself...mostly because I don't want to talk to anyone. I become antisocial. I also beat myself up about all of this, which exacerbates the stress. At home, I'll latch onto details and might nag more than usual, because I'm irritable and I don't like the cat litter flecks on the entry hall carpet. ;) And I'm annoyed that I'm being so petty, which further stresses me out. By this point I can't stand being in my brain, so I then try to divert myself by forcing myself out to a gym or something, or I watch tv, or I try to distract myself by playing a game or something. Temporary fix. I'm also feeling physically ill by this point, and just want to lie down, so forcing myself out and about takes a lot of willpower, because I don't feel well and have a tension headache. ;-) Eventually it works itself out -- I usually end up exhausting myself mentally/emotionally, and after sleeping poorly for several nights, my body will be exhausted, whereupon my mind will shut off, I'll stop doing the analytical stuff, and it'll be over.

The end. :D

I relate to that part... but that's more like normal stress than extreme stress for me. I don't usually do anything to distract myself except just try to calm down and meditate, which usually does the trick for me eventually.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I'm not really sure I've ever been under 'extreme' stress, although perhaps what I described would be extreme stress as far as my emotional state goes.

Since I know I stress out pretty easily, to a certain extent I tailor my life so as to keep things as stress-free as possible. I suppose I tend to do the preventative thing...so as to keep myself from ever getting into major stressout mode.

Edit: yeah, after thinking a bit, I did describe the cycle of my major stressout session. If it's just moderate stress, it would dissipate within the same day, and I'd get it under control. It's major stress that blows up and goes over several days.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Do any other NFJs get irritated by commercials when your fuse is short? I walked by the tv and this ad was on for Lowes or Home Depot for something, and this guy is shopping for his wife in there. He's clueless and apparently shopping for HIMSELF.

I was walking by, saw it and thought acidly: "You should be weeded out of the gene pool, you f-ing selfish numbnuts, so your wife can remarry within her species."

This is what I mean by "block of ice". But that's me at apogee from myself. I turn into Captain Tupolev from "The Hunt for Red October".

I love people and try hard to recenter and get back to it as quickly as I can!

sassafrassquatch

I certainly don't turn into an ENFJ when stressed, even extremely so, so I've never held much stock in the "shadow theory".

If anything I turn into an IxFP, ruled by Fi. I will be outwardly cold but furious and emotional inside, and unable to focus on anything but that emotion.

Mega dittos.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think my type morphing depends on how long I'm coping with stress. I notice that I dig into Fe, then get really nitpicky and critical (Ti) and then back to an extreme version of Fe ("You should do this," "this must be done," "I have to decide on this now") Basically I give myself and others a lot of imperatives that have to happen quickly and I isolate myself from people but that doesn't happen for very long. Thankfully, I have a good bunch of people around me that know how to snap my ass back in check when I get out of hand.

I found some interesting information on types under stress a few weeks ago.

P_Article_ConferenceBoston_clip_image001.gif
That's an interesting theory, and makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was walking by, saw it and thought acidly: "You should be weeded out of the gene pool, you f-ing selfish numbnuts, so your wife can remarry within her species."

This is what I mean by "block of ice". But that's me at apogee from myself. I turn into Captain Tupolev from "The Hunt for Red October".

hehe...well, that's pretty much what I meant when I said I get *really* judgmental. :) But you put it much more colorfully! :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Do any other NFJs get irritated by commercials when your fuse is short? I walked by the tv and this ad was on for Lowes or Home Depot for something, and this guy is shopping for his wife in there. He's clueless and apparently shopping for HIMSELF.

I love people and try hard to recenter and get back to it as quickly as I can!

Usually not quite like that as much any more (although it used to be)... these days it seems to manifest more like a sarcastic, "Well, yeah, that makes a lot of sense." Sometimes it's also a condescending, "Come on, that's basic knowledge. How can you possibly not know that?" It can also be, "I don't have the time to listen to your irrelevant ravings." So my bad mood towards my television (and sometimes other people), has less of an edge, but it's more condescending and dismissive.

I don't really like to say things like that to people either, and I usually feel badly about it.