• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What is your writing style? - Determining Your Personality Type By What You Write

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah I'm not sure if those questions work so well for this...

I rattled off quick answers to all of them and it came out as ISFJ too. THose questions might not be very type-neutral (i.e. they might lead to a bias toward ISFJ, but maybe not). I think they worked in the video version because you'd have the whole context... pauses, facial expressions, gestures, etc. etc. but in this you only have the words.
I answered 4 questions, ended up ISFP on one, ISTJ on another, and ESFP on the other two. I think the only way you could be seen as an N in that test answering those questions, is through a joke answer.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
According to this
Yesterday's post blathering on about how I respond to criticism is sufficiently INFJ

Introversion (90.0 %) Extraversion (10.0 %)
iNtuition (55.1 %) Sensing (44.9 %)
Feeling (71.7 %) Thinking (28.3 %)
Judging (62.0 %) Perceiving (38.0 %)

But a post about the unhealthy traits of an INFJ evidently reads like an ISFJ! :laugh:

Introversion (96.5 %) Extraversion (3.5 %)
Sensing (56.0 %) iNtuition (44.0 %)
Feeling (56.2 %) Thinking (43.8 %)
Judging (62.0 %) Perceiving (38.0 %)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That thing is shit at picking out N. It assumes that if what you're writing is not loopy and insane (or alternately Ti on crack), it's Sensing.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. iNtuition (82.4 %)
2. Sensing (17.6 %)

1. Thinking (97.9 %)
2. Feeling (2.1 %)

1. Introversion (96.2 %)
2. Extraversion (3.8 %)

1. Perceiving (81.7 %)
2. Judging (18.3 %)

INTP. Nice.
Used a story I was working on last Autumn.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
1. iNtuition (82.4 %)
2. Sensing (17.6 %)

1. Thinking (97.9 %)
2. Feeling (2.1 %)

1. Introversion (96.2 %)
2. Extraversion (3.8 %)

1. Perceiving (81.7 %)
2. Judging (18.3 %)

INTP. Nice.
Used a story I was working on last Autumn.

I got INTP as well (using a conglomeration of posts and some email)... it rated me at 97+% T as well... go figure.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If this isn't NF writing, then I don't know what is:

The Music of Life

Notes fall like leaves upon the water,
Bringing forth the ripples on the river
Where they expand towards each other
Then collide in a beautiful sonic wave
That washes upon the banks, enters the soil
And diffuses into the roots of thirsty trees.

Beside the trees lie the seeds of wild roses
Fed by the same water that composes
The essence of life that converges
In a harmonious network through the land,
Bringing forth the germination of the seeds
Time to break free from the ground.

Young rose vines crawl shyly past the earth
Nourished by the waters of the firth
To embrace the sunshine in mirth
Growing ever upward to grace the trees
In a royal cape of white flowers,
Entangled in the passion for life.

This is the Garden of Eden,
A place held with deep affection
In hearts and minds deep with passion
To live, to learn, to love, to give
All of their souls to the light of the soul
That lies within the music of life.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I used multiple paragraphs with this test; I tried using everything from reasearch papers to replies I posted on this forum. The results all confirmed INTJ with a few INTP exceptions.

The test is most likely more accurate when you write on your own accord about something that you feel strongly about. It also seems to give the best results when using a long single paragraph. It also should go without saying that you must be writing in first-person from your point of view. The subject matter is probably as important as the writing itself.

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I tried several different excerpts, and I'm noticing:

For academic papers, I score nearly 100% on I, N, and T, and there's usually a P preference. For personal writing, moderate I, moderately high N, high F, moderate J. But yeah, really, you can get whatever combination you want depending on what you choose to enter.

gromit

likes this
I answered 4 questions, ended up ISFP on one, ISTJ on another, and ESFP on the other two. I think the only way you could be seen as an N in that test answering those questions, is through a joke answer.

My writing came out INTP-style when I ran a few paragraphs of me explaining my theory on something to a friend...

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wrote mine on the spot using Ne and Te, sprinkled with a little Si.

gromit

likes this
I really want to know how they determine it... which words or combinations of words it looks for.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, I think if it sounds matter-of-fact it'll guess S, and then if it's very Ti (that is, extremely intricate and complex) it iwll guess NT instead. If it's loopy and unrealistic it will guess N, but unless a lot of emotional words (as opposed to emotional imagery) it will still guess T. Although I have no idea how it guessed a fucking cowboy shootout as F.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Hmm, very strong introvert/intuitive/thinking and 66% judging for my first one. Almost the exact same for the second. Third ended up with 75% thinking 53% perceiving. The third was one I feel almost embarrassed in how badly I wrote it.

Best reason I can come up with is that I second guess so much when writing that much of the spontaneity is purged out. Which would also coincide with a stronger perceiving when I rushed/was unable to purge what I didn't like. Could also be something to deal with how the third had quotes in it from Macbeth. No clue how quoting something else would effect the test.

Hmm, this snippet came back with strong introversion 72% thinking/judging and 54% intuition. And this sentence somehow increases intuition by 10%. Stating facts has increased intuition noticeably.

I'm having a lot of fun with this. Putting in a shorter essay that I actually enjoyed myself with came back with the same crazy high introversion/thinking but this time 80% intuition 55% perceiving. Trying a few more everything except crazy high introversion seems to fluctuate to some degree.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Just an interesting observation, when you enter 'complete non-sense' into the sensing/intuiting engine, you get 50% sensing, and 50% intuitive. Yet, when you enter 'absolute non-sense', suddenly your intuitive score jumps to 100%! Similarly, when I enter 'stupendous genius', it is 50/50, yet 'very smart person' receives a 100% S score!

For the Thinking/Feeling, I entered 'person A is dexterous and received over 80% for thinking, yet when I re-entered the same sentence with one small addition, I feel that person A is dexterous, my Feeling score elevated to well over 80.

This leads me to suspect that the test is based on superficial, Keirseyan or folk typological descriptions of personality types. In other words, if you use the word 'feel' or 'I' a great deal, you will be labelled as a feeling type writer. If you use difficult and non-vernacular words you will be labelled a sensing type. I hate to ruin the excitement for you again, yet I am afraid that this test, just like the majority of MBTI assessments tell us nothing insightful about our personalities or the way we write. Any person could virtually score as any type, as we implement different word choices when working on various written assignments. As Jaguar observed, his result would probably have been something other than INTJ if he submitted a written piece on a different topic and indeed, many of our other posters received one code in response to one of their articles yet a completely different one for writing that dealt with a wholly different subject-matter.

A writing test of true typological insight would somehow reflect our deepest unconscious dispositions that manifest in our writing regardless of what words we use or even what topics we discuss. I would guess that such a test would not accept one-liners, it would need to focus on many long passages of our writing and look at the underlying structure of our rhetorical style and the subtle meanings of our writing. This would probably require software that is by far more sophisticated than the kind that we currently have.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cliff's Notes version of the above: "This test is bullshit."

gromit

likes this
Well, I think if it sounds matter-of-fact it'll guess S, and then if it's very Ti (that is, extremely intricate and complex) it iwll guess NT instead. If it's loopy and unrealistic it will guess N, but unless a lot of emotional words (as opposed to emotional imagery) it will still guess T. Although I have no idea how it guessed a fucking cowboy shootout as F.

I'm trying to understand how a computer algorithm can know if something sounds matter-of-fact. What are the objective criteria it uses? I nerded out a little and ran some different senteces through to see if I could come up with some tenses or types of words or grammatical constructs. I only did the first one (S/N), but here is my data.

Rabbit. 50%S A rabbit. 77%S The rabbit. 70%N

My rabbit 100%S His rabbit. 100%S Her rabbit. 95%S Our rabbit. 91%S Your rabbit. 55%N Ones rabbit. 100%N

I eat/I will eat/I could eat/I was eating. 100%S
I ate. 84% S
I have eaten. 77%S
I could have eaten. 68.5%S
I couldn't have eaten. 99%S
There's no way I could have eaten. 59% N
Is there any way I could have eaten? 87%N
Is there? 86%N
There is. 99%N

I sleep. 99.6%S
I dream. 72.5%S
I walk. 72%S
I extrapolate/quantify/qualify/classify. 84%S
I am. 72%S
I could. 84%S
I could do it. 73%S
I couldn't do it. 97%S
I exist. 100%N
I think. 99%N
I wonder 84%S
Do you wonder? 98%S

She can't swallow the pill. 98%S
She can't swallow the facts. 99.6%N

This is marvelous. 75%N
This is simply marvelous. 92%N
This is absolutely marvelous. 79%N
This is somewhat marvelous. 63%N
This is in no way marvelous. 73%N
This is really not marvelous at all. 76%S
This is not as marvelous as the time we stayed at my uncle's house. 99% S

Who?/What?/Where?/When? 50%S
How?/Why?/Why not? 100%N

Bring an extra pair of ________. 100%S

Do you believe in love? 100%N
Do you believe in ghosts? 64%N
Do you believe in God? 100%N
Do you believe in Satan? 64%N
Do you believe in anything? 64%N
Do you believe in me? 100%S
Do you believe in yourself? 100%S
Do you believe? 98%S

Do you believe in tomorrow? 64%N
Do you believe in yesterday? 64%N
Do you believe in today? 68%S

It is cold in here. 99% S
The truth is cold. 100% N

How do you feel today? 85% S

Why can't we all be like that? 57% N
Are we all like that? 62%N
Are they all like that? 53%S
We all. 68%S
They all. 79%S
We all are like that. 53%N
They all are like that. 54%S

How many sheep are in the field? 61%N
How can people act like such sheep? 92%N
Act like. 100%S
People act like 96%N

Abstract idea./Concrete details. 100%S

NERDSIES...

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you summarize your conclusion? I'm a little tired to actually read all that.