• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

someone please explain Ni to me!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ni is somewhere around Fi on the list of functions that I fully understand... my major experiences with it in the inferior position are rather negative, I fear and I'd like a better understanding of the function if anyone will be kind enough to do so! :)

thanks!

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's imaginary. ;)

{something about symbols and mystic conclusions and the future}

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:cry: that's exactly what I feared!

Jaguar

There are books out there which discuss every function your pretzel-baking heart desires. :wink:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
books?!?! why would I read them when I can pick the minds of others?! :horor:

hmmm... pretzels DO sound delicious though... :drool:

Jaguar

books?!?! why would I read them when I can pick the minds of others?! :horor:

hmmm... pretzels DO sound delicious though... :drool:

What? You don't like to read books? :steam::steam::steam::steam:
I want some of your pretzel bread!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I read fun books, I ask questions of others on conceptual information, because I learn better from picking the minds of other people in a way :blush:

I don't even leave home without a book :laugh:

I shall send you some pretzel bread then! :cheese:

Jaguar

Introverted iNtuition (Ni)

* Foreseeing
* Conceptualizing
* Understanding complex patterns
* Synthesizing and symbolizing
* Future

"This is how it will be."
"Aha, that's it!"

When Ni is a preferred process:

* You usually feel a certainty about what is going to happen, often without much detail and without being able to trace the actual data that would support the prediction.
* You focus on "what will be."
* You are energized by transformational visions of how someone can grow or of a completely original approach to get there.
* You are drawn to make those visions manifest.
* Frequently you experience flashes of insight that present themselves as broad themes and patterns or systems of thought without being triggered by external events.
* Inner images come as a knowing that taps into universal symbols and with a certainty that they are true.

Introverted Intuiting is about Seeking Insights and Meanings

It focuses on:

* Identifying underlying meaning
* Identifying the inter-relatedness of data
* Synthesizing the information to reveal the "golden nuggets"

Its approach is to:

* Just state how or what action to take
* Rely on insight to develop vision for the future
* Envision without the need for tangible support

Introverted Intuiting's verbal communications are delivered in absolutes with a quest for meaning, i.e.:

* "Why?"
* Identifying the hidden meaning
* States what is going on behind the scenes

Introverted Intuiting's nonverbal cues are: reflective, serious, and confident; may appear complex, disengaged; could appear hesitant to respond.

To build rapport with introverted Intuiting, we can try:

* Providing a theoretical framework
* Using symbolic, conceptual language
* Relating concrete experience to theories
* Asking them to show you how they made their connections
* Asking for the long-term vision

Here are the sorts of complaints we make about introverted Intuiting when we feel uncomfortable. We say the person is...

* Serious and arrogant
* Complex and vague
* Theoretical or lacking specifics
* Inflexible and adversarial
* Out of touch with reality

Extraverted iNtuiting (Ne)

* Inferring
* Hypothesizing
* Seeing possibilities
* Wondering and brainstorming
* Emergent

"This is what might be."
"It could be this or this or this or . . ."

When Ne is a preferred process:

* Much reading "between the lines" occurs.
* Potential possibilities and meanings are "revealed" and must be explored.
* Energized by discovering other perspectives in an ever-shifting succession of ideas or insights triggered by the particular situation, much like brainstorming.
* You frequently experience a flight of ideas that brings relevant pieces of information from one context into another.
* "What is" is not seen for what it is but for its relationship to other things.
* Everything is perceived in a context of a web of relationships. Nothing stands alone or is disconnected.

Extraverted Intuiting is about Seeking Patterns and Possibilities

It focuses on:

* Possibilities for the future
* Identifying connections and patterns within the data
* Connecting the current situation with other possible situations -- what could be

Its approach is to:

* Propose options
* Respond enthusiastically to the ideas of others
* Get excited about doing something differently

Extraverted Intuiting's verbal communications are delivered through possibilities, i.e.:

* "We could do this, or maybe that"
* Connects the dots without drawing the lines
* Rapid delivery following stream-of-consciousness thought

Extraverted Intuiting's nonverbal cues are: energetic, excited, enthusiastic; bounces easily from one topic to another; enjoys the rush of something new.

To build rapport with extraverted Intuiting, we can try:

* Presenting the big picture first
* Remaining open to new ideas
* Providing opportunities to brainstorm alternatives
* Allowing room to explore options without judgment
* Avoiding the need for accurate details

Here are the sorts of complaints we make about extraverted Intuiting when we feel uncomfortable. We say it's:

* Lacking in follow-through
* Random, flighty, and chaotic
* Too comfortable with inaccurate specifics and detail
* Disrespectful of traditional approaches
* Overly optimistic and enthusiastic

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think you use Ni when you look at something and instead of seeing it directly, you instead look beyond the object (person or thing) to see what it really is or what it could be, what is causing it to be the way it is, or what you can do to it to make it be something else. That is why it is so anathema to Se, because with Se you are so used to just really seeing everything, as it is. So I think you could arrive nearly at the same place, but just go about it a whole different way. It's hard to sustain Ni thinking for an S type, because it involves too much living in the future or in "what if" and "how about this" scenarios.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Ni is somewhere around Fi on the list of functions that I fully understand... my major experiences with it in the inferior position are rather negative, I fear and I'd like a better understanding of the function if anyone will be kind enough to do so! :)

thanks!

Primary Ni is a preferance for trying to find the absolute truth of something, once all the preconcieved ideas, perceptions and wishfull thinking have been swept aside. This will extend to cover both theoretical ideas, and also notions about what is or isn't possible or going to happen.

When given an idea, the Ni will want to know what made that idea exist in the first place. Without that knowledge, how can you ever know if it is absolutely true, or just the product of something else?

THis is the reason why NJs will often do things that others consider ridiculous or improbable. They have simple considered the conventional wisdom and been unable to find a basis in truth for it.

As you move down the function order, it gets less sophisticated and controlled. By the time you reach the inferior position, it is largely inactive, and when it kicks in, it often just grabs hold of some notion the user likes (or dreads) and declares it true, without actually bothering to check.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

thanks!

Well since you are not a Ni skilled person I will spare you of the theory that you already head so many times. (which btw provides very weak explanation)

Instead I will give you a 20 min video on you tube that is slowly shifting away from Se persective towards Ni persective of reality. (watch it whole to get the point)

Link

Enjoy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've seen that video before! I love science things (including watching documentaries on the universe whenever I have a night home alone :holy:) So it's that odd function that causes that feeling of wonder about the things I CAN'T touch, lick or see?! :thinking:

and also from what else was posted... so Ni is that function that you see when you are watching a detective program, and the normally ISTJ detective decides to follow a hunch and is right? :huh:

and VF... you've made me glad that it's not one of my primary functions! :laugh:

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I've seen that video before! I love science things (including watching documentaries on the universe whenever I have a night home alone :holy:) So it's that odd function that causes that feeling of wonder about the things I CAN'T touch, lick or see?! :thinking:

Basicly ? Yes.

sculpting

aliens use Ni mostly I have determined.

Every now and then i get a tiny peek of Ni, mostly from INTJ contamination. Silly things can share it with others it turns out.

When this happens I feel like my Ne turns internal and becomes hyperfocused on one thing. Instead of branching outwards along all tangents, instead it tries to dive inwards and keeps cycling back to the thing of interest.

If it is an object-like a tree or cloud-I will actually start intuiting patterns out of the clouds.

Not like "wow that cloud looks like a dragon" but more "That cloud IS A DRAGON" It just is. It is a cloud. but it is a dragon. Or with a tree, it is a tree-but it is also a women peering at me through her hair, All of the trees become symbolic beauties watching me. Yet the fucking things are still just trees. It is WEIRD.

The first times I noted thst this might be glimpses of Ni, I laughed but then thought, neat, but what the hell do you do with this?

However what I can do is take all the Ne connections/patterns stored back in TeSi and "do stuff" with it. Then CRAZY shit just drops out of thin air. I am always left with the fact that none of it can be correct, yet it seems so very correct.

Ni=aliens.

EDIT:So I assume you multiple this weirdness by 100 and you have what the Ni doms can do...Pretty cool.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:thinking:

I've always thought that my ISTJ must have fairly well developed Ni because of the things that he manages to pluck out of thin air... and his odd tendancy to make offhanded predictions about things that turn out to be oddly accurate... and his hunches on things are always worth paying attention to :dry:

get him on one of his theoretical pets, like the topic of god or the joys of predicting global economic futures and he pulls stuff out of who knows where... :shock:.. I hide theoretical books from him for that reason :thelook:

so Ni is kind of like Ne made out of spiderwebs in a way? :huh:

*tries to process things*

sculpting

:thinking:

I've always thought that my ISTJ must have fairly well developed Ni because of the things that he manages to pluck out of thin air... and his odd tendancy to make offhanded predictions about things that turn out to be oddly accurate... and his hunches on things are always worth paying attention to :dry:

get him on one of his theoretical pets, like the topic of god or the joys of predicting global economic futures and he pulls stuff out of who knows where... :shock:.. I hide theoretical books from him for that reason :thelook:

so Ni is kind of like Ne made out of spiderwebs in a way? :huh:

*tries to process things*

ISTJs have amazing Si libraries and they seem to remember everything-he could be using Ne to connect it all? I dunno...just making stuff up.

State and U had really good thoughts on Ni awhile back on another thread-wait it was your thread about Si I think....

If Ne is an explosion outwards-I take an idea and try and map in out to every possible direction I can-and fill in all the gaps with Ne connections...They instead can identify holes in a net, hyperfocus on the holes and then figure out what fits there....

But yeah you need the Ni doms for this one.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@ the Ren clip... if that is "Ni Illustrated," I am scared of when mine, hidden right now as the 5th most used, might attack...
And it seems like INxJs must endure a lot of mental torture =/