• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you find that people notice your dominant function more or your auxillary?

FalseHeartDothKnow

MBTI Type
INFP
Hi,
Just wondering what people thought of this, and whether they had similar experiences.

An example...As an Fi dominant person I find myself relating personally to a lot of experiences people have had in my speech, it's instinctual, and until I monitored myself for experimental MBTI purposes, I didn't realise I did it at all.

Recently though, I have found that people associate me more with my Ne, the random connections, ideas and contexts I can get into everyday conversations (even though to me this 'library' of contexts is quite limited as I only tend to remember the things that have felt drawn to, particularly repelled by, or had some strong emotional reaction to, the rest seems to fall by the wayside fairly quickly) I have built, and am mostly thinking of a fairly consistant and coherant 'inner' safe place, but most people I know won't get in there because it's private.

So, a question: In both MBTI theory and your personal experience, do people recognise you for your dominant or auxillary function most?

sculpting

I think typically it is the extroverted function as that is what they can see externalized. Thus they may underrate an introverted person as instead of judging you based upon Fi-your most well developed function, they instead see Ne-your aux which is not as well developed as an Ne dom for instance.

gromit

likes this
I think typically it is the extroverted function as that is what they can see externalized. Thus they may underrate an introverted person as instead of judging you based upon Fi-your most well developed function, they instead see Ne-your aux which is not as well developed as an Ne dom for instance.

Yes, this makes sense...

But I think my good INFP friend is recognized by her Fi (though obviously most people do not use that term), her introspection, by her thoughtfulness, her deeply-held values, by her sincerity and compassion. I think people first just see her quietness, but then as they observe more, they begin to see that she has so much wisdom and such depth of soul.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
It'll be the extraverted function for most people, aside from famous people who are known for work that requires usage of an introverted function.

People see my Te the most....controlling, efficiency, planning, analysis. It's hard to miss the extraverted function.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, this makes sense...

But I think my good INFP friend is recognized by her Fi (though obviously most people do not use that term), her introspection, by her thoughtfulness, her deeply-held values, by her sincerity and compassion. I think people first just see her quietness, but then as they observe more, they begin to see that she has so much wisdom and such depth of soul.

I agree with Oro.

Your friend's Fi might be stronger or her Ne weaker. We are all different. We all have different ways we've developed to interject our presence into the world. Strong introversion will tone down the extroverted functions and increase the dominance of the introverted ones.

Most people don't see my dominant unless I'm on a forum or I know them IRL or I have a reason to tackle something intellectually (like on the job). My most comfortable mode socially nowadays (once I got over that geeky Ti "talk about philosophy and heady stuff at casual gatherings" mode) is an Ne/Fe combination. Some people got acquainted with my musical skills first and viewed me as far more feeling and creative in nature, and were surprised when they engaged me on an intellectual basis; they had not realized how much and intensely I *think* all the time.

Lily Bart

MBTI Type
INFP
Most people see me first off as quiet and responsible, which would be Introversion and Judgement. Then, I've been described quite often as gracious, which I guess would be Fe. Finally, people who know me well describe me as "really smart" which I guess is Ni, but I don't know that "really smart" does justice to Ni -- so I don't really know how all this fits into the original question, but anyway, I thought I'd just throw it out there to add something to the discussion!

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
IxFJs are just graceful in general, especially when dealing with people. I love to watch them interacting with others because it's like they glide through the conversations seamlessly.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think they see the warmth first (Fe), then they feel the weirdness (Ni).

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd agree with what Orabas said, too. When I'm out, people notice me more for my Se, even if I'm being introverted. People relate me to the "free-spirit", "down-to-earth" type right off the bat. However, people at work and previously people in classes more frequently see me for my Ti.

yvonne

A passer by
MBTI Type
INfP
Enneagram
5w4
IxFJs are just graceful in general, especially when dealing with people. I love to watch them interacting with others because it's like they glide through the conversations seamlessly.

yeah, INFJs are very interesting to me, because they are so graceful, yet i always get the feeling that there's more to them... as there obviously is! it's just for me, it's hard to get to know them... they seem very caring and genuinely interested in you, though.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
yeah, INFJs are very interesting to me, because they are so graceful, yet i always get the feeling that there's more to them... as there obviously is! it's just for me, it's hard to get to know them... they seem very caring and genuinely interested in you, though.

You can tell the difference between an IxFJ and ExFJ so easily. An ExFJ is not nearly as deliberate and graceful. The Fe is carefully directed, rather than aimed around you.

Usehername

On a mission
Positive comments relate to people noticing Ni, negative comments relate to people annoyed when I Te in their business.

Charmed Justice

Nickle Iron Silicone
MBTI Type
INFJ
Dominant function. Positive comments about me are usually that I'm "warm", "friendly", and "helpful". People who know me well also call me "weird", "out there", "insightful", and "purpose driven".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
If I were to go by what people first notice, and notice from a distance IRL, I would think I had Fe (which I did, in fact, before I came here): warm, friendly, talkative, devoted, outspoken, bossy. I remember once when we did a group project for my appalachian studies class I kind of took control of it, no one really seemed to mind, but a couple people told me to calm down they would have the stuff on time (at the last fucking minute). That might be tertiary Te, though.

You know, then later when people get to know me all the talk about how weird or 'creative' I am starts. I also get called "quick learner" a lot and people usually trust me to handle things, like they think I'm competent or in control. In fact, I can trick people so much sometimes into thinking I'm in control IRL that it freaks them out to find out how emo and sensitive I really am. I can hide it well, depends on how you know me.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think my aux Ti is as visible as my dom Ne and if pushed to pick one over the other I suspect most people, esp in a work environment, would see my Ti more as my Ne connections are often unspoken.

People who know me and know MBTI wouldn't been confused about my dominant function but esp in that work environment I can be pretty closed, private, anti-social, inexpressive emotionally and read as direct and cold.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think people mostly just see quiet (Fi) and sometimes weird/surprising (Ni).

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't think people notice my functions at all.

But that's probably because I stopped wearing them on the outside of my clothes.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Also in other people I know who's types are verified and undisputed:

ISFP: Se is waaaaaay more obvious
INFJ: Ni is clearer
ISTJ: Te for one, both for the other
ISFJ: Fe comes out strong
ISTP: Ti is way clearer

... in other words I don't think your extroverted function is always going to be more visible, it depends on what you show people, it's behaviour based and therefore not accurate or consistent, people are complex.

CuriousFeeling

From the Undertow
MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dominant Ni function, for sure. One of my college professors described me as having a vibrant personality, and my closest friends take notice that I have a deep imagination.

G

Glycerine

Fe supposedly comes off strong but Ni seems pretty hidden unless you read my academic papers. But then some people see a strong Ni+Ti combo with semi hidden Fe (pretty abrasive sometimes). It really depends on the situation.
Compared to my ENFJ teacher, I seem to engage more in a Ni+Ti hat while he wears a much bigger Fe+Ni hat. Let's just say he's a lot more personable while I come off pretty critical/analytical.

Most of the INFPs I know seem to have really strong Ne over Fi. A couple are insanely Fi that the Ne seems subtle.

I have a eNTP teacher: He's pretty personable, is a discordant speaker, really tenderhearted (he will sound staunch with rules but he gives in pretty easily. At first glance, he comes off like a F type with strong N (that is if you don't come off as a complete moron... which I did.. lol) but once you start listening to him extendedly, it's rather clear that he's NT of some sort.