• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types one letter off

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
One thing you really messed up... INFP's have Ne as their auxiliary, Fi is your auxiliary. If Fi were your tertiary, you'd be an IxTJ. If Ne were someone's inferior, they'd be an ISxJ. But your descriptions make sense otherwise. :yes:

Anyway, mine:

INFP

We couldn't be more different. I don't understand how they think at all, but when I make the effort to communicate with them, they really do seem like nice people who try to do what they think is right first and foremost, even if I don't agree with them about what is right, or even understand how they came to their conclusions about what was right. I'm typically irritated by their tacit confidence that their belief is justified, even though they can't explain it. I want to be nice to them, because I feel and admire their depth (which often seems more than mine), but they have an element I feel repelled by, and they report a similar response to me. So many of the things they say bring out a side of me that reminds me of a disgruntled tech support person who's frustrated with users that can't understand what they're saying until they make it as simple and obvious as possible, and then have to put up that same user complaining that they were condescending, and I don't know why that is. At they same time, they make me feel like no matter what I do, I'm not as good a person as they are, like I'll never be as "real/human" as they are. I don't think it's intentional, but that's the effect.

ENFJ

We can communicate similarly on the surface, at least. They seem to have a lot of energy and zest for life, which enables them to do things I just don't have the energy for but would like to do. It seems like they're more concerned with appearances than I am, and are better at coming across well and responding to sudden, subtle changes in the atmosphere of the situation that I wouldn't even detect. But there's something a little off-putting about them that makes me feel like they want something from me that I don't really want to give, but that they're trying to convince me that I do want it... I constantly feel like I have to be vigilant to avoid being manipulated, because they're just "too perfect." This intensifies when I see them criticizing an INTP's behavior, and it makes me feel like they want to force everyone to live up to their ideal by slow, clever manipulation and distortion of facts in their favor. It usually results me trying to make excuses for the INTP (because INTP's don't seem to defend themselves at all against emotional criticism and let it hit them at full force internally whether it's justified or not, unless someone else defends them convincingly.)

ISFJ

We're similar on the surface, in that we both try to be nice but inconspicuous most of the time, and worry about other's safety and well-being frequently. We both seem to have a good ability to absorb/recall information that interest us. The main difference is that I seem to have a greater need to know why I'm doing something, and seem much spacier, absent-minded, and more impractical than an ISFJ. I don't know many ISFJ's, so I can't elaborate.

INTJ

They're very blunt, but I can tell that they're doing it out of a desire to help people as a whole in some way, and that they are really passionate about their ideas. They really seem to understand how to make things work effectively in general. They can always introduce a new perspective on things for me, although they can seem oblivious to the exact nature of a system's interconnections and just how/why it works (but somehow seem to make it work). Their passion can help me get motivated to pursue things that are important to me, when they express it. It's almost like they have some of what the INFP's do (that depth), but instead of forcing it on me without understanding where I'm "at," they just reveal it to me in a way I can accept it (and are better at explaining what/why they believe something). It's like the difference between someone trying to force a glass of murky water down your throat, and someone offering you a glass of clean, clear water. I don't know why it feels that way.

That's how I respond to my "off-by-one" types.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
There's probably a good reason why the "one letter" offs don't feel so close. It is because they are not... The key thing here is function order.

Let's take as an example, INFP and ENFP, being one letter off your function.

ENFP experiences the world through extraverted intuition, and this is also their dominant function. Introverted feelings sit behind rating this stuff, but take second place. So you live for your intuition, and everyone can see this.

INFP experience the world through the same extraverted intuition, but it takes second place to their dominant intraverted feelings. The intuition is just a collector of ideas for the values and feelings to judge them. So the INFP lives for the feelings inside, but everyone sees the intuition on the outside.

So, although there is only one letter difference, a completely different function is dominant. The dominant function has, as you might expect, a major impact on how a person "is".

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Merged and moved to MBTI, Enneagram, and other personality matrices (sorry Cze :smile:)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
No, that's fine. I wrote a serious post! Whoo-hoo! I'm going to rub Edahn's nose in it in his 'who writes the best posts thread'. :)

I should check out 'Other Psychology Topics' more often.

And on a related note, I liked Athenian's in depth response like mine. :nods: And...I blame the interwebs for the functions mix up. :)

And Geoff, yes, those 1 letters are deceptive! With that post I tried getting into socionics explanations starting with IEE (ENFP) and typing and yikes...I'm going to stick with MBTI for now.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
My options...

INTP
ISFP
ENFP
INFJ

I guess I relate to the INTP discriptions the most out of those, although I really don't relate to it much, even if I once tested as INTP.

Ezra

Luctor et emergo
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Which type that is one letter off from you do you feel closest and most similar/connected to, and which do you feel most distant from?

I feel closest to INTJ. I feel furthest from ISFP.

he one I feel absolutely nothing same with is ISFJ. It feels as though we live on the complete opposite of the spectrum of realms.

Then surely that would make you an ENTP.

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
ENFJ is closest definitely and absolutely.
ESTJ is the one most far away.

LucrativeSid

I feel closest to INTP and farthest from ENTJ, which is not surprising, considering all the functions involved.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I feel closest to INTP and farthest from ENTJ, which is not surprising, considering all the functions involved.

That's interesting you say that. My sister, ENTJ- has told me that she feels closest to ENTPs/INTPs and ESTPs/ESTJs and INTPs/INTJs.

The types she can superficially understand but whom she finds "draining" are ENFPs and ISFPs, the latter whom she has a hard time comprehending most of the time, imho, lol.

Anyhow, enough about her. About me-

I feel closest to ENTJs. I have a problem with ENTPs, mainly because they like to question what I ask them to do. However, I'm very similiar to my sister in the people we get on very well with. I'm not entirely convinced it's about personality type however, but more about communication styles. As an ESTJ and my sister ENTJ- we're very straightforward. We hate manipulative games in our personal relationships because we're both very good at discerning it in other aspects of our lives. I guess my philosophy has been, when you come home at the end of the day fighting and playing with the best of them, you want someone you can trust and be straightforward with you, and not make you think they are a total headcase who needs a shrink.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I was driving to work today, and I was behind a huge, shiny, red pickup truck with an NRA sticker in the back windshield. It had a vanity plate that read "NTROVERT." I felt like Mandy Patinkin as Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I feel closest to ENTJ; they make perfect sense to me though their efficiency sometimes intimidates me. INFJ is a close second; my INFJ friends and I get the way each other's minds work, though we have completely different priorities.

INTP and ISTJ share a distant third place. I don't feel particularly close to either of them compared with types I share fewer than three letters with. I actually think I feel closer to ESTJ (;)) and to all the other N types than I do to ISTJ and INTP - but I suppose that could be because I don't have any INTP or ISTJ friends whereas I have friends of the other types. Or is it the other way around? :thinking:

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I definitely feel closest to the INTP. INTP's and INFP's often have similar interests and lifestyles.The next type is ENFP. These types are so much fun to be around and they seem to understand me better than people of other types (including the INTP), which include my twin. Finally come the INFJ & ISFP, I don't have problems with these types either. Some of the deepest and most passionate people I know are INFJ's. As for the ISFP, they are so easy to be around. I like that. I feel that I can be myself around ISFP's really quickly and they won't care.

To come to think of it, I rarely have problems with any of the types. I know a couple of ESTJ's I get along with actually.
Overall, the only types I ever get into serious conflicts with are the ST types.

deep rain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Are you basing this on experience or theory? Have you met all types? I know the type of people I enjoy being around, so based on what I have read it would most likely be ISFP.

Go both ways. Whichever experience you can use that best benefits.
As for meeting all the types, I have met the types that are one letter off from me.

Then surely that would make you an ENTP.

No, it's because ISFJs are Ss, and INFJs are Ns. That comes down to which "realm" you're planted in.

Last edited:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
I feel like I can talk about anything with INFPs. It's rare that they're offended by subject matter and when I do accidentally insult them I find it very easy to charm them again. They're fun to torture with mindgames as well. :devil:

ISTPs are probably next. I can feel a real kinship with people who hate other people as much as me.

ENTPs can be pretty entertaining yet selfish and INTJs can sometimes be accomodating but irritating, I'm not sure who to put last.

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
As either an ISFJ with high N or an INFJ with high S, I identify with and have friends of both types.

I feel closest to INFPs and have several very good friends of that type. And I have a good INTJ friend whose Te thinking I understand quite well.

ESFJ, ENFJ or ISTJ? I'm definitely not an E or ST. I'm not an NT either, but I relate very well to some of them.

I don't think I know any ISFPs.

Jae Rae

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Which type that is one letter off from you do you feel closest and most similar/connected to, and which do you feel most distant from?

I feel closest to the INTJ, though I still do feel far from them. The one I feel absolutely nothing same with is ISFJ. It feels as though we live on the complete opposite of the spectrum of realms.

Most similar, difficult: INTJ or ENTP? Probably the J...
Distant? INFP, sure.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I seem close to all types one letter off, to include: ESTP, ISFP, INTP, ISTJ.

Kirkadonna

MBTI Type
entp
ENTP
I'm very close to ENFP(once in a while i even score enfp)
I'm very very far from ESTP.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How well do you feel you relate to and understand your 1 letter off types?

I know variations of this have been asked lots of times, but I don't know if I'm repeating a specific thought/question or not... I thought I remembered reading a thread along this idea before but I can't think of what to put in search to find it... soooo heres a new thread.

At first I thought of directing this just toward NFs since thats my main curiosity, but I'm interested in what everyone else has to say on this too.

How well do you relate to and understand your 1 letter off types?

Self - INFP (sometimes less certain of it than others :))
----

ENFP
Of all the 1 letter off types for me, I think ENFP is the one I have the easiest time understanding and relate to the most often. ENFPs represent what I think I'd be like if I were less self conscious and self monitoring (and a lot more outgoing). The old saying, "they say what I'm thinking but would (probably) not say myself" applies to a lot of their posts. The few people IRL that I suspect to be ENFPs I get along with better than most types, and their energy eventualy starts to rub off on me, but after spending a lot of time around them, I do need introverted re-charge time to recover from the extroversion.

ISFP
My experiences with ISFPs are minimal, but the connection on Fi seems to create good compatibility and understanding of values based motivations, but the Ne/Se divide sometimes makes communications feel awkward (like I don't know what they want/expect in the conversation and the same probably applies to them too)

INTP
I feel like I often reach the same conclusion about ideas as them and would react in a very similar way in a lot of situations, but I really don't feel like I understand their thought process and we are arriving at the same destination by very different roads and usually have different reasons for wanting the same things. I think INTPs are the among the easist types for me to get along with, but are also one of the most difficult to understand.

INFJ
Some of them I feel like I understand very well (sometimes as much or more than other INFPs), but a lot of them are very mysterious to me and describe things in their thought process that make sense but I don't relate to (the majority of them I feel like I understand some of the time but not all the time, a couple I feel like I nearly always understand, and some I feel like I never understand). I think I have a fairly strong Ni, and I think that has a lot to do with the times where I feel like I understand exactly where they are coming from and what they are thinking, but I'm not sure if the times of confusion are from my Ni not being quite as strong as theirs, from Fi/Fe diferences or Te/Ti diferences, or just how the functions preferences all interact as type diferences. As a side note, I often feel like I understand INTJs better than INFJs, so my suspicion is that Ni differences is not the source of the confusion.