• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types one letter off

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
INTJ (most)
ENTP
ISTP
INFP (least)

Usehername

On a mission
I'm an INTJ.

I look most like an introverted NFJ when I'm consciously finding people to socialize for personal connection. I look like an INTP when I'm being a smartass. I look like an ISTJ when I am working. I look like an extraverted NTJ when I'm organizing things.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
I'm an INFJ.

I feel very strongly my type, but I am weakest on the F/T so I suppose I'll say I'm closest to INTJ. Though, the longer I'm out of school, the further apart my T/F tests.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Assuming I'm INTP, INTJ.
Assuming I'm ENTP, ENFP.
Assuming I'm ENFP, ESFP.
Assuming I'm INFP, INFJ.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel most similar to INTJs than any other type, actually...enough that I still doubt my type fairly often.

If I had to choose from the one-letter-off types, INTP>ISFP>ESTP>>ISTJ.

ygolo

My termites win
I feel most similar to INFP
I get along best with ENTPs and ISTPs. (Lets face it, they're fun!)
I respect INTJs but am fairly distant from them.

sassafrassquatch

I feel closest to INTPs since I'm more of a concrete INTP than the daredevil mechanic ISTP stereotype. ISTJs would be next most familiar. All the NFs feel completely foreign to me since they conflict with my ST.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Assuming I'm INTP, INTJ.
Assuming I'm ENTP, ENFP.
Assuming I'm ENFP, ESFP.
Assuming I'm INFP, INFJ.
This is the only one I'm confused by.

All the others are intuitive dominant... why wouldn't this one be ENTP? What's different?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Closest

1.) Mature INFJs w/ a developed T
2.) Calm, open-minded INTPs
3.) ISTJs w/ a developed N
4.) INFPs
5.) ENTPs

Furthest

1.) ESFJs
2.) ISFJs

autumn

MBTI Type
eNFP
I am an ENFP.

I feel most kinship with INFPs, maybe even more because I suspect I am only moderately extraverted. Next would be ENTPs, which is great since I am married to one. ;)

I can definitely see similarities with ENFJ, which would probably be the next-closest; and then ESFP would probably be last.

Of course, there are many other factors that make people more or less compatible, but strictly speaking as far as MBTI types and type dynamics go, this order kind of makes sense.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESFPs are pretty cool...they get me all pumped and stuff, and they appreciate when I get all deep and nerdy on them since we click all the time anyways. Don't always concentrate when they need to, but it gets to them eventually.

I'm not sure if I know any INFPs but I do have a few hunches. They make great conversation and company, that's all I know for sure.

ENTPs are crazy crazy awesome. I don't like it when they're serious, though- it's really scary. Thankfully, these are rare occasions.

ENFJs are pretty different from me. We have great fun though...occasional deadlocks of accomodation, but it's okay..

lazyhappy

entp, intj

edit-
entp- smart, witty, fun to talk/be with
intj- can annoy me sometimes with thier unchanging oppinion but... i still like talking to them

can i type 2 off? i will anyway- infj
infj- i get along with them well...

Hypomanic

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTP, INTJ, ENTJ, ENTP, + ISTJ, off hand.

Though, I can get along with anyone who is healthy, no matter what type.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You defiantly don't think like that? Interesting word use. Regardless, if Fi is clearly your "dominant trait," then I am willing to bet that you are an INFP. Have you taken the Jungian cognitive processes test yet?

Ummm, well... it was a typo, and one the spell checker did not catch - Freudian typo? :)

Ya, I've taken the cognitive process test, and on it, I got results I'd expect (high Fi, high Ni, mid Ne and low/mid Fe and Si and low Se, Te and Ti (the low Ti is the only part that surprised me)). There is also a "mental muscle" test that if you goto the advanced report list a ranking of cognitive functions, I know a lot of people think that as well as the cognitive function test are BS, but its the one that I've felt the most comfortable with and has results that seem to match my self perception. I've gotten slightly different results each time I take it (variations in mood) but the end results are fairly close. Most resent results (code GCSA)...

Fi - 30, Ni - 28, Ne - 24, Ti - 23, Fe - 12, Si - 11, Se - 7, Te - 5
----------
INFP - 94%,
INFJ - 82%, INTP - 76%, ENFP - 76%, ISFP - 75%
And those are the top 5 results by %

Possible alternative theories...

I could be an INFJ that does not have much value of typical Fe stuff
I could be a very very repressed ENFP.
INTx seems very doubtful, but I can't deny its usually easy for me to understand them.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Which type that is one letter off from you do you feel closest and most similar/connected to, and which do you feel most distant from?

I feel closest to the INTJ, though I still do feel far from them. The one I feel absolutely nothing same with is ISFJ. It feels as though we live on the complete opposite of the spectrum of realms.
Are you basing this on experience or theory? Have you met all types? I know the type of people I enjoy being around, so based on what I have read it would most likely be ISFP.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
Which type that is one letter off from you do you feel closest and most similar/connected to, and which do you feel most distant from?

I feel closest to the INTJ, though I still do feel far from them. The one I feel absolutely nothing same with is ISFJ. It feels as though we live on the complete opposite of the spectrum of realms.
Are the ends in the middle?

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
(reply to red13;93055 who I just can't seem to be able to quote)

I wouldn't say I *don't* get along with INTJs. I like working with them a lot actually. But on a personal level, there's never really a driving force to get to know each other better with the (assumed) INTJs I've met.

I think it's pretty common to not be sure on the N/S dimension. If you believe in cognitive functions, it is my second, and I'm probably still developing in that area. I don't mind. I'm not even sure what Ne is supposed to be sometimes!:D

Now that I think about though, I probably "get" other IPs the best, or rather, the fastest. Followed by EJs. (EPs are intimidating. And IJs are just ... secretive.) So it's not just INTJs. I'd love to get to know a number of interesting people of all types in RL, I'm probably just bad at it.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I have strong similarities to ISFP, INTP, and INFJ, but am oddly distant from ENFP.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
One Letter Off

Alright, this should appease those looking for 'meatier' MBTI topics. Though honestly, I don't have enough depth into psych. typing to add much into explanations myself. I just found this exercise interesting and personally helpful.

I was just thinking about my 'sibling' types of MBTI, the types that are 1 letter off from ENFP. And how odd it is that I don't really identify with some types and can feel kinship with others. That 1 letter is deceiving!

So if folks are interested, here is a place to type your feelings and in particular your relatibility to the other types that are 1 letter off from yours. You can add all sorts of function and psychology insights as explanations or just post your personal feelings and observations.

First up -- me! ENFP

INFP-- It puzzled me that this type on paper looks so similar to me and yet I don't really 'get' them. I don't really know an INFP IRL so that attributes to it. Then I read up and I realized that function wise, we're quite different! Their dominant (Fi) is my tertiary and my dominant (Ne) is their inferior. Very different animals despite the similar letters. And the introversion/extraversion makes such a huge difference. INFPs to me seem very calm, and I don't think I'm a calm person myself. INFPs also seem even more... timid and dreamier? Extroversion can make ENFP aggressive in our enthusiasm or ideals, but I really get the impression INFP is almost as far away from aggressive that you can get. Though I have heard that inside every INFP is a refomer/champion. When I think of INFP I think of the classical archetype of the romantic poet or counselor. I think INFP has more kinship with INTP in a way or at least in the way they come off to the world, though I think INFP has a softer energy and more social. And personally, the thorn in my side is kinda I already feel 'too nice' and the idea of being even nicer, more sensitive, and moodier is not appealing to me, no offense my INFP siblings. So perhaps we are more alike than I thought.

ENTP- I feel more affinity and personal kinship with ENTP. We share Ne and our secondary and tertiary are switched. Which is kinda funny considering that ENTPs are supposed to be the extroverted thinkers and yet their secondary is INTROVERTED thinking (Ti) and to top it off have extroverted feeling as tertiary (Fe). Whereas ENFP is supposed to be the extroverted touchy feely cheerleader and we have secondary EXTRAVERTED Te (which for me, gives me a propensity for debate) and our tertiary is feeling which is actuall introverted to boot (Fi) which gives me a propensity not to be as externally warm and fuzzy as I actually feel. The functions between ENFP and ENTP seem only partially complementary to me so I think this makes sense that ENFP and ENTP can look similar on the surface but can either end up butting heads or having great chemistry...or having great chemistry and still butting heads.

ENFJ - I personally admire ENFJs because they are like ENFPs who can actually get the job done and inspire respect from people by putting their foot down and calling people out. And are totally smooth about the whole thing. I think I knew an ENFJ IRL and we met in line during a lecture and hit it off and on the surface get along really well because we're both social, friendly, and aware of social dynamics and manners. He's a warm, well-liked guy but he will literally elbow you in the face if you cross him (this is in the context of a sports match). I actually admire that ability to switch gears and stand up for yourselves with no qualms. Decisive. Less likely to ge taken advantage of than an ENFP? I can totally see why ENFJ could excel in retail mgmt, when I read Lookin4TheBestInU's blog about her new career it made sense.

ESFP - I think I know one ESFP in real life and it's like on the surface we seem similar but there's something there that's not clicking. I think I am beginning to understand better the differences between SF and NF through conversations with her. But I'm not sure. Plus, there are no ESFPs on the forum that I know of, so this type of the four sibling types is most an enigma.

So that's it! I thought this was a fun and helpful exercise, maybe you will too. Or maybe you've already done so much thinking about functions and theory that you'll go :coffee: Either way, I look forward to reading responses. ;)